Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folly
May 26, 2010

Rurutia posted:

My parents have been doing this forever. They drive between the Southern US to Canada all the time and it gives them peace of mind. If you break down, the rental company will come and exchange your car which is worth a lot. Not putting a billion miles on your car is really just a bonus. It's also pretty cheap if you do it right. We get it for usually $20-$30 a day.

We rented a Kia Rio for a trip to Florida this summer for about that price. Held all 4 of us and our luggage just fine. It was nearly a wash on rental cost vs wear and tear on our car. The only problem is that I carry liability only, so I had to rely on my credit card's insurance if I damaged it, which was a little scary. But if I can self-insure my own cheap car, then I can self-insure theirs.

We have a hatchback (Insight) as our regular car, so that we can put the dogs in the back when needed. I might get a cargo top for it so we can conceivably take 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 dogs to my parents house 3 hours away. It would pay for itself over boarding/renting in about 3-4 trips. And I wouldn't have to listen to the kids complain if they're on the roof. I've never had one of those cargo things before, are they worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Folly posted:

We rented a Kia Rio for a trip to Florida this summer for about that price. Held all 4 of us and our luggage just fine. It was nearly a wash on rental cost vs wear and tear on our car. The only problem is that I carry liability only, so I had to rely on my credit card's insurance if I damaged it, which was a little scary. But if I can self-insure my own cheap car, then I can self-insure theirs.

I had my credit card's travel insurance cover a total loss once. In weird as gently caress circumstances (I wasn't in the car at the time and didn't see it after the incident), with very few questions asked. I'm A-OK declining the rental company coverage now (especially since it's like $25 a day here)

Don't have liability insurance anymore though, so I don't know what my coverage is right now. Need to find that out before I rent a car.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

FrozenVent posted:

I had my credit card's travel insurance cover a total loss once. In weird as gently caress circumstances (I wasn't in the car at the time and didn't see it after the incident), with very few questions asked. I'm A-OK declining the rental company coverage now (especially since it's like $25 a day here)

Don't have liability insurance anymore though, so I don't know what my coverage is right now. Need to find that out before I rent a car.

Wow. My Amex card said their insurance was to be used only as a secondary. What card did you use for that?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

What say you BFC, should I give this guy all my money? http://www.mandalapropertyservices.com/
A friend of the family on my wife's side keeps shilling for him on my facebook feed. As far as I can tell, I give him my money, and he uses "Leverage" to do some magic with real-estate, feeds me a bunch of buzz words and motivational posters (which I regrettably get enough of already on my facebook feed), and sits back to count his filthy lucre.

Would this be bad with money?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

"If you drive a car that isn't a compact then you are bad with money" - literally a thing goons believe.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

FCKGW posted:

"If you drive a car that isn't a compact then you are bad with money" - literally a thing goons believe.

It's more that it doesn't make sense to buy more car than you need, and that people tend to overestimate how much they need.

Folly
May 26, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Nah. I spend 10-15% of my annual income on the purchase of a car every 5-7 years. I am pretty sure I would scale that up. If I made $500k+ a year, then I'd be buying $50k-$75k luxury cars. But I don't make that much.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

I'm with this guy. Who ever heard of renting a car on vacation!?

To add a serious example to that, when I had my 13/17 MPG truck (bad with money, but at least it was paid off) I did this frequently, as for longer-distance, shorter-duration trips (rental car + rental car fuel) was often less than (truck fuel + truck wear and tear). I'd estimated a wear and tear cost per mile based on eight years of data from my maintenance costs and depreciation, then created a spreadsheet where I could plug in cost per gallon of fuel, cost of the rental car, fuel economy of the rental car, and distance I'd be traveling and it would tell me if it was more cost-effective to rent a car or use my own truck.

Living near Dayton, Ohio, there's a lot of cities I can reasonably drive to within 5-9 hours, so if I did a two-night weekend trip to any of those, it very often ended up being far cheaper to rent a car.

