Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Yeah, like 6 posts up.

All the polyamory and spanking and hair pulling and sister-wives and poo poo in these books makes me think that swords weren't the only hardware being collected in the Jordan household :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

How are u posted:

Yeah, like 6 posts up.

All the polyamory and spanking and hair pulling and sister-wives and poo poo in these books makes me think that swords weren't the only hardware being collected in the Jordan household :heysexy:

Makes me wonder why he beat around the bush so much instead of just making Elayne and Aviendha a couple. They have more chemistry than most couples in the series.

Throw in Birgitte because she had some drinks and you know that Warden bond thing is so confusing anyway.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
There's a whole lot of barely hidden subtext about lesbian sex amongst the Aei Sedai, so it's basically there.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

Makes me wonder why he beat around the bush so much instead of just making Elayne and Aviendha a couple. They have more chemistry than most couples in the series.

Throw in Birgitte because she had some drinks and you know that Warden bond thing is so confusing anyway.

I do love the sisterhood ceremony where they're told to strike each other and instead of a simple backhand they smash each other across the room. It's the only time the wierd violence fits, and the only time he actually adds to all the Fremen stuff he nicked for the Aiel.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I do love the sisterhood ceremony where they're told to strike each other and instead of a simple backhand they smash each other across the room. It's the only time the wierd violence fits, and the only time he actually adds to all the Fremen stuff he nicked for the Aiel.

The best part is they then try to oneup each other on the second strike.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I am going to be so disappointed if Musram t'aime ends up being a bad guy. The poor guy does everything he can to appease Rand and Rand is just being an ungrateful bastard in return. If T'aime ever turns on him then Rand will just have earned it.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 12, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
There is no "lesbian subtext" in the Aes Sedai. It's literally stated in the books. You spend long periods of time cooped up in a place where there are extremely little men, and the men that are there are already spiritually bonded to other women, and you aren't at that rank anyway to do anything like that. It's just that the period of lesbianism is supposed to end once you've graduated to Aes Sedai proper. It's a weird way of handling it but I dunno, I guess some women in real life are like that as well.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Ok so by "lesbian subtext" I mean that Jordan did not literally write "And then Elayne ate some of that sweet snatch, much scissoring happened in the tower that eve."

Didn't mean it was particularly subtle.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gologle posted:

There is no "lesbian subtext" in the Aes Sedai. It's literally stated in the books. You spend long periods of time cooped up in a place where there are extremely little men, and the men that are there are already spiritually bonded to other women, and you aren't at that rank anyway to do anything like that. It's just that the period of lesbianism is supposed to end once you've graduated to Aes Sedai proper. It's a weird way of handling it but I dunno, I guess some women in real life are like that as well.
Yep. And some who don't stop, notably Galina and Elaida both seem to actually be lesbians.

How are u posted:

Ok so by "lesbian subtext" I mean that Jordan did not literally write "And then Elayne ate some of that sweet snatch, much scissoring happened in the tower that eve."

He also didn't literally write "and then Nynaeve sucked Lan's heron-marked dick." Does that mean there's heterosexual subtext?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Nihilarian posted:

He also didn't literally write "and then Nynaeve sucked Lan's heron-marked dick." Does that mean there's heterosexual subtext?

Yeah he didn't do that either, what of it?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

How are u posted:

Maybe if the last 3 books were handed over to Laurell K Hamilton...

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
It might qualify as "subtext" to the extent that people have been known to read the books and miss it. That probably says more about the people than about the books, but there definitely was room to make it more overt, and I think there was a deliberate attempt to downplay it a little.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

How are u posted:

Stop giving away the endings to my fanfic. :mad:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

ShadowCatboy posted:

Stop giving away the endings to my fanfic. :mad:

Siuan Sanche and Mat erotic fan fiction or get out :colbert:

"Is that a silverpike in your breeches or are you just happy to see me?"

There, I did half the work. Go!

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 14, 2014

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zephyrine posted:

Siuan Sanche and Mat erotic fan fiction or get out :colbert:

"Is that a silverpike in your breeches or are you just happy to see me?"

There, I did half the work. Go!

To be true Wheel of Time your fan fiction characters would have to speak about 3 lines to each other not speak for about 5000 pages then be madly in love on their next interaction.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

socialsecurity posted:

To be true Wheel of Time your fan fiction characters would have to speak about 3 lines to each other not speak for about 5000 pages then be madly in love on their next interaction.

You'd also need plenty of sniffing, snorting, braid-tugging, dress-smoothing and in-character myopia.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Scintilla posted:

sniffing, snorting, braid-tugging, dress-smoothing

This thing is writing itself

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Hah oh wow the head of the Green Ajah actually has the title of "Captain-General" and their emblem is a sword.

Seems like he's taking this whole "Battle Ajah" thing a bit far just to draw attention away from the fact that it's one prominent feature is multiple wardens and polygamy.

