Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Ollie should stick Ras in with Slade and Boomerang for an Aussie actor party - devote an episode to the three of them having endless sparring montages, followed by an escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Lord Bude posted:

Ollie should stick Ras in with Slade and Boomerang for an Aussie actor party - devote an episode to the three of them having endless sparring montages, followed by an escape.

On the Mateship!

:australia:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rocksicles posted:

On the Mateship!

:australia:

Better yet, a between seasons mini series featuring those three escaping from the island.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Wait, if they put the them on an island and the island is there specifically for convicts, does that make them double Australians? (Tasmanians?)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would watch that in a heartbeat.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Xealot posted:

I think so, too. At most, Ollie might achieve some kind of symbolic victory, and make a point of not killing Ra's.

Ollie successfully killing Ra's is pretty much the least interesting possibility. I think I might have said this earlier in the thread, but it's true.

I think they could do something pretty interesting with Oliver suddenly being the head of the League of Assassins and trying to figure out how to use that power for something good, but that would be a pretty crazy direction for the show to go in.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

evenworse username posted:

I think they could do something pretty interesting with Oliver suddenly being the head of the League of Assassins and trying to figure out how to use that power for something good, but that would be a pretty crazy direction for the show to go in.screwing everything up.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Angel got better after they got Wolfram & Hart though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But that was an end game that basically destroyed all the characters' souls. I don't think that's the sort of thing you want to write yourself if you're hoping for years of success.

I think Ras is too interesting and big to kill off or stick in a prison. Slade was just one random psycho for all his stature. Ras is basically a king of a small country of killers. He's much more interesting as a recurring character with ambiguous morals and allegiance to Ollie.

I don't like the Evil Ollie stuff at all. I think it's a little hackey and too game changing. And the idea of Merlyn brainwashing Ollie to kill Thea makes no sense to me.

I still think the simplest answer is Katana's husband whose name I can never remember. Or maybe even Katana herself. He's basically the gun that got cleaned in the first act that you're waiting to be used. You still get all the grief and confusion that will happen when Nyssa tells Team Arrow he's dead (and they tell Thea), Ollie can be plenty messed up by resurrection without being someone's puppet, and Ras can just let it go because Ollie died once and he didn't kill Sara anyway.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/19/arrows-manu-bennett-joins-mtvs-shannara

Look's like we might we may end up getting little to no Slade beyond this season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God they're making a tv series version of Shannara? :gonk:

I loved that book when I was a kid but man it doesn't hold up too well at all.... then again, I never thought they could make a tv series based on the Green Arrow comic that I would watch regularly.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God they're making a tv series version of Shannara? :gonk:

I loved that book when I was a kid but man it doesn't hold up too well at all.... then again, I never thought they could make a tv series based on the Green Arrow comic that I would watch regularly.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/19/arrows-manu-bennett-joins-mtvs-shannara posted:

Shannara is based on Terry Brooks' book series of the same name. The story is set in our world, thousands of years after the destruction of our civilization. It tells the tale of the Shannara family, whose descendants are empowered with ancient magic and whose adventures continuously reshape the future of the world. The first season will be based on The Elfstones of Shannara, the second title in the series.

If a the book is set thousands of years into the future, but features "ancient" magic, wouldn't that mean the magic is from our present time?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

If a the book is set thousands of years into the future, but features "ancient" magic, wouldn't that mean the magic is from our present time?

They wield the power of the ipad with a solar charging case

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

They wield the power of the ipad with a solar charging case

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Where would the show be shot? Because if its still shot in Vancouver, couldn't that allow for them to have Bennet on the show every so often? BTW the fact that it involves the guys from smallville makes me think it will fail.And if it doesn't Kristen Kreuk has a great meal ticket.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 19, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Speaking of Manu Bennett...

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

TyrantWD posted:

Look's like we might we may end up getting little to no Slade beyond this season.

I don't expect it to last long. Certainly no longer than the 'Sword of Truth' TV series managed to last. There just isn't enough substance there to adapt into a long form series without becoming as derivative and pointless as the later books in the series. What next? Are we going to start seeing TV adaptations of Raymond E. Feist or David Eddings books? If anything, I'd rather see a producer tackle material from someone like Robin Hobb or Melanie Rawn.

Plus, Slade is too memorable of a character to be left out of the series for more than a season at a time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dumb question time: Did I just blink and miss the scene where Slade's old partner on the island got killed? He was the top henchman for several episodes and then as far as I can tell he was just gone, but I don't recall ever seeing him get killed.