Now that I have a car with a decent fuel economy, I suspect I'll be renting a less often, but we'll see. I don't really have sufficient wear-and-tear cost data (I haven't serviced the car yet) so I'm just having to assume my truck's wear and tear rate until I have enough data to do a proper estimate.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Devian666 posted:

The whole concept of owning a car is bad with money (except if you live in a rural area).

Spending money isn't inherently bad with money - I have run the numbers on this one quite a few times for my circumstance (live in city, commute to suburbs) and while I am paying additional money to do my commute in a car, the net savings of using mass transit versus the time and convenience factor mean that I am perfectly willing to spend an additional $400 net cost a month to get 1600 minutes of my life back, plus some additional soft benefits around schedule flexibility. Is this, on a dollar-for-dollar basis, an inefficient allocation of my marginal dollars? Yes.

Folly
May 26, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Spending money isn't inherently bad with money - I have run the numbers on this one quite a few times for my circumstance (live in city, commute to suburbs) and while I am paying additional money to do my commute in a car, the net savings of using mass transit versus the time and convenience factor mean that I am perfectly willing to spend an additional $400 net cost a month to get 1600 minutes of my life back, plus some additional soft benefits around schedule flexibility. Is this, on a dollar-for-dollar basis, an inefficient allocation of my marginal dollars? Yes.

I'm in roughly the same situation, but I went the other way. Public transit costs me an extra hour a day, but saves me about $100-$200 a month, depending on how you calculate wear and tear. But I consider it practically a wash and I can totally understand both sides of that decision.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

pig slut lisa posted:

I'm with this guy. Who ever heard of renting a car on vacation!?

I hope nobody thought I was seriously agreeing with this :ohdear:

This is actually the concept I agree with:

Not a Children posted:

It's more that it doesn't make sense to buy more car than you need, and that people tend to overestimate how much they need.

It's like when a family of four buys a 3,500 square foot house because they have guests three times a year and entertain every other month.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I drive a scooter to work and spend 12 bucks a month filling it up. Four wheels is bad with money.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Folly posted:

I've never had one of those cargo things before, are they worth it?

Yeah, although you will take a hit in fuel economy, even if it's unloaded. Pick up some ratchet straps from Lowes (and maybe a big ol' tarp to wrap your stuff in, depending on your willingness to expose stuff to bugs/weather) and you're good to go.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

pig slut lisa posted:

It's like when a family of four buys a 3,500 square foot house because they have guests three times a year and entertain every other month would like to entertain and have guests

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I live in a 4200 sq. ft. house and drive 36 miles to work one-way please tell me how I am bad with money.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

FCKGW posted:

I live in a 4200 sq. ft. house and drive 36 miles to work one-way please tell me how I am bad with money.

You are bad with money.

Paiz
Jan 14, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

I drive a scooter to work and spend 12 bucks a month filling it up. Four wheels is bad with money.

I have a coworker that drives an electric scooter that he charges on a publicly accessible outlet at work. He's beating you.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Paiz posted:

I have a coworker that drives an electric scooter that he charges on a publicly accessible outlet at work. He's beating you.

There's a parking garage with an unused security booth that I always see someone surreptitiously charging their Tesla at.

Good/bad with money?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

paperchaseguy posted:

There's a parking garage with an unused security booth that I always see someone surreptitiously charging their Tesla at.

Good/bad with money?

I love it. They leave it there all day, plugged in?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lady calls in and is really nice, but complains about how they have no money for insurance and stuff.

Brand new $5000 TV, custom DVD players in the car, and there was no way they weren't going without their custom TV stands in the basement.

But that extra $5 for insurance is just. Too. Much!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I'm bad with money, I no longer use my car to commute, its KBB is $5k over what I owe, but I'm keeping it because I like to drive to hiking trails and want to travel to see friends/family whenever I feel like it. I figure if I keep it for 20 years, it'll be worthwhile. :shrug:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Not a Children posted:

I'm bad with money, I no longer use my car to commute, its KBB is $5k over what I owe, but I'm keeping it because I like to drive to hiking trails and want to travel to see friends/family whenever I feel like it. I figure if I keep it for 20 years, it'll be worthwhile. :shrug:

Why not sell the car and but a perfectly good $4-5K runabout that will be paid off?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Nocheez posted:

Why not sell the car and but a perfectly good $4-5K runabout that will be paid off?

