Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Clinton signed his tweet as PrezBillyJeff. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Vox has an unofficial guest list: http://www.vox.com/2014/12/19/7419893/colbert-finale-song

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Much as I'll miss the Colbert Report, that finale ranks up among the best things the show has done. They made the best of it, and I'm glad to see it go out on such a high note. :unsmith:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Winkie01 posted:

The worst thing about Colbert leaving is he is going to one of those god drat awful network late night shows where it is just celeb rear end kissing for a hour in a half* . I think I would rather have him just retire, oh well if there is anyone that can pull it off it's Colbert

*its rare that I ever watch a interview on TDS or Colbert

Craig Ferguson took the shitshow left by Kilborn and made it into something actually interesting, so there's a chance Colbert could do the same for the Late Show. Just so long as he doesn't get the same geriatric backlash Conan did.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Winkie01 posted:

The worst thing about Colbert leaving is he is going to one of those god drat awful network late night shows where it is just celeb rear end kissing for a hour in a half* . I think I would rather have him just retire, oh well if there is anyone that can pull it off it's Colbert

*its rare that I ever watch a interview on TDS or Colbert

Yeah I think a lot of us are worried about this. Not to mention the fact that it's an hour every single weeknight. In addition to the two comedy central shows, I'm not sure how I'd keep up with all that, if I even like it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

raditts posted:

Craig Ferguson took the shitshow left by Kilborn and made it into something actually interesting, so there's a chance Colbert could do the same for the Late Show. Just so long as he doesn't get the same geriatric backlash Conan did.

Yea if anything it's been shown a good personality can make this stuff fun, we learned it way back with Conan, we learned it more recently with Ferguson, I really don't think Colbert's gonna shift into Leno 2.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I need to share some sentimentalism about Colbert and this seems like the place for it.

You know how sometimes the news anchors of yore are referred to as if they were America's dads? Colbert had that effect on me. I thought he was great on Strangers With Candy and The Daily Show growing up, and my parents divorced some months before The Colbert Report came into being. The comic timing of the show clicked all the time, especially how it always veered between the silly and the righteous. I was able to see Colbert during one of his South Carolina stunts and he played the crowd beautifully. I feel a bit silly thinking of some comedian's news parody show as helping define an era of my life, but between transforming him into the missing patriarchal figure in my life and my formative college/career years, the Report will always mean a lot to me (plus, of course, everyone else's feelings on here).

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
I'll miss Colbert. I can't stand Wilmore's voice and his continuing refusal to be Jessica Williams.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That ending was pretty much perfect but I'll always be a little bit sad that the final image of the show wasn't Michael Stipe in a darkened studio saying "Hello? ...hello?"

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Soylentbits posted:

I'll miss Colbert. I can't stand Wilmore's voice and his continuing refusal to be Jessica Williams.

He's too old for me - he's 53 and older than both Colbert and Stewart, which is weird for a replacement.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
They missed Fallon and Oliver :(

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

fart blood posted:

I liked Tough Crowd because I loved how Colin Quinn could never ever put a complete sentence together.

I'm a real-life relative of Quinn, and he's like that at family gatherings too.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Space Fish posted:

I need to share some sentimentalism about Colbert and this seems like the place for it.

You know how sometimes the news anchors of yore are referred to as if they were America's dads? Colbert had that effect on me. I thought he was great on Strangers With Candy and The Daily Show growing up, and my parents divorced some months before The Colbert Report came into being. The comic timing of the show clicked all the time, especially how it always veered between the silly and the righteous. I was able to see Colbert during one of his South Carolina stunts and he played the crowd beautifully. I feel a bit silly thinking of some comedian's news parody show as helping define an era of my life, but between transforming him into the missing patriarchal figure in my life and my formative college/career years, the Report will always mean a lot to me (plus, of course, everyone else's feelings on here).

Nah dude, this is cool.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I loved that they put the cast of the Newsroom right next to Keith Olbermann. For those who dunno anything about The Newsroom, it's an Aaron Sorkin show about an anchor who was debateably inspired by Olbermann. Sorkin denied it though.

It's been a long time since I watched Colbert regularly, but this was really wonderful. I'm really excited to see him shake things up; this seems like the best possible way the Report could have ended.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Katie Couric going around and rehearsing everyone, including Patrick Stewart
:3:

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/KeithOlbermann/view/17663491

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Caught the 1:30am broadcast. I've always preferred The Daily Show, but I'm going to miss the Report, and they couldn't have ended it a better way, like a 9-year-long report as it went back to Jon. loving perfect.

Godspeed, Stephen. Can't wait to see him on CBS next year. He has some big shoes to fill.

Old James posted:

Here's a better one, Stephen saying goodbye to John during the song.

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/545806395548106752/photo/1

Very, very cool.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Old James posted:

Here's a better one, Stephen saying goodbye to John during the song.

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/545806395548106752/photo/1

This episode and the last month has been somehow such a feel good ending. Between this and Craig's show ending I'm just loving out of it man. I dunno how I'm going to handle it when John Stewart decides to leave.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

haveblue posted:

That ending was pretty much perfect but I'll always be a little bit sad that the final image of the show wasn't Michael Stipe in a darkened studio saying "Hello? ...hello?"
Considering Colbert's character was heavily inspired by Bill O'Reilly, I was expecting to see O'Reilly at least once. It would have been great.

