Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
So after a lot of saying "gently caress this" and "gently caress that" I think I'm figuring out the game and it's good. I'm having a lot of fun just doing courier missions and exploring different stations and using all my considerable Frontier experience (in being a newtonian rear end in a top hat) to land like a loving insane maniac everywhere. Really get this game if you haven't. It also plays really well on a low-mid-range PC so I won't have to update.

Two questions though
1) Is there any way to turn on the lights in the cabin? I'd like to see more of my cockpit, it's a bit dark
2) I joined the goon group, is there a space trucker radio voicechat I can join? Those hundred-thousand-lightseconds FSD jumps are boring as gently caress without nothing to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Arcade posted:

Check the thread in private game servers.

I keep forgetting about that :D

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Can't remember what it is by default, but if the UI brightness (under functions) is maxed, the glow brightens up the cockpit a little bit. No interior lights though.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
For the colors on the UI, it was something like this.

<MatrixRed> 1, 0, 1 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0, 1, 0 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0, 0, 1 </MatrixBlue>

The trick is that this uses 3 colors and mixes them for certain things.

To help you guys pick a team to work for, empire has ships in the game, I think the other two do not.

Space is designed like a cylinder where the empire is on the bottom and it is 95% or more empire. Very few independent areas. Above that sits the federation and that is a good mix of independent or federation places. Above that is alliance and they are sparse as balls.

The border areas are the best for general game play since you can mix faction stuff. The empire does not have a lot of good technology lore wise and sure enough, high tech stations are rare as hell. The federation can have a tech/tech station where the empire is lucky to get anything/tech.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 19, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The federation has the Federal Dropship. :v:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Keep in mind that working for one of the big factions does not mean you cannot also work for or be friendly with the others as well.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Looks like hauling missions got buffed: :420:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pochoclo posted:

I joined the goon group, is there a space trucker radio voicechat I can join? Those hundred-thousand-lightseconds FSD jumps are boring as gently caress without nothing to do

There's a good voice comm vid here, I've linked it at the part where you can hear the cool retro effect they put on voice comms, they sound a bit like the lunar landing voices with the beeps and the crackles :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk4R8DSQiEo&t=136s

If you watch it from the beginning though he talks you through how to use it, I'd like to see it expanded on in the future

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

All I do is haul slaves around and make sure that wangai is the best drat penal colony ever.

Not much money, but the empire has a lot of "Go get me 2 imperial slave" quests where the station you are in sells those slaves. 10-20K profit, which is good for starting players.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

After serf comes Imperial Master. Much cooler sounding.
Also, it looks like some rank missions are courier missions.

I did check out the capital ship in LTT9810. I had hoped that it would give me some missions related to the slave buying plot, but it said nothing.

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008
So when I upgraded to my Adder I didn't have any funds leftover to make money with. After many different short hauling missions and randomly buying high supply items and just selling them when I could make anything, I managed to upgrade it to a pretty serviceable space truck. Then I got bored of space trucking.

So, with a small pile of cash amounting to just over 100 thousand, I re-bought an eagle and am outfitting it with 3 fixed minicannons and pure combat, to the point that I got rid of the cargo hold as well. Holy cow, destroying everything in a teeny tiny fighter is so much fun. I was using burst lasers but then I realized after dying a few times, I was always staying too long and losing my bounties from something stupid like getting rammed by a cobra at 2% hull integrity. Now I just leave to turn in bounties when I'm down to under 300 rounds.

I love how this game just lets you do whatever you want. I'm going currently saving to get a Cobra that I'm going to use exclusively to trade while I outfit the Adder as a deep space exploration vessel. I will probably go get lost with the Adder for a couple of days just to see what there is to see. For all of the unfinished features this game has, I've hardly noticed with how much fun I'm having.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So this game does model G-forces by the way, cause boosting and pitching down in an Eagle can start you redding out, apparently the Viper does it even more:

Dunno what would've happened after this, the boost ran out and the redout faded. The ships can only sustain that kind of turn under boost power.

tonberrytoby posted:

Looks like hauling missions got buffed: :420:

Are you in the good graces of that faction? I suspect groups offer better paying missions the more they like you.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

peter gabriel posted:

:sissies:

How do I find you? Some dude called Peter Griffin or someone is on my friends-list somehow but so far having the random fat dude off Family Guy has been my full extent of the MMO part of this game :lol:

Join the reticulated splines mumble. If you use mumble that is, it should be in the OP.

