Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Oh, I'm sure you can buy it, but you know, I'm constantly loving broke because I must have all the toys, and I'm pretty sure there's still a few very nice weapons to be bought plus constant ammo restocking needs.

Just ... just read up on what you can find next mission. I winced when you bought that steyr aug, given that you can get it from mooks during the next mission for free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

double nine posted:

Just ... just read up on what you can find next mission. I winced when you bought that steyr aug, given that you can get it from mooks during the next mission for free!

But if I wait until the weapons drop regularly, then I can't maximize my usage of them! I clearly have to get everything ASAP. That, and I really wanted the Steyr for those two assholes. The Uzi and the like just don't have the punch I need to compete with the damage they deal.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The KoE can enter and exit the Umbra and the Underworld, and have a power that lets them zip about on leylines.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

TheMcD posted:

We can now check out the board room, but there's nothing interesting in here. Oh well. Time to reload (I don't think this has any impact, but it doesn't bring anything, so I'll just ignore it for the canon run) and check out that tomb some more.
Huh. Bruno should have given XP for defeating him. Not much — basically a consolation prize – but some. Since the side-bits here have obviously been tampered with, it’s probably safe to blame :wesp: once again! :drac:

TheMcD posted:

Melee attacks that loving HURT. There is only one way to win this - hit and run and run and run. If you can get one of the two in your face, then backpedal, then unload into him while he tries to catch up to attack, you can deal some decent damage.
While, yes, hit’n’run is the way to do this, there's actually an easier way to apply that. See, in my opinion, the arena is a trap, since it stacks the fight in their favour. Nice and circular so they can attack into your blind spot, high ground to teleport away to/launch fireballs from… and of course two of them versus one of you.

Might be my preference for stealth/melee/unfair fights speaking here, but my preferred way to handle this fight is to back up into the entranceway once you’re done talking and make them come to you. :black101: They can’t teleport behind you, so they'll have to noisily run in on foot, usually one at a time, and give you ample chance to hit them with whatever nasty chargeable attack you have up your sleeve without worrying about getting ambushed. If you like guns, it’s a turkey shoot. When they teleport? They teleport away, leaving you with either a breather or a single opponent to focus on.

Of course, if you like a challenge or a “fair fight” or whatever? Don’t do it this way. If you like utterly pantsing them because you're a Nos and you missed out on the party? Have fun. :smuggo:

e:

TheMcD posted:

Oh, I'm sure you can buy it, but you know, I'm constantly loving broke because I must have all the toys, and I'm pretty sure there's still a few very nice weapons to be bought plus constant ammo restocking needs.
Plus, you know, why buy the cow when you can get the milk blood for free? :chef:

GrimRevenant fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 18, 2014

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
This is the ONE location where all the girls aren't bisexual. Any attempt to woo the ladies (as a lady) will be shut down and have negative consequences, purple text be damned.

Of course this was done for obvious reasons (being that the Giovanni REALLY look down on that kind of stuff).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

mauman posted:

This is the ONE location where all the girls aren't bisexual. Any attempt to woo the ladies (as a lady) will be shut down and have negative consequences, purple text be damned.

Of course this was done for obvious reasons (being that the Giovanni REALLY look down on that kind of stuff).

I wish there was more of that, honestly. Or at least make the # of male-to-male seduction opportunities the same # as the female-to-female opportunities. As it is, running around in female bisexual land is ... weird.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

double nine posted:

I wish there was more of that, honestly. Or at least make the # of male-to-male seduction opportunities the same # as the female-to-female opportunities. As it is, running around in female bisexual land is ... weird.

Eh....I'm not particularly a fan of "everybody is bi" in general. It cheapens characters in my opinion. This applies to the whole "all females are bi - except ones that belong to the creepy Italian family" thing too.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
How the hell do you work out that party and catacombs entrance as a Nossie?

double nine posted:

In order to get that item you need to go to her after the Society of Leopold mission but before reporting to Lacroix. After you brief Lacroix it's too late. You are also a monster if you take the item ...

Then obviously we must get it. Mostly because I never knew about this armor.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Worst case scenario, it's accessible through the console. According to Google, if you punch in 'give item_a_' you can use arrows to scroll through the options.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

DeusExMachinima posted:

How the hell do you work out that party and catacombs entrance as a Nossie?

