Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't own a microwave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I don't own a microwave

a good decision, microwaves are for when you want to ruin food, not cook

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Bats don't lay eggs, Rahm.

Torah is not always scientifically accurate. Bat eggs, were you to find some, are not kosher.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Torah is not always scientifically accurate. Bat eggs, were you to find some, are not kosher.

Oh! ביצים! That means bat testicles, Rahm. Yeah, I can see how they wouldn't be kosher; if they were, though, they'd be meat, not parve.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Every piece of Chicago food posted thus far, excepting the explicitly non-Chicago-nationality foods, look 100% inedible. Oh and excepting the chicken + waffles.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I don't own a microwave
Same. It's a disciplinary measure. The only thing I miss - like the only single thing - is popcorn, which you can do quickly here out of a bag in a microwave. Otherwise it fucks up anything it cooks. I love people who eat chicken re-heated in a microwave. Tastes like loving death thanks to the molecular structure of the meat.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Every piece of Chicago food posted thus far, excepting the explicitly non-Chicago-nationality foods, look 100% inedible. Oh and excepting the chicken + waffles.
Chicago style dogs are awesome as are Italian beefs. Chicago's population should be launched into the sun along with Boston's, but that doesn't mean they don't have some good food.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ReindeerF posted:

Same. It's a disciplinary measure. The only thing I miss - like the only single thing - is popcorn, which you can do quickly here out of a bag in a microwave. Otherwise it fucks up anything it cooks. I love people who eat chicken re-heated in a microwave. Tastes like loving death thanks to the molecular structure of the meat.

While microwaves are the worse than most, I've never known any way to re-heat already-cooked poultry that doesn't make it taste weird, chicken in particular.

That said, microwaves do exist for at least one important reason: reheating yesterday's pizza you've just taken out of the fridge and don't, in this instance, want to just devour cold.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReindeerF posted:

The only thing I miss - like the only single thing - is popcorn, which you can do quickly here out of a bag in a microwave.

Get a Whirley Pop. Makes waaaay better popcorn than a microwave.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That said, microwaves do exist for at least one important reason: reheating yesterday's pizza you've just taken out of the fridge and don't, in this instance, want to just devour cold.

Pro tip: put a glass of water in the microwave with the pizza to keep the crust crisp. :chef:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh! ביצים! That means bat testicles, Rahm. Yeah, I can see how they wouldn't be kosher; if they were, though, they'd be meat, not parve.

Every man thinks himself a rebbi, few a shochet. Well, I'm here to tell you: In one hand I hold perfectly sharp blade with no nicks or unevenness, and the other, bat eggs. Pray I do not drop the perfectly sharp blade with no nicks or unevenness.

Then I'd have to bury it and buy a new one.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Every man thinks himself a rebbi, few a shochet. Well, I'm here to tell you: In one hand I hold perfectly sharp blade with no nicks or unevenness, and the other, bat eggs. Pray I do not drop the perfectly sharp blade with no nicks or unevenness.

Then I'd have to bury it and buy a new one.

You're no Jewrafat, Rahm.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I always wanted to be Jewish when I was a kid.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is why goons are obese

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Berke Negri posted:

I always wanted to be Jewish when I was a kid.

Well, I guess you had the masochism down already.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Shear Modulus posted:

What's everyone's favorite way to prepare eggs

Home made eggs benedict on a lazy Sunday morning. Most of the best meals occur on lazy Sunday mornings.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They're very different. The former is basically egg scrambled with various vegetables and seasoning, the latter includes sauseges, ham, a bunch of other stuff.

Whoa, what huevos rancheros are you eating? All it needs is a warm corn tortilla covered with some beans and an egg over easy topped with pico de gallo and maybe some avocado slices.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Whoa, what huevos rancheros are you eating? All it needs is a warm corn tortilla covered with some beans and an egg over easy topped with pico de gallo and maybe some avocado slices.

That's basically nothing like shakshuka, then.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
chilaquiles is a good way to eat eggs

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
gently caress all food in new England. gently caress all new England for that matter

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hmmm... yes.. yes...

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
clam chowder is actually good

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

People have, on multiple occasions, come up to me and started talking to me about issues of import to the local Jewish community. My fault for being pale with a beard and eating at a kosher deli a couple of times.

Is "mistaken for Jewish" a thing?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Aurubin posted:

People have, on multiple occasions, come up to me and started talking to me about issues of import to the local Jewish community. My fault for being pale with a beard and eating at a kosher deli a couple of times.

Is "mistaken for Jewish" a thing?

I got mistaken for Turkish once. I was hanging out with Turks and talking about Turkish food, I guess I have a similar look? :shrug:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Pro tip: put a glass of water in the microwave with the pizza to keep the crust crisp. :chef:

Try boiling a cup of water in the microwave. :getin:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

DemeaninDemon posted:

Try boiling a cup of water in the microwave. :getin:

Just put a wooden chop stick in the container, problem solved.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

What's everyone's favorite way to prepare eggs

Bat Eggs Benedict.

Poaching those fuckers is hell, but worth it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Protip: Churn your own butter from bat's milk and use that for the hollandaise sauce to get that extra layer of batty goodness.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Remember, bat milk is like honey, it's influenced by what the bat ate. Stick with mango eating fruit bats for sweet uses, bug eating Mastiff Bats (excellent amount of milk per bat) for savory, and vampire if you're cooking something non-traditional.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Man goons eat some weird poo poo

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Oooo eggchat. I usually saute a bunch of onions, mushrooms, and peppers if I have them then scramble 4 eggs into it all. Eat with tortilla chips, OJ, and the sauce of your choice. Coffee 15 min later.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Oh gently caress another movie from the team behind The Secret of Kells came out today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgbXWt8kM5Q

Secret of Kells was a good movie for people that like pretty animation and Irish poo poo, and this looks like a good addition to that canon.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Jagchosis posted:

Man goons eat some weird poo poo

Goons will eat pretty much anything. Silly goons! Don't they realize that all food comes from a can or box?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Goons will eat pretty much anything. Silly goons! Don't they realize that all food comes from a can or box?

Man I cook my own food but I do not churn milk I personally squirted out of a bats tit into butter, let alone know what half of the words in this thread mean whenever foodchat happens.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Jagchosis posted:

Man I cook my own food but I do not churn milk I personally squirted out of a bats tit into butter, let alone know what half of the words in this thread mean whenever foodchat happens.

Dude I wasn't being sarcastic.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And you've been to Italy, right? So this is an informed judgment you're making here?
They don't serve ice cream in Italy, they serve gelato. Ice cream is an American dish that comes in big waffle cones and is from the Midwest.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FactsAreUseless posted:

They don't serve ice cream in Italy, they serve gelato. Ice cream is an American dish that comes in big waffle cones and is from the Midwest.

He's Israeli, he doesn't know real ice cream

Gonna go to the family farm, milk some cows, add some rocksalt, crush a few blocks of lake ice, churn me some iced cream

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, and by the way, Chicago is full of Italians, so yeah, I have basically been to Italy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FactsAreUseless posted:

:italy:

My Imaginary GF posted:

He's Israeli, he doesn't know real ice cream

Gonna go to the family farm, milk some cows, add some rocksalt, crush a few blocks of lake ice, churn me some iced cream

I can spit in Tel Aviv and land a better ice cream parlor than you can find in most American metropolitan areas.

:colbert:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

how many of you are fat? be honest.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

R. Mute posted:

how many of you are fat? be honest.

Define fat. I have fat, but you can see my ribs and most of my abs are also visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

i'm basically a gym rat bat.

• Locked thread