Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I just use my ipad as a comic reading machine. If you aren't into comics, well nows the time to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

teraflame posted:

I just use my ipad as a comic reading machine. If you aren't into comics, well nows the time to do it.

The iPad is hands down the best comic reader. I wish I'd gotten 128GB though so I could just carry around my whole collection.

Maybe when I upgrade it next year.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Couldn't you use your comic collection on iCloud?

I finally got to open mine up last night and play around with it, it seems really nice. Setup process was overly long though. I took the approach to just saying yes and signing up for anything they asked me to, except Apple Pay because my credit union isn't a member, and I probably won't be carrying this around much outside the home anyway.

Everything looks amazing on the screen. I don't really like the way the icons look or are arranged or the way folders look though, and i cant move them where I want, it just shifts everything around.. I think setup should have had more instructions about how to do certain things, it isn't as intuitive as they think. Like, they could have explained the gestures and which ui elements you need to longpress to do things.

I checked the apple store when it came to cases, one was $80 and the other $30, both Apple. I think one was just a cover, but if neither offers protection in a fall what's the point of a case vs a smart cover? They both folded over as stands and had the magnetic unlock.

Is SafeApple+ or whatever the extended warranty and accident replacement plan something you have to sign up for at purchase or is it something I can still get? Since I won this I didn't have the opportunity to purchase protection with it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

Couldn't you use your comic collection on iCloud?

I finally got to open mine up last night and play around with it, it seems really nice. Setup process was overly long though. I took the approach to just saying yes and signing up for anything they asked me to, except Apple Pay because my credit union isn't a member, and I probably won't be carrying this around much outside the home anyway.

Everything looks amazing on the screen. I don't really like the way the icons look or are arranged or the way folders look though, and i cant move them where I want, it just shifts everything around.. I think setup should have had more instructions about how to do certain things, it isn't as intuitive as they think. Like, they could have explained the gestures and which ui elements you need to longpress to do things.

I checked the apple store when it came to cases, one was $80 and the other $30, both Apple. I think one was just a cover, but if neither offers protection in a fall what's the point of a case vs a smart cover? They both folded over as stands and had the magnetic unlock.

Is SafeApple+ or whatever the extended warranty and accident replacement plan something you have to sign up for at purchase or is it something I can still get? Since I won this I didn't have the opportunity to purchase protection with it.

iCloud tops out at 5gb for free and downloads the stuff to your device anyway. It's like Dropbox or google drive instead of some kind of FTP or streaming service like it sounds like you're imagining.

Try the tips app for... Tips on how to use the ui.

Check wirecutter for some cases if you want them. They basically aggregate popular reviews and give you different options and a best pick as well.

AppleCare is the extended warranty/insurance. Like any warranty program for any small product, it's a bad bet for most consumers but will probably make you feel less antsy about causing accidental damage so you have to figure out if you want it. You can buy it at any time in the first year of owning the iPad. Personally, I'd say just save up for the repair cost and if you need it, spend that money.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

tuyop posted:

iCloud tops out at 5gb for free and downloads the stuff to your device anyway. It's like Dropbox or google drive instead of some kind of FTP or streaming service like it sounds like you're imagining.

Try the tips app for... Tips on how to use the ui.

Check wirecutter for some cases if you want them. They basically aggregate popular reviews and give you different options and a best pick as well.

AppleCare is the extended warranty/insurance. Like any warranty program for any small product, it's a bad bet for most consumers but will probably make you feel less antsy about causing accidental damage so you have to figure out if you want it. You can buy it at any time in the first year of owning the iPad. Personally, I'd say just save up for the repair cost and if you need it, spend that money.

AppleCare is not a bad bet for most consumers

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well I've never owned a tablet bit every tablet I've ever seen in the wild has just been extremely beat to poo poo by whoever owned it or their kids, so I figured it may be something of a necessity. Plus in have a 18 month old who can reach god drat everything.

But you're still right about warranties, I'm probably better off without.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

greatn posted:

Well I've never owned a tablet bit every tablet I've ever seen in the wild has just been extremely beat to poo poo by whoever owned it or their kids, so I figured it may be something of a necessity. Plus in have a 18 month old who can reach god drat everything.

