Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
running the piezo cables under a metal pickup ring scares the poo poo out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

Welcome to the P90/bucker club. It makes good sounds.

Still rocking this combo in my LPJ. It works well (although my P90 is a little hot for that spot). I find myself playing my Fidelitron equipped Tele way more lately.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 12, 2014

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

moctopus posted:

What kind of guitar is that? It's pretty.

Ibanez RG421 in Mahogany Oil. Has absolutely zero sustain and what seems to be unconquerable fret buzz, but it was $300, and I've altered it more than anybody should alter a guitar. The back of that is awful because installing those piezo saddles was literally the first time I've ever used a router. Test routes are for suckers.

Eventually I'll drop ridiculous sums of money on a custom Carvin that I may or may not have the specs memorized to, but until then this is my main axe.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Literally Elvis posted:

Ibanez RG421 in Mahogany Oil. Has absolutely zero sustain and what seems to be unconquerable fret buzz, but it was $300, and I've altered it more than anybody should alter a guitar. The back of that is awful because installing those piezo saddles was literally the first time I've ever used a router. Test routes are for suckers.

Eventually I'll drop ridiculous sums of money on a custom Carvin that I may or may not have the specs memorized to, but until then this is my main axe.
I bought the Swamp Ash version of that guitar. I wanted it for a few reasons: Natural Southern Ash Finish, Hard Tail, All-Access Neck Joint, 24 Frets on a neck with JEM neck dimensions.
I knew for $399 it was likely to have problems, and it did. I also knew I was going to replace the electronics.

I bought it because a friend of mine had just bought one and it looked like a good deal. It turned out to have problems, and mine had nearly identical QC issues:

Luckily I have access to a skilled luthier who has reasonable rates. His verdict: the fretjob was never finished at the factory. From about the 14th fret up the frets were re-leveled (poorly) but the finishing work was never done. You could still see the file marks on the frets. It was clearly a rush job to get it out the door. There were notes that, when fretted with reasonable action, were just choked off by the next fret up.
Also, I learned that I have to be careful when I adjust the truss rod, because sometimes the rod rattles against its channel in the neck and Ihave to turn it a tiny bit to make the (easy to miss) little rattle to go away.

My luthier re-leveled those frets and finished the crowning and polishing, and told me how to deal with the truss-rod. That cost me $70.oo.
I put a pair of Eric Johnson DiMarzios in it and a DiMarzio True Velvet in the middle. I wired both humbuckers to push-pull knobs (volume = bridge, tone = neck) for series/parallel switching. It's extremely versatile, now. It's nice to finally own an Ibanez that I can detune on the fly.

This is the end result, and I'm very satisfied with it now, because it sounds and plays great. If, however, I hadn't had access a good luthier, I'd have had to return it.

Buyer beware: The bones of a great guitar are there in the RG421, but you will probably need to buy it some attention before it's really useable. No sustain issues to speak of. Might want to see if the truss rod is rattling and sapping string vibration?

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

I really need to just bite the bullet and buy myself a really nice, keep-for-30-years kind of guitar, but I'm at this weird circular point where I don't think it's worth it to buy a better guitar until I have an amp I really like, but really what's the point of having a good amp if I don't have a good cab, but really what's the point of having a good cab if I don't have a better guitar and yadda yadda yadda.

Just Chompin'
Apr 17, 2004

1% Pure
Bought this thing today.

Mesa Boogie M9 Carbine with a Bergantino CN112

Khomaniac
Dec 9, 2013

Two most recent. 1981 Explorer CMT and Lone Wolf Audio Left Hand Wrath (Higher tech upgraded HM-2 clone type thing, Bloodbath used them on the new album).

Khomaniac fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 19, 2014

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I got an amp! (Cross posted from the amp thread).

It's awesome.

The Pathfinder was my first amp, and this is the biggest step I've taken with this gear. I love it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I would love to hear all about it. I've been a fan of that little amp for a long time but I haven't played one myself. I would love to build a live rig around a pair of those, modded with effects send/returns.

That's doable, isn't it guys?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

The Pathfinder? They're pretty awesome little boxes. I picked mine up in ~~Limited Edition Diezel Green~~ for about AU$80 new. I love the clean sounds, and it takes pedals really well. I think I've seen some people mod effects loops into them but a cursory Google search didn't turn up anything. I'd assume it's doable, and there's a bunch of people modding cabinet outputs too. Good thing, because while it sounds great the 6.5" speaker doesn't help with the volume, especially at 10W. That's the main reason I went with the Night Train. Both have that Vox clean sound, but the Night Train has way more power and a much nicer gain channel.