I suppose "Swingers Ajah" wouldn't carry as much weight.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zephyrine posted:

Hah oh wow the head of the Green Ajah actually has the title of "Captain-General" and their emblem is a sword.

Seems like he's taking this whole "Battle Ajah" thing a bit far just to draw attention away from the fact that it's one prominent feature is multiple wardens and polygamy.

I suppose "Swingers Ajah" wouldn't carry as much weight.
as I recall, the Greens were very prominent in the trolloc wars, directly facing enemy channelers in battle. The reason they have a tendency to gain multiple wardens is that, as the "battle-ready" ajah, they intend to be in the thick of combat and need people to watch their backs. I'm not sure why some choose to marry one of (or, as rumored, multiple of) their wardens, beyond simply being in such dangerous situations and trusting each other so implicitly that it sometimes leads to falling in love.

Either way, neither having a warden (or multiple) nor being in a relationship (polygamous or not) are a requirement of being Green Ajah. It's more of a perk of the job.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Unfortunately we never really see the Green Ajah do anything aside from have multiple Warders. Presumably everyone thinks that this is an excuse for having lots and lots of hot Aes Sedai - Warder action, much like everyone seems to think the Red Ajah is all about hot hot lesbian action.

I got a friend the first three books for her birthday and she's about halfway through Eye of the World. She's pretty annoyed with all this lame Elyas bullshit, and I'm inclined to agree. I thought Elyas was terrible, but he goes away eventually. It gets better. It does.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah the green's problem is they needed them at act pathetic and useless in battle so Egwayne could look better then everyone else during the battle for the tower.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

as I recall, the Greens were very prominent in the trolloc wars, directly facing enemy channelers in battle. The reason they have a tendency to gain multiple wardens is that, as the "battle-ready" ajah, they intend to be in the thick of combat and need people to watch their backs. I'm not sure why some choose to marry one of (or, as rumored, multiple of) their wardens, beyond simply being in such dangerous situations and trusting each other so implicitly that it sometimes leads to falling in love.

Either way, neither having a warden (or multiple) nor being in a relationship (polygamous or not) are a requirement of being Green Ajah. It's more of a perk of the job.

But all this "Battle Ajah" is just dialogue. Recollections of past events.

The browns really live their "theme" and so do the yellow, red and even blue to some extent but the Greens just have multiple warders with hints of polygamy but the narrator assures us that they are totally the battle ajah.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 19, 2014

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
The Greens are historically the Battle Ajah, back in times when there was more occasion for Aes Sedai to fight, so the "Captain-General" thing makes a little sense. More so, I think they take it seriously, sort of like how obese men in Taekwondo classes have been known to call themselves "warriors". The Greens get to flatter themselves, the other Ajahs get a good excuse to put someone else on the front lines in the unlikely event that the poo poo ever goes down: everyone wins!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zephyrine posted:

But all this "Battle Ajah" is just dialogue. Recollections of past events.

The browns really live their "theme" and so do the yellow, red and even blue to some extent but the Greens just have multiple warders with hints of polygamy but the narrator assures us that they are totally the battle ajah.
All I can say is keep reading. What book are you on?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well to be fair the Greens have the most experience with battle weaves and really are a terror on the battlefield, it's just that we rarely get the occasion to see it early in the series.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

All I can say is keep reading. What book are you on?

10 and I'm sure they end up earning the name later on but so far "Battle Ajah" just looks like an attempt to take attention away from the things they are really known for.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

McNerd posted:

The Greens are historically the Battle Ajah, back in times when there was more occasion for Aes Sedai to fight, so the "Captain-General" thing makes a little sense. More so, I think they take it seriously, sort of like how obese men in Taekwondo classes have been known to call themselves "warriors". The Greens get to flatter themselves, the other Ajahs get a good excuse to put someone else on the front lines in the unlikely event that the poo poo ever goes down: everyone wins!

Basically this. The last time the Green Ajah actually did something important was in the Trolloc Wars and those were thousands of years ago. Very few have actual combat experience.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

10 and I'm sure they end up earning the name later on but so far "Battle Ajah" just looks like an attempt to take attention away from the things they are really known for.

we don't see many Greens because they're all in the Borderlands. They're the Battle Ajah but they're not able (well, if they're not Black, and even the Blacks have to keep their cover) to magic regular humans. Borderlanders loooooooooooove Greens because they (and their multiple Wardens) show up and fight evil with them, unlike the other magical people.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I don't believe I've seen any Greys engaged in negotiations. There's all manner of call for it but it never seems to happen.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

the JJ posted:

we don't see many Greens because they're all in the Borderlands. They're the Battle Ajah but they're not able (well, if they're not Black, and even the Blacks have to keep their cover) to magic regular humans. Borderlanders loooooooooooove Greens because they (and their multiple Wardens) show up and fight evil with them, unlike the other magical people.