Main reason is just peace of mind. I bought the car new, I've kept the maintenance up to date, and I've treated it well (except for a couple dings from car doors opened too close). It's got a couple modern accessories that I feel I would miss (handsfree phone use primarily), it's safe, it's efficient, and I'm more than happy driving it up until the engine gives out.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Fair enough. Although it's only abut $100 to put in an aftermarket head unit that would allow Bluetooth connectivity.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Not everyone has the time or know how to be able to adequately choose a used car which won't explode at the drop of a hat. Whenever buying used comes up in this thread goons always seem to make this presumption that everybody is mechanically inclined analytical research junkies who have the inclination to spend 20 hours researching a given model to know all its flaws. They also ignore the possibility that used markets in a given geographic zone may have wildly inflated prices for a given used model eg: Civic.

Yes, I know knowledge is power but just as Not A Children intimated, there is value in having a more expensive known quality product than an unknown variable. It is up to the individual to decide what value is placed where, not the hivemind.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

http://uproxx.com/webculture/2014/12/how-low-cost-gyms-like-planet-fitness-psychologically-manipulate-people-into-not-going-to-the-gym/

The article has some bad with money points as well. There's like 5 acre fitness centers with multiple pools and tennis courts and hand ball courts, etc here for like $250 a month.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That's an exaggeration and it's not unreasonable to ask for 20 hours of research on any given five figure purchase.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Don't be obtuse. It's very tiring to hear the same justifications and arguments trotted out every freaking time used cars come up. For what little it's worth I selected 20 hours as a happy medium since 50 seemed excessive and 10 seemed inadequate. :jerkbag: My point is that not everyone has the inclination nor actual time to sit down and spend 20 hours on every individual model vehicle they're considering purchasing on the used market. That time adds up, especially as you start including different models of vehicle. Sometimes it's more practical to purchase new (or almost new) for safety of mind, even if it is considered 'bad with money' by the dictates of this thread.

Again: Don't be obtuse.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 19, 2014

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I love it. They leave it there all day, plugged in?

Apparently, I've seen it there several times. Tesla forums say you can get 4-6 range miles per hour of charge at a standard wall outlet of 120V 15 amp. So ~40 range miles in 8 hours means you could commute to and from work for free.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

MC Hawking posted:

Don't be obtuse. It's very tiring to hear the same justifications and arguments trotted out every freaking time used cars come up. For what little it's worth I selected 20 hours as a happy medium since 50 seemed excessive and 10 seemed inadequate. :jerkbag:

I'm not saying anything regarding your greater point with regards to the thread or whether or not "always buy a used car" is correct. The only thing I wanted to say was that the idea of not doing that much research on something that costs that much is absolutely insane. You seemed especially flippant about that being a normal attitude and I find that quite disturbing if it's true.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Idk, I bought a new Honda Fit a few years back to upgrade from my 1998 lumina I bought off eBay for $1600 7 years ago and I don't regret it. Car is worth more than I owe right now after a year of payments, and once it's paid off I'll have a car that I have all the maintenance records for and am able to drive for years to come. Not the most financially responsible thing for sure, but the small amount of interest I pay at 2.5% is worth the peace of mind and air conditioned summers (ugh, that lumina). I've done the beater car thing, but since I'm not min/maxing my life, I think small luxuries like this are not super fantastic with money but are also not awful with money and might be considered good at enjoying life. A little.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
That makes more sense and no, I'm not being flippant. One should always do some research on big purchases. :psyduck: But looking at the larger picture of people being bad with money in general that attitude seems particularly pervasive especially in modern western culture. Just look at the last few pages where people discuss their friends asking about financing large vehicles because the cost of gas is low so it's overall cheaper to own.

Also what Marchantia said.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 19, 2014

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I live in the city and I walk 30 minutes to work every day. The rent is probably a few hundred higher than what I would pay in the suburbs, but I get exercise and a free commute, and it's allowing me to ramp up towards selling my car since in Seattle, you really, really don't need one unless you're commuting or driving outside of the city. I want to sell my car but my partner hasn't fully come around to the idea yet (understandable, it was tough for me to come to the decision that I want to be car-free after living in rural areas and sprawling Atlanta for most of my life, where you absolutely MUST have a car if you want to go anywhere) but given some time, she will.