Which is the Pathfinder's main flaw. The gain channel/mode is pretty "eh". Not terrible, and not bad for a starter who just wants a crunchy sound to practice. I used it for ages just fine. The lack of footswitching made me grab some dirt pedals though. What I really wanted was a Pathfinder with more wattage, bigger/nicer speaker(s) and a footswitch. I would've been pretty happy with that. The Night Train is all that and a bit more though, so I'm pretty glad I grabbed it.

If you want some demos of the Pathfinder I can probably do a DI recording of some clips. Overall though, it's nice, but definitely hamstrung by the lack of power and little speaker. But it is a cheap practice amp though!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
No, I hosed up. I was goggling at your Night Train because I think it could make an incredible rig. Sorry, I wasn't clear.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Ah fair enough. Yeah, I'm loving the Night Train. Got the really nice Vox-y cleans like I said, and the thick mode is pretty nice for semi-clean blues or light rock. The model I have is the first generation 50W head. The gain channel goes from hard rock to heavy doom or even nice metal if you chuck a bit of boost in front and give it the ole midscoop treatment (In my opinion anyway. I don't do a load of usual metal stuff). It actually comes with an effects loop and so does the 15W head as well, or at least the G2 does. It gets nice and bassy but not really farty. I haven't had the chance to really gun it but at bedroom levels it's nice. I use a fair bit of gain, usually just cranked, but it works pretty nice around 3/4 of the way. Any more it just gets a bit more compressed and tighter, but I like a bit of wobbliness. The Tight switch is pretty useful too. I expect I'll be using it when I bring this to the next jam session so I don't step on the bassist's toes.

The G2 comes with reverb and a DI out, but loses the Tight switch. So it'd be whatever you really want most. I figure I'll use the Tight switch more than the DI out (I'll just bust out my mics to record it) and I never use reverb anyway. G2s also get the Thick switch on both channels. I didn't care about that seeing as I figure I'll just use a boost in front for the extra.

One of the nice things about it compared to other Vox's and even other competitive amps is the independent tone stacks. I find it annoying with other amps where you lose options (Looking at you Vox, and your mids) or dial in just the right sound only to find that while it sounds great on the clean channel it sounds meh to bad on the gain, or vice versa. Speaking of, it's really responsive with the controls. Like I said before, the gain channel can get pretty rough and edgy (In a good way) or really low and heavy, just by flicking the treble up and mids down, or the other way. The tone cut is classic Vox and works as expected. Put it to the left, switch to bridge, scoop the mids and get the gain going and it does a pretty good Mesa impression. Not quite as METAL but pretty good for what it is. It takes my pedals brilliantly to boot.

I picked the head and cab up for AUD$1400 total. G2 I'd be looking at an extra $2-400 depending. All in all it's absolutely fantastic, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants a fairly high-gain amp that can actually do cleans. Other competitors are things like a Blackstar or Jet City. They do the gain thing well but after trying them they can't touch the Vox clean channel. Maybe that doesn't matter to you though! If I missed anything let me know.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
No, that was great. I want. A pair of 2x12 Night Train little stacks. I think I could do just about anything from there. Wish I had the money.
Thanks!

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I totes forgot that I had an old bridge pickup around, so I swapped pups in my Tele today.

Twisted Tele Neck Pup -New

Mint Green Guard -New

Bridge Pup- No clue what it is, but it's brass bottom and measures at about 6.8k which is really nice. I swapped out a set of http://www.guitarfetish.com/Alnico-Fatbody-Oversized-Polepiece-Tele-Bridge-Pickup_p_75.html. Which were pretty good but not really Teleish. Anyway, whatever it is, it's a good sounding pickup.

EHX Soul Food -New

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wish I could pull off a mint guard on my butterscotch, that's a beautiful guitar all over.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

My Christmas present to me:

Squire Vintage Modified Jaguar in beautiful surf green.

Mini review:

This is the first 24" scale guitar I've ever owned, and it's really nice. Setup was better than the 700 dollar made in USA Les Paul I bought last year on clearance by a lot. Like I am shocked how nice this thing plays out of the box. The tremolo is garbage though? Instantly goes out of tune if you use it, plus the bar doesn't have threads... So it slides out if you bend over. It might not be setup "right" though, I don't know. I never use them anyway.

The duncan designed pickups are really nice. Better than expected.

Only problem with it was that the rhythm circuit was the only thing that worked. I popped open the jackplate, and the volume knob was loose and a thin line of solder was connecting everything and I guess it shouldn't of been, because I nudged it , it fell off, and now it works fine.

I am going to order a Warmoth adjustable mustang/jaguar bridge soon I think. I can already see why people say the Jaguar bridge kind of sucks. Overall though I am thrilled with this purchase.

9/10 would buy again.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 25, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Lovely! How does it sound through the OR15? I'm planning on buying that exact color in the next year for some dirty surfing.