Yet the greens were (conspicuously?) absent from the battle of Tarwin's gap. From how lord what's-his-face was begging Morraine to come lighting bolt some trollocs it sounded like a rather pivotal battle.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
It really is a similar situation with the Greys, where they get touted as the best negotiators/diplomats ever, but never really do anything even though they do get included pretty regularly. And the only time I remember them doing anything is with the Sea folk, where they manage to completely gently caress it up without Rand's cheating.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
I think the Greys suffer from a mission statement that isn't terribly relevant to the present day. Nobody says "We have a dispute, we need a trustworthy neutral mediator, let's call a witch!" Even Aes Sedai-friendly rulers know better than that, usually. If Aes Sedai get involved in a dispute it's because they wanted to be involved, and that's more the Blue's territory in general. Occasionally they might send a Grey when they want to appear conciliatory (not that most people know the difference between Ajahs) but who are they really fooling?

Put another way: the Grey philosophy would have the Aes Sedai exerting their power a lot less. They lost that ideological battle badly, and so they don't have much role to play anymore.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Arrath posted:

Yet the greens were (conspicuously?) absent from the battle of Tarwin's gap. From how lord what's-his-face was begging Morraine to come lighting bolt some trollocs it sounded like a rather pivotal battle.

Which one?

But yeah, all the Ajahs (dave Black?) are kinda in the shitter. The blues have two competent member, the browns have forgotten basically everything, the yellows know one rough and ready battlefield patch up, the grey are supposed to prevent wars so, hah, doing a real good job there guys. The whites... ? The reds do okay but they're rarely called upon and tend to get shellacked when they run into an actual channeler. The Greens get lots of respect in the Borderlands but the Borderlands have been in trouble for a good long while, fall of Lanland and all that.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

the JJ posted:

Which one?

But yeah, all the Ajahs (dave Black?) are kinda in the shitter. The blues have two competent member, the browns have forgotten basically everything, the yellows know one rough and ready battlefield patch up, the grey are supposed to prevent wars so, hah, doing a real good job there guys. The whites... ? The reds do okay but they're rarely called upon and tend to get shellacked when they run into an actual channeler. The Greens get lots of respect in the Borderlands but the Borderlands have been in trouble for a good long while, fall of Lanland and all that.

Browns are still great to consult with if there's arcane knowledge that needs addressing. Weaves can still improve with practice, so yellows are able to do things that many other Aes Sedai can't (one yellow is actually able to modulate the level of healing she can perform, so she can partially heal a person to keep them alive, yet not so strongly that the act of healing itself kills them). Whites actually make excellent detectives. We see a lot of them with lovely reasoning, but in other cases (like with Seaine) they're able to accurately figure out stuff and hunt down criminals.

I do have to admit though that it's very strange for the Greens to not keep a rotation of sisters in the Borderlands.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

ShadowCatboy posted:

I do have to admit though that it's very strange for the Greens to not keep a rotation of sisters in the Borderlands.

They do though. I can swear that all the Borderlanders are like 'woo Greens' because they've seen them show up for this or that raiding season. Like that's half the reason the Borderlanders are way more okay with Aes Sedai of any Ajah, because Sisters and Wardens (presumably mostly Green) do show up and toss around fireballs at least every once in a while. So they're like the rest of the Ajahs, kinda muddling along but occasionally doing what they can.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

I can only guess it's internal politics. There's very little point sending sisters who are weak with the Power; they'd just make the White Tower look pathetic, and maybe die. But the strongest sisters are automatically the most politically powerful, so by sending them off to distant lands on horseback you're really shooting yourself in the foot. If Tar Valon cared even the slightest bit about anything other than Power strength, then newly minted Greens would still be near the bottom of the totem pole; you might as well send them off to the Borderlands for the first decade or two, then they'd come back as legendary war heroes and rule the roost. But the Tower is so ridiculously dysfunctional that there's not much to be gained.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

the JJ posted:

Which one?

The first, EoTW. I'd imagine you can explain away the lack of Aes Sedai as the pattern warping things to allow Rand to teleport in and wreck some poo poo without witnesses who might realize what is going on.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Arrath posted:

The first, EoTW. I'd imagine you can explain away the lack of Aes Sedai as the pattern warping things to allow Rand to teleport in and wreck some poo poo without witnesses who might realize what is going on.

Ah, I just figured they didn't have anyone on hand at that particular moment.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Arrath posted:

That's sort of the beauty of ta'averen. There are no plot holes, just really big coincidences due to the pattern twisting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

nucleicmaxid posted:

That's sort of the beauty of ta'averen. There are no plot holes, just really big coincidences due to the pattern twisting.

No, it's still a bloody plot hole. Coming up with a reason for contrived situations doesn't make them less contrived.

• Locked thread