But you're still right about warranties, I'm probably better off without.
I sure as hell don't coddle my tablet and it's still in pristine condition with a cheap £8 case from Amazon. I have no idea how people I see on the street have their phones and tablets smashed to poo poo on a regular basis.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

AppleCare is not a bad bet for most consumers

Extended warranties are to be avoided. CR excludes AppleCare from its recommendation against, mostly for extended phone support which, lol, who uses? But it's not like everyone agrees.

There are some people who can really benefit from AppleCare. But the only reason it works is that most people don't. It's an insurance plan and insurance only works when a minority of people who pay premiums claim benefits. For a device that costs like eight hours of work, it's probably not in your best interest to subsidize the minority because a loss will not incur much cost for you, unlike house, car, or health insurance where the cost of loss makes the lopsided odds of benefit more worthwhile.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe you get $600 for eight hours work! Its a bit closer to 24 hours myself.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In general, extended warranties are not really needed, but AppleCare+ does offer accidental damage coverage (with a deductible), which can be useful to have. Not to mention you can actually take stuff to the Apple Store and get it fixed or replaced that day rather than having to do it by mail/phone.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Endless Mike posted:

In general, extended warranties are not really needed, but AppleCare+ does offer accidental damage coverage (with a deductible), which can be useful to have. Not to mention you can actually take stuff to the Apple Store and get it fixed or replaced that day rather than having to do it by mail/phone.

Also if you don't have a store around with Applecare plus they will cross ship you the item, if you don't have plus you have to pay $30 for the privilege I think.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I buy Applecare for my parents. They suck at gadgets and it gives them peace of mind. I wouldn't get it for myself.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
At least with the iPad since it's not easily replaceable anyways, the only thing it's really good for if you're not a careless oaf is if you're hard on your battery and manage to kill it in less than 2 years.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I did end up getting Applecare and a nice screen protector, which I couldn't believe his easy of was to apply. Easier than any device I've ever had.

On cases though, I'm torn between the official Apple Smart Case and the CaseCrown Omni. The latter seems to have all the features of the former and be less than half the price, but I guess is heavier and slightly cheaper materials? The amazon reviews are kind of all over the place, does anyone have experience with it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

I did end up getting Applecare and a nice screen protector, which I couldn't believe his easy of was to apply. Easier than any device I've ever had.

On cases though, I'm torn between the official Apple Smart Case and the CaseCrown Omni. The latter seems to have all the features of the former and be less than half the price, but I guess is heavier and slightly cheaper materials? The amazon reviews are kind of all over the place, does anyone have experience with it?

Looks like it's the runner up on wirecutter, probably a safe bet!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah that where I'd read about it initially. Ended up ordering one, hope it arrives by Christmas since I'm driving cross country right after.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

My dad and I are going to be picking up an Air 2 for my mom for Christmas. I take it there's pretty much no difference between buying it at an Apple Store or a Best Buy or wherever. Is this true, or is there any reason to actually buy it at an Apple Store over anywhere else?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's no difference. Buy it at Costco for $25 off if yours has it in stock.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Volfogg posted:

My dad and I are going to be picking up an Air 2 for my mom for Christmas. I take it there's pretty much no difference between buying it at an Apple Store or a Best Buy or wherever. Is this true, or is there any reason to actually buy it at an Apple Store over anywhere else?

If you order from the Apple website you can get custom engraving on the back. At a retail store, no real difference.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There's no difference. Buy it at Costco for $25 off if yours has it in stock.

IIRC, Costco adds an extra 1-year extension on the warranty (a consolation to excluding electronics on their famous unlimited return policy), so you've got that going for you too versus AppleCare.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Feh. Recently-bought iPad Mini 3, just regular warranty no AppleCare. Screen is shattered. I'm looking at like $299 for Apple to repair it, yeah?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

smr posted:

Feh. Recently-bought iPad Mini 3, just regular warranty no AppleCare. Screen is shattered. I'm looking at like $299 for Apple to repair it, yeah?

Yup. But check with your credit card company, you may get some amount of free accidental damage coverage that could reimburse you. Many card companies give you 90 days coverage complimentary.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

smr posted:

Paging the guy who said Apple care is not worth it

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

I don't know where he is but I bet he'd say that having to pay the full repair price once doesn't automatically make it worth it. Maybe smr has bought several iPads and this is the first one that's broken. Buying applecare+ for all of them could easily cost more in the long run than occasionally paying full price for a repair.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

A person could have retroactively benefited from AppleCare!

Everybody, get AppleCare!

