Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Okay, been playing a while (The download took three goddamned days) and I really like the game, don't have any major performance issues. Got to Savage Coast day before yesterday. A few questions:

-I got 10 veteran fun bucks somehow, which is only enough for a weapon. Should I go for it, or save them on the off chance I buy more membership later and want a pet?
-Alternatively, I did good and got to level 10 in Pistols really quick (My secondary not so much). With a little more being carried in PVP, I can afford a QL10 pistol. Is that a good idea?
-If I do take a Veteran or QL10 pistol set, that seems like it'll overpower most of the Solomon Island drops and merchants, so what should I be spending all these sequins on?

e: Some general PVP advice would be nice, too. Not builds, but just what to do when there's 18 motherfuckers running all over the goddamn place firing lasers and fields and egg salad everywhere. Last time I kind of froze up and ran in circles spamming Killer Flow.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I have been thinking about trying an MMO again recently and this one looks pretty cool. Is there a way to demo it without plonking down thirty bucks? Is it accessible for someone getting into it so late?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The Dregs posted:

I have been thinking about trying an MMO again recently and this one looks pretty cool. Is there a way to demo it without plonking down thirty bucks? Is it accessible for someone getting into it so late?

there's a 7 day trial/demo key that people can try out.
the game is accessable off the bat.

use this key if you feel like it TQWF9Y2W5Q29Q64LQCXU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Thanks!

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Dareon posted:

Okay, been playing a while (The download took three goddamned days) and I really like the game, don't have any major performance issues. Got to Savage Coast day before yesterday. A few questions:

-I got 10 veteran fun bucks somehow, which is only enough for a weapon. Should I go for it, or save them on the off chance I buy more membership later and want a pet?
-Alternatively, I did good and got to level 10 in Pistols really quick (My secondary not so much). With a little more being carried in PVP, I can afford a QL10 pistol. Is that a good idea?
-If I do take a Veteran or QL10 pistol set, that seems like it'll overpower most of the Solomon Island drops and merchants, so what should I be spending all these sequins on?

e: Some general PVP advice would be nice, too. Not builds, but just what to do when there's 18 motherfuckers running all over the goddamn place firing lasers and fields and egg salad everywhere. Last time I kind of froze up and ran in circles spamming Killer Flow.

Save your Vet Funbux for the Reconstructor, it is an item that has an hour cool down and will let you repair all of your gear (repair fees still apply). It can be useful when running the daily dungeons and your gear gets broken. After that, just buy the clothes, any of the vet gear will quickly be replaced by drops and mission rewards.

If you have enough of the tokens to buy the purple QL10 pvp pistol, go ahead and do it. But I think they added some pvp trinkets which might be more useful in the long run. I will log in and look. Before you buy anything, pick up the Restoration Contrivance, it is a reusable healing item with 90 second cooldown that works anywhere (pvp or pve).

If you want to save your pvp marks, you can purchase a QL6 blue weapon in Blue Mountain for 50 sequins; otherwise you can use your sequins to purchase casting toolkits to change how your weapons look or you can purchase bags of ethereal gambit for a lottery bag with a chance to get signet bags, glyph bags, and other random stuff.

Early PvP advice: Avoid stonehenge; the 5v5v5 environment is a playground for geared out players. In El Dorado, try to put together a support build that will buff your team and debuff the relic holders. In Fusang, also run a support build that focuses on debuffing other players. Being able to move fast also helps out a lot in Fusang, so if you can get some active and passive abilities that make you faster, you can capture areas for your team.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 13, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

HughGRect posted:

Early PvP advice: Avoid stonehenge; the 5v5v5 environment is a playground for geared out players. In El Dorado, try to put together a support build that will buff your team and debuff the relic holders. In Fusang, also run a support build that focuses on debuffing other players. Being able to move fast also helps out a lot in Fusang, so if you can get some active and passive abilities that make you faster, you can capture areas for your team.

Bonus PVP advice: unless you are the Michael Jordan of PVP, you will die a lot. Try not to take it personally, or else you'll be miserable. I find it helps to avoid trash-talk.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

Restoration Contrivance, it is a reusable healing item with 90 second cooldown that works anywhere (pvp or pve).

