Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

david carmichael posted:

to be clear: just because i think you are wrong does not necessarily mean i think anyone else is right.

I have been demonstrably right about everything in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
further clarification: i maintain that you might not be stupid, it is possible that you are instead mentally ill.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

further clarification: i maintain that you might not be stupid, it is possible that you are instead mentally ill.
oh noooo

cams
Mar 28, 2003

hahaha

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

if anyone's underestimating punk's "athletic capabilities" it's probably because he's an injury prone wreck of a man who wasn't very athletic or coordinated by pro wrestling standards. also he refuses to take drugs like a good fighter.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

minor threat was a pretty cool band being straight edge is alright

cams
Mar 28, 2003

freud mayweather posted:

if anyone's underestimating punk's "athletic capabilities" it's probably because he's an injury prone wreck of a man who wasn't very athletic or coordinated by pro wrestling standards. also he refuses to take drugs like a good fighter.
fair point, he also fractured his skull and cracked his hip and his knees would probably function better if they were legos

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

cams posted:

seriously the phenomenon of people being super defensive in this thread about a wrestleguy coming in to the ufc is really weird. like people believe that dudes on the facebook prelims are godlike warriors who's skills are trained like ninjas
Can you name a few guys on the prelims like Punk.
  • Debuted in the UFC
  • Debuted in their late 30s
  • Have no significant background in any martial art or combat sport
I'm actually hoping you'll find people because those sound like cool guys to follow.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

no no lets go back to you trying to pretend that you're smart and you want to have an "intelligent discussion" about the outcomes of a future fight between cm punk and whoever while being super defensive on behalf of this thread

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Grifter posted:

• Debuted in the UFC
I'm actually hoping you'll find people because those sound like cool guys to follow.
sounds like he's a completely unknown variable, to me! i hope the odds are way against him i want to place my first mma bet since i bet against anderson silva and then he shattered his own leg

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

cams posted:

no no lets go back to you trying to pretend that you're smart and you want to have an "intelligent discussion" about the outcomes of a future fight between cm punk and whoever while being super defensive on behalf of this thread

if at any point it was not clear that i was making fun of you then i apologize completely

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
More footage of punk training:

http://youtu.be/q7eK85rFZNo

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Stupid ugly yuriy

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

if at any point it was not clear that i was making fun of you then i apologize completely
no you really got me all those times you used "we" to refer to you and the thread

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

cams posted:

sounds like he's a completely unknown variable, to me! i hope the odds are way against him i want to place my first mma bet since i bet against anderson silva and then he shattered his own leg

It's almost a lock that any odds made will have Punk as a very heavy favorite against anybody he's going to face while he's an unknown.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I figure the longer this thread goes, the higher the PPV Buyrate will be when Punk finally fights

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
cm punk has called himself batman a couple of times so just like batman if you give him enough time to plan a fight he'll win some how

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Skip My Posts posted:

is howard stern's voice really that low or you guys think they do something to modulate it?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Skip My Posts posted:

Punk's been working on his takedowns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9vdoX3Ju0

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MagicCube posted:

Punk's been working on his takedowns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9vdoX3Ju0

Uh no sorry that guy drinks beer

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Great White Hope posted:

It's almost a lock that any odds made will have Punk as a very heavy favorite against anybody he's going to face while he's an unknown.
eh to be fair if he's a favorite i doubt it's by much.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

cams posted:

eh to be fair if he's a favorite i doubt it's by much.

I'm assuming there will be a lot more money in on Punk than on whoever he goes against by virtue of popularity, which will skew the odds accordingly.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Odds aren't based on who is gonna win it's based on how people are gonna bet. He'd be a favorite because retard idiots (cams) are gonna bet on him for some reason and Vegas knows it.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

cams posted:

so to clarify

1) you don't believe in chris weidman
2) you think bendo is not the recipient of at least one robbery
3) you think cm punk is an unknown variable at the age of 37 who is a better fighter than the facebook prelim guys who have been training for years

gotcha

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
unless cm punk is fighting a current or former ufc fighter he will almost certainly be the betting favourite

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Yuriy posted:

so to clarify

1) you don't believe in chris weidman
2) you think bendo is not the recipient of at least one robbery
3) you think cm punk is an unknown variable at the age of 37 who is a better fighter than the facebook prelim guys who have been training for years

gotcha

he also believes that comic book magic is real

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i am always happy to have yuriy on the other side of anything i believe

also you showing off your amazing reading comprehension with the first thing on that list bro

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

cams posted:

fair point, he also fractured his skull and cracked his hip and his knees would probably function better if they were legos

people keep saying his knees are absolutely destroyed so imo they should bring paul harris back for his first opponent and give him an excuse to get new artificial ones

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

david carmichael posted:

he also believes that comic book magic is real

ya but buying into willpower/fighting spiritu is like 80% of the basis of jmma which is cool

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It also turned Sakuraba into a shambling corpse.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
He won't be able to get through an actual camp without being injured.....or peer pressured. Both dangerous obstacles

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Solomonic posted:

people keep saying his knees are absolutely destroyed so imo they should bring paul harris back for his first opponent and give him an excuse to get new artificial ones
i don't think roosimarr would care, he can only achieve orgasm by breaking healthy, well constructed knees.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Grifter posted:

• Debuted in the UFC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Mitrione

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

CM Punk is older than Mitrione.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Tough loss, Joe. The willpower was there and I had a pretty good camp until Keith invited me to his house to watch some Football and share a six pack. From there out it was difficult to get any real work in.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

mitrione had a black belt in shotokan, and had done a bunch of toughman and kickboxing stuff before he started playing the foosball

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Maybe this doesn't count as 'significant background' but it's more than Punk has.

quote:

Mitrione also trained in Shotokan Karate, Kickboxing, and other combat sports as a teenager. Mitrione even competed in Toughman Contests while he was still in high school, and finished second in a tournament in his hometown of Springfield, during his sophomore year of college.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
like not to say that punk won't necessarily have the kind of success that mitrione had, but mitrione certainly had a better background before debuting against scott "trash" junk

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Also Mitrione is stronger, faster, and more athletic than punk. Also he's a heavyweight. Not sure how his willpower stacks up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i absolutely believe that punk's fight trajectory should be close to mitrione's at the start though. some kind of scott junk, james mcseeney, marcus jones trash before fighting a big name but terrible fighter

• Locked thread