Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

papasyhotcakes posted:

Isn't that Araki from JoJo Bizarre Adventure?
Oh yea Araki was the dogkiller, Ito was the catlover (?)

Jackard fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wolfsmund recently stopped being the "Villain magistrate outmanuevers the likable characters and has them killed horribly" and now is about the battle of Morgarten;

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Do you have to read any of the former to get to the latter, because the former is irredeemable horseshit

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Do not read Wolfsmund.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jackard posted:

Do you have to read any of the former to get to the latter, because the former is irredeemable horseshit

He gets brutally impaled from his rear end to mouth with a stake so it's like suffering before extreme satisfaction.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Wolfsmund recently stopped being the "Villain magistrate outmanuevers the likable characters and has them killed horribly" and now is about the battle of Morgarten;

I like the art in Wolfsmund and I'm sad it's so unsatisfying to read.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
New Ad Astra Scipio to Hannibal

In which Hannibal wrecks everybody and will most likely lure them to his side. Also elephants!

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
New Gunka no Balzer.

The death of "Glory on the Battlefield," though there never was such thing to begin with.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

jwang posted:

New Gunka no Balzer.

The death of "Glory on the Battlefield," though there never was such thing to begin with.

Oh gently caress, here I am reading 26 and forgetting that I haven't read 25 yet :hurr:

This is distinctly different than Sparklecats in just about every way.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wait, I thought barbed wire+machine guns were deployed only during early 20th century? Still, a chilling preview of WW1 tactics I guess.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 26, 2014

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Wait, I thought barbed wire+machine guns were deployed only during early 20th century?

It's a Montigny-style Mitrailleuse, not a true machine gun but rather a bundle of barrels with separate chambers. Saw some use in the 1870's.

Barbed wire was around then as well, but only just had been developed and was still being perfected.

As far as combined, yeah. Mostly WW1, with some use in the Spanish-American and Russo-Japanese Wars.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Barbed wire was first used extensively in the Spanish American War in combat, and the Boer war for use in concentration camps IIRC

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

New Ad Astra Scipio to Hannibal

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
What I want to see from Gunka now is the combination of mounted mobility and firepower of guns to form a dragoon unit. In fact, the instructor's realization that horseback mobility is nothing to sneer at might evolve his doctrine to form it.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Here's Otoyome 43

This arc seemed to drag on a little, couple of chapters where barely anything happened, looking forwards to whatever comes next! I'm pretty interested to see if the villagers let Azel and his brothers off the hook or if they're still in the clink or what, so I'm hoping we jump back to them.

And since I think this was the first time it's confirmed so far: For the culture buffs who guessed we were in Persia, it was stated in the little sidebar blurb that yes, Anis lives near the Persian gulf.

edit: can't help seeing this the way these two panels were arranged :v:

code:
ROUND ONE
FIGHT

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Wait, I thought barbed wire+machine guns were deployed only during early 20th century? Still, a chilling preview of WW1 tactics I guess.

If you want to get really depressed, go read up on the campaigns in Northern Virginia 1864-1865 and the fact that the European observers wrote literal trench warfare and total war off as "silly colonials don't know how to wage proper war like us European gentlemen."

Breech loading rifles and Gatling Guns hadn't even been widely adopted yet! (Certainly not on the Rebel side.)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

And since I think this was the first time it's confirmed so far: For the culture buffs who guessed we were in Persia, it was stated in the little sidebar blurb that yes, Anis lives near the Persian gulf.

The freaking persian cat is quite the giveaway, to be honest. (Although it is a pretty modern persian, not the kind you would expect see in those times, well I guess they are rich and stuff).

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

This arc seemed to drag on a little, couple of chapters where barely anything happened, looking forwards to whatever comes next! I'm pretty interested to see if the villagers let Azel and his brothers off the hook or if they're still in the clink or what, so I'm hoping we jump back to them.

Every bit of slow-paced storytelling was worth it if only for the pages with that loving catte.

SgtMongoose posted:

If you want to get really depressed, go read up on the campaigns in Northern Virginia 1864-1865 and the fact that the European observers wrote literal trench warfare and total war off as "silly colonials don't know how to wage proper war like us European gentlemen."

