Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Stephanie lost her memory and forgot she loved Test after Davey Boy Smith threw a trash can at her head on one of them I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spermgod posted:

Stephanie lost her memory and forgot she loved Test after Davey Boy Smith threw a trash can at her head on one of them I think
and davey boy smith revealed that he is a pokemon named 'where's my title shot'

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Has anything of any storyline importance (changing of a title, storyline moving forward in a meaningful way etc) ever actually happened at a British WWE PPV? Can you safely skip all the Inserrection etc shows I guess is my question.

I actually didn't know WWE was doing them when I was watching and I had no moments of "huh?" (aside from Russo nonsense) back then.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
One Night Only has the Shawn/Davey match where Davey lost the European title in front of his dying sister. The dickiest move HBK ever pulled IMO.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Thauros posted:

Thanks guys.

That's what I assumed, because well, how the gently caress could Mexicans (or anybody for that matter) be so naïve? But I'm the farthest thing from a lucha expert and only started getting into CMLL thanks to their NJPW partnership so I didn't want to be too quick to laugh off what he was saying.

I remember coming across that Ole story somewhere, and yeah I guess I ca believe that his mentality still exists in other areas.

I think it has more to do with in Mexico it's considered a "sport" in the sense that Americans consider Figure Skating or floor gymnastics a sport. Where everything is planned out ahead of time but what matters is the displays of skill, talent and athleticism rather than whether or not one guy winning was "real".

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I think it has more to do with in Mexico it's considered a "sport" in the sense that Americans consider Figure Skating or floor gymnastics a sport. Where everything is planned out ahead of time but what matters is the displays of skill, talent and athleticism rather than whether or not one guy winning was "real".

Eh this is kind of a an untrue American understanding of lucha, especially today. AAA is the most visible of the two major companies and while AAA has some athletic guys it draws with lots of soap opera storylines, big stars from the boom period and good vs evil escapism. Lucha has always been very big on the good vs evil escapism. There's definitely the element of it being treated like a real sport by the commissions and remaining publications, but I think the idea that fans care most about skill and athleticism isn't true.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OctoberCountry posted:

It's also why he's been gone for 7 months with no timetable for returning.

Actually no, it's not, unless you mean him working hurt in general. But the stinger in that match had nothing to do with the poo poo he's dealing with right now (specifically speaking).

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thauros posted:

Did Big John Studd ever win a title? It says on his wiki page that he was a WWWF World Tag Champ in a team with Killer Kowalski, but I see no record of that either on the Wiki page for the title's history or the WWE's official list.

Related to this: I don't know a single thing about Big John Studd except that he was huge, had a bodyslam match with Andre and was in the 2014 WWE game. was he just big but lovely considering no one ever talks about him?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Has anything of any storyline importance (changing of a title, storyline moving forward in a meaningful way etc) ever actually happened at a British WWE PPV? Can you safely skip all the Inserrection etc shows I guess is my question.

Davey Boy and Bret at Summerslam, but that's it.

The British PPVs are hilarious though and usually worth a watch. They're basically glorified house shows. The triple threat match from 2000 is actually a lot of fun. In terms of moving story lines along etc though no, nothing ever happened there.

Except for "Where's my title shot?"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The one where Mick Foley came out for a promo and said "they told me backstage I'm not allowed to say 'wanker'" was the funniest thing 14 year old me had ever ever heard

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Related to this: I don't know a single thing about Big John Studd except that he was huge, had a bodyslam match with Andre and was in the 2014 WWE game. was he just big but lovely considering no one ever talks about him?

He also cut off Andre's afro, that motherfucker.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

SG Bamboo posted:

It still makes me chuckle that London and Kendrick of all people are officially the longest reigning WWE Tag Team Champions. No other team has come close to equaling their reign.

See, before they got rid of the heritage of the old tag belts, Demolition was the longest reigning tag champs. Now it's London and Kendrick.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Why did Shane Douglas get fired from WCW in 1993?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why did Shane Douglas get hired by anyone at any time?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why did Shane Douglas get hired by anyone at any time?

Hey now, I don't think this is fair. People love burying Douglas but I think he was a fine worker and good on the mic.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Burt Buckle posted:

Did he get fired? I thought he "quit" or faked an injury or something.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Burt Buckle posted:

Hell, he was in WWF before going back to WCW. People often forget that he had a WWF run before he returned as Dean Douglas.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Did he get fired? I thought he "quit" or faked an injury or something.

I thought I read that he was fired, but I just checked his official website and it says he left because he didn't like the direction the company was going. I must have confused this with a later firing. Ignore me (and all WCW 1993 television, I've been marathoning it. Very bad).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Burt Buckle posted:

I thought I read that he was fired, but I just checked his official website and it says he left because he didn't like the direction the company was going. I must have confused this with a later firing. Ignore me (and all WCW 1993 television, I've been marathoning it. Very bad).

Of all the things Shane Douglas did or is rumored to have done I don't think you can blame him for wanting to run away from early 90s WCW.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!
There was that period of time from late 1990 to early 1993 where it was unwatchable

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

triplexpac posted:

Hey now, I don't think this is fair. People love burying Douglas but I think he was a fine worker and good on the mic.