Plenty of Obfuscate and Stealth. There's an entrance at the back of the house that you can sneak in through, and the house itself is riddled with secret passages - some of which end up in rooms with vendor trash. What you mostly miss out on is the sidequest there where you go A Fist Full of Dollars and play the trio of would-be ghouls against one another.

The other method of getting down in to the catacombs involves flipping a switch on the dissection table, which works as an elevator.

Or you can go full on BAMF and take out the entire mansion.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I love the Giovanni mansion because it's designed to cater to all three playstyles. You didn't show them, but there's a network of secret passages between the walls, with hidden doors to get into them. If your Perception is high enough the doors glow like item pick-ups do. There are peep-holes in the passages that look out into the main areas - through paintings, naturally. There are one or two Easter eggs you can only see through the peepholes, like the twin sisters purging in the bathroom.

Also, if you have one of the powers that lets you see auras through walls, you can see Bruno and the other family heads gathered in the dining room while the doors are closed. A mix of vampire and human auras. If you noclip into the dining room without raising the alarm, they all use the same Uncle Bruno model, and all the extras just disappear when Bruno busts through the door.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Can you rat out all three ghouls in a single playthrough?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Rockopolis posted:

Can you rat out all three ghouls in a single playthrough?

No, because the moment you rat one out, they get pissed at you and you can't talk to them anymore, and you can't rat the one you told the first secret out to the third one either, you're blocked from doing that. The only options (at least in the plus patch) are "do nothing", "reveal one secret to one of the three" and "reveal both secrets to one of the three".

IMJack posted:

I love the Giovanni mansion because it's designed to cater to all three playstyles. You didn't show them, but there's a network of secret passages between the walls, with hidden doors to get into them. If your Perception is high enough the doors glow like item pick-ups do. There are peep-holes in the passages that look out into the main areas - through paintings, naturally. There are one or two Easter eggs you can only see through the peepholes, like the twin sisters purging in the bathroom.

Also, if you have one of the powers that lets you see auras through walls, you can see Bruno and the other family heads gathered in the dining room while the doors are closed. A mix of vampire and human auras. If you noclip into the dining room without raising the alarm, they all use the same Uncle Bruno model, and all the extras just disappear when Bruno busts through the door.

You know, I never knew there were secret passages and poo poo. I always take the social way in, and while I did explore the back area, I never found anything interesting.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TheMcD posted:

No, because the moment you rat one out, they get pissed at you and you can't talk to them anymore, and you can't rat the one you told the first secret out to the third one either, you're blocked from doing that. The only options (at least in the plus patch) are "do nothing", "reveal one secret to one of the three" and "reveal both secrets to one of the three".

You know, I never knew there were secret passages and poo poo. I always take the social way in, and while I did explore the back area, I never found anything interesting.

the hidden wall doors are indistinguishable from real walls and I don't think they even have an icon to show you they can be used. Here is a screenshot:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101003225706/v__/vtmb/images/8/89/Giovanni_passage.jpg

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yep, they're accessible from the front door area Right before you walk into the big room with everyone standing around. The old doom tactic of "walk along the wall and get an activation sign" still works here if your inspection is too low.

Neat things to find are the aforementioned purge scene, and you can see someone in the library activate the sword so you know how to do it yourself. There's even a handy library exit from the wall passageways.

Just a nice touch for nosferatu or sneaky-focused people.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
:magical: Well I've been playing this game for years and never knew about that. There's always something new.

ninja: wait, what "purge scene"?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

DeusExMachinima posted:

:magical: Well I've been playing this game for years and never knew about that. There's always something new.

ninja: wait, what "purge scene"?

two girls vomiting blood in a sink. IIRC you can't get in the room because the door is locked by an infinite lock.

Saurian Supreme
Oct 21, 2012
One thing I never got about this quest is how the hell are you supposed to steal a giant stone sarcophagus out from under the Giovanni's noses during a big party without anybody noticing? wait, scratch that. how are you supposed to move the drat thing period? At least in the museum there was a loading bay and dolleys, I have no idea how the pc is expected to get a several ton stone sarcophagus up all those flights of stairs in the catacombs all by themselves with no mechanical aids.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Saurian Supreme posted:

One thing I never got about this quest is how the hell are you supposed to steal a giant stone sarcophagus out from under the Giovanni's noses during a big party without anybody noticing? wait, scratch that. how are you supposed to move the drat thing period? At least in the museum there was a loading bay and dolleys, I have no idea how the pc is expected to get a several ton stone sarcophagus up all those flights of stairs in the catacombs all by themselves with no mechanical aids.

