Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

phonezilla posted:

There is copy of it online, though only as of quite recently and that courtesy of the director of toy story 3, who claimed to have been hunting the thing down for years , so the footage is out there but nevertheless i think it'd be safe to say it's rare as rocking horse poo poo in terms of the number of actual prints of the footage out there. you wouldn't believe the pittance i paid either :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esaGu1w1K1g

the online clip is standard def, i must admit i'd love to see a full HD high quality digital transfer of my own print, but i'd think the price is quite prohibitive even at a length of 35 seconds and I haven't actually found anyone in my city who offers the service with 35mm film anyway. i feel like i SHOULD have it done though, purely for preservation's sake.

what i do really need to know is how i should store a thing like this.

Is it in a can? Keep it cool, dark & dry, obviously. You can also use that thick white fabric tape to seal the can to keep it airtight. Film labs usually have fireproof and climate controlled vaults for storage, but that's going to be prohibitively pricy for an individual.

If you are ever in the Vancouver area I'm pretty sure I can pull a favour to get it scanned at 4k as long as I can get a copy of the file too haha. The two major dailies houses in town (Technicolor & Deluxe) stopped working with film altogether a few years ago, but I work with a few boutique conform houses who still have scanners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH
I'm not going to watch or read anything else about Max Max because that looks like the ultimate see it opening night and watch in awe movie experience.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Here's the trailer for a film called Insurgent

I don't know, but I think it gives away the entire plot including probably the final scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suZcGoRLXkU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

twoot posted:

Here's the trailer for a film called Insurgent

I don't know, but I think it gives away the entire plot including probably the final scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suZcGoRLXkU

Kate Winslet is: Slummin' It

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What's the next one going to be called? Detergent?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Divergent: Insurgent: Nonurgent

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Divergent: Urgent: Urgent: Urgent: Emergency

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Diverdjent

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

morestuff posted:

Divergent: Urgent: Urgent: Urgent: Emergency

:golfclap:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The actual 3rd novel is Allegiant.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The MSJ posted:

The actual 3rd novel is Allegiant.

I wonder if they're going to split that up into multiple movies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

muscles like this? posted:

I wonder if they're going to split that up into multiple movies.

Of course they are. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3410834/

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I liked the movie version of Divergent well enough. I had read the book and watched the movie on a plane, and it was an okay way to spend a few hours. But I thought that they changed the ending enough for them not to do the other books. I guess not.

From what I can recall (the books are pretty forgettable) the second one is kinda all over the place. I had to go read a plot summary to remember everything that happens in it. I don't think this trailer shows as much as it appears. There's two parts of the story that are action revolution armed conflict oriented, and this makes it look like one.

Also it doesn't totally give away the ending as much as you'd think.

I should probably get around to reading the third book. Maybe it'll be insane like Mockingjay is for the Hunger Games series.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

*emits the loudest, longest possible sigh*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What's the next one going to be called? Detergent?

Divergent: Insurgent: Mangent premiering now on the food network

I know it doesn't rhyme but I am learning french and feel really good about it so gently caress it

phonezilla
Jan 5, 2006

I....corrected them.

Dillbag posted:

Is it in a can? Keep it cool, dark & dry, obviously. You can also use that thick white fabric tape to seal the can to keep it airtight. Film labs usually have fireproof and climate controlled vaults for storage, but that's going to be prohibitively pricy for an individual.

If you are ever in the Vancouver area I'm pretty sure I can pull a favour to get it scanned at 4k as long as I can get a copy of the file too haha. The two major dailies houses in town (Technicolor & Deluxe) stopped working with film altogether a few years ago, but I work with a few boutique conform houses who still have scanners.

Shame I'm all the way down here in Australia, haha, I'm very very tempted to take you up on your 4K offer and send the thing on another odyssey (geddit?) back to that side of the world, but I'm gonna say no right now.... I very much appreciate the offer, I might well change my mind about it....

It isn't in a can. It's just a reel of film on a core, with the original NSS band around it. At the moment it's still inside the bubble-padded envelope inside the USPS box it came in, in a safe. Coolest, dryest place in my house I can find that's not contaminated by moth-balls. I'm a bit unsure if keeping it in this packaging is a good idea (chemical reactions and the like)?

phonezilla fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 13, 2014

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

phonezilla posted:

Shame I'm all the way down here in Australia, haha, I'm very very tempted to take you up on your 4K offer and send the thing on another odyssey (geddit?) back to that side of the world, but I'm gonna say no right now.... I very much appreciate the offer, I might well change my mind about it....

It isn't in a can. It's just a reel of film on a core, with the original NSS band around it. At the moment it's still inside the bubble-padded envelope inside the USPS box it came in, in a safe. Coolest, dryest place in my house I can find that's not contaminated by moth-balls. I'm a bit unsure if keeping it in this packaging is a good idea (chemical reactions and the like)?