Yes, the American Civil War was basically a dress rehearsal for World War I, unfortunately no one paid attention and they forgot all their lines.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

SgtMongoose posted:

Breech loading rifles and Gatling Guns hadn't even been widely adopted yet! (Certainly not on the Rebel side.)

And even though barbed wire wasn't deployed in the ACW, several times telegraph wire was strung out at knee or waist height as an obstacle to very deadly effect.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Man when is Historie going to be updated drat it! :argh:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

trucutru posted:

The freaking persian cat is quite the giveaway, to be honest. (Although it is a pretty modern persian, not the kind you would expect see in those times, well I guess they are rich and stuff).
Good point about the historically inaccurate cat. Persians didn't have that Wilford Brimley look until modern times.

This is a Persian circa.1900.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I feel you man. All this cavalry talk in Gunka made me look up the history of cavalry, which lead to how King Phillips dominated the Greek territories through the use of better cavalry than anyone else, as well as Alexander himself utilizing combined cavalry forces to great effect. This leads to me thinking about their manga, which leads to me wishing that Historie gets updated.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
On that note I'm jonesing for some Vinland Saga like a motherfucker. Does anyone have any idea what's up with the lack of updates for the last couple of months?

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

achillesforever6 posted:

Man when is Historie going to be updated drat it! :argh:

its update history is super spoty. check out Ad Astra link just earlier in the thread. it's new so there is not much to read but what is there is good, and it has been consistently updated every month.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

Yes, the American Civil War was basically a dress rehearsal for World War I, unfortunately no one paid attention and they forgot all their lines.

Hahaha oh America. Eradicating life in previously unheard of numbers 50 years before the full mechanization of the War meat grinder, and between our goddamn selves too. Trend settaz~

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

On that note I'm jonesing for some Vinland Saga like a motherfucker. Does anyone have any idea what's up with the lack of updates for the last couple of months?

Dunno man, hopefully the translator hasn't dropped it. :ohdear:

Here's the two latest raw chapters if you are interested. 110, 111

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Nipponophile posted:

Its that and the Crimean War

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Its that and the Crimean War

Franco Prussian
Boer Wars
Russo-Japanese War
Spanish-American War

The people/nobility in Europe and Russia deciding on how to conduct industrialized military warfare absolutely refused to study any of the "modern" wars from the early 1800s onwards because it was conducted by a bunch of jumped up honor-less dogs with no knowledge of good breeding, or inscrutable orientals.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The latest story from Otoyomegatari is OK.

I think the highlight was the fluffy cat and architecture of the bathhouses. I kinda felt like that was a nonproblem as it was swiftly resolved in 1 chapter because by then I'm looking to see where Mr. Smith is traveling to next. I'm not for high drama for the sake of drama but that story arc was uninteresting. YMMV.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
4 new chapters of Not Turkey vs Not Gallic Empire. The Amputee Bros are pretty awesome.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

New Cesare!

Kiss the ring.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Let's take a break from war and play some sports. And for those of you who don't like sport, there's war.

Gunka no Balzer episodes 26.5 and 27

you can do it, Bumbles.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 16, 2015

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
4 new chapters of Vinland Saga!

I hope everyone learns something about breasts :stonk:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

.Clash posted:

:aaaaa: That's hands-down the most feminist thing I've ever read in a manga. Yukimura, congratulations. :golfclap:

EDIT: ahaha, Sigurd is basically Zuko from Avatar: The Last Airbender now. "I have to capture the Avatar my wife in order to regain my lost honor!!"

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 25, 2015

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

.Clash posted:

Ah this is the best

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Thorfinn's face when Leif goes "I'm a dad what are babies rah rah rah" is also great

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 25, 2015

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Man, Yukimura twice now has made me tear up through the use of dying pregnant/ nursing women, which I feel is kind of playing unfair. I think I would have liked reading these more spread out, the shifts in tone are really noticeable back to back.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I love how this suddenly became a comedy as soon as they were picked up the baby and doggy.:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gyges posted:

I love how this suddenly became a comedy as soon as they were picked up the baby and doggy.:3:

It's been a comedy since Thorfinn returned home. It's always hilarious when a gruff dour looking guy like Hafland gets told off my his spirited wife and just sits there stunned.