Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ok i don't literally mean "the semantic web", i mean the notion that the web is a massive navigable graph of data

instead it's heading towards a sea of islands populated by savage code that you have to run in order to get at that data, one disconnected chunk at a time.

"REST"ful apis (if they actually are REST to begin with and not just "like SOAP but with JSON instead of XML") are no good if there's no universal way to navigate them other than running a bunch of alien JavaScript that expects to be able to simultaneously drive a GUI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
they're islands because that's how they generate ad revenue. who benefits from a libre graph of data

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

single page applications that aren't garbage are indistinguishable from regular old multi-page web sites

like youtube, for example (which is garbage for a whole host of different reasons, but not because it doesn't retransmit most of the page every single time you navigate around the site)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

pram posted:

they're islands because that's how they generate ad revenue. who benefits from a libre graph of data

what good is an island if nobody can find it maaaaan

ain't gonna get much ad revenue with no visitors

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

what good is an island if nobody can find it maaaaan

ain't gonna get much ad revenue with no visitors

you just need to practice more brand engagement on social media and then your users will come

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

also, maybe you're not being disruptive enough?

try to disrupt harder

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i heard u like navigation so i put a path after your path so you can display a page on your page

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
in tyool2014 i restarted my linux machine and now it doesn't work ahahhahaha

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bobbilljim posted:

surely you did not do something as foolish as updating any part of its software

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

forgive me, i ran the sinful command 'yum update'

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
i blame systemd

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
:argh: poettering :argh:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

bobbilljim posted:

fedora? ty for the heads up i foolishly did this yesterday but do not often turn off compute

ruby idiot railed posted:

i blame systemd

d'd by the system

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

bobbilljim posted:

that's your mistake then, should have used 'aptitude safe-upgrade' instead

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr Dog posted:

because i'm guessing Chrome is a natural byproduct of Google having to run a full-fledged headless web browser in a cage in order to scrape all that poo poo. it certainly explains why it has such a strong emphasis on sandboxing.

this is basically totally wrong

quote:

so it seems liek HotJava was the way to go all along and modern single page JavaScript applications are effectively a bastardized version of HotJava only with a lovely scripting language instead of the JVM. then again given Java applets' security track record that might be for the best.

based on my experience working on a Java based browser, and Java integrations into other browsers, HotJava would have a hard time being any less the way to go.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
systemd actually totally owns and idk what all those fat retards were/are whining about

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

systemd actually totally owns and idk what all those fat retards were/are whining about

Linux, duh

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

beardos basing he identity around a means to an end / idiot nerd tribalism / waaa change + learning

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

OldAlias posted:

beardos basing he identity around a means to an end / idiot nerd tribalism / waaa change + learning

don't forget the untreated mental illness that leads some people to genuinely believe shell scripts are good

helsinki syndrome perhaps

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
p sure chrome exists to let google scrape more data

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

im going to install mint over that fedora shite

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im going to install bucket of dog poo poo over that pile of vomit

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
actually fedora is good. sounds like the problem is with you

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

lmao

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bobbilljim posted:

"wow, this food is rancid. I better get another spoon."

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ya fedora is ok. cutting-edge without being too unstable, though it has a few failed experiments like their effort to selinux everything clogging the place up.

debian is a bit convervative but if you don't mind being a bit out of date it's a loving swiss army chainsaw, especially for embedded development. like i'm not even fronting here if you're writing code for an embedded platform that's targeted by gcc and you're not using Debian to do it then you're a stupid trendy hipster idiot.

arch is good ime if you're feeling a little frisky, just don't install it (or any rolling release distro) on a production server for god's sake or you deserve to get fired with extreme prejudice.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol mint is actually just a brown turd painted green. it sucks too hth

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

the ops "team" told me mint was good

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

bobbilljim posted:

how long of a beard does he have?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pram posted:

systemd doesn't totally own, it just owns as much as it can on a lesser (non-Mach-based) system

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

like i'm not even fronting here if you're writing code for an embedded platform that's targeted by gcc and you're not using Debian to do it then you're a stupid trendy hipster idiot.

lol if you're targeting anything embedded using anything GPLv3 in your toolchain

llvm + clang supremacy

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

how long of a beard does he have?

neither of them have beards sadly. I don't know if that's a good or bad sign

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

eschaton posted:

llvm + clang supremacy

:)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

eschaton posted:

systemd doesn't totally own, it just owns as much as it can on a lesser (non-Mach-based) system

i mean it owns compared to a morass of ye olde artisanal bash scripttes

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
mach is hot garbage hth

pram
Jun 10, 2001
I think you'll find that xnu is the worlds most advanced kernel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Series DD Funding posted:

does canonical still sell all your searches to amazon
they never did

if you did a search in the unity dash for something one of the handlers for that search would anonymize the data, run it through an anonymizing proxy, then query amazon for the same term and return the results (with a +canonical referral link included).

After everyone complained easy UI to disable it was added in the next release, and I believe today it's off by default.