Douglas was a good worker but not nearly as good as he thought he was, and his promos went on way too long because he never had great instincts on the stick. People bury him because he's convinced that he was The Guy in wrestling and got screwed over by politics, and he just wasn't that guy at all. It's really obvious how full of poo poo he is when you see him work anywhere besides ECW.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

CombineThresher posted:

Douglas was a good worker but not nearly as good as he thought he was, and his promos went on way too long because he never had great instincts on the stick. People bury him because he's convinced that he was The Guy in wrestling and got screwed over by politics, and he just wasn't that guy at all. It's really obvious how full of poo poo he is when you see him work anywhere besides ECW.

He deserves credit for being the prototype of Triple H's Game character.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Saul Goode posted:

He deserves credit for being the prototype

Love him or hate him,

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Saul Goode posted:

He deserves credit for being the prototype of Triple H's Game character.

He's doin big bidness, I live this

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ayn rand hand job posted:

He's doin big bidness, I live this

Is he a soulja though?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Does everyone else also hate the WWE ZOOM IN at the impact moment of moves? It makes modern WWE programming, including NXT, impossible to watch for me.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sub Rosa posted:

Does everyone else also hate the WWE ZOOM IN at the impact moment of moves? It makes modern WWE programming, including NXT, impossible to watch for me.

Is it universally hated? I can't speak for everyone in the universe, but there's a lot of loathing for it around here.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Memento posted:

Is it universally hated? I can't speak for everyone in the universe, but there's a lot of loathing for it around here.
I'm one of those annoying people who defends the use of "documentary style" shaky cam on TV and in movies, and even I hate it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Sub Rosa posted:

It's loving dumb.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sub Rosa posted:

Feels like I'm watching a video game, the WWE games also used to have camera effects during finishers.

I hope they do slow motion next.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
My pet peeve is whenever they do a backstage promo, they always have to insert an unneccesary shot of the audience with the titantron in the background. Like it's important that we have to be told that fans at the show are seeing what we're seeing too, for some reason. Half the time nobody's even watching it anyway.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

i think cornette said this but maybe not, the zoom in/quick cut is a big slap in the face to the talent and basically says we don't trust you to make your moves look convincing and it often totally cuts out the actual impact. it also screams "reality show" and shatters any remaining vestige of attempting to look like a legitimate sporting event.

like most things in wwe, if used sparingly it would be fine because it's unique and something that only they could pull off production-wise, but it is completely over-used.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

WeaponX posted:

i think cornette said this but maybe not, the zoom in/quick cut is a big slap in the face to the talent and basically says we don't trust you to make your moves look convincing and it often totally cuts out the actual impact. it also screams "reality show" and shatters any remaining vestige of attempting to look like a legitimate sporting event.

like most things in wwe, if used sparingly it would be fine because it's unique and something that only they could pull off production-wise, but it is completely over-used.

It also doesn't work because cutting on impact is a mistake that movies make, and it isn't as convincing as people think it is. There was a video recently on the editing in Jackie Chan movies that demonstrate this. Often, they'll show Jackie performing a kick, and then the next shot will slightly overlap with that one before showing the impact. It's because it allows the eye to adjust to what's being seen and take in the strike.

I know that a movie and a live event has a different feel and rythm, but instead what happens when they zoom or cut is that I feel like I'm missing something. It doesn't have the desired effect, it just makes me wonder why they're cutting away.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The "zoom in on impact" camerawork started in ECW, so blame Heyman.

No idea why WWE only started doing it recently.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Why did the seasons of NXT that were on SciFi have those weird camera angles? I loved it, it made it feel different from the other 47 hours of WWE programming every week.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Sub Rosa posted:

Yeah it's pretty awful. Doesn't get to me as much as JERK THE CAMERA IN EVERY DIRECTION during chaotic moments though.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 20, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the zoom in sucks because it makes it so you can't see the cool move as well

imagine if every time austin did a stunner it zoomed in on the shoulder, you wouldn't be able to see rock's ridiculous flips or anything

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Say, do you take your mask off when you go to the bathroom?
Why did NewGen WWF have such an influx of insane gimmicks? Like a wrestling mountie, wrestling dentist, wrestling college professor? There were plenty of weird gimmicks before and after but watching 92-96 it feels like 90% of the roster either had a "wrestling as second job" gimmick or some other outlandish thing like Bastion Booger.

Was there anyone backstage during that time who kept pitching ideas like that? Or was it all Vince? Did he use up all his good gimmick ideas in the 80s?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Happyman posted:

Why did NewGen WWF have such an influx of insane gimmicks? Like a wrestling mountie, wrestling dentist, wrestling college professor? There were plenty of weird gimmicks before and after but watching 92-96 it feels like 90% of the roster either had a "wrestling as second job" gimmick or some other outlandish thing like Bastion Booger.

Was there anyone backstage during that time who kept pitching ideas like that? Or was it all Vince? Did he use up all his good gimmick ideas in the 80s?

If I recall it was Bruce Pritchard but I might be wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
More than the bad camera work I particularly hate how Michael cole acts like he is taking the moves by giving his voice an inflection even for simple transition moves. Any time someone hits the mat he has to go Ohhhh! And it's really annoying.