Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Those look a lot like Akihiko Yoshida, the dude who did the art for FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre, and Bravely Default. Also I love the weird fuzzy sweaters that everyone's wearing in Klim's picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

TARDISman posted:

art for FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre, and Bravely Default.

You raise a good point, no one has a nose in those images.

But really though after you mentioned it yeah it does sort of look like his style.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Sharkopath posted:

Something small I missed before, cute little sketches Kenichi Yoshida had put up on his twitter.

https://twitter.com/gallo44_yoshida

Hipster Mask is a thing of beauty.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like how this show's take on the ever-present bridge bunnies look like they could beat the crap out of any other character thus far. The helmsman especially looks like she could lay out any of the pilots with one punch.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

So many great little touches in this newest episode.

Momentum train gone a rolling.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Yeah, getting Klim and Mask together was probably as silly as you were expecting.

I think we also got our first look at a Photon Battery:

I don't know where I expected them to go, but it probably wasn't the knees. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Colonel Turbo is my new favourite character name :allears:. Also it looks like Earthnoid's a term used by everybody. Cumpa's still puppet-masteringly sketchy as gently caress though.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Cumpa ducking out of sight as the moonrace delegation arrived was a nice touch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maarak posted:

Cumpa ducking out of sight as the moonrace delegation arrived was a nice touch.

Also we found the link to Aila and Bellri with the Rayhunton name drop, considering the Rayhunton Code. Survivors of the Rayhunton family? Whoever could they be?...

Anyone else notice that none of the Zanscare guys haven't made any comments about the G-Self yet?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also we found the link to Aila and Bellri with the Rayhunton name drop, considering the Rayhunton Code. Survivors of the Rayhunton family? Whoever could they be?...

Anyone else notice that none of the Zanscare guys haven't made any comments about the G-Self yet?

This is probably what I found funniest in the episode. Aida used "Aida Rayhunton" as a fake name, but it seems she got her actual birth name (or last name, at least) right entirely by mistake. I do agree that everything seems to point right now at Bellri and Aida (and possibly Raraiya) being the survivors of the Rayhunton family.

Mask/Klim interactions were as great as you'd expect from the two best characters. And we got a title drop! Apparently it wasn't a random title, who would've guessed.

Also let me agree with people saying Cumpa is really untrustworthy.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is probably what I found funniest in the episode. Aida used "Aida Rayhunton" as a fake name, but it seems she got her actual birth name (or last name, at least) right entirely by mistake. I do agree that everything seems to point right now at Bellri and Aida (and possibly Raraiya) being the survivors of the Rayhunton family.

Mask/Klim interactions were as great as you'd expect from the two best characters. And we got a title drop! Apparently it wasn't a random title, who would've guessed.

Also let me agree with people saying Cumpa is really untrustworthy.

Brain damaged Moe-Blob isn't much better than Cumpa. Oh I suddenly have a fever right before I'd end up in a room with people who would almost certainly know who I am. What a coincidence. At least, I'm hoping that she specifically faked it, because otherwise that writing is loving atrocious.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Every week that passes I'm super excited to see the episode and then I get mad be side it sets up just enough to make the next episode sound even more appealing.

Raraiya wakes up! Bell loses his poo poo! Aids drags everybody to the moooooooooooon!

This is torture.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It seems more like aida knows what's up with the Rayhunton family, or at least she was very surprised by the name drop in the meeting. The situation on the moon is probably just as complicated as the situation on earth and I can't wait to see it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh wow, everything was so fantastic.

Between Klim and Mask laughing about a plan to make a decapitation strike under a flag of truce, and the Towasanga folks explaining that they're really just reacting to the reemergence of intercontinental war, and they're legit doing their best to rebuild earth... are we actually the bad guys? :ohdear:

I mean, I'm sure things are going to get even more complicated, but I like how they're setting things up that way right now.

Klim bursting into sensitive negotiations, hearing three things, and then making up the most self-serving pro-Amerian explination for them and loudly denouncing the Towasanga envoy was a hilarious way to namedrop the title.

Also hilarious, Cumpa's shifty eyes right after someone says, "we're all Earthnoids". Mask loudly praising Klim and thinking to himself "what an idiot". Barara Peor introducing herself like three times and the focus shifting to the internal thoughts of a character ignoring her each time.

Mask's scheme to let their two enemies fight while they hold back, and Klim's scheme to abuse a flag of truce both coming to absolutely nothing because no one took them seriously, allowing them to declare themselves to be nasty without actually being able to do anything nasty was a great way to portray them as misguided without having us lose sympathy for them.

