Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

"Wireless should cost less since no wires are necessary."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Caught new guy number 1 sleeping at his desk and new guy number 2 is either computer illiterate or just illiterate.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jim truds posted:

Caught new guy number 1 sleeping at his desk and new guy number 2 is either computer illiterate or just illiterate.

My favorite are the tickets with the last log reading, "All devices online and now functioning as expected. Process indicates case can be closed. Escalating for advice on next steps."

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
"If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" is now required reading for some of the low level project managers, to explain why they don't give away stuff all the goddamn time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyk55GYnGl0

some of them will need supplemental material, so I have "If You Give a Cat a Cupcake" ready just in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geLSOH2qa7Q

Man Yam
Aug 31, 2004
Pickle. No! You pickle!
Spent yesterday afternoon eating delicious Indian cuisine prepared by the wives of our contractors, and drinking margaritas out of a 5 gallon cooler (also provided by contractors). The only person who had to do some real work was the guy answering phones for the Help Desk - 3 calls the whole afternoon. More drinking scheduled for today and it is the office pot luck.

I love where I work.

Adding appropriate content to this thread, even though it is just a title, some executives really do not know/understand or care about the different IT roles. Executive giving a tour to some guests:

:smuggo: - "Here is our IT area, we have 4 help desk folks in these offices, and these guys at the end are programmers"
:bang: - I'm not in the Help Desk, I'm the network/systems admin
:smuggo: "IT is one of the largest, fastest growing departments in the company"
:allears: - "Yes, that technical stuff keeps getting more complicated"
:bang: - We have not hired anyone since I was hired over 3 years ago and our department is the smallest in the company, in the past several months all other departments have added at least 10 FTEs and gained office space. IT is double/tripled up in a few offices.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
gently caress Comcast. Do I need to say more? Internet went down yesterday @ 1pm. I called 6 times between 1-2:30. Every time, after entering the zip, it would tell me my call could not be completed and to visit their website. After finally getting through, I got transferred to a nice older lady, who had no idea what was going on. Apparently they had been just sitting around waiting for calls... not realizing the phones were down (or just enjoying the break). Anyways, did the normal power cycle and I can login. Everything looks great, registration complete, channels up, IP's, ect- but I can't ping out. After reseting the modem twice, she decides to send a tech... today between 8-10am. The last time something like this happened, a tech was here in twenty minutes. We ended up letting the entire office go home. Boss decided to cancel the backup DSL, "Because we never use it", wonder what he thinks now.

*EDIT*
Tech got here. Want's to replace the modem. Told him what was happening, looked at the link lights on the modem, and mumbles something about DNS. Went to his truck saying replacing the modem was all he could do, but he had something similar happen the other day and it broke again in 5 minutes.

I know comcast has some pretty bad stories, but holy crap it's never been this bad around here, especially business class.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 19, 2014

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Project List 2015 Is Here! :woop:

- Remote site build from scratch and launch.
- New call center launch.
- ESXi upgrade
- Lync 2010 migration to 2013
- Exchange 2010 migration to 2013
- New NAS installation w/ replication
- New SQL 2012 server build w/ replication
- 2 (count 'em, 2) network rebuild/consolidations (Procurve 2900s to 8212s)
- SAN rebuild
- Corporate WiFi design and deployment
- Guest WiFi design and deployment (incl. Internet installs)
- New call center software installation and launch (again, new build)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Just for the heck of it I applied for unemployment even though I know you generally don't get it if you quit. EDD called today and said that the HR VP claimed that I didn't notify anyone I had quit. So that's "job abandonment" and your claim is automatically denied.

I'm not surprised they would lie to try and make sure I couldn't get unemployment but it's still a lousy thing to do. The benefit would've really helped.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you not have any recourse at all in that situation? That sounds extremely lovely.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Burn it. Burn it allllllll. Make them suffer for their crimes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Do you not have any recourse at all in that situation? That sounds extremely lovely.

No. Considering that I'm 48 and have never received unemployment benefits they should just let me have it. :shobon:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Just for the heck of it I applied for unemployment even though I know you generally don't get it if you quit. EDD called today and said that the HR VP claimed that I didn't notify anyone I had quit. So that's "job abandonment" and your claim is automatically denied.

I'm not surprised they would lie to try and make sure I couldn't get unemployment but it's still a lousy thing to do. The benefit would've really helped.

You can file for appeal in most states, and a lot of times companies wont show up for the appeal hearing and you will win automatically. It's worth a shot at least.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks Ants posted:

A resignation letter--sent via some sort of verifiable means--would be enough to counter the claim of no notice. But when you quit via post-it note...

Also, appeal anyway. Worst that happens is you waste their time. Best that happens is you get your unemployment benefits.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If I'd done it the usual way and handed one of my bosses a resignation letter they still could simply say "He never told us" and I've never considered resigning via certified mail.