Also, don't force it and break something, but try pushing the Trem in kinda hard. Quite a few Squiers have push in/pop in trems and lots of people never notice because it feels kinda wrong. Not sure if that's one but it's worth a try.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
$40 slide guitar appears.

Replaced all the pots and the jack with some spares. New strings. Pulled the automatically throw it out of tune bar tremolo bar.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Lovely! How does it sound through the OR15? I'm planning on buying that exact color in the next year for some dirty surfing.

Also, don't force it and break something, but try pushing the Trem in kinda hard. Quite a few Squiers have push in/pop in trems and lots of people never notice because it feels kinda wrong. Not sure if that's one but it's worth a try.

You were right, it does pop in and stay if you push it in there!

The OR-15 is pretty much the poo poo for dirty to stupidly sludgey tones. The jaguar sounds great through it. My only gripe with the amp is that it doesn't have a dedicated clean channel. You can sorta get a "cleanish" sound, but its not ideal.

But, I will be filing my taxes in January, and am planning on buying a Princeton Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb with my refund check to remedy my clean channel needs.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This is rad. What's with that bridge though? It looks like cheese and I'm into it.

Dirt posted:

You were right, it does pop in and stay if you push it in there!

The OR-15 is pretty much the poo poo for dirty to stupidly sludgey tones. The jaguar sounds great through it. My only gripe with the amp is that it doesn't have a dedicated clean channel. You can sorta get a "cleanish" sound, but its not ideal.

But, I will be filing my taxes in January, and am planning on buying a Princeton Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb with my refund check to remedy my clean channel needs.

You sound like me. I love the cleans on the OR15, that round punchy thick kind of sound. But they're definitely not Fender cleans or anything like that. I've been looking at clean heads for a while to pair with it. The $999 Deluxe Reverb is very tempting, as are some of the Dr Zs I've heard.

Glad you're digging that combo though. The OR15 takes singles/P90 like a champ and it's such a dynamic amp that your playing style comes through very raw. It shows off sloppiness but the sounds you can get from a mixture of the volume pot + your picking strength is amazing for a lunchbox at that price.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
Can I join the P90/bucker club?

Only 200 of these ink-blue BFG's were made. Glad the guy who traded it to me didn't know that!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Dirt posted:

My Christmas present to me:

Of all the guitars I've owned and traded away the VM jag is the only one I miss, and I owned an AVRI Jag too. The bridge is fine imo, just set up the guitar with 12's (those are what it was designed for) and hit the bridge screws with some loctite. You may get a buzz as the end of the low e saddle adjustment screw vibrates against the string, if so nip off the end.

If I start playing a lot again I'll probably pick up another, that surf green is smokin' hot.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Got me a couple of these:

Yamaha MSP5 Studio.

Secondhand with some scratches for 340€ the pair with six months of warranty. They misread the label, because it said 179.99 each, so I'm not complaining. Saw a better deal online, but no warranty, no testing before buying and probably pay out of the rear end for shipping, because these suckers are heavy.

Coming from a pretty decent pair of 70s bookshelf speakers, I'm pretty blown away by the detail these speakers give me. Reviews warned for a limited reproduction of the low end, but I think I'm going to throw out my cheap subwoofer, because there's no point to it anymore in the space I'm working with. These guys do more than fine and with a lot less flab.

Must be bad studio monitors though, because so far I'm not soul-crushingly disappointed with my old mixes :v:

It's going to be fun to rediscover all my music.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
This is the least excited I've ever been for a new gear aquisition.

This bluish green Mexi Strat. I took it on trade for something I never used and it's been awhile since I've owned a strat. I broke a string setting it up so I'll grab strings tomorrow and play it for a bit. If I like it I guess I might change the pups and maybe the bridge.

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 28, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

HollisBrown posted:

This bluish green Mexi Strat. I took it on trade for something I never used and it's been awhile since I've owned a strat. I broke a string setting it up so I'll grab strings tomorrow and play it for a bit. If I like it I guess I might change the pups and maybe the bridge.

I think Mexican strats own as much as the non-plywood korean strats but if it was made more than a few years ago the pups absolutely need to be changed since that is their one weak spot. I blocked the trem on my 1999 one and I just ordered my replacement pups for it with christmas gift cards.

Sparkle Biscuit
Jul 21, 2004

Honestly, I was just hitting any note.
I am well-liked enough that I got a VT Bass pedal for Christmas. This thing really has a huge range, from barely perceptible to blowing out the drat speakers. I think I'll never turn it off.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

HollisBrown posted:

Pretty neck for a Fender

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Sparkle Biscuit posted:

I am well-liked enough that I got a VT Bass pedal for Christmas. This thing really has a huge range, from barely perceptible to blowing out the drat speakers. I think I'll never turn it off.

