Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Whenever I watch Mac day I'm heartbroken when the episode ends right at the beginning of Frank day.

R.I.P. Country Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

R.I.P. Country Mac.
The most tragic moment in the show's history.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Its hilarious that they killed him off, but i kinda wish we haf gotten another episode out of him.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In that episode Charlie said they had never talked about Mac being gay, but in fact Charlie had mentioned it once before :spergin:

0/10 worst episode ever

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

steinrokkan posted:

In that episode Charlie said they had never talked about Mac being gay, but in fact Charlie had mentioned it once before :spergin:

0/10 worst episode ever

I think he meant as the collective group. Him and Dennis have said that Mac is gay, etc. I think this is the first time they all talked about it will all of them present.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Mac clearly plays for both teams, he's in love with Dennis but he's clearly also attracted to chicks, even though he hates women.

Does this make him a twink versatile?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Whenever I watch Mac day I'm heartbroken when the episode ends right at the beginning of Frank day.

It might be gimmicky, but I'd loving love if they did _____ Day for the rest of the characters. Or at the very least, Frank Day and Mac Day. Dennis Day is probably just trolling for jailbait at the mall and pampering himself, and I don't even really know what Dee Day would be.

e: haha Dennis Day and D-Day

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 19, 2014

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Mac clearly plays for both teams, he's in love with Dennis but he's clearly also attracted to chicks, even though he hates women.

It's very difficult to maintain the lifestyle of a twank versatile because this often leads to a lot of self-hatred and denial, especially among the religious or political types

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I feel like "Charlie Kelly: King of the Rats" is basically Charlie Day (the episode, not the actor).

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think he went straight from twink to twank to twunk.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I wouldn't be able to satisfy him!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Hughmoris posted:

R.I.P. Country Mac.

spoiler alert

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Maybe it's simply my massive manfatuation with him given that without him joining the gang in season 2 Sunny probably wouldn't have been the tremendous success that it is but I don't know, I just think he's knocking it out of the park.
I used to hate Danny Devito (I don't know why) so when I saw he was in Season 2, I gave up on the show entirely. I didn't even start Season 2, I was so mad. In, like, season 5, a friend finally convinced me to rewatch it and give Danny a shot and holy gently caress; he's become one of my favorite actors, and I completely agree that signing him was not just a turning point, but brought in a lot more attention and fans than the show would otherwise had made.

Ratjaculation posted:

spoiler alert
Sometimes, things just end.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Is it fair to say at this point that Frank is DeVito's defining career role? And if so, has anybody else ever had that kind of overwhelming late-career breakthrough?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Is it fair to say at this point that Frank is DeVito's defining career role? And if so, has anybody else ever had that kind of overwhelming late-career breakthrough?
Sir Ian McKellan was never really a big draw until he started going home and shooting laser beams up his boyfriend's rear end in a top hat.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

Is it fair to say at this point that Frank is DeVito's defining career role?

its still Louie de Palma, and probably always will be. he's one of the most iconic TV characters ever

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
I think audiences are going to be very uncomfortable seeing Dolph Lundgren's erect penis going into this young girl that you're talking about.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
There are probably a lot more people who'd recognize DeVito from his various big-time movie roles than there are people who watch Sunny, so it can hardly be considered a career defining role for him.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Whalley posted:

I used to hate Danny Devito (I don't know why) so when I saw he was in Season 2, I gave up on the show entirely. I didn't even start Season 2, I was so mad. In, like, season 5, a friend finally convinced me to rewatch it and give Danny a shot and holy gently caress; he's become one of my favorite actors, and I completely agree that signing him was not just a turning point, but brought in a lot more attention and fans than the show would otherwise had made.

If you don't like Throw Momma From the Train then :getout:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

He's a goddamn national treasure. I feel like such a moron for not realizing how incredible he is earlier in life; I've been firmly Pro-Danny for like five years now.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I love how obvious it is that he's having a loving blast doing it, too. Like, this dude goes from being the Penguin and probably what would've been the end of his career about this time to being on one of the most fun, critically acclaimed comedies on television where he screams and crawls around naked and hits homeless Taliban with trash cans.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Pharmaskittle posted:

I love how obvious it is that he's having a loving blast doing it, too. Like, this dude goes from being the Penguin and probably what would've been the end of his career about this time to being on one of the most fun, critically acclaimed comedies on television where he screams and crawls around naked and hits homeless Taliban with trash cans.

