Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So what upgrades/tech should you have in the new career mode before attempting a stable manned orbit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

nimper posted:

It seems like there should be an "achievement" system that automatically gives certain rewards after certain milestones without having to worry about accepting contracts. The contracts system could then have the more specialized "OMG I NEED $$$" missions like part testing, surveying the Mohole, or putting a Class-E asteroid in a Molniya orbit around Jool.

I know there are achievement mods already but this makes sense to include in the base game for ease of gameplay.

Yes. Getting to orbit quickly should not punish you with less money.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Bootcha posted:

So what upgrades/tech should you have in the new career mode before attempting a stable manned orbit?

The first tech unlock for inline decouplers. With the weight and parts limit you should have just enough to get a stable orbit and come back down.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Jackson Taus posted:

So I just started playing again after not playing since before Contracts were a thing. I'm having issues getting the game to recognize the first couple contracts as completed. Like I'll shoot up over 5000m and it'll check off on the little app, but when I get back down and recover the craft, it winds up reverting somehow. Probably not the world's biggest hassle since I can "cheat" it completed (and I'll probably restart once more mods get updated) but does anyone know what causes it?

Has anyone seen this bug before? Like 3 times now I did the "achieve orbit" contract, landed safely, and when I hit recover vessel somehow reset - it recovered the ship as if it was on the landing pad and undid the entire flight.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

EightBit posted:

Install FAR and that thing will really cook :jeb::respek::getin:

Install Deadly Reentry and that thing will really burn.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bug report for contracts generation:

A 3.1 x 2.5Mm orbit at 10° is not "geosynchronous".

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

ToxicFrog posted:

Bug report for contracts generation:

A 3.1 x 2.5Mm orbit at 10° is not "geosynchronous".

Technically it is. Geosynch simply refers to the period being the same as the body's rotational period. Geostationary is what you're thinking about.

e: To expand on this, a Tundra orbit is a Geosynchronous orbit, despite being highly elliptical and very highly inclined, because it returns to the same place in the sky at the same time every day.

Geostationary is a special geosynchronous orbit that is also equatorial and circular, therefore hanging over the same spot in the sky at all times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geosynchronous_satellite

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 19, 2014

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Crossposting from the Spaceflight thread: Realtime view of Orion capsule reentry from inside the capsule. It's loving incredible, and also way more purple than I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtWzuZ6WZ8E

marumaru
May 20, 2013

nielsm posted:

Entering the VAB, SPH and tracking station scenes in general have some performance issues, very non-smooth.

I have to adjust the camera every time I get in the VAB/SPH or I'll get like 10FPS. After looking somewhere else I get ~30. There's something really weird going on.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I want to share with you all my first serious attempt at a Mun landing.

:rip:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I just stuffed my station into the Mun, killing Podmy Kerman. The game crashed to desktop almost instantly after impact. I reloaded, my failed mission has still happened, the game recognizes Podmy as KIA but he is also available for selection, despite respawns being turned off.

Podmy is clearly the chosen one, The Kraken has intervened directly to bring him back to Kerbin from Keaven.

e: I am stupid, it's Shepoly who died :downs:

Anyway, I just learned that you can change your program's logo by clicking on the flagpole in the main screen.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 19, 2014

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Here's a fun bug I think I just found (need to confirm it though): If you quicksave with a maneuver half-finished, when you reload, the maneuver will load as though you haven't started, so if you listen to the "delta-V remaining" tooltip, you'll end up burning a lot more than you intended.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Yes. Getting to orbit quickly should not punish you with less money.

Easiest fix would be to have just one Contracts available to start with, Achieve Orbit. If you launch without taking it, it shows a warning directing the player to Mission Control.

Achieve Orbit would gain sub-objectives "Launch a new Vessel", "Exceed 5km", "Exceed 11km", "Exceed 22km", ..., "Escape the Atmosphere" with the rewards for those corresponding contracts as they currently exist, finally completed by reaching orbit.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

eth0.n posted:

Easiest fix would be to have just one Contracts available to start with, Achieve Orbit. If you launch without taking it, it shows a warning directing the player to Mission Control.

Achieve Orbit would gain sub-objectives "Launch a new Vessel", "Exceed 5km", "Exceed 11km", "Exceed 22km", ..., "Escape the Atmosphere" with the rewards for those corresponding contracts as they currently exist, finally completed by reaching orbit.

Yes.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Technically it is. Geosynch simply refers to the period being the same as the body's rotational period. Geostationary is what you're thinking about.

e: To expand on this, a Tundra orbit is a Geosynchronous orbit, despite being highly elliptical and very highly inclined, because it returns to the same place in the sky at the same time every day.

Geostationary is a special geosynchronous orbit that is also equatorial and circular, therefore hanging over the same spot in the sky at all times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geosynchronous_satellite

Huh! I had no idea. Thank you for educating me. I always thought geosynchronous and geostationary were synonyms.

eth0.n posted:

This is a good idea.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

ToxicFrog posted:

I don't think OSX has a binloader for CLR executables. Try "mono ckan.exe" rather than running it directly.

That just gives me a stuck process that I have to force quit. So long have I waited for a proper way to manage mods for this game, and it's so close!

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

eth0.n posted:

I like this.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

Jackson Taus posted:

Has anyone seen this bug before? Like 3 times now I did the "achieve orbit" contract, landed safely, and when I hit recover vessel somehow reset - it recovered the ship as if it was on the landing pad and undid the entire flight.

My version was that the contract evaporated as soon as its 'victory conditions' were met, without giving me the reward.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Maxmaps, what's the preferred way to file bug reports against KSP itself? In Linux, keystrokes in text boxes are getting passed through the game proper, both in the stock game (which makes naming your ships in the VAB somewhat more exciting than it should be) and in GUIs added by mods (for example, RemoteTech is now pretty much unusable).

Luceo posted:

That just gives me a stuck process that I have to force quit. So long have I waited for a proper way to manage mods for this game, and it's so close!

With no arguments it'll bring up the GUI. Maybe that's broken? Try, say, "mono ckan.exe help".

(Disclaimer: I don't use OSX, I'm guessing based on my experiences with the Linux version.)

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

eth0.n posted:

Wow that's perfect!

On a related note, I think the contract screen shouldn't hide active contracts behind a tab, especially if we start adding automatically accepted contracts. Also when you view the KSC for the first time there should be a huge arrow pointing at the contracts building. It's not explained that you need to start here and I've seen many new players miss it completely.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Luneshot posted:

Crossposting from the Spaceflight thread: Realtime view of Orion capsule reentry from inside the capsule. It's loving incredible, and also way more purple than I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtWzuZ6WZ8E

I wonder what it would be like to witness this first-hand. It must be like being as scared as you've ever been in your life while also being rock-hard.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

ToxicFrog posted:

With no arguments it'll bring up the GUI. Maybe that's broken? Try, say, "mono ckan.exe help".

(Disclaimer: I don't use OSX, I'm guessing based on my experiences with the Linux version.)

This is getting me somewhere, thanks!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Something that only just occurred to me: why are the Hitchiker and 3-kerbal command pod so late in the tree? You can unlock the Mobile Lab before you even need to upgrade the science facility, which is presumably much more complicated, but if you want to send multiple Kerbals to space without either using labs as crew quarters or stacking a bunch of 1-kerbal pods on top of each other, nope.

E: speaking of tech trees, I have a OKS question. Can the Habitation Ring be used as a "normal" crew quarters without the Kerbitat? And if not, why is it available earlier in the tech tree given that it's useless without also unlocking the Kerbitat?

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 20, 2014

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

ToxicFrog posted:

Something that only just occurred to me: why are the Hitchiker and 3-kerbal command pod so late in the tree? You can unlock the Mobile Lab before you even need to upgrade the science facility, which is presumably much more complicated, but if you want to send multiple Kerbals to space without either using labs as crew quarters or stacking a bunch of 1-kerbal pods on top of each other, nope.
My guess is it's to keep it equivalent in tech to the Mainsail.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I am placing parts on the sloped side of my command pod. I saw in a video that you can offset this piece not just vertically, but along the angle of the slope, basically the direction its pointing. How is this done?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Press F.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Thank you sir.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

So yeah, that JATO idea worked. Firing the booster at the upper limit of the flight regime (10km) can push it up to 25-30km.

This is what happens when you try to improvise and use the parachutes to slow down when you're a few meters further away from touchdown than you thought.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I just discovered that quickload does not reset the position of celestial objects.
If I save with a ship somewhere, then go fly it somewhere else, fail massively and reload, the situation will be different. The solar system will have everything at different positions than when I saved it.

Has it always been this way?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

So Engineers can officially re-pack chutes now but I still seem to have issues with re-staging them, is there some way to do it that it works properly? or do I have to manually deploy.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

ToxicFrog posted:

Maxmaps, what's the preferred way to file bug reports against KSP itself? In Linux, keystrokes in text boxes are getting passed through the game proper, both in the stock game (which makes naming your ships in the VAB somewhat more exciting than it should be) and in GUIs added by mods (for example, RemoteTech is now pretty much unusable).

The text input thing is a major pain, yeah. It doesn't happen every time in the VAB, but does when I'm looking at a craft. It's fun inputting a precise dV value for MechJeb and having a decimal point cause it to time warp me past the maneuver. :v:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

RoverDude posted:

Oh... and SCANSat integration is done:

Does this mean I don't need to wait for SCANSat to update on CKAN to get SCANSat karbonite detection, or am I confused again? Is that bundled with your mod now?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I just spent all day doing a mission to Bop. I had the explore Bop contract and also put a station in orbit around Bop contract.

May as well do both in one go. This is my first draft of what I'm going to land on Bop with. I tweaked it a bit but you get the idea.

Away we go!

Burn to Jool.

I did some solar science on my way to Jool. This is the first time I've had anyone out of Kerbin SOI. Also the first time Bill or Bob have been in a rocket at all.

It took a while but we got to Jool. Time to get into an orbit.

We'll use aerobreaking for this.

Get some Jool atmospheric science while I'm here.

Okay that's good. Time to intercept Bop.

Here we are at Bop. Do a burn to get into orbit and do some science in orbit around Bop. This completes the one contract and half of the other.

Now it's time to land on Bop.

Looking good!

Touchdown!

Did some science on the surface. Completed the contracts. Also collected as much science as I could. Got some Bop rocks.
I also checked in with the KSC and they told me someone was willing to pay $288,000 if I planted a flag, so I did that as well.

Time to head home. Won't need my lander legs anymore.

Goodbye Jool.

Hello Kerbin! We sure are going fast.

Aerobreaking here is pretty intense.

But it worked! Now we'll get into a nice circular orbit.

Target the pad at the KSC.

More aerobreaking for the landing this time.

Looking good again.

Almost home. My ship doesn't have enough TWR to land like this.

So I landed like this. But that's good enough.

So what did we get?

Not bad for 6 years and 88 days.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

So what's the best way to make planets look pretty? I had EVE and Better Atmospheres installed on previous versions, but it doesn't look like they've been updated in quite some time. And apparently there's a way to save on memory that's better than Active Texture Management?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Roverdude: I was fiddling with the Sounding rockets (I'm a fan of the 0.625m stuff already so it's a naturally regression) and I get that you want people to do 4 launches for the science. No problem there but the part labeling or write up in the mod post could be clearer. Also do they return science at all the heights? For example do I launch low/high atmos then low/high orbital or is it just once over each biome?

I use FAR and it's quite amusing how much difference a little tilt change makes. Varying the thrust limiter fine tunes the launch angle nicely too.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

dublish posted:

So what's the best way to make planets look pretty? I had EVE and Better Atmospheres installed on previous versions, but it doesn't look like they've been updated in quite some time. And apparently there's a way to save on memory that's better than Active Texture Management?

EVE is still king, the main version is a bit stagnant since he is developing a complete overhaul (which he has a beta for and it is looking pretty sweet but visual glitches Ahooyyy)

Also get the astronomer pack, id suggest oblivion rather than interstellar, interstellar seems to have color and layering issues when ATM is turned on, I'm sure he will patch it up later.

Side note, .90 has encouraged me to build tiny.

awesome IVA on this pod by the way.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

dublish posted:

EVE + the Astronomer Pack are my current prettification favorites, but it's incredibly resource-intensive and can cause some significant FPS drop if you try to tweak the settings too high. Looks super-awesome, though, particularly the Duna dust storms and the city lights on Kerbin's night side.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

How much dv does an MMU have? My unmanned rescue vehicle to the Mun is having a bad time with an eclipse and Jeb may have to match orbits with it by hand.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Spaceman Future! posted:

Side note, .90 has encouraged me to build tiny.

This is secretly the best part of .90. I've been constantly surprised by how much you can do with so few parts and it's really made my designs a shitton better and cheaper, both of which are pretty drat important since I'm playing on hard.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I'm enjoying working out how to do space station contracts with a 140 ton launch limit, makes things interesting.

The tech tree definitely needs a bit of re-arranging but I like having the later parts gated behind the R&D centre upgrades assuming it does get some tweaks.