Next time, save up for device replacement or an emergency fund if you need it for work or something. $300 should not ruin your life, but neither should a broken iPad so :shrug:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

fr3lm0 posted:

I don't know where he is but I bet he'd say that having to pay the full repair price once doesn't automatically make it worth it. Maybe smr has bought several iPads and this is the first one that's broken. Buying applecare+ for all of them could easily cost more in the long run than occasionally paying full price for a repair.

This.

Even if I submerged my phone tomorrow I'd still be ahead in the long term.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Unboxed my new iPad Air 2, played a video and felt it vibrate, thought of this thread immediately and laughed :)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Anybody compare games like XCOM on the iPad Air versus the iPad Air 2?

I'm wondering if it runs any smoother...

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

Anybody compare games like XCOM on the iPad Air versus the iPad Air 2?

I'm wondering if it runs any smoother...

Tested.com did. It makes a difference.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

fr3lm0 posted:

Yeah, to be fair, this is like my 7th iPad across the family and the first one to take a dive so I'm not even mad about it, just want to know what it's gonna hurt me to get it back in one piece.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

So in two days, I will most likely be seeing an iPad Mini in my hands, and it got me thinking about how little I know about what the iPad can do these days. Among a few of the new things I saw was the Air Display, which would be great for docking my iPad up next to my desktop, but my real interest is in recording. My band has been working with a home studio centered around Macbooks running Logic Pro X and I have always wanted to be able to record certain things of my own in my off time and bring it into the studio to be added in. But, alas, the PC can not only not run anything Logic-related, it cannot produce any of the filetypes necessary for any compatibility. I've seen that there is a remote app for Logic Pro X that runs on the iPad, but that seems to be more of a touch control interface. Is there any way for me to record to the iPad in a way where I can transfer the files into Logic Pro at the studio?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jeff Goldblum posted:

So in two days, I will most likely be seeing an iPad Mini in my hands, and it got me thinking about how little I know about what the iPad can do these days. Among a few of the new things I saw was the Air Display, which would be great for docking my iPad up next to my desktop, but my real interest is in recording. My band has been working with a home studio centered around Macbooks running Logic Pro X and I have always wanted to be able to record certain things of my own in my off time and bring it into the studio to be added in. But, alas, the PC can not only not run anything Logic-related, it cannot produce any of the filetypes necessary for any compatibility. I've seen that there is a remote app for Logic Pro X that runs on the iPad, but that seems to be more of a touch control interface. Is there any way for me to record to the iPad in a way where I can transfer the files into Logic Pro at the studio?

I'm pretty sure you can do this with GarageBand. You'll just have to dump from the iPad to the laptop and hit export to logic in the OS X GarageBand and it'll Just Work.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks! I'll take a look at their video.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I fouind the video if anyone cares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umQDc0wPsGg

Game comparison takes place around the 13 minute mark

Clint Howard
Jul 16, 2006

by zen death robot
I'm thinking of upgrading to an Air 2 from a Mini Retina 2. Does the increase in RAM in the Air 2 have a noticeable effect on the reloading of pages in Safari? That's my only real annoyance with the iPad, and I would think that doubling the RAM would improve the situation somewhat. Sorry if this is something that was discussed endlessly earlier in the thread.

Clint Howard fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 28, 2014

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Clint Howard posted:

Does the increase in RAM in the Air 2 have a noticeable effect on the reloading of pages in Safari?

Yes, very.

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.
I upgraded from a 1st Gen iPad to an Air 2 and holy poo poo. This thing is MAGIC.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What the gently caress is wrong with my iPad Mini (1st Gen) that I plug it into my mac/iTunes to sync (only way to get VLC on there since it was pulled) and it shows 4 pages of apps when I have like 2 pages. My option for VLC is basically to remove it (even though it's not there...) I just want to sync this one app (VLC) but if I try that it tries to install 157 apps.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Feenix posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with my iPad Mini (1st Gen) that I plug it into my mac/iTunes to sync (only way to get VLC on there since it was pulled) and it shows 4 pages of apps when I have like 2 pages. My option for VLC is basically to remove it (even though it's not there...) I just want to sync this one app (VLC) but if I try that it tries to install 157 apps.

It's got everything you've ever synced from any iOS device. You should be able to just delete them from iTunes before syncing. I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've had the Air 2 for about a month now, and I still hate the fact there is no mute switch anymore.