If you have high potence you could just carry it out, I guess. Otherwise it doesn't really make a lot of sense.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just assumed the Giovanni had another way to get the sarcophagus down there in the first place, and you use the same way to get it out. I don't see them carting the thing through the house, the lab, and the twisty trapped passages into that crypt. It's not like you would have known the sarcophagus was in the crypt so you wouldn't think to look for other ways in. Hell, you probably stole their truck.

Also assume the Chang brothers got in the same way and dealt with any physical security in their way.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Saurian Supreme posted:

wait, scratch that. how are you supposed to move the drat thing period?

In tabletop VtM, vampires can spend a blood point to increase a physical attribute by one point for a 'scene', which would be long enough to manhandle a sarcophagus into a trolley or even out the doors and into a truck. A vampire of the 8th generation or higher can raise their attributes to a maximum of six dots - one dot above the theoretical human maximum - which when applied to strength would be enough to lift about a ton, which to my mind seems a plausible weight for a sarcophagus.

The game simplifies this into the 'blood buff' ability, which raises all physical attributes to 5 instead.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm just imagining the pc carrying the sarcophagus on one shoulder through the mansion, whistling innocently as they move past the guards. Nothing to see here folks.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Tehan posted:

In tabletop VtM, vampires can spend a blood point to increase a physical attribute by one point for a 'scene', which would be long enough to manhandle a sarcophagus into a trolley or even out the doors and into a truck. A vampire of the 8th generation or higher can raise their attributes to a maximum of six dots - one dot above the theoretical human maximum - which when applied to strength would be enough to lift about a ton, which to my mind seems a plausible weight for a sarcophagus.

The game simplifies this into the 'blood buff' ability, which raises all physical attributes to 5 instead.

Technically, you can raise your Strength all the way to 10 no matter what your generation. It's just that when you stop spending blood it goes down a point per round until it hits your maximum ability rating + 1.

Why you'd do that is beyond me, unless you really, REALLY felt like having your character pick up a loaded semi and throw it at someone.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

citybeatnik posted:

Technically, you can raise your Strength all the way to 10 no matter what your generation. It's just that when you stop spending blood it goes down a point per round until it hits your maximum ability rating + 1.

Why you'd do that is beyond me, unless you really, REALLY felt like having your character pick up a loaded semi and throw it at someone.

Strength 5 + Potence 5 + Torquing out the Blood Buff = Whackin' fools with a Ford F350.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

To put all the cards on the table, you can pump it up one blood point per round and it starts ticking back down to 6 if it's above it at one point per round, three rounds after you stop pumping it. Our protagonist has a base strength of 2 and a blood pool of 15, and a round is three seconds. For further reference, here's the full strength table from the VtM revised rulebook, showing what is possible at each strength level without making a roll:

code:
Strength	Feats			Lift

1	Crush a beer can		40 lbs
2	Break a wooden chair		100 lbs
3	Break down a wooden door	250 lbs
4	Break a 2'x4' board		400 lbs
5	Break open a metal fire door	650 lbs
6	Throw a motorcycle		800 lbs
7	Flip over a small car		900 lbs
8	Break a 3' lead pipe		1000 lbs
9	Punch through a cement wall	1200 lbs
10	Rip open a steel drum		1500 lbs
11	Punch through 1" sheet metal	2000 lbs
12	Break a metal lamp post		3000 lbs
13	Throw a station wagon		4000 lbs
14	Throw a van			5000 lbs
15	Throw a truck			6000 lbs
Even wussy Ventrues can start heaving tons of weight around if they're so inclined. Our protagonist could hover at punch-through-walls level for a full minute if they spent their entire blood pool on it.

