Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I'm okay with them "just" being in Homestuck, since the intermission was something that some people apparently skipped, thinking it was irrelevant and/or uninteresting.

On a side note, I saw a Tumblr post where Homestucks were only just finding out what Problem Sleuth is (i.e. "Oh my god is it actually about three detectives trying to leave their office?") Are people really so purely invested in the shipping grid/troll romance dynamics of Homestuck that they never even considered the possibility of looking at the author's previous stories to see if they'd like them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think Aranea becoming a completely irrelevant footnote because a nerd picks a ring up off a couch might be my favorite part of this update :allears: Keep fixing everything, John!

frozentreasure posted:

I'm okay with them "just" being in Homestuck, since the intermission was something that some people apparently skipped, thinking it was irrelevant and/or uninteresting.

On a side note, I saw a Tumblr post where Homestucks were only just finding out what Problem Sleuth is (i.e. "Oh my god is it actually about three detectives trying to leave their office?") Are people really so purely invested in the shipping grid/troll romance dynamics of Homestuck that they never even considered the possibility of looking at the author's previous stories to see if they'd like them?

Half of them don't even read Homestuck so I'm not too shocked :shrug:

segoli
Oct 23, 2010

But of course, from a thief's perspective, the best kind of ladder is the rope-ladder. A step-ladder is much too heavy to carry around, after all.
You're not a true fan of Andrew Hussie's work if you haven't read his guide to doing art with charcoal :colbert:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
My heart wants Areana to now be irrelevant, but with a line like that I know it can't be so.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Suaimhneas posted:

I find it kind of unsettling how everyone's just standing around with those silly faces while John rambles. It's like they don't get to have any dialogue or even meaningful reactions, because they're already irrelevant and the universe/narrative/whatever knows it. It gives me the creeps.

edit: Paradox Space: Dave is suddenly somewhere sunny, he pulls out a second pair of shades and puts them on over the first. Amazing.

Meanwhile, the artist finally realises they're totally incapable of making Rose look in-character and starts just drawing her from the back

Reminds me of when John crashed Caliborns story with all the lovely Daves.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Is there a reason that everyone is sort of vacant and expressionless? I read back from the 'unaltered' timeline, and it's just the quick act end. Followed later by John saying that he talked to everyone there.

But it did remind me of where else we've seen vacant expressionless versions of people, even the sideways laying on the ground. Calliborn's Homosuck. Well, his early, pre-reading the how to draw manga book.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think it's mostly because john just made an event that already took a moment to digest even more mindboggling

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, similar to the Roxy 'sup' thing, people are assuming there's some sinister motive for character reactions, but I think it's just Hussie being silly and having the entire cast flabbergasted by a second John show up and talk at length about stuff no one knows about.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

frozentreasure posted:

anyone who thought a Midnight Crew intermission would be irrelevant or uninteresting is a dweeb, that poo poo was better than parts of Homestuck before or after.

Find it hard to believe since apparently EVERYONE read hivebent and right now everything is an intermission anyway, but that's homestuck readership for you

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's also a matter of us not getting to see this set of conversations the first time, even though we really wanted to, so of course Hussie makes a big song and dance out of not showing it to us now.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Bobulus posted:

Yeah, similar to the Roxy 'sup' thing, people are assuming there's some sinister motive for character reactions, but I think it's just Hussie being silly and having the entire cast flabbergasted by a second John show up and talk at length about stuff no one knows about.

"John knows more about whats going on than we do
??
?????"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
John is usually more on top of stuff than people give him credit for! People just assume he's a clueless goof most of the time which is pretty f-ed up and everyone should put a little more confidence in the guy imo.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Bobulus posted:

I'm pretty sure this happened off camera as soon as John left.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Acne Rain posted:

anyone who thought a Midnight Crew intermission would be irrelevant or uninteresting is a dweeb, that poo poo was better than parts of Homestuck before or after.

Find it hard to believe since apparently EVERYONE read hivebent and right now everything is an intermission anyway, but that's homestuck readership for you

well, the midnight crew intermissions didn't immediately strike most people as plot relevant, starting early in the comic before a new reader would catch on to Hussie's ways; hivebent, on the other hand, was an introduction into what the deal is behind those weird pesterers showing up to trashtalk and hint that the plot becomes deeper and more convoluted than just a cosmic chess game.

Of course everyone should go back to read Midnight Crew having caught on to the fact that it actually is quite relevant, but there you go.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

John is usually more on top of stuff than people give him credit for! People just assume he's a clueless goof most of the time which is pretty f-ed up and everyone should put a little more confidence in the guy imo.

Yes, let us instead reserve our bottomless disdain for Jake English and the stagnant air pocket in his skull.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

frozentreasure posted:

I wonder how many people read Homestuck for the first time and immediately went "Oh my god is it actually about a kid trying to play a video game?"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I wonder how many people read Homestuck for the first time and immediately went "Oh my god is it actually about a kid trying to play a video game?"

