Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Fellblade posted:

It would be infinitely better if it went away when you clicked something else like the right-click menu, as it is it generally pops up in an awkward part of the screen and doesn't close when you expect it to.

The thing is: its quite a big popup, it gets in the way of the things you have to see.

For example: while searching for people to invite, it will open right above the person stats, which you probably wanna be seeing. And then it wont close unless you click on someone else, just to close it. Its annoying.

Make it a regular window, draggable and with a little close "x" on the corner, it will be a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Make it a regular window, draggable and with a little close "x" on the corner, it will be a lot better.

And also put the old button back just because

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ofaloaf posted:

"I don't want it released until it's perfect" is the one of the worst positions a modder can take. A mod will never be perfect. It's dumb.

Actually, has he done any modding, or is he just loud and outspoken and no one wants to cuss him out of that project's circle? I don't recall him actually making anything or proposing a good idea, but my opinion of him's rather biased at this point and I'm just a bit salty about that mod's developments in general.

He's a beta tester and, uhh, historical consultant. That is to say, an obsessive Romanophile. I do feel silly to be gossiping about random Paradox forumers, but I really want the drat thing to come out, if only so I can mod in a non-gimped Arab Conquest event chain.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Elias_Maluco posted:

The thing is: its quite a big popup, it gets in the way of the things you have to see.

For example: while searching for people to invite, it will open right above the person stats, which you probably wanna be seeing. And then it wont close unless you click on someone else, just to close it. Its annoying.

Just press escape to close the popup, and why are you even opening up the diplomacy menu before you've looked at her stats?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fuligin posted:

He's a beta tester and, uhh, historical consultant. That is to say, an obsessive Romanophile. I do feel silly to be gossiping about random Paradox forumers, but I really want the drat thing to come out, if only so I can mod in a non-gimped Arab Conquest event chain.

He is the dude who is insistent that the Ostrogoths were the true heirs to the Western Roman Empire, wasn't he?

He is precious.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Rumda posted:

Just press escape to close the popup, and why are you even opening up the diplomacy menu before you've looked at her stats?

I didnt know about the escape. Still, why not put a little "x" on the corner? And why not make it draggable, if you want to see something on the screen before making the decision of giving the person a title/invitation/proposal whatever? Often it is necessary.

Because still the only way to know if someone will accept you invitation is to open the diplomacy menu and click invite. So instead of right-click, open, invite, close, right click the next etc I will just right click the next on the list, and the popup will be above his stats.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Elias_Maluco posted:

I didnt know about the escape. Still, why not put a little "x" on the corner? And why not make it draggable, if you want to see something on the screen before making the decision of giving the person a title/invitation/proposal whatever? Often it is necessary.

Because still the only way to know if someone will accept you invitation is to open the diplomacy menu and click invite. So instead of right-click, open, invite, close, right click the next etc I will just right click the next on the list, and the popup will be above his stats.

Escape has ALWAYS been the close window hotkey. Its not like you could see the stats on diplomacy before so you've lost nothing and gained much.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

He is the dude who is insistent that the Ostrogoths were the true heirs to the Western Roman Empire, wasn't he?

He is precious.

The only "heirs" that can even come close is the Franks under Charlemagne for the West and the Ottomans in the East. That's only when you squint your eyes a lot and shift goal posts. Neither had the influence that Rome did.

The first time the East settled down enough to consider conquests again they loving crushed the Goths. Had the Persians not invaded while Belasarius was in Italy it's higly likely Italy would have been incorporated fully once again rather than the patchwork poo poo they got.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

YouTuber posted:

The only "heirs" that can even come close is the Franks under Charlemagne for the West and the Ottomans in the East. That's only when you squint your eyes a lot and shift goal posts. Neither had the influence that Rome did.

The first time the East settled down enough to consider conquests again they loving crushed the Goths. Had the Persians not invaded while Belasarius was in Italy it's higly likely Italy would have been incorporated fully once again rather than the patchwork poo poo they got.

Indeed. Count Belisarius by Robert Graves is an excellent historical fiction novel that focuses a lot on the Italian campaign, if anyone's interested. It tends to get overshadowed by Graves' Claudius books.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

He is precious.
No, you don't understand! A secretary for Emperor Anastasius wrote two letters addressing Theodoric a word which could be interpreted as 'emperor', therefore the ERE fully recognized the Ostrogothic realm as the resurrected WRE and Theodoric should totally be give the e_wre title.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
B-b-but what about the butterfly effect!? :qq:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Rumda posted:

Escape has ALWAYS been the close window hotkey. Its not like you could see the stats on diplomacy before so you've lost nothing and gained much.