Fuckin' Funcom. That's arguably better than the Karma Curio that took all that blood sweat and tears to get.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

The Dregs posted:

Steam holiday sale coming up...

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I can't find anywhere to plug in that free code.y

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

The Dregs posted:

I can't find anywhere to plug in that free code.y

https://register.thesecretworld.com/account

In the new customer area, select register with a key.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Great, thanks. Installing now.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So I just came back to this fuckin' game to play through the new story missions, and I seem to be having a really rough go of it. I used to play an AR/lecch build when soloing, and it worked really well prior to Toyko. Now I finish every fight almost dead if I even win at all, and killing even a single enemy is kinda rough. I'm raid geared with 1970 hp which might be my issue, but I'm not sure how to really fix that now.

Can anyone recommend a good soloing build?

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

Hipster Occultist posted:

So I just came back to this fuckin' game to play through the new story missions, and I seem to be having a really rough go of it. I used to play an AR/lecch build when soloing, and it worked really well prior to Toyko. Now I finish every fight almost dead if I even win at all, and killing even a single enemy is kinda rough. I'm raid geared with 1970 hp which might be my issue, but I'm not sure how to really fix that now.

Can anyone recommend a good soloing build?

So there's a few problems heading straight into Tokyo. First off you've got really limited AEGIS options, only one full set of three controllers which leaves either nothing on one weapon or some jury rigged combination on both weapons. Second, leeching relies on dealing damage, and against AEGIS shields you're only considered dealing the amount of damage you deal to the shields until they go down which makes your leeched health plummet. Third, Tokyo mobs hit hard, have tons of AoEs, and spew filth everywhere so you're going to get tagged by something eventually so with 1970 health you've got the staying power of tissue paper.

Equip a health piece; 1970 is still the standard in dungeons but in Tokyo you just need more because you're going to be leeching less in the first seconds of the fight. If you've got a purple major health piece stored away that's plenty, I run around with 4k safely.

The missions from Kurt (the guy in the tank) in the middle of Kaidan reward AEGIS controllers for your weapon slots. Tower Defense can be completed fairly easily once you make the rest of the modifications, The Right Round can be more difficult, you can ask around for a group without too much trouble.

Just starting out you're also missing your AEGIS capacitors and modules, the bits that go into the empty slots above your weapon AEGIS. They've added free but weak ones as the reward for finishing I9/I10 which helps, but you can easily pick up low QL ones from the market. The QL you can equip is based on the highest level of AEGIS controller you have equipped, so initially focus your xp rewards on just one controller until it's ~v1.4. A single QL4 Capacitor adds ~+4% AEGIS damage conversion, a v1.4 Controller adds ~8% AEGIS damage conversion; with four capacitors equipped that turns your 8% damage conversion to 24%.

You should also pick up AEGIS Modules; you can equip two, are unique, and they start at QL2. Useful choices starting out would be a Feedback Loop Module (hitting a matching AEGIS enemy with an afflict makes all enemies around the target take AEGIS shield damage over time) and a Critical Bypass Module (large bonus AEGIS damage when you crit).

This is the build I run around Kaidan with; it's certainly not optimized and you can swap out a lot of parts, but it should be a good baseline. In Tokyo you generally want a mixture of single target and group builders and consumers, just from sheer mob density. Suppressing Fire is your AoE builder and trigger for Leeching Frenzy as well as your Elemental resource builder, Anima Shot is your single target builder and leech/heal for survival. Transfuse Anima is your single target consumer and leech/heal, High Explosive Grenade is your AoE consumer.

An aspect of the AEGIS system is that the type of damage you deal is dependent on whatever's on the weapon you're using at the time, just like signets. This means even starting out with the bare minimum of three AEGIS Controllers all thrown on your rifle, you can start a fight with three rounds of Suppressing Fire and cast Lightning Manifestation, then hit another rifle ability and the LM will switch to dealing the AEGIS damage your rifle does. This helps bring down enemy's shields faster, so you can leech faster, so you can stay alive longer; it also helps make renewing shields (cybernetic/psychic mobs) more manageable.