I love how Tomino is making his point through farce, rather than straight up tragedy. The feeling of conflicts being based on a frustrating and stupid lack of understanding and an inability to see other perspectives shines through, but the blow is softened because it's so drat hilarious.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eiba posted:

Between Klim and Mask laughing about a plan to make a decapitation strike under a flag of truce, and the Towasanga folks explaining that they're really just reacting to the reemergence of intercontinental war, and they're legit doing their best to rebuild earth... are we actually the bad guys? :ohdear:

I mean, I'm sure things are going to get even more complicated, but I like how they're setting things up that way right now.

Klim bursting into sensitive negotiations, hearing three things, and then making up the most self-serving pro-Amerian explination for them and loudly denouncing the Towasanga envoy was a hilarious way to namedrop the title.

Also hilarious, Cumpa's shifty eyes right after someone says, "we're all Earthnoids". Mask loudly praising Klim and thinking to himself "what an idiot". Barara Peor introducing herself like three times and the focus shifting to the internal thoughts of a character ignoring her each time.

Mask's scheme to let their two enemies fight while they hold back, and Klim's scheme to abuse a flag of truce both coming to absolutely nothing because no one took them seriously, allowing them to declare themselves to be nasty without actually being able to do anything nasty was a great way to portray them as misguided without having us lose sympathy for them.

I love how Tomino is making his point through farce, rather than straight up tragedy. The feeling of conflicts being based on a frustrating and stupid lack of understanding and an inability to see other perspectives shines through, but the blow is softened because it's so drat hilarious.

I'm pretty sure the Towasanga guys are lying out their rear end.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

Klim holding a rifle behind his back as he greets Mask.

Junior moon-dude yanking on Klim's ponytail during their slapfight.

Both sides gloating that the other has no experience of warfare/space

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Caros posted:

Yeah, that 'they're not good soldiers yet' line was hella suspicious.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

This was one of my favorite parts of the episode.

Beside Luan's goddamn swim trunks:

This is what happens when you build your base at the beach.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

These guys are already much less gullible than the Moonrace ever were; Earthnoids are in for a pounding if it's to be war.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Barara's Mack Knife doing a little golfclap might be my favourite little detail so far. :allears:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Junior moon-dude yanking on Klim's ponytail during their slapfight.

Both sides gloating that the other has no experience of warfare/space

Klim Nick running right over to Mick to get comforted after getting yanked was a great little touch too.

Despite all her talk about Bellri and his mom Nick himself is way more dependent on her than he lets on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Brain damaged Moe-Blob isn't much better than Cumpa. Oh I suddenly have a fever right before I'd end up in a room with people who would almost certainly know who I am. What a coincidence. At least, I'm hoping that she specifically faked it, because otherwise that writing is loving atrocious.

.. Uh, did you miss the part where they specifically said she didn't have a fever?

Honestly, I loved this episode just because Mask and Nick's teams interacting was goddamn comedy gold.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 20, 2014

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

.. Uh, did you miss the part where they specifically said she didn't have a fever?

Honestly, I loved this episode just because Mask and Nick's teams interacting was goddamn comedy gold.

Tomino said this and the next two episodes were going to be a lot of fun and I believe him now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Tomino said this and the next two episodes were going to be a lot of fun and I believe him now.

G-Reco, for all its flaws, has a really really good supporting cast. It has a huge cast but the bulk of characters are distinctive and likable and have a lot of interesting quirks or traits which help flesh them out.

It's also nice that it has a fairly large female cast with a variety of roles and personalities. This really stood out in the elevator scene. There's obviously some romance stuff going on but it isn't dominating the plot and you can describe most characters as something besides (x's) boyfriend/girlfriend. Even Noredo, who is the Fa/Fraw of the show so far, spends more time with Raraya than being Bellri's Default Choice.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

More shows need to stick people from opposing sides together in an elevator.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

G-Reco, for all its flaws, has a really really good supporting cast. It has a huge cast but the bulk of characters are distinctive and likable and have a lot of interesting quirks or traits which help flesh them out.

It's also nice that it has a fairly large female cast with a variety of roles and personalities. This really stood out in the elevator scene. There's obviously some romance stuff going on but it isn't dominating the plot and you can describe most characters as something besides (x's) boyfriend/girlfriend. Even Noredo, who is the Fa/Fraw of the show so far, spends more time with Raraya than being Bellri's Default Choice.

Honestly im prepared to call it one of the better gundam shows right now, flaws and all, but it would be wise to see the payoff for the ending first.

I believe in it though, all the interviews with the staff keep mentioning that Tomino himself, as old as he is, is still working like a madman to put the show together, because he feels hell he too tired to do another show afterwards.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Srice posted:

More shows need to stick people from opposing sides together in an elevator.