The only part is that I'm kind of upside down on the loan :v: Even when I try to make good with money decisions I'm still the bad with money person. To be fair to me a little bit, when I bought the car I lived in Atlanta and I wasn't planning on moving whatsoever, so the car was a necessary expense. I fully admit that I bought more car than I needed and I really shouldn't have spent that much and I just chalked it up as a learning experience. Also, I've had to teach myself fiscal responsibility and I didn't really have anyone to give me guidance on what I should and shouldn't do. Now, though, I'm well on my way to having a full month's buffer, I'm consumer debt free, and I'm living well within my means. This is the first paycheck since I started using YNAB and listening to BFC where I haven't been able to save anything on because we had a spike in expenses (switched phone carriers due to Verizon raising rates and T-Mobile offering a $100/month family plan with unlimited data) and I didn't want to take anything from my savings to cover it or put it on a credit card. We also had a lot of moving expenses this month (rent, movers, furniture, household goods, basically recovering from a cross-country move and replacing the things we need but didn't bring with us from Atlanta), and those are largely one-time expenses.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 19, 2014

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Goes back to that time vs money thing. The more research you do, the better deal you can get at the cost of time. Throw money at the problem and you can have a new quality car by the end of the day. Priorities, values, and your personal situation make it all relative to you.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Dude just make your own thread.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

MrKatharsis posted:

Dude just make your own thread.

Definitely agree.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

marchantia posted:

Idk, I bought a new Honda Fit a few years back to upgrade from my 1998 lumina I bought off eBay for $1600 7 years ago and I don't regret it. Car is worth more than I owe right now after a year of payments, and once it's paid off I'll have a car that I have all the maintenance records for and am able to drive for years to come. Not the most financially responsible thing for sure, but the small amount of interest I pay at 2.5% is worth the peace of mind and air conditioned summers (ugh, that lumina). I've done the beater car thing, but since I'm not min/maxing my life, I think small luxuries like this are not super fantastic with money but are also not awful with money and might be considered good at enjoying life. A little.
Last year I looked at buying a Honda Fit and the used market is so retarded up here in Canada that the difference in price between used and new was firmly in favour of new, especially when it comes to entry level subcompacts < $20,000 MSRP.

You can get decent deals on used cars from private sellers but most people aren't comfortably going that route unless the seller is a personal acquaintance or family member.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

cowofwar posted:

Last year I looked at buying a Honda Fit and the used market is so retarded up here in Canada that the difference in price between used and new was firmly in favour of new, especially when it comes to entry level subcompacts < $20,000 MSRP.

You can get decent deals on used cars from private sellers but most people aren't comfortably going that route unless the seller is a personal acquaintance or family member.

This was also true where I am in Wisconsin. The dealership used market was laughable for the last three model years or so, and as far as private dealers went, there weren't a ton out there and the price difference wasn't big enough to make it worth the uncertain maintenence/driving/accident record, for me anyway. But I am a female in my 20s with limited repair knowledge, and didn't feel like having to deal with finding mechanics that weren't going to look at me and immediately try and rip me off because they assume I'm an idiot.

Also my car is bright teal, don't judge me. New cars can have other dumb perks too. :sparkles:

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

cowofwar posted:

I've been looking at getting a new car and the price between brand new and 2-3 years old is so little I can't really justify not just paying the slight premium and buying new. Sure I might save like $1,500 but I would be getting a used car with 70,000+km on it. Maybe the previous owner was a lovely driver and put a lot of wear on the car or had an unreported accident. The old belief that driving the car off the lot depreciates it significantly is definitely not true in Canada for cheaper cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

cowofwar posted:

I never understood this viewpoint.

You can either try your luck by buying a car from some random guy who might be trying to screw you... or try your luck buying from a business built on years of successfully screwing customers.

Maybe a wee bit of hyperbole there, but I think the central point is still valid.

• Locked thread