Still an amazing last episode. I wouldn't have gotten into the Daily Show if it wasn't for the Colbert Report.

edit: vvv Nah, that was Dave Franco, Bill Murray, and some other folks I don't recognize. Also holy poo poo Jackie Chan was there vvv

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 19, 2014

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
I was almost certain I saw Bill standing in front of Cookie Monster.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was never a huge Colbert fan. I don't deny his talent and enjoyed the act, it just had a tendency to wear thin on me so I never really watched it for more than a couple of weeks at a time. But I watched the last month or so and I'm kind of surprised how into it I got. I've watched this farewell five times tonight, which really shocks me. It was just very well done. Sentimental without being sappy or losing the weird wit of Colbert. Instead of making a big show and pageantry he does a weird bit with one of the old bits in Cheating Death, does another musical number as he loves them, has all those people take part as it shows they all cared enough to take the time to be part of it, then another weird little goodbye, and then the very sweet Stewart Moment of Zen.

It got to me and I wasn't really expecting that because even though I was there nine years ago I haven't been watching steady and didn't consider myself a fan. But good is good.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I was a fan of what appeared to be Henry Kissinger clapping along.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
When the camera cut to another group of singers I figured their parts were pre-taped, but drat everybody really was there. What was the song that played over the credits?

Jesus I thought Jeff Tweedy was Peter Jackson.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Cool Cherry Cream posted:

When the camera cut to another group of singers I figured their parts were pre-taped, but drat everybody really was there. What was the song that played over the credits?

Jesus I thought Jeff Tweedy was Peter Jackson.

It was “Holland, 1945” by Neutral Milk Hotel, and it seems like it was chosen as a tribute to his late dad and brothers. :smith:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/12/19/the_colbert_report_finale_song_holland_1945_did_colbert_pay_tribute_to_his.html

I could have sworn I saw James Franco in that musical number, which would be impressive considering he's cancelled all of his other appearances this week.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I think a lot of us are worried about this. Not to mention the fact that it's an hour every single weeknight. In addition to the two comedy central shows, I'm not sure how I'd keep up with all that, if I even like it.

Well, to be fair, Conan and Craig Ferguson are pretty decent at loving with the format. So hopefully Colbert will be able to do it as well.:patriot:

Boy I'm going to miss this show. What a lovely finale. Like, genuinely beautiful. My wife and I were misty-eyed and singing throughout the whole "We'll Meet Again" segment. I've been a devotee of Colbert's since "Strangers With Candy," so his meteoric rise has always been a thrill for me. He's a genuinely great man, who did great things with his show. I doubt his new show will be as great, but who knows. A man can hope, and at the very least I think we can feel assured that it'll be watchable.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That was great, even with the audience being annoyingly loud once more. I was totally expecting a Grey Havens bit at the end though. I mean Stephen flying off with Santa, Unicorn Lincoln and Trebek was quite something but considering what a LOTR nerd he is it should've been Valinor or bust.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
One thing I hope that doesn't change in his new show is the cult of personality. Chanting of "Stephen! Stephen! Stephen!", the Who's Honoring Me Now stuff, just the general energy and tone that comes off. That is one of the strongest and most different aspects of the show.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

I got assigned to watch this at work tonight and was going in not realizing it was his last show, and I was definitely a mixture of almost shedding a tear during "We'll Meet Again" and just boggling at what was going on.

I started out annoyed with the audience for screaming so much when Jon came out, because it was like, come on guys it's just Jon...

I want to believe they were screaming the loudest for Big Bird.

Also, the sheer crazy coolness of our ambassador to the United Nations singing five feet away from Cookie Monster is just...I really hope his CBS show is as good as Craig Ferguson's. Among my coworkers, we all agree Ferg is the best of late night, Fallon's behind him, then Seth, Letterman, and Kimmel are all equally loathed.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Airborne Viking posted:

Considering Colbert's character was heavily inspired by Bill O'Reilly, I was expecting to see O'Reilly at least once. It would have been great.

I don't doubt that they probably reached out to him to come on but he probably turned them down, even though he's been on TDS plenty. Who knows. I did sort of expect some sort Bear reference. Maybe even going out by getting eaten by one. I don't recall he did anything with that much reoccurring threat down threat.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

He made up with the bears not too long ago.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
That and the point of the threatdown was to parody fear mongering.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
That was such a moving last episode. I'll miss Colbert. Hope his new show will do well; I'd hate for him to go the way of Conan.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jack Skeleton posted:

I did sort of expect some sort Bear reference.

Halfway through the Last Word we saw "Exit, pursued by a bear", which is a reference to an infamous stage direction given in The Winter's Tale.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Was that was the same song that ends Dr. Strangelove when all the bombs go off?

Its always sad to delete the Series record entry for a show on the DVR. This one has been up 7.5 years (I switched providers back then).

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Jack Skeleton posted:

I don't doubt that they probably reached out to him to come on but he probably turned them down, even though he's been on TDS plenty. Who knows.

Once I saw Olbermann there, I stopped looking for Bill O. No way in holy hell are they going to share a room, even with fifty people between them.

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Was that was the same song that ends Dr. Strangelove when all the bombs go off?

Yep.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Stare-Out posted:

He made up with the bears not too long ago.

Didn't he do the last Threatdown on the episode he made up/out with the bear?

EasyEW posted:

Once I saw Olbermann there, I stopped looking for Bill O. No way in holy hell are they going to share a room, even with fifty people between them.

Also, he's a bag of dicks and his soul is a black hole of joy, so he wouldn't have fit in there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

raditts posted:

Didn't he do the last Threatdown on the episode he made up/out with the bear?

Yes and they had a one night stand. The bear promised to call!

I was also half expecting the guy with Santa to be Letterman.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 19, 2014

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

For some reason, the whole celebrity montage, I kept thinking EMILY BAZELON BETTER BE THERE. And she was.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

What a great ending! With this and Craig ending I don't think I'll be watching much late night for a while except Jon. That sing off was the perfect way to end it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm glad Eleanor Holmes Norton made it. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i just realized the final scene in TCR's finale makes the title of the show literal, as in it was The Report that Colbert filed for TDS over nine years

• Locked thread