I'm not going to get in a pissing contest with them, especially because I'll lose. I'll just focus on getting another job as quickly as possible and put this behind me.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

No. Considering that I'm 48 and have never received unemployment benefits they should just let me have it. :shobon:

You can appeal an unemployment decision. Do you have a copy of your notice.

e: beaten, ignore me.
Although you can insist on witnesses, unless you think they'd lie under oath.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Dick Trauma posted:

Lying to the unemployment office is one of those things that tends to gently caress companies in the rear end. Appeal that poo poo.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

He has no proof that he informed them. They have him over a barrel here and they know it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hey Abdul Waseem, I am not a god drat resource, and that's not a good thing to tell people when you are trying to recruit them.

With cold regards;
gently caress off.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Manslaughter posted:

He has no proof that he informed them. They have him over a barrel here and they know it.

I'm not good at letting things go but after a couple of weeks I've started feeling better about my situation. This EDD thing made me feel like I was right back where I started. getting hosed by my bosses again.

So I'm letting it go. I don't work there anymore, they didn't deserve me and I don't need anything from them. Let them gnaw at each other instead of me.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Today's poo poo that's pissing me off.

You assholes had to talk about being sick, didn't you? I spent so much loving time coughing and vomiting last night that I lost my voice and had to call in my assistant to cover the shift I was supposed to be doing alone as a reward to my department. He's cool with it, of course, because he knows I'll do the same for him if he needs it. But god dammit, I was looking forward to a quiet, empty office day today.

I could've gotten my Metal Gear on between tickets. :(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We've had a guy in the last couple of days who looks like death but because our poo poo company is so tight he'd rather come in and achieve gently caress all than burn his entire 2 sick days.

:jerkbag:

2015 is going to have to be another :yotj: effort I think.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm not good at letting things go but after a couple of weeks I've started feeling better about my situation. This EDD thing made me feel like I was right back where I started. getting hosed by my bosses again.

So I'm letting it go. I don't work there anymore, they didn't deserve me and I don't need anything from them. Let them gnaw at each other instead of me.

Appeal anyway. It's not like most employees who have quit can prove that they turned in a letter. Say you gave written notice (yes a post-it note counts as written) and if whoever you gave it to wants to lie to the government, they can go ahead and do that. Did you talk to the CEO's assistant when you couldn't drop off the note? Are they willing to lie on the stand? Also you mention an email to the CEO, give that to the unemployment office (if it was sent via a personal account) or tell unemployment that you sent it using your work account; if the company says "well, um, we wiped out everything Dick Trauma ever said" then it's going to look a bit suspicious.

At the very least contesting it is going to give them a bit of pain. What else are you doing right now that is more important?

EDIT: also you mentioned that the day after you quit, you got cashed out for all your vacation time. Companies don't do that unless you were fired, laid off, or you quit. The day after. Go get a copy of the check and give it to the unemployment office. There's your proof. Enjoy watching the VP of HR burn.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dick Trauma posted:

gently caress that. An appeal is like a single page form with an affidavit you sign. "I gave written notice to the HR director, and placed that notice in a conspicuous place. I also verbally gave notice to the executive assistant. I wish to contest this."

Bam, that's it. loving never just roll over when they gently caress you, especially after you quit. You have literally nothing to lose but an hour or two if your now copious free time. They literally lied to a state agency, either they cave on the appeal and you get benefits, or they show up with lawyers and you waste some of their time and money arguing about it. Remember, it's on them to prove you didn't give written notice, as employment laws don't require you to submit your resignation letter via registered mail. Mention the actively hostile work environment and the fact you were not surprised to see them trying to avoid having to pay for unemployment benefits.

And yes,
"gently caress you, I quit.

- Dick Trauma"
absolutely counts as a written notification.

monster on a stick posted:

EDIT: also you mentioned that the day after you quit, you got cashed out for all your vacation time. Companies don't do that unless you were fired, laid off, or you quit. The day after. Go get a copy of the check and give it to the unemployment office. There's your proof. Enjoy watching the VP of HR burn.

Oh Jesus yes this. Make a big formal stink about it and get the case heard by a magistrate or appeals arbitrator, then casually drop the bomb that HR had to have heard about it, because your PTO was cashed out literally the next day. Odd that it took them less than 12 hours to determine that you had abandoned your job without notice. Or maybe they lied to the unemployment office. You know, either way.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 19, 2014

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Exit Strategy posted:

You assholes had to talk about being sick, didn't you? I spent so much loving time coughing and vomiting last night that I lost my voice and had to call in my assistant to cover the shift I was supposed to be doing alone as a reward to my department. He's cool with it, of course, because he knows I'll do the same for him if he needs it. But god dammit, I was looking forward to a quiet, empty office day today.