Ha, no problem dude. If I had any contacts with Technicolor Oz I'd send you their way.

I'm pretty sure the NSS would have used a non-reactive wrap around the roll, but no idea if bubble wrap would have any effect on the film. You might want to consider putting it in a 35mm film canister like the one below. It will definitely be non-reactive and will keep it out of the light and moisture better than a cardboard box. You might be able to find them at second hand stores or flea markets for cheap.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

You know what would make the split films more palatable? New subtitles instead of Parts. So, it could be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows followed by Harry Potter and the Battle of Hogwarts or some poo poo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PriorMarcus posted:

You know what would make the split films more palatable? New subtitles instead of Parts. So, it could be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows followed by Harry Potter and the Battle of Hogwarts or some poo poo.

Seems to have worked for the Hobbit at least.

I still wish the last one was titled "There and Back Again" though.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

computer parts posted:

Seems to have worked for the Hobbit at least.

I still wish the last one was titled "There and Back Again" though.

As much as I hate to admit it, changing the subtitle to BoTFA is going to pull more casual movie goers in than that one.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Knight of Cups (2015; D. Terrence Malick)

I've been waiting for this one for a long time.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Slate Action posted:

It's pretty insane looking- almost like a Bret Easton Ellis story. I hope it's got a bit more to chew on than To the Wonder- as much as I tried to love it, it just hasn't stuck with me the way his others have, and this looks, by virtue of its time-period, closely related to To The Wonder.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Slate Action posted:

Wow that looks loving good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

GonSmithe posted:

Wow that looks loving good.

Seriously. Have been a long time fan of Malick but, as good as Tree of Life was, I was starting to feel like he was getting a little too self-indulgent.

I mean, all the classic characteristics of his work are present in the trailer, but it feels like a serious breath of fresh air.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slate Action posted:

Good god, that cinematography :stare::fh:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guess who's back, alright!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOZm93IWvgA

I am happy I have lived long enough for these guys to be the old people music group people keep saying are better than the musicians that young people like.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjW1mKwNUSo

Hugh Jackman :stare:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Vegetable posted:

Hugh Jackman :stare:

Hugh hamming it up as ruthless pirate is about the only thing that's getting me excited for that film.

No one cares about young and sexy Captain Hook. God drat you Once Upon a Time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Slate Action posted:

Of course you have, it's a Terrence Malick movie. :v:

I'm not going to wax any more lyrical about Mad Max than has already been done, except to say: that dust storm scene in 3D.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Slate Action posted:

I don't usually watch trailers, but was tempted into watching this one. Looks really fantastic, it's clearly Malick's style, but I'm liking the more modern setting.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A Tak3n Christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZLh4CaXwzM

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

zandert33 posted:

I don't usually watch trailers, but was tempted into watching this one. Looks really fantastic, it's clearly Malick's style, but I'm liking the more modern setting.

I wonder if some of it was shot concurrently with Sean Penn's stuff from ToL.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ror posted:

Hugh hamming it up as ruthless pirate is about the only thing that's getting me excited for that film.

No one cares about young and sexy Captain Hook. God drat you Once Upon a Time.

I thought it was a nice subversion, at least for the trailer when you think Hook is some extremely flamboyant portrayal.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

second-hand smegma posted:

Malick seems like the type of guy to play the "long game", so it wouldn't surprise me.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

twoot posted:

I think directors are having longer CG shots with more complex camera movements. A long pan of a CG landscape gives your eye lots of time to pick up on the fakeness, when several years ago the CG shots would be shorter with a fixed camera and used more sparingly.
To me, there's also the issue of lighting: because everything is CG, the director can have exactly the light they want. And in these big, sweeping, impossible-flyby destruction shots, it always seems to be Magic Hour. As a result, they all look the goddamn same. Why can't the world end when it's overcast and mildly drizzling for once?

I rather miss the pre-CG days, when this stuff was A: horribly expensive on a per-frame basis, and B: really hard to do. (Cinefex was a much more interesting read, too.)

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

second-hand smegma posted:

What makes you say that, as opposed to To The Wonder?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Here's our super neutered trailer for Get Hard. It's...meh. Red Band is funnier but that got pushed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiKJqu89z0o

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

kiimo posted:

Here's our super neutered trailer for Get Hard. It's...meh. Red Band is funnier but that got pushed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiKJqu89z0o

Why does she talk like Owen Wilson

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

That sums it up. SLIGHTLY funnier (looking) than Ride Along. Almost the same premise really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It looks like it can't decide which character is the straight man. Also looks completely terrible.

• Locked thread