Of course you could. The diplomacy window opened on the left, you just had to drag the find character screen to the right.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Ofaloaf posted:

No, you don't understand! A secretary for Emperor Anastasius wrote two letters addressing Theodoric a word which could be interpreted as 'emperor', therefore the ERE fully recognized the Ostrogothic realm as the resurrected WRE and Theodoric should totally be give the e_wre title.

Sounds like a dude who masturbates furiously to his copy of the Anabasis

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
You guys really need to read the Secret History of the Court of Justinian by Procopius of Caesarea.

It's got everything you guys like: cuckings, demons, murders and incest!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fuligin posted:

Hey Groogy, you guys know about the bug that makes it impossible to demobilize levies from the menu, right? It would be pretty minor except that it paralyzes the AI by making them unable to go to war.

I mentioned tha a few pages ago and he said he hadn't.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I could use a few pointers. I've turned my Irish chiefdom into a republic, but now I'm stuck with a couple of tribal vassals who don't like me much, and even if they did, they wouldn't give me more than a couple dozen troops. I have the opportunity to form the de jure kingdom of Ireland, but what'd be the point? Unless, would it make sense to start paying for my vassals' market villages to help them become grand mayors, too? I don't know what to do.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

I could use a few pointers. I've turned my Irish chiefdom into a republic, but now I'm stuck with a couple of tribal vassals who don't like me much, and even if they did, they wouldn't give me more than a couple dozen troops. I have the opportunity to form the de jure kingdom of Ireland, but what'd be the point? Unless, would it make sense to start paying for my vassals' market villages to help them become grand mayors, too? I don't know what to do.

You can wait for them to upgrade the holdings themselves, but it'll likely take awhile. Better to do it yourself and be rid of the -30 wrong government type relations penalty.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Man, playing After The End and forming the empire of Columbia with WoL has opened the game to all sorts of unintended possibilities. I've been playing the voodoo emperess of texas and I've been keeping my client-kings happy by zombifying them (via kidnap plots--the more ambitions lite mod works with ATE) and/or seducing them. Right now we're waging a huge war against the Holy Columbian Confederacy (that at this point stretches from philly to Alabama) to get a voodoo claimant on the throne.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 19, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

nutranurse posted:

Man, playing After The End and forming the empire of Columbia with WoL has opened the game to all sorts of unintended possibilities. I've been playing the voodoo emperess of texas and I've been keeping my client-kings happy by alternatively zombifying them (via kidnap plots--the more ambitions lite mod works with ATE) and/or seducing them. Right now we're waging a huge war against the Holy Columbian Confederacy (that at this point stretches from philly to Alabama) to get a voodoo claimant on the throne.
Say which mod works in conjunction with AtE? We haven't really bothered with keeping inter-mod compatibility in mind, but if something works now it'd be cool if we could keep it clear and working.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Ofaloaf posted:

Say which mod works in conjunction with AtE? We haven't really bothered with keeping inter-mod compatibility in mind, but if something works now it'd be cool if we could keep it clear and working.

Additional Objectives Lite*, Stop The Orgy Please! (My quick game as King Solomon was fun, but after getting ~30 lovers in less than a decade I figured that it needs a nerf) and personal castles are the only submods that I am running with AtE. No conflicts with them! Heck, the personal castles mod is practically a must-have mod and it doesn't conflict with anything insofar as I know.

*The 00_plots.txt 'conflicts' with AtE's 00_plots.txt, but I checked the two files and they differ because of a few spaces here and there. Effectively it's compatible.
E:Oh, and all that this mod does is add in two plots from addition objectives (kidnap and wrongfully convict of treason). Those two plots pretty much make the character-to-character interactions amazing. Each generation I usually see a lord/lady called 'the spider' or 'the whisperer' or 'the shadow' and they have ridiculous intrigue scores and single-handedly kidnap and ranson/execute half the realm. It's great.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 19, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Have recent patches changed the way betrothal works? My game is doing that thing where people sit around in matrimonial limbo forever because the option to get married never pops up, but it isn't showing up in any disabled alerts menus.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

CharlestheHammer posted:

He is precious.

