Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

Except he was really cool and rad and this whole fight has been the first good thing Bleach has done in like years.

Edit: Up until the ending which sucked majorly.

Mask was only like a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Nilbop posted:

I'm sat here utterly stunned that any of you could be cheering for Squad Zero, and in particular the mad monk. He is so clearly being portrayed as the villain, and Juha's icing of him was cathartic as hell.

Those eyes though. They need to be fixed, they just look goofy.

To think that you think he is dead

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Guys, you're both right. Ywach is stupid and bad. Squad Zero is stupid and bad. Everything in Bleach is stupid and bad. By now, even Kenpachi.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We are all stupid and bad.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

We are all stupid and bad.

This will be written on my grave.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shinjobi posted:

Everything in Bleach is stupid and bad. By now, even Kenpachi.
He was doing fine until he got chumped out by Panty, She-Hulk, and Parasyte Girl.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Advice posted:

None of it still makes any goddamn sense. WHY can Ywach do this? At least the shinigami are magic sword ghosts serving an unknown master who may or may not be a major force in the universe but why are the established Human Archer Squad suddenly thousand year old ghosts serving a blind baby who for some reason was born like the second or third strongest being in existence for basically no reason? Give me SOMETHING. Tell me he's a secret double ghost from Pure Heaven sent to kill everyone or something. Not just "one day a blind baby was born and holy poo poo can he do some weird stuff".

Sorry to see Ichibe go, easily the best character the Manga has seen since Mask De Masculine. He was never even expressly smug, just confident in how powerful his god and society were. He didn't expect Blind Archer Baby to be Actual God, but there you go.

Did you get upset about Doflomingo's motivations and history in One Piece too because it wasn't explained until a couple hundred chapters later than his introduction?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was perfectly fine with Doflamingo's motivation of "I've always been mega evil and an rear end in a top hat since I was a baby" and I'm perfectly fine with Yhwach's just being "I'm just super strong." There's not enough "gently caress it, it's just this" in anime these days.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

I was perfectly fine with Doflamingo's motivation of "I've always been mega evil and an rear end in a top hat since I was a baby" and I'm perfectly fine with Yhwach's just being "I'm just super strong." There's not enough "gently caress it, it's just this" in anime these days.

Same, I just dunno why people are expecting more from Bleach. It's a weekly publication of fashion and coolness. It's shallow and flashy and I like it like that.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
As previously noted it's kind of cool that he finally said his name after beating someone who has the ability to take away names. These are my thoughts on this week's bleach chapter, thanks for reading.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sure, I wish crazy monk dude had dragged out his fight for a few more chapters, but getting exploded was a pretty metal way to die. And we all knew he was gonna die.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

FuturePastNow posted:

Sure, I wish crazy monk dude had dragged out his fight for a few more chapters, but getting exploded was a pretty metal way to die. And we all knew he was gonna die.

No we knew we was going to lose, he could have survived to um well I guess losing and living is the same as dying at this point.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

He was doing fine until he got chumped out by Panty, She-Hulk, and Parasyte Girl.

I'm sorry, he just got done fighting imagination guy. Did you fight imagination guy? No?

Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done :colbert:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Parrotine posted:

I'm sorry, he just got done fighting imagination guy. Did you fight imagination guy? No?

He probably isn't Kubo, who is the only person who should feel bad about that fight. It was likely Kenpachi's final fight, and it was against a child who turned out to be a brain in a jar.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Parrotine posted:

He Brock loving Sampson'd that fight, too.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

This is like the fifth chapter in a row of "Monk does something really cool, Yhwach isn't really affected by it." Monk exploding and Yhwach's power name are the first real development since the fight started. I love the Monk, but he was never going to win so all the cool no-sold techniques were hard to actually get invested in.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Serious Frolicking posted:

He probably isn't Kubo, who is the only person who should feel bad about that fight. It was likely Kenpachi's final fight, and it was against a child who turned out to be a brain in a jar.

It's not Kenpachi's final fight and if it is then killing a brain in a jar is pretty great.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

At least Gin was smart enough to run away before anyone could ghostmagic!heal him and managed to die with some dignity before the plot went full self-parody.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

No.44 posted:

At least Gin was smart enough to run away before anyone could ghostmagic!heal him and managed to die with some dignity before the plot went full self-parody.

Ah yes, dignity. *dies trying to kill the only person he ever tried to kill after abandoning his friends and lover without saying a word*

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

More like *dies because the author realized that having the main cast constantly recover from injuries which should be lethal has made death appear completely inconsequential*.

Gin was sacrificed so the Hinamori could live to be stabbed another day.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

No.44 posted:

More like *dies because the author realized that having the main cast constantly recover from injuries which should be lethal has made death appear completely inconsequential*.