We never saw his face so it's not like it would matter who the actor was, so it seems strange to me that he'd just disappear, and I figure I must have somehow missed the scene showing what happened to him.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Dumb question time: Did I just blink and miss the scene where Slade's old partner on the island got killed? He was the top henchman for several episodes and then as far as I can tell he was just gone, but I don't recall ever seeing him get killed.

We never saw his face so it's not like it would matter who the actor was, so it seems strange to me that he'd just disappear, and I figure I must have somehow missed the scene showing what happened to him.

For sure he's killed. I think Slade kills him saving Oliver.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Shannara show is being produced by the Smallville creators.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fair enough, obviously I must have been distracted or stepped out of the room or something when it happened. I just remember noticing at some point the guy wasn't around anymore and being confused by it.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Here's a screencap. Looks like it was in season 1 episode 14, The Odyssey.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Aphrodite posted:

The Shannara show is being produced by the Smallville creators.

No magic powers or using the words druid or elfstones till season 10

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Bennet was made to CHOOOOOOSE and he chose the poo poo book series :(

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Bad Moon posted:

Bennet was made to CHOOOOOOSE and he chose the poo poo book series :(

So there would be no way for them to still have him as a occasional guest? (Once a season)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm sure they probably could. There's plenty of actors on multiple shows at once. It just depends on when the availability is necessary, but I'm sure they could probably plan well enough to make it happen if they wanted to.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

TyrantWD posted:

Nooooooooo.

Yesssssssssss.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Crowsbeak posted:

So there would be no way for them to still have him as a occasional guest? (Once a season)

The problem is I want Bennet to Slade it up way more than once a season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Slade shouldn't be around all the time. I love him but if Arrow was bouncing with Slade and Merlyn and Ra's all the time it would get silly. Slade's special so if he disappears for awhile I'm fine with it. The longer he's away the more amazingly complicated I expect his plot to destroy Ollie to be when he comes back. And I have faith that Arrow will last longer than that show so as long as they don't kill him off we're all good.

And hey, we're about to get a fix for that too! I love comics.

Jerusalem posted:

Slade kills Wintergreen when he rescues Ollie from the bad dudes after Ollie goes back to try and save Yao. If I'm remembering it right the bad guy tells Ollie and Yao to fight to the death or else he'll kill Shado. Than Slade shows up, kills Wintergreen, and they escape with Shado.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

I'm sure they probably could. There's plenty of actors on multiple shows at once. It just depends on when the availability is necessary, but I'm sure they could probably plan well enough to make it happen if they wanted to.

As long as I get to see him once or twice a season I am fine. Maybe so they can actually shoot in snow so often they'll film Shanarra up in Vancouver.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dave Angel posted:

Here's a screencap. Looks like it was in season 1 episode 14, The Odyssey.

Thanks guys, this is pretty drat explicit and makes me feel even sillier for having missed it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Stephen did another Q&A and answered a couple of relevant questions:

Shooting Slade with an arrow is more humane than letting him starve, so since Oliver didn't want to kill Slade, he's getting fed by someone (probably ARGUS) and who/how will likely be answered at some point.

Stephen suggested doing the fight with Ra's shirtless so he could keep his stunt double from doing any of it and Ra's and Batman fighting shirtless on a mountain is an iconic scene that they wanted to honor. The producers actually said they could wear shirts, but Stephen was already scarred and tattooed up.

Stephen also made a post clarifying that the picture we saw earlier was fanmade and the idea that they'd make a cliffhanger like that and reveal the solution to said cliffhanger a few days later is ludicrous.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Some Numbers posted:

Shooting Slade with an arrow is more humane than letting him starve

"I won't kill you, but I don't have to feed you."

Sounds perfectly logical to me.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Stephen also made a post clarifying that the picture we saw earlier was fanmade and the idea that they'd make a cliffhanger like that and reveal the solution to said cliffhanger a few days later is ludicrous.

Master of deception.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Eddain posted:

Master of deception.

So CLEARLY I cannot choose the photoshop in front of me.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Bruceski posted:

So CLEARLY I cannot choose the photoshop in front of me.

Luckily, I spent the last two seasons building up an immunity to fan speculation.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

One of the classic blunders, investing in an island prison in Asia.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

Roger Cross (Quentin's former partner) was a regular on three series in one year and managed to cameo in at least 4 others. I have no doubts that Slade will be back.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

Allanon isn't in the books all that frequently. He's a big deal, but he's basically a deus ex so he can't show up too often. I think. It's been a while since I read those and they really didn't hold up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Dave Angel posted:

One of the classic blunders, investing in an island prison in Asia.

But also, never go in against an Aussie when death is on the line.

• Locked thread