Also sent you a pm with my name.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

quote:

Hello Commanders!

Just a heads up.

In order to stop the AI from overtrading, we're having to reorganise the order in which market data is processed for the simulation. This is a non-trivial fix, plus, we want make sure we are actually nailing the issue, so the fix roll out is likely to be next week, assuming we've got to the root of the problem.

Hope this info helps.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Classy note from Chris Roberts in the latest Elite newsletter:

quote:

Greetings Citizens

I would like to congratulate David Braben and the entire team at Frontier Developments on this week’s launch of Elite: Dangerous. I have been a supporter of the Elite reboot since day one, and am thrilled to see it become a reality. I’m looking forward to taking a little bit of time off of Star Citizen during the holidays and firing up the finished version of E:D.

I know that many Star Citizen backers imagine there to be an intense competition between our game and Elite, but nothing could be further from the truth. David and I promoted each other’s projects during our respective crowd funding periods because we both believe that the world is better off with more PC games and even better off with more space games. In the nineties there was plenty of room for multiple Space Sims and there is no reason that still can’t be the case now! I’ve always maintained that we aren’t a success if we just make a game; part of the reason that I came back from film was to build a game in a genre I loved and hopefully remind people how amazing it is to lose yourself in another universe, adventuring amongst the stars. So rather than be worried about Elite or No Man’s Sky, I welcome them. It’s been a long time coming but Space Sims are finally getting the love they deserve. And what’s been more amazing is that it’s been a grass roots movement. It hasn’t been driven by a big publisher seeking to pad their profits but by gamers and developers that love the genre and wanted to return to the kind of games that captured their imagination when they were younger.

Star Citizen is taking a different path from Elite, and I strongly believe each game will have a distinct feel… and both can exist and flourish… but I’d like to think that both projects have benefited from each other’s public development! I would encourage anyone who loves space sims to take a look at Elite: Dangerous. The team at Frontier has done incredible work, and there’s a fascinating universe for pilots to explore. I have fond memories of playing the original Elite on my BBC Micro many years ago… and I’m very pleased that a new generation of gamers will get to have exactly that experience today.

— Chris Roberts

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
Submitted to an interdiction while out hunting pirates, turned out to be a hostile Python! Feeling brave so I took him on anyway (hell, needed to test out my upgraded Asp shields sometime). Halfway through the fight an Imperial Eagle warps in and rather than help out, starts scanning me for illegal cargo, resulting in a 6K fine. He then chills out and watches the battle.

Well gently caress you buddy, I killed the Python without your help and the 58k bounty is all mine. Screw you and your fine.

Fuckin' space cops man.

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008
Is there any profitable way to just kill space cops? Or are they just going to be a thorn in people's side that we have to deal with if we delve into illegal activity. I wish the space triad would offer bounties on space cops or something.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Luccion posted:

Is there any profitable way to just kill space cops? Or are they just going to be a thorn in people's side that we have to deal with if we delve into illegal activity. I wish the space triad would offer bounties on space cops or something.

I got a mission to kill pirates and when I found the first pirate he said "Dude if you kill space cops I'll pay you twice as much as they'll pay you to kill me." :getin:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Killing Space Cops is a quick way to make that faction hate you though. From what I've noticed killing ships no longer causes a rep hit with that faction group, but just shooting (accidentally) space cops still causes a rep hit.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I've seen Cobra's and Python's giving federation Vipers/Eagles a run for their money in RES spots before.

I'm sure we can take them out.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Meanwhile, in Kappa Fornacis!

I went there just after that was enforced and saw a few federal capital ships. The system basically gained 3 checkpoints, 1 high intensity conflict area and 4 capital ships combat areas. And the local narcogov is getting totally crushed. I bet once the new federal/corp gov is in place they will just start producing an onionhead energy drink like nothing happened.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

InterFaced posted:

I got a mission to kill pirates and when I found the first pirate he said "Dude if you kill space cops I'll pay you twice as much as they'll pay you to kill me." :getin:
I hate those encounters because they reset the kill count. I guess I should see if that's been reported as a bug.

Also if you're hauling illegal stuff turning off "report crimes" might help.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Opinion time!

Chaff vomiter or point defense turret for an extra utility slot? I haven't used either so far.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fewd posted:

Opinion time!

Chaff vomiter or point defense turret for an extra utility slot? I haven't used either so far.

Chaff vomiter has more potential to help than the point defense. How often are you getting missiles shot at you?