Reap and Sew and Turn the Tables are purely added survivability for the early stages, and can be swapped out to your preference. Red Mist is a useful alternative as an Elemental Forced Red Mist is enough to take out any enemy shield.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Thanks, that was a big help. I had actually completely forgot that I had health gear for one reason or another. My build was actually pretty similar so I didn't have to change much actually, but what I did change seems to work better.

All this AEGIS stuff seems kind of unnecessary, but at least I have an idea of how it works now.

:edit: That Kurt dude just gave a QL 0, when do I start seeing the higher QL's?

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 16, 2014

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
The Issue 10 missions will give QL3 stuff. But the Auction House was my best friend for that stuff. You can visit the Orochi vendor behind the tree in Tokyo to buy the upgrade kits to upgrade your Aegis damage/shield units.

Edit:
I didn't know the deck builder site existed, that's cool. I built my deck for reference here. I have a lot of signet based heals on my grinding deck (Thirst, fortification and rejuvenation). I slot a heal and health talisman in the lows.

I like chain damage, and arc flash doesn't slow me down while avoiding AOE. As the previously stated, using R&S and Turn the Tide is good in the beginning, but I found I didn't need them as much as time went on. That's why I slotted Red Mist and Tactical Retreat.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 16, 2014

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

Hipster Occultist posted:

:edit: That Kurt dude just gave a QL 0, when do I start seeing the higher QL's?

All the AEGIS Controllers start at QL0. When you defeat enemies in Kaidan they drop AEGIS xp in addition to their normal item drops. If you hover over your AEGIS Controller the tooltip will say "Analysis: X.XX% complete" which is its xp total. Once it hits 100% you'll get a popup saying an AEGIS system update is available, which just means you can level it up to the next QL. South of the Kaidan Agartha entrance is an Orochi Researcher who'll sell you Memory Expansion Modules to level your controllers; place the controller in the crafting window and use the memory expansion module as the toolkit and your controller will be bumped up to the next QL.

While completing Kaidan quests you'll get Biohazard Containers loot bags in addition to the regular rewards. North of the wall (all I9 areas) you'll get AEGIS xp from them, so you can choose which controller gets your quest xp by equipping it before opening the container (or if all your controllers are ready to level you can hang on to the canister so no xp is lost). South of the wall the containers can also contain 10-15k pax, sequins of sunrise, and keys to spawn bosses in addition to xp.

edit: Having to level controllers individually is another reason why capacitors will help out so much. You get ~1% more damage on a controller each QL. Getting a controller to QL2 and equipping a full set of capacitors will give you an immediate ~12% damage jump on all of your controllers.

Gentleman Owl fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 16, 2014

Enwelle Anthem
Dec 1, 2013
Bought this game on release, then abandoned it. Now i'm looking for some F2P MMO that can be fun and entertaining after being burnt hard by Archeage.
Is this game any good without buying the issues/subbing?

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Enwelle Anthem posted:

Bought this game on release, then abandoned it. Now i'm looking for some F2P MMO that can be fun and entertaining after being burnt hard by Archeage.
Is this game any good without buying the issues/subbing?

The game is now buy to play, there is no sub.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
And the issues are all story content for after you're done with the main story, so you can probably hold off on buying them until you're finished with that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
The Christmas Conspiracy Event!

The Holiday events start today and end on the 5th of January.

I wanna go home and start playing now. :mad:

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Rincewind posted:

And the issues are all story content for after you're done with the main story, so you can probably hold off on buying them until you're finished with that.

And even then, issues 8 and onward are the only ones required to continue the story after Mortal Sins. 5, 6, and 7 are all just auxiliary weapons and other missions.

Then there's the side story packs, but that's another matter. Still optional, though.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Don't know if this has any value/use/whatever, but someone please use this and/or give it to someone who will so that I can pretend to be a generous goon or something. Quote this if it's taken/dead/whatever so people don't waste time on it.