:agreed:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Honestly im prepared to call it one of the better gundam shows right now, flaws and all, but it would be wise to see the payoff for the ending first.

I

Basically the only thing I really want to see is if the plot has appropriate payoff and like.. coherence. The characters are great and probably will remain so so it's really the core story that is kind of up for debate since it is still in Tons Of Mystery mode.

At very least it's gonna be fuckin' great in SRW.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So next episode the Space Pirates are going to try to find one piece on the other side of the Moon?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

Go watch the episode again. Never pay attention to what Raraiya says, pay attention to what she does. She loses her poo poo when she hears the Colonel's name and made a break for the space suits and G-Self when she heard Towasanga was coming like she was trying to leg it. Not going anywhere near the meeting at Sankt Porto seems pretty smart if she's part of the Rayhunton group

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Caros posted:

Oh I'm sure they're up to something sinister, but they gave a perfectly reasonable story so far. If the intercontinental war started 10 years ago, this could very easily just be a reaction to that. It probably has something to do with the war at least. If they're up to something bad I'd imagine they're preparing to brutally punish Ameria and Gondwan for their war and unauthorized technology, but even if that's the case they're not straight up lying right now.

I mean, this isn't a pretext for an invasion because they already control Earth with SU-Cordism. If anything it's some sort of "disciplinary" action, to try to nip in the bud a potential challenge to their reconstruction timeline. That's going to be just as bad for our sympathetic Earthnoids as an invasion would be, but it's an important distinction.

Sharkopath posted:

Personally, I feel this has been too much fun so far, and even with a lovely ending it'll be up there for me, below Turn A, but on same level as the original, Zeta, and 0080.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Regarding the preview:

God dammit is that a death flag for Mick Jack? I like her and Hecate.

Eiba posted:

Good post here, I'd been trying to figure out how it worked when nobody appears to be villains yet, besides some of the Capital leadership who may not be without justification from their perspective.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 20, 2014

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Oh hey, you know what else was fun?

The dreaded Banana Finger Lock:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Further evidence that the Towasangans are actually motherfucking Zanscare:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We won't know for sure until they start guillotining people.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eiba posted:

Personally, I feel this has been too much fun so far, and even with a lovely ending it'll be up there for me, below Turn A, but on same level as the original, Zeta, and 0080.

I feel the same way, though I'm confident the ending will be decent at minimum since if there's one thing I've noticed Tomino having a knack for in his shows, it's having a memorable ending regardless of the show's overall tone.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Was the spark of the intercontinental war the arrival of the Rayhunton refugees/dissidents and/or the Rose of Hermes Blueprints, or did both just occur around the same time?

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
Colonel Cumpa is probably responsible for leaking those Rose of Hermes blueprints to both Ameria and Gondowan. We know for a fact that Ameria and Gondowan violated the taboo by creating warships, and they could have only done so through collaborators from Towasanga. We know Cumpa is the man behind the technological upsurge of the Capital, it's likely that he's the one who leaked the Hermes blueprints to the other nations as well. May have even manipulated them into going to war, to provoke an arms race situation between all three major nations. Maybe Cumpa's trying to defend the Earth in his own way, though that seems unlikely given his comment about "earthnoids." Maybe he just wants revenge for the Rayhunton purge they hinted at? Since their remnants are described as "survivors."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ryas posted:

Colonel Cumpa is probably responsible for leaking those Rose of Hermes blueprints to both Ameria and Gondowan. We know for a fact that Ameria and Gondowan violated the taboo by creating warships, and they could have only done so through collaborators from Towasanga. We know Cumpa is the man behind the technological upsurge of the Capital, it's likely that he's the one who leaked the Hermes blueprints to the other nations as well. May have even manipulated them into going to war, to provoke an arms race situation between all three major nations. Maybe Cumpa's trying to defend the Earth in his own way, though that seems unlikely given his comment about "earthnoids." Maybe he just wants revenge for the Rayhunton purge they hinted at? Since their remnants are described as "survivors."

I reckon he's playing Anaheim Electronics and letting everyone do the R&D work on the Rose of Hermes Blueprints for him. Everyone builds up their own prototypes and irons out the flaws, then he walks away with the best tech from all three factions to play with.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
I like how every side seems to have a pair that's male and female. Bellri/Aida, Klim Nick/Mick Jack, Mask/Pink Bunny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Missing Link posted:

I like how every side seems to have a pair that's male and female. Bellri/Aida, Klim Nick/Mick Jack, Mask/Pink Bunny.

With one civilian girl tagged on. See the pictures on the previous page.

• Locked thread