Chaff takes out gimbaled weapons for a few seconds.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fewd posted:

Opinion time!

I have both. Become like me, untouchable.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am going to go gently caress the emperor

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

So is there some server related performance issues in popular systems? there have been a few times now where my framerate has nosedived in systems until I move on to the next system, this happens in systems where I normally have locked 60 fps

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are you in the good graces of that faction? I suspect groups offer better paying missions the more they like you.
It is pretty much the only fraction in that system that is neutral with me.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Really enjoying the passive storytelling going on in the game. I'm mostly hanging around a couple of star systems, trying to find pirates in the Freeagle, and came across an unknown sensor contact. Dropped out of supercruise and found a couple of ships that were opposing factions but still aligned with the Federation. All of the ships were wanted, by the other faction. Blowing up one side got me some bounties to turn in, but after doing so I found that the station I was trying to land at was aligned with the guys I just blew up. It looks like there's a civil war going on in the system that I blundered into, which is pretty fun!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Really enjoying the passive storytelling going on in the game.
You may enjoy the old Elite 3: First Encounters in-game newspapers then. It's a good read if you want to get the universe but it may spoil you some upcoming major events, i guess.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Knifegrab posted:

Just so you know, most people recommend the x52 pro over the x55.

I considered it. The only real pro I saw for the x52 was that you could lock the stick to disable the twist rudder/yaw. But I have no interest in that since I will never buy pedals or play an actual flight same, just space.

Also, I really like the physical toggle switches and knobs on the X55 and kind of hate that LCD screen on the x52 Pro.

EDIT: Most of the outside sources I consulted actually recommend the X55 over the X52 Pro for a number of reasons, including the additional throttle, additional axes of movement, extra switches, etc. So I'm not sure who you're referring to.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 19, 2014

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
^^^ Just bear in mind the main complaints is that the x55 is of poo poo build quality where the x52 pro is solid. But I'm sure it'll do the job either way really.

Toplowtech posted:

I went there just after that was enforced and saw a few federal capital ships. The system basically gained 3 checkpoints, 1 high intensity conflict area and 4 capital ships combat areas. And the local narcogov is getting totally crushed. I bet once the new federal/corp gov is in place they will just start producing an onionhead energy drink like nothing happened.

What are checkpoints?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Frontier: Elite 2 is my big blind spot in this series. I've played the original (or remakes, rather) and First Encounters.

I'm not even sure how FE2 and FFE were different from each-other, since whenever I saw screens of the former it basically looked like the latter with goraud shading instead of textures.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks
Reminder:

gently caress THE SPACE POLICE

Go to (right hand) system panel, last tab, scroll down, find "Report crimes against me" and turn it off. Unless you're 100% hauling I guess.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Toplowtech posted:

You may enjoy the old Elite 3: First Encounters in-game newspapers then. It's a good read if you want to get the universe but it may spoil you some upcoming major events, i guess.

I think this is all "in the past" stuff, since Elite 3 was set before Elite Dangerous, and from skimming a few articles, Emperor Hengist Duval sounds like a healthy and hale Emperor in the ones that mentioned him.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Gonkish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-dHqX5cFB0

Another Isinona video, and it's really interesting to watch.

Watching this again and I had no idea that the ship's icon changed depending on if hardpoints were deployed or not. Hah..

Learn something new every day.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think this is all "in the past" stuff, since Elite 3 was set before Elite Dangerous, and from skimming a few articles, Emperor Hengist Duval sounds like a healthy and hale Emperor in the ones that mentioned him.
So i guess the official story is that Jameson sold out, joined INRA and betrayed Argent and the Thargoids.

quote:

What are checkpoints?
Extra navcoms next to each planet. I didn't check them because it sounded less fun than Battleships, Combat zone and just trading illegal drugs.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
If I'm in a combat zone does that just mean I can attack whoever I want without getting a fine/bounty on me? Obviously I'm assuming once I attack someone all of their allies will be hostile...

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Turns out disabling orbit lines turns off the "don't go inside of this circle" graphic on stars which is invaluable for fuel scooping.

Guess I'll be keeping that on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kenshin posted:

If I'm in a combat zone does that just mean I can attack whoever I want without getting a fine/bounty on me? Obviously I'm assuming once I attack someone all of their allies will be hostile...
You need to select a side in your ship menu or you are considered neutral until you either start shooting someone or select a side.

• Locked thread