Well, there were some obvious perks that came with being on the show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIs5BYWt_SM

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There are probably a lot more people who'd recognize DeVito from his various big-time movie roles than there are people who watch Sunny, so it can hardly be considered a career defining role for him.

I imagine it depends on your age. I know DeVito was in films, but the only one I remember seeing him in is whatever Batman movie that was. I suspect someone who's 40 would feel very differently.

E: VVVV oh poo poo, I forgot about all that.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 20, 2014

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I remember him as Arnold's twin brother.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

PittTheElder posted:

I imagine it depends on your age. I know DeVito was in films, but the only one I remember seeing him in is whatever Batman movie that was. I suspect someone who's 40 would feel very differently.

I'm in my late 20s and I knew him from Batman Returns, Matilda, Twins, Throw Momma From the Train, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (the entire joke from the episode with his stint in the mental hospital), and I knew he directed Death to Smoochy and two of the previous films. He's definitely amassed a monster body of work long before this Sitcom nobody's heard of, and this is coming from a die hard Sunny fan.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah maybe but if you're a millenial your opinion doesn't count for a couple years yet

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Advice posted:

I'm in my late 20s and I knew him from Batman Returns, Matilda, Twins, Throw Momma From the Train, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (the entire joke from the episode with his stint in the mental hospital), and I knew he directed Death to Smoochy and two of the previous films. He's definitely amassed a monster body of work long before this Sitcom nobody's heard of, and this is coming from a die hard Sunny fan.

He was also fantastic in Man on the Moon. DeVito rocks so drat hard.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Don't forget L.A. Confidential. But I guess that was all very... Hush-hush.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
For those who missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEFPZWK4ElE

Edit: woah, there's actually a PatheticGirl43 channel with some Kaitlin and Artemis sketches which I've never seen
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLeM8bxFID8BJRA84xLpAsw

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 20, 2014

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So this is a thing now

http://www.harpercollins.com/9780062225115/its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

I think I heard Glenn talking about this on a podcast a long time ago, glad to see they finally got it published.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I hope Charlie writes the section on managing finances.

"Give me money. Money me. Money now. Me a money needing a lot now."

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
I'm already feeling more smarter

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

So, any word of the return of Green Man or is the Green Man Trilogy the end of our hero?

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think I heard Glenn talking about this on a podcast a long time ago, glad to see they finally got it published.

Did he say it was actually written by them? I was worried some FX employee did it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really enjoyed the Archer book, mainly because you can't help but read it with Sterling's voice in your head. If that rings true with this, it should be a ton of fun.

(Did the US get as many TV tie-in books like the UK used to get? Not necessarily things like A-Team annuals, but I've had a fair few coffee table books based on comedies of the 80s and 90s. Some were good, some were crap).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Karki posted:

Did he say it was actually written by them? I was worried some FX employee did it.

I want to say it was him, rob, and charlie. I can't even remember what podcast it was on :(

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

(Did the US get as many TV tie-in books like the UK used to get? Not necessarily things like A-Team annuals, but I've had a fair few coffee table books based on comedies of the 80s and 90s. Some were good, some were crap).

Not really, and when we do they're typically of the "let's run this poo poo into the ground" variety. You don't need a book explaining who Green-Man is and retelling jokes from the show because 1) the internet exists and 2) THE INTERNET EXISTS. Its very rare to get a tie-in book that's well-written and contains a lot of original, worthwhile content.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Hughmoris posted:

I hope Charlie writes the section on managing finances.

"Give me money. Money me. Money now. Me a money needing a lot now."

It's mostly in pictures and symbols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

potee posted:

It's mostly in pictures and symbols.
I can't wait to give it a once over!