He also really wants melting pots for every single culture mix possible, but also decided that one more culture in northern France or something was just too much.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

Have recent patches changed the way betrothal works? My game is doing that thing where people sit around in matrimonial limbo forever because the option to get married never pops up, but it isn't showing up in any disabled alerts menus.

In my experience that usually happens because the betrothed person is from a realm that is outside of your diplomatic range. If you use the console to move whoever is being married into your court it might work, if not, :shrug:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Odobenidae posted:

In my experience that usually happens because the betrothed person is from a realm that is outside of your diplomatic range. If you use the console to move whoever is being married into your court it might work, if not, :shrug:

it also happens if your future spouse's liege is at war with you (or in a war with one of their allies, defending against you)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

catlord posted:

He also really wants melting pots for every single culture mix possible

Don't loving remind me.

catlord posted:

but also decided that one more culture in northern France or something was just too much.

lol

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Odobenidae posted:

She was in diplo range, so i have no idea.

e. also wtf I pressed a de jure claim on the county of Rome and about thirty seconds after winning the war it gives the county back to the Pope.

e2. but I kept Ostia? :wtf:

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 20, 2014

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Fuligin posted:

Hey Groogy, you guys know about the bug that makes it impossible to demobilize levies from the menu, right? It would be pretty minor except that it paralyzes the AI by making them unable to go to war.
I was wondering why the Byzantines still had an army of 19,000 in North Africa. They can't disband it and the ruler has a -48 levy opinion from all vassals. Same thing for a bunch of other people like in France, Norway, random dukes in Crimea, etc.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wish that would happen to that drat Abbs or Umms in the CM start. That thing is borderline unplayable because the drat suckers just don't seem to fall, ever and have the bad tendency to ally all the time.

Also, I have literally never seen a single one of them hit by a liberation revolt despite them never founding the kingdoms under their control. Not that they need to with their massive vassal limits and massive realms full of tiny dukes that never seem to unite properly.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So I haven't played CK2 in a good few months and have been looking at the two new DLC's to get me back into it.

Would you guys say its worth spending the :20bux: it will cost me to grab them now, or are they a bit over priced?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gridlocked posted:

So I haven't played CK2 in a good few months and have been looking at the two new DLC's to get me back into it.

Would you guys say its worth spending the :20bux: it will cost me to grab them now, or are they a bit over priced?

I think Charlemagne might be the teensiest bit overpriced - it adds a lot, but I'm not sure how much I like it all - but on the other hand, Way of Life feels cheap for me. It only adds a few small things but those few small things are amazingly fun. So on the whole it balances out. Spend the :20bux:.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wish that would happen to that drat Abbs or Umms in the CM start. That thing is borderline unplayable because the drat suckers just don't seem to fall, ever and have the bad tendency to ally all the time.

Also, I have literally never seen a single one of them hit by a liberation revolt despite them never founding the kingdoms under their control. Not that they need to with their massive vassal limits and massive realms full of tiny dukes that never seem to unite properly.

I've noticed that the major muslim dynasties no longer sit at 0% decadence for ever and ever, and in my Burgundy game both the Abbasids and Umayyads (to a lesser degree) exploded.

If you peer past the jpeg compression you can see that the Abbasids have been reduced to a tiny emirate in Jerusalem, and the Sulayman Empire is almost completely sieged.
The Mastan you see in Africa/Tunis is actually a catholic berber's duchy, who according to the history files was peacefully granted his title. He managed to expand all the way to the dejure borders of the Kingdom of Africa, but I've played much further and his sons have been absolutely wiped off the map by 900. That is definitely one of the weirdest things I've seen in ck2.

This is completely anecdotal, sadly enough, because In my recent Abyssinia game the Abbasids, Umayyads, and the Sultan of Africa/Mauretania are all under 15% decadence and stable as all hell.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I'm really liking the increase in nickname frequency. It really adds flavor to the game.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

I've noticed that the major muslim dynasties no longer sit at 0% decadence for ever and ever, and in my Burgundy game both the Abbasids and Umayyads (to a lesser degree) exploded.

If you peer past the jpeg compression you can see that the Abbasids have been reduced to a tiny emirate in Jerusalem, and the Sulayman Empire is almost completely sieged.
The Mastan you see in Africa/Tunis is actually a catholic berber's duchy, who according to the history files was peacefully granted his title. He managed to expand all the way to the dejure borders of the Kingdom of Africa, but I've played much further and his sons have been absolutely wiped off the map by 900. That is definitely one of the weirdest things I've seen in ck2.