Gin was sacrificed so the Hinamori could live to be stabbed another day.

It's only dangerous if it goes clean through your body. Otherwise it's a couple of minutes before it heals at most.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The spine was a good touch. Normally in shounen they get cleanly sliced with a splash of claret, as if to say "no biggie, let's get the magic superglue and patch you up!" It would be like if their guts came spilling out when they're stabbed; it's that extra detail that tells you they are completely and utterly hosed this time.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The spine was a good touch. Normally in shounen they get cleanly sliced with a splash of claret, as if to say "no biggie, let's get the magic superglue and patch you up!" It would be like if their guts came spilling out when they're stabbed; it's that extra detail that tells you they are completely and utterly hosed this time.

Yeah, I just got into Toriko recently and in the century soup arc one of the good guys punches out a dude's hip-bone, it's strangely visceral. You're so used to manga people just being big balloons of blood, it's really effective I think.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Stallion Cabana posted:

It's only dangerous if it goes clean through your body. Otherwise it's a couple of minutes before it heals at most.

I dunno Grandpa got diagonally slashed and that sure as gently caress killed the hell out of him

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The actual reason you know the Monk was hosed is because he is an irrelevant character who had zero chance of affecting the plot in any way.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Servaetes posted:

I dunno Grandpa got diagonally slashed and that sure as gently caress killed the hell out of him

Except he was still alive when his torso lunged out at Ywach. It was the barrage of quincy laser arrows that obliterated him.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Scyantific posted:

Except he was still alive when his torso lunged out at Ywach. It was the barrage of quincy laser arrows that obliterated him.

I thought it was that he was already dead but still grabbed Ywach's cloak but who knows. Sometimes the big slash kills dudes in this series. Exploding someone definitely puts them out though.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
reminder that aizen survived losing his torso and monk will too.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Servaetes posted:

For some reason this is really really appropriate: http://imgur.com/a/CuOqq

This was the best part of that link but it's really painful to watch a pretty decent idea executed so badly

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Wrist Watch posted:

This was the best part of that link but it's really painful to watch a pretty decent idea executed so badly

I kind of want a bleach manga abridged done like this now. Someone reduce bleach down to like 60-100 chapters total of self aware parody.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Beef Waifu posted:

You are really stupid if you think he's being portrayed as the villain.

The monk has been drawn as a madman this entire fight, and Juha has been coming up with responses to his attacks and overcoming them in a very pro-active manner.

And Juha is the most interesting character in this manga for ages. This fanbase is loving crazy petty sometimes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nilbop posted:

And Juha is the most interesting character in this manga for ages. This fanbase is loving crazy petty sometimes.

This is the most pot-calling-the-kettle-black thing I have seen in these thread yet and there's been so much of it.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Kenpachi's bankai will be him cutting through YWACH's bullshit

"I am Almighty"

"I don't care" *EFFORT CUT*

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Beef Waifu posted:

This is the most pot-calling-the-kettle-black thing I have seen in these thread yet and there's been so much of it.

That showed me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Can Ywach make a Kenpachi so strong he can kill even him?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nilbop posted:

That showed me.

I'm sorry, I don't play street matches.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Nilbop posted:

The monk has been drawn as a madman this entire fight, and Juha has been coming up with responses to his attacks and overcoming them in a very pro-active manner.

I'll agree Yhwach is a super interesting villain at least from a backstory/power standpoint and while he's got asspulls it's nowhere on par with Aizen. I don't read a whole lot of manga/watch anime but the evil Jesus angle is pretty neat. The superpower is kinda lame though.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 20, 2014

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Servaetes posted:

I'll agree Yhwach is a super interesting villain at least from a backstory/power standpoint and while he's got asspulls it's nowhere on par with Aizen. I don't read a whole lot of manga/watch anime but the evil Jesus angle is pretty neat. The superpower is kinda lame though.

I like that his motivations have been left pretty vague. Aside from the fight with Yamamoto he doesn't seem to be that hellbent on revenge.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Nilbop posted:

Pro-active responses? The guy was getting flung around like a ragdoll until suddenly the powers don't work on him anymore because for some reason he has the power to just stop it from working.

I mean all the fights in Bleach devolve into this because Kubo doesn't know how write a fight, but at least the winner always had at least a somewhat interesting way of overcoming the other guys ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Who was the last interesting character introduced anyway? There's been a couple of fun characters like Squad Zero, Mask and As Nodt, but I don't think i'd call them interesting. Same with the fullbringers, for interesting you'd have to go back to the Espada or something. Starrk had some sort of depth from what I remember.

• Locked thread