Oh, and in the tabletop Potence is always on at no blood cost and is a flat addition to effective strength for the purposes of the above table. It gets pretty ridiculous. Caveat lector, though - this is oWoD and there is always a bigger fish. From seventh generation on down the maximum trait level starts rising at one point per generation. A sixth-generation vampire could have strength 7 and potence 7, at which point they're rolling out of bed in the evening with the ability to effortlessly bench-press Fat Larry's Truck of Mack.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Well, LaCroix certainly doesn't have a treaty with the Kuei-Jin now that he had his minion breach it! :v:
Except that the only witnesses are dead. :shrug:

mauman posted:

Eh....I'm not particularly a fan of "everybody is bi" in general. It cheapens characters in my opinion. This applies to the whole "all females are bi - except ones that belong to the creepy Italian family" thing too.
"Everyone is bisexual" is pretty dumb, but it's somewhat reasonable as a way to make sure all the content is available regardless of the player character's sex, but it's unusually common for it to only apply one way, women are bisexual, men are straight, and that's obviously done mostly to appeal to teenage boys rather than for the sake of making the player character's sex irrelevant.

IMJack posted:

I just assumed the Giovanni had another way to get the sarcophagus down there in the first place, and you use the same way to get it out. I don't see them carting the thing through the house, the lab, and the twisty trapped passages into that crypt. It's not like you would have known the sarcophagus was in the crypt so you wouldn't think to look for other ways in. Hell, you probably stole their truck.

Also assume the Chang brothers got in the same way and dealt with any physical security in their way.
I always assumed that the Changs brought the truck. They obviously came specifically for the sarcophagus, so it would make sense to have some way to transport it. It's kind of weird that the player character doesn't seem to have any plan for how to get it out of there and just happens to luck into finding a truck available.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Tiggum posted:

Except that the only witnesses are dead. :shrug:

I'm sure the Kuei-Jin's leader is intelligent enough to realize that when a very large and heavy delivery is made to LaCroix Tower and the minions she sent to retrieve the sarcophagus disappear, then LaCroix has probably betrayed the treaty.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm sure the Kuei-Jin's leader is intelligent enough to realize that when a very large and heavy delivery is made to LaCroix Tower and the minions she sent to retrieve the sarcophagus disappear, then LaCroix has probably betrayed the treaty.

Possibly? It's a secret treaty and she wasn't being very nice to it either, so it's one of those "well, I mean neither of us really intended to keep this anyway, but it's still a useful pretense at the moment so we'll just be coy and ignore this for now".

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

You can't just install snack machines in the middle of the business day, you see. For minimal business impact these things are best done at 3AM. In unmarked trucks. By armed employees.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

OAquinas posted:

You can't just install snack machines in the middle of the business day, you see. For minimal business impact these things are best done at 3AM. In unmarked trucks. By armed employees.

To be fair, you do have to fight off Officer Chunk. Those guards are earning their money.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

OAquinas posted:

Well no, you can't because the snack machine they'd install is the one to (allegedly) bring apocalypse :v:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Caught in the (snack) machine.

...I'll see myself out.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

queserasera posted:

...I'll see myself out.

The Officer Chunk story.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

double nine posted:

I'm just imagining the pc carrying the sarcophagus on one shoulder through the mansion, whistling innocently as they move past the guards. Nothing to see here folks.

This is clearly what a Malkavian PC does and nothing will convince me otherwise.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Omobono posted:

This is clearly what a Malkavian PC does and nothing will convince me otherwise.

Malkavians always do everything in the most awesome way, intentionally or no, so yes, I agree with this completely.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

queserasera posted:

...I'll see myself out.

Shugojin posted:

The Officer Chunk story.

If you were to saw off a Kindred's arm, would you need to reattach it? Or could it grow back without using something like Vicissitude?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

IMJack posted:

If you were to saw off a Kindred's arm, would you need to reattach it? Or could it grow back without using something like Vicissitude?

Depends.

If you're a low enough generation and can spend the blood fast enough to heal, your blood/vitae-drenched arm would reattach itself to you with a schlurping sound as the blood tendrils pull it back in to place.

If you're not high enough Gen to pull that off, you can either hold it in place and heal or (I think) wait for a new one to sprout out.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tehan posted:

To put all the cards on the table, you can pump it up one blood point per round and it starts ticking back down to 6 if it's above it at one point per round

I thought that one blood per round was dependent on the generation, with two blood at 9th, three blood at 8th, and five at 7th (to list only break points for generations available at character creation [dark ages for 7th])?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Malkavians always do everything in the most awesome way, intentionally or no, so yes, I agree with this completely.

They'd attach wheels, a bedsheet, and a desk fan to it, and "sail" out of the mansion screaming about the land-boat sarcophalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

IMJack posted:

If you can hold it in place, you can spend blood to reattach it. If it's destroyed somehow, it counts as aggravated damage and heals the same way.

• Locked thread