Funcom posted:

Download and play the game FREE for 30 days using your unique code:

KYE4T9M955KJ8KJS

Code also includes potions to speed up progress + $5 USD of Bonus Points to spend in The Secret World.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Sputnik posted:

Don't know if this has any value/use/whatever, but someone please use this and/or give it to someone who will so that I can pretend to be a generous goon or something. Quote this if it's taken/dead/whatever so people don't waste time on it.

It's taken.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Eh, I don't have any friends who want to play it, hope this makes some goon happy: WL7FKPQXZA9C4CQ2

30 days free play and a couple other things, same as above. I don't care if you sub after or not because I don't give a poo poo about getting another month of sub to THE SECRET WORLD OF FUNCOM.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So how hard is Xibalba? If I'm only up to Blue Mountain should I just forget getting to do it?

Month long trial key
2MEXQVY7ZQFKSUKT

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 19, 2014

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Where are you getting those keys from? If I got one I can give it away too.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Morglon posted:

Where are you getting those keys from? If I got one I can give it away too.

Got it in an email from Funcom talking about the Christmas event.

The codes allow you to play for an entire month free of charge, so any lurkers in this thread who've been thinking about playing TSW should really use them. Just ignore the MMO cruft and treat the game like the ultimate conspiracy theory nuthead single player RPG it was always meant to be.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
30 day free trial code: JNVU6ZUXMX6UKC5K

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

xanthan posted:

So how hard is Xibalba? If I'm only up to Blue Mountain should I just forget getting to do it?

Month long trial key
2MEXQVY7ZQFKSUKT

I would be exceedingly cautious about doing it with a pick-up group. I had two today that were terrible. No tank, people who didn't pay attention to the mechanics, weird "oh it's just one guy" attitudes.

Also, Hel in Niflheim is way, way tougher than I expected. Even in normal mode, which our group wasn't able to beat. :(

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

prefect posted:

I would be exceedingly cautious about doing it with a pick-up group. I had two today that were terrible. No tank, people who didn't pay attention to the mechanics, weird "oh it's just one guy" attitudes.

Also, Hel in Niflheim is way, way tougher than I expected. Even in normal mode, which our group wasn't able to beat. :(

So in theory if I got 4 other people, including a tank and a healer, we should be good to do it? Cool, thanks. I already know a guy who plays as a healer and my main that I've been neglecting is a tank so it shouldn't be that hard to get a sort of balanced pick up group.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Is Super Hel broken again this year? Is she even a thing this time? I remember last year that stupid thing would break every other spawn.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Another key:
5NW7F6LZJXNCUWJS

And ironically - I can't play. I caught the goddamn stuck at loading screen bug and it's driving me crazy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

novaSphere posted:

Is Super Hel broken again this year? Is she even a thing this time? I remember last year that stupid thing would break every other spawn.

You mean it was broken beyond having it's HP hosed up because they literally didn't test her before dropping her on live? That's priceless.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Oh, yeah. Broken as in you literally could not attack her after she spawned sometimes (kind of like the Tokyo golem during the anniversary)

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

xanthan posted:

Xibalba normal is tuned for QL6, if I recall correctly. Its the NM version that can be a major pain with PUGs - that or bone collector achievement.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Question about the FunCom currency (and the veteran coins too) you get every month if you're a subscriber:

Does it rollover and accumulate, or do you have to spend it? If it doesn't roll over I might just sub for the duration I'm playing, but if they keep banking up I'll go for the lifetime subscription.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Both, they accumulate until Funcom decides date X is a cutoff and bonus points will expire then (bought Funcom points never expire). I think they let bonus points expire once so far? Not sure.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

orcane posted:

Both, they accumulate until Funcom decides date X is a cutoff and bonus points will expire then (bought Funcom points never expire). I think they let bonus points expire once so far? Not sure.

I think the cutoff is 6 months from earning them.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

macnbc posted:

I think the cutoff is 6 months from earning them.

Yep. Veteran points never go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Man, I hope this game limps along long enough to finish out the plotline. I just played through issue 10 and I dunno what the gently caress to think anymore, I'm not certain who's betraying who and what the sides even are anymore. :psyduck:

• Locked thread