This is completely anecdotal, sadly enough, because In my recent Abyssinia game the Abbasids, Umayyads, and the Sultan of Africa/Mauretania are all under 15% decadence and stable as all hell.
Yea, they do sometimes eventually implode, the problem being that after that they're still all muslims, still mostly Berber and still all married and mostly Sunni, especially if there were a few failed rebellions before that. The poor Ibadi sometimes don't even survive long enough for me to steal one of their ladies to convert: it certainly isn't helped by the fact that Charlemagne never seems to want to attack Hispania in favour of civil wars or loving with the Saxons. Shia Islam is hosed as well, and it's embarrassing seeing the Rise event fire only for it to be crushed nigh instantly as soon as the Caliph raises vassal levies.

And Lombardy never does anything exciting after going elective. Dull dull dull that place is. Ironman is dang frustrating because you can't shake things up any in it, but without it I spend most of the game fiddling around, making random counts into wrong religion geniuses, making Ireland Hindu and Ceylon Messalian or some such rot.

Gridlocked posted:

Get Way of Life now, wait for Charlemagne to go on Sale. The things it offers are the Zunbil, which are a pain when muslims are so over-powered right now, the ability to form your own kingdoms and empires, which is ehh and the story event for Charlemagne, which are nice I guess.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 20, 2014

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Shia Islam is hosed as well, and it's embarrassing seeing the Rise event fire only for it to be crushed nigh instantly as soon as the Caliph raises vassal levies.
I've seen the "Hah, the fools fight amongst themselves!" Shia event fire at least five times by now, but I've never seen a Shia pretender child or even a revolt, it's weird as hell.

And Lombardy never does anything exciting after going elective. Dull dull dull that place is. Ironman is dang frustrating because you can't shake things up any in it, but without it I spend most of the game fiddling around, making random counts into wrong religion geniuses, making Ireland Hindu and Ceylon Messalian or some such rot.
God drat it yes, I've been waiting since the start in my previously mentioned Burgundy game to snag Nice from the Lombards, but they've neither expanded nor have they lost any territory. They've been basically frozen in time while everything around them goes to hell.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Since Charlemagne dropped I've been getting CTD here and there. I've been unable to pin down what the heck is causing it either. loving Linux :( I'd really love to try out the two new DLC. I've been playing EUIV instead which is in a really good place right now.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Forget seducer, being an islamic duelist is the best because you can just go ahead and duel any poor motherfucker in the world who happens to become decadent. Gotta keep the Caliphate pure, after all! :black101:

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 20, 2014

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

"I don't want it released until it's perfect" is the one of the worst positions a modder can take. A mod will never be perfect. It's dumb.

Actually, has he done any modding, or is he just loud and outspoken and no one wants to cuss him out of that project's circle? I don't recall him actually making anything or proposing a good idea, but my opinion of him's rather biased at this point and I'm just a bit salty about that mod's developments in general.

No, he has just been a toxic voice from the very beginning of that project. I recall that at least in the early days he was an outspoken advocate of the "Islamic conquest was a historical fluke and shouldn't happen often in the mod, the superior might of the Romans would surely have put down Mohammed's rabble had the timing not been so bad for them :agesilaus:" school of, uh, "thought".

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I have a republic-related question. My kinsman has the highest respect of all the Patricians, thanks in no small part to a hefty donation to his campaign fund. However, his main competitor is apparently going to inherit the Republic once my main character dies, at least according to the tool-tip, and I can't figure out why. I don't have that "You're going to lose some titles!" warning at the top of the screen, and the Laws info page shows my kinsman as my rightful heir... Is the tool-tip lying?

Edit: I just had him executed, to be safe :)

Edit 2: Well, now some other Patrician has the "Heir to the Most Serene Republic of Éire" tool-tip :(

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 20, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Ever since Way of Life came out, I've seen "the Lewd" disturbingly often. Is Europe just one huge medieval fuckfest? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Ever since Way of Life came out, I've seen "the Lewd" disturbingly often. Is Europe just one huge medieval fuckfest? :gonk:

Crusaders Kings II : Is Europe just one huge medieval fuckfest?

• Locked thread