I just bought a VT Bass DI. Bonus feature: it can run off of 48V phantom power from the board! Spent all night putting it to use.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Well I got strings and it's set up pretty well. I forgot how different strats feel than teles.

First impressions: Not bad, the neck feels pretty good, no sharp fret ends. I was able to get the action pretty darn low.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I think Mexican strats own as much as the non-plywood korean strats but if it was made more than a few years ago the pups absolutely need to be changed since that is their one weak spot. I blocked the trem on my 1999 one and I just ordered my replacement pups for it with christmas gift cards.

The pups are the opposite of what I expected. What did you not like about the pups? I think they are kinda hot and muddy, it's missing the sparkle I like out of a strat.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

HollisBrown posted:

The pups are the opposite of what I expected. What did you not like about the pups? I think they are kinda hot and muddy, it's missing the sparkle I like out of a strat.

Muddy and hot is the exact phrase I would use to describe them, and when I hooked a volt meter to them I was shocked to see just how hot they were (11-16k resistance IIRC). I lucked out since the neck pickup on mine isn't terrible so I've been using only that recently, but it's still not even close to what a strat should sound like clean. On the other hand, they sounded good enough for the punk band I was in when I got it back in HS new for $200 so it's only recently that I've really noticed how poo poo they are when I picked it back up and I tried actually playing things.

Everything else on the guitar is perfect though since the only guitars I've tested out in the last year that came close to how easy it is to play all start at a grand which is why I don't really mind dropping $250 on new pups/pots, especially when all all but $50 of that was from christmas gifts.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Another poor quality picture from myself;

Godin Progression Boutique. Really happy with the feel and sound of this, even if I am just playing it through a modelling amp (Vox Valvetronix) :)

EDIT: After playing it for a weeks, I ended up realizing that while it is a fantastic guitar, the weight of the guitar is just too heavy for my preferences. It's not too noticeable when playing it sitting down, but when trying to play it standing up, it's just too uncomfortable for me and I ended up returning it :smith:

homewrecker fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 1, 2015

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

So I hope everyone had a good Christmas! My parents got me a couple of pedals, an EHX Soul Food and a Neo Clone. The Soul Food is as good as people always talk about for cleans and mild drive, and I'm actually liking it quite a bit even with stronger drive. The Neo Clone is pretty good for babby's first chorus pedal, although it is a little noisy. The chorus effect sounds fab, tho.

But really, what I came to post about is what I got myself, when I noticed that GC had it on sale again for $99 (and still does!): a TC T2.

Holy loving poo poo you guys. This thing owns so hard. Ambient reverbs seem to be all the rage these days, between the EQD Afterneath and the Hardwire Supernatural and so on, but this one is right up there with them. I've only hosed around with it for like half an hour and it's already my favorite pedal I've got, and I could literally just sit around with it and nothing else in the chain playing slowass ambient chillout poo poo for hours at a time. Goddamn.

Also, I swapped out the speaker on my YCV40:

And holy hell, does it make a pretty big difference across the board. The Celestion Seventy80 that originally came in the thing was ear-piercingly, mind-explodingly shrill at decent volumes regardless of what I did with tone controls, but this thing is super comfortable at at least twice the volume level I had to cap the amp out at before.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I bought a tiny bass. Rickenbacker shown for scale.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

FancyMike posted:

I bought a tiny bass. Rickenbacker shown for scale.

What is that

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

It looks like some Teisco/Kawai sort of thing.

Also looks like guitar scale. Those strings have got to be so floppy.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Some Teisco thing, it's got piccolo bass strings on it right now that aren't too floppy and I haven't gotten around to measuring the scale length yet but it's very short.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

FancyMike posted:

Some Teisco thing, it's got piccolo bass strings on it right now that aren't too floppy and I haven't gotten around to measuring the scale length yet but it's very short.

Sup Teisco bro.

My neck is boned so I'm waiting on a new Squier Jazzmaster neck to get here and just use the rest of the body and pickups. Going to have to move the bridge back 3/4" for the scale increase, so seriously thinking of sticking a Tele bridge on mine and having three pickups with the original two being the new neck and middle pickups.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Not really a new purchase so much as a new build. But I finally built a pedalboard big enough for all my pedals. Only cost about $20 in materials

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

3 channels and active eq on 2 of em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

At only $25, what a steal, especially with a working rotary speaker! (Circa 1986 fake book did not come with it.)

It's got the latest in technological developments like an RCA jack for output and one for input so you can play along with your record player! Built-in drum machine with 16 settings! It's got a pretty bad hiss though, not sure what I can do about that. I've got all the service manuals and schematics but I don't want to go rooting around in it for fear of breaking something plus half the parts are Yamaha specific junk they stopped making 30 years ago.