The sick time here is "your first two days are PTO, sick afterwards" - I think you can provide a doctor's note and get the PTO days swapped back. It's probably to discourage "sickies"... but seeing as how I'm like 200+% over the supposed max PTO accrual, and add another day every two weeks, I don't think it'd stop me. :getin:

Of course, the last sick days I've taken were for kidney stones or broken teeth. :smith: Somehow I tend to be ridiculously healthy... allergies rather than colds/etc.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I don't remember ever being sick, even when I was working at call centers. My body just doesn't get sick. :psyduck:

Never stopped me from calling in sick multiple times when working in a call center though. :smug:

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Maybe it's a different jurisdiction thing... or maybe I misunderstand how the world works... but around here you don't get unemployment if you quit except under some exceptional circumstances, and in those cases it's up to you to show evidence. (such as a hostile workplace)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Oh jesus.

I work at a really small (<5 people) MSP in southern New Jersey that's been going through some complicated stuff lately (bought by another company, owner nearly had a heart attack and had to leave the company). We do work with a bunch of other pretty small companies in the area. Part of what we do usually involves setting up crashplan for people.

Turns out one of the crashplans was set up incorrectly by the former owner.
Turns out that client was owned by a bunch of local millionaires (insurance company).

Guess who just got cryptolockered.

e: Before you ask, it's one of the recent variants that hasn't had its keys found, not the original one.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

Quitting does not necessarily mean you do not qualify for unemployment, this varies by state. Things like constructive discharge affect most states. What the former company is doing is illegal. You need to talk to a lawyer. You can get a free consultation in any metro area.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

President Ark posted:

Oh jesus.

I work at a really small (<5 people) MSP in southern New Jersey that's been going through some complicated stuff lately (bought by another company, owner nearly had a heart attack and had to leave the company). We do work with a bunch of other pretty small companies in the area. Part of what we do usually involves setting up crashplan for people.

Turns out that client was owned by a bunch of local millionaires (insurance company).

e: Before you ask, it's one of the recent variants that hasn't had its keys found, not the original one.

Time for an involuntary :yotj:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Volmarias posted:

Time for an involuntary :yotj:

Yeah, it's rapidly looking like one way or the other this ship's sinking fast.

It just blows because I'm new in the field and haven't managed to be in a job for a year straight, so my resume looks like poo poo. I was already planning on bailing once I'd been here a year because it's been going downhill since the buyout, but now it's looking like the company will be dead before then. :(

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Exit Strategy posted:

Well, you can still get your Metal Gear on... Only instead of between tickets it'll be between shits/vomiting. :v:

I know when I'm sick or on Vacation, all I do is play the Borderlands series.

ratbert90 posted:

I don't remember ever being sick, even when I was working at call centers. My body just doesn't get sick. :psyduck:

Never stopped me from calling in sick multiple times when working in a call center though. :smug:
I don't get sick often, but when I do, it's usually something like Strep Throat/Bronchitis. I've got year-round allergies and Asthma, so I tend to get upper respiratory infections.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 19, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I kept the payroll system paperwork that was included with my my final checks and... it's date stamped with the day I quit. :getin:

I forgot to mention that although I also had paperwork for my final paycheck they failed to include the actual check. I had to email the VP of HR and ask for it. So apparently she was in such a rush to slam the door on me she forgot to cut both of the checks.

Not long after she was hired she took a long medical leave. After her return she was talking about not feeling good and having multiple doctor visits. It turns out she'd had cancer and was going through similar post-recovery emotional distress to what I'd experienced. I shared what I'd been through and how I found my way back, and even gave her a book that had helped me a lot. We discussed it one more time and then never again, but at the time I thought that it had brought us closer together.

Nope!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 19, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

President Ark posted:

Oh jesus.

Man, this isn't on you, but to everyone reading this:

Test your backups. Seriously. A backup you cannot restore is no backup at all.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I didn't know where to get the information you requested so I ignored your request.

:bang:

Joke's on you, I still need that information before you leave today, and you could have spend the last 3 hours working on it instead of next 3 hours.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah sure, customer from Hawaii. I will wave my magic wand and somehow get USPS to deliver your order overnight OH WAIT THAT SERVICE DOESN'T EXIST.

mewse
May 2, 2006

President Ark posted:

Oh jesus.

Good thing you guys have backups :ironicat:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah sure, customer from Hawaii. I will wave my magic wand and somehow get USPS to deliver your order overnight OH WAIT THAT SERVICE DOESN'T EXIST.

What's that? The customer is paying for you to courier their order? To Hawaii?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Volmarias posted:

What's that? The customer is paying for you to courier their order? To Hawaii?
Yeah, Scaramouche, it sounded like they're volunteering you for a paid trip. Winter is a nice time to visit.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yes, it's what my LLC calls our Concierge Service. I'll bring you whatever the gently caress you want for a plane ticket, a hotel room, and a surprisingly modest per diem. (Note: service not available in areas that are not UNESCO world heritage sites)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My second boss just got promoted to Director. :shepicide: