Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

School is out for the season and I've run out of parts for my truck. I'm bored out of my mind and have nothing to do. I need something to do, this boredom is killing me.

E:aww hell, new page. Uhh.... here, look at my successful bolt extraction. And am I allowed to brag about such a minor feat and for how long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Dear people with absurdly bright HID headlights and people that drive around with their high beams on all the time,

I hope a brick comes through your windshield at high speed.

Signed,
Everyone else on the road.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

iForge posted:

Dear people with absurdly bright HID headlights and people that drive around with their high beams on all the time,

Signed,

This one weird trick I use that maxes out my charging system and puts SUVs with HIDs in the ditch every time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Welp managed to go over my credit limit for the first time ever, resulting in a phone call to my house that of course my mom picked up since she has the only house phone in her room.

loving humiliating, time to spam job applications rapid-style.

gently caress

e: have enough in checking to pay the charge but still. for gently caress'S sake.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Apparently Alfa's are not the best beach cars....

90 mile beach in NZ. Really was not intending to drive on the beach, but the road just kinda ended without much warning and then I was high centered. Luckily there were some very nice locals who pulled me onto the firm sand and suggested that I drive to the next town where there was a better ramp off the beach. So we cruised down the beach at ~80kmh to the next ramp. As I stop to inspect the best route, I watch a rental hatchback do the exact same thing I did. Luckily we were able to just push him back a couple feet and he was set. Found the least rutted path and hit it at 60kmh and made it off the beach.

Last couple days have been beautiful, but today is overcast and rainy. At least it gives us a day to be lazy and watch tv without feeling guilty about wasting our time.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

iForge posted:

Signed,

There is a man who gleefully drives around my neighborhood in his Ford F250 with his bumper mounted 2' long LED bar fully illuminated to marijuana cultivation levels.

This is North Minneapolis.

Thanks guy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Can somebody recommend a good cheap android tablet? I almost scored a cheap as hell iPad but I'm thinking I probably don't want an apple product anyway. Just a dependable android with a decent amount of space for lots of music and the Torque app pretty much.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

leica posted:

Can somebody recommend a good cheap android tablet? I almost scored a cheap as hell iPad but I'm thinking I probably don't want an apple product anyway. Just a dependable android with a decent amount of space for lots of music and the Torque app pretty much.

Does it have to be new? You can probably find a used or refurb Nexus 7 or 10 for not very much money.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MrChips posted:

Does it have to be new? You can probably find a used or refurb Nexus 7 or 10 for not very much money.

No, as long as it works like it's supposed to. I just don't want to deal with any reliability issues, quirks, or lovely battery life, stuff like that.

Looks like Lenovo tablets have really good reviews.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
My dad has a galaxy tab and loves it. He got it for $150ish during the pre black Friday sales. He had a nexus before that and loved it too.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Man, never got the Molly. Begining to think she was all talk. I forgot my Xanax script got renewed today. Took a bar, blazed an L and poured myself a gin and juice on ice. I gave a roomie a half bar for his first time and he fell asleep 20 minutes later, haha. That's why I slammed a blue Monster first! Good thing I remembered to buy a pack of peanut M&M's before hand!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else got some tattoos?

I found a way to make myself feel better. I just booked an appointment for a piece that involves 4 hours of blackwork fill in my right ditch.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I got a tattoo of my dog wearing a fitted hat this summer. I wanna get an American Traditional Valkyrie chick to go on the same leg next.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's something wrong with something I touched at work, it isn't a reliable failure which is frustrating. I'm taking a vacation day on Monday. I remembered I had some double IPA in the fridge about an hour ago. I have a brunch date on Sunday.

I can't stop listening to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXD0vv-ds8&t=37s

I'm ready to work on the Lexus again. :/

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
went to bar with co workers, they tried to sacrifice me to a pack of hungry cougars

i avoided getting entangled luckily

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So, Cars and Coffee Irvine is dead. What a bunch of bullshit.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Finally got home, the noisiest place on earth (MCAS Miramar), they can keep that poo poo. Then my car wouldn't start in thew work parking lot. Then my mother, bless her soul, who was watching my cats, forgot today was the day I was coming home and didn't leave the keys under the mat.

Thank god I have kitty loves (swarmed by animals 10 minutes after getting home, yay!) and it's DnD day tomorrow.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Got invited to a company party tonight (not my companies) and ate/drank all I could from the open bar. It was awesome. The rest of the day sucked, my boss did not even say goodbye/happy holidays when he left early. I can't wait to leave this place.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

rscott posted:

went to bar with co workers, they tried to sacrifice me to a pack of hungry cougars

You are sir are missing out on cheap meaningless sex. They don't want to date you... Only to make their middle aged life exciting.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Funny, I just finished listening to that album.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I dunno, 2014 is going to end on a high note for me. I'm just happy I started on a project a couple decades in the making today. Tomorrow I fly home to Oregon to see my family and end the week at the beach. This is the cabin we rent every new years (the partial A-frame to the right).

Ten years ago:

Last year:

Last year was the first year there was sand in the winter, (and it was sunny and in the high 50's, very strange). It's like the sand migrates, it's always sandy in the summer but in the winter it's usually rocks like the first picture. Regardless of weather, we always have a great time. Stormy is just as nice as sunny when it's what you expect, and you all crowd around a warm fire and let the surf lull you to sleep.

Cheers, AI.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Anyone else got some tattoos?

I found a way to make myself feel better. I just booked an appointment for a piece that involves 4 hours of blackwork fill in my right ditch.

I've got a bunch of tattoos and most of them have happened after breakups. I was going to get another one today, but I'm still recovering from having surgery on Wednesday and my body decided it would rather stay in bed all day.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I've been a big fan of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson for a few years. Tonight was his last show.

The opening was pretty drat epic (especially that short clip with Betty White). The ending... was a serious loving letdown. I was hoping for at least a "Goodnight forever everybody" or "Thanks for all the fish". He's taken the loss of the show really well though; I really hope he winds up back on late night TV again. Plus I have a rager for his gay robot.

Goddamnit. Two cars in the house need work.

Avalon's battery yesterday decided to go from fully charged to "starter solenoid just rapidly clicks" in 5 minutes. Got there in less than 10 minutes - battery was low enough that whatever solenoid holds the key in wouldn't release it from the ignition, and the headlights just flat out wouldn't turn off no matter what position the switch was in. Jumped easily, now it's holding a charge fine and everything works as normal. 3 places all say the battery is showing its age, but still putting out over 600 amps according to 3 shops. Radio, MPG computer, clock, etc all lost their settings.

Noticed a bubble in the Avalon's front right tire today. Then looked at all the other tires. 3 tires are Goodyears, all the same model (Viva 2), but all with different dates (all 2010, but different weeks) and a good amount of dryrot, all almost to the wear bars, one shows signs of the tread starting to separate. One is a newish (1 year old going by the sidewall date) Douglas that has plenty of tread. Stepdad had a blowout "going over a speed bump" in the Avalon several months ago, blew the right rear. Since the right front has a bubble, I suspect "speed bump" means "nailed a curb with both right wheels". The only place I've been able to find the same Douglas tire is Wal-Mart, and it's $77/ea there, so it looks like it gets to have 1 mismatched tire. The rear brakes are nearly to the backing pads too, so I'll be tackling that this weekend.

My car spat another CEL today - same one for the thermostat. Thermostat works sometimes, sometimes it sticks open a bit further than it should. My own battery seems to be on its last legs, the dash gives a Christmas tree effect when cranking occasionally and the seat belt chime goes "ding.. dididididididiDIDIDINGDINGDINGding..ding..ding.." while cranking now, and it's definitely turning over slower. At least I have new tires and a fresh state inspection, so I'm only looking at a battery fairly soon, and a thermostat sometime in the next couple of months (for now I just cover part of the radiator to get it up to temp).

The Avalon needs its state inspection in March; mom is waiting for her bankruptcy to be discharged, and has nothing to her name except the car and what's in the house (and can't really get a job before then; not that she'd be able to easily, she's 66 and has difficulty getting around). So it's probably going to get the same lovely tires my car has (Ohtsu - $57/ea in the 215/60R16 size the Avalon takes; my Ion has them in 205/60R16), and cross our fingers that the battery craps out before the 3 year free replacement warranty expires in a few months.

Humorous part of my day: I thought I was supposed to open today. So I walk in the door at 10:55am. Boss asks "Why are you here, did you switch with someone?"
Me: "No... why?"
Boss: "You're supposed to be here at 4"
Me: "gently caress... for some reason I thought it was Saturday" :doh:
Boss: "gently caress it, you're welcome to stay a couple of hours, I already have 5 orders waiting to go out and <generic name> hasn't shown up yet. I'm not worried about overtime this week, since half of the store is out of town".
Wound up working lunch shift.. taking mom to lunch.. going back to close... have to open tomorrow, and I can't loving sleep.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 20, 2014

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Today I learned the DC PD own a Zimmer.

So there is a dude that just cruises around in my neighborhood with one of those, just going up and down the main road all day long. I've been wondering what the hell it was.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

So I've been a big fan of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson for a few years. Tonight was his last show.

The opening was pretty drat epic (especially that short clip with Betty White). The ending... was a serious loving letdown. I was hoping for at least a "Goodnight forever everybody" or "Thanks for all the fish". He's taken the loss of the show really well though; I really hope he winds up back on late night TV again. Plus I have a rager for his gay robot.

Colbert had his last show on Thursday. I watched it earlier today.I loved it when he had everyone singing "We'll Meet Again" and I teared up a little when I read why he chose "Holland 1945" by Neutral Milk Hotel to close the show.

http://gawker.com/why-stephen-colbert-closed-his-final-show-with-holland-1673218182

I went to a Cavs game with my dad tonight. He wanted to go to a game where Lebron was playing. I'm not a huge basketball fan but we both had a blast and we won!

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

So there is a dude that just cruises around in my neighborhood with one of those, just going up and down the main road all day long. I've been wondering what the hell it was.

Unmarked police cruiser?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh man, there's only 1 year until I turn 30, now. I guess I'd better start getting my poo poo in order or something?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh man, there's only 1 year until I turn 30, now. I guess I'd better start getting my poo poo in order or something?

Maybe, but who's definition of "in order" are you using?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

KozmoNaut posted:

I turn 30 in 3 days(4 if you go by seattle time, drat time travel of being in new zealand). Being an adult is overrated. At least I did the adult thing and proposed to my gf a couple weeks ago, after 5 years I figured it was about time. 2014 has been pretty good to me overall, I get to spend my birthday, christmas and my dads birthday/new years eve in NZ with the woman I love on the other side of the world with my family I rarely see(first time I have spent this time with my dad and stepmom in around 10 years) . Just gotta hope we get some more decent weather while we are down here.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Finally getting the recall done on my Slowbalt this morning. Should be all set by 5.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Got the recall notice for my E46 today, passenger airbags. I'm sure it'll be months before they've got them in stock but there's never a passenger in there anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whew, all is well with the kitty. He got meds and special food but he appears to be fine.

Friend who's wife got the box of hangars? The gifter has been suspended and it sounds like termination is likely. She's not happy with that and intends to sue whomever she can over the incident.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Glad your cat's okay, we've lost one this year and for a week or so thought we were going to lose the other.

Isn't it enough someone gets fired, does she really need to sue as well?

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

rscott posted:

Gonna agree with BrokenKnucklez here, at least mostly. Sometimes they do want to date you, and if you happen to actually have stuff in common, that can work too. It's working out alright for me right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cakefool posted:

Glad your cat's okay, we've lost one this year and for a week or so thought we were going to lose the other.

Well like I said in the original post, she's known for being a terrible person. Even her husband just wants to let it go. I'm guessing she's seeing an opportunity to get a free payday and quit her job.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Changed a rear bulb that was dead today and only broke one retaining clip

the only retaining clip

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Cakefool posted:

Someone gave her a box of hangers as a gift and thought it would be okay. I think she might be onto something with her hostile work environment claim.

If someone gave you a present which basically amounted to saying, "I want you and your unborn child to die a horrible, painful death," wouldn't you be kind of mad too?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

KozmoNaut posted:

Pffft. Anyone who tells you 30 is some magic year to have all your poo poo together is blowing smoke up your rear end. Adult life is just staggering from catastrophe to catastrophe, and trying to make it look good for the neighbors.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

goatse guy posted:

Someone gave her a box of hangers as a gift and thought it would be okay. I think she might be onto something with her hostile work environment claim.

If someone gave you a present which basically amounted to saying, "I want you and your unborn child to die a horrible, painful death," wouldn't you be kind of mad too?

the point of suing someone isn't that you're mad at them, it's to seek recompense for damages done to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Pffft. Anyone who tells you 30 is some magic year to have all your poo poo together is blowing smoke up your rear end. Adult life is just staggering from catastrophe to catastrophe, and trying to make it look good for the neighbors.

Ain't that the goddamn truth? I'm just trying to enjoy the ride now.

• Locked thread