Me. Which is why I bounced off hard the first two times.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tollymain posted:

i think it's mostly because john just made an event that already took a moment to digest even more mindboggling

Yes, grimbark Jade just shot them all through a portal, and they were not originally in the best mental state. Rose and Terezi are both varying degrees of mind-altered and everyone else was dealing with that and the meteor collision with the new session. And then Jade. And now John. I mean, most people can barely handle John on a clean slate and a good night's sleep.

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Wow, that's really cool. It boggles my mind how well thought-out this was. One thing I've found consistently neat about Homestuck is just how well-optimized everything is in terms of saving space, bandwidth, whatever. Even little stuff like having one universal password page instead of making a separate password page for each one.

Like, Hussie COULD have replicated each page every time there's a change (oil spots, John's ghosty arm etc) but instead he just changed the file that was already there. I'm glad he's going about it in a pretty smart manner.

Actually he did replicate the images. You can see the original version by removing the "_retcon" from the image URL:
Pre-retcon
Post-retcon

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, well that's slightly less cool, but still pretty nice.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Well that's just logical; it wouldn't make sense to actually change the original file, and you would think he's gotten good at optimising the images such that having the duplicates (which he may need back later anyway) also on the server wouldn't be much of an issue for him.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Since people speculate that John will keep Terezi from healing her eyes, would he even be able to? John's ability can only change things that happened in the comic, but we never actually see Terezi's eyes get healed. It all happens off-screen.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

frozentreasure posted:

Also all the Midnight Crew are one-dimensional characters with no room for growth or an arc. And that's ok, because they aren't meant to have those, that isn't their purpose as characters.

Except Clubs Deuce, who had an arc straight into my heart. :kimchi:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Who What Now posted:

Also all the Midnight Crew are one-dimensional characters with no room for growth or an arc.

Well to be fair, they were initially parallels to their Problem Sleuth counterparts (well, except for Hearts Boxcars), and maybe I missed it while I was rereading Problem Sleuth recently but I did not see Pickle Inspector go through a wild 6 act, 18 intermission morals-changing character arc. Now, Ace Dick on the other hand...

edit: remembering everybody's name is too hard

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 20, 2014

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Going back and rereading some pages directly before the gigapause, since I've kind of forgotten what happens. So, theory:

I feel like the comic is going to end with Caliborn's existence as a character continually spiralling into an infinite loop of Act 6 Act 6 Act 6s Act 6. John's ability is to alter the comic itself, so he's bound to anything that actually happens in a shown panel. So therefore, the treasure that he fell into that gave him his power to begin with is Homestuck itself, and Vriska said that the treasure was supposed to be used on him to stop him somehow. So they'll all fall into this Act 6 black hole, but John will manage to break through that somehow in order to actually progress the comic one more page in the right direction.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I hope it ends like that Goosebumps choose your own adventure book where you get stuck on two pages where your character is in a maze, and the Page 75 says "You come to a fork. You take a left turn, then a right, then another left. The maze seems endless! [CONTINUED ON PAGE 168]", and then Page 168 says "You take third left, then another right, then come to a dead end, so you turn around and go the other way. The maze seems endless! [CONTINUED ON PAGE 75]"

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Yeah, I feel like that's exactly what will happen, two pages will eventually feed into each other. I also think it's interesting, since I just read everything up to the reunion, that when you don't take the newest password path, the comic almost sort of immediately 'ends' with Caliborn standing there laughing and then beginning Homosuck by using the Act 6 Act 6 extension cartridge. If this new password locked page is the 'earliest' one to occur in the whole comic by the end of the comic, then it does technically mean that everything going down the non-password path is, essentially, a doomed timeline. And, it's the timeline that Caliborn is trapped in, which is why he took it over and turned it into Homosuck.

What I'm saying, is that Homestuck just made all of its updates between the original reunion and now irrelevant. What a waste of time.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
It begins to dawn on you that everything you just did may have been a colossal waste of time.

I think that is what you mean to say. And you're not wrong, I think.

Surprise Noodle fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 20, 2014

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Yeah because eventually this dead, irrelevant timeline will have to be shown and resolved. in the end, the point is going to be that a bunch of the comic is irrelevant, and it will be the part with caliborn stuck in control of it. so really, anything that is act 6 act 6 act 6 is just wasting our time

hussie is loving trolling us, god drat it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't think it's necessarily a waste of OUR time. Maybe the characters' time, but up until right this minute we had no confirmed idea that this was how it was going to play out. So even though things that have already happened in the comic are being changed or erased, the time we spent reading up to that point hasn't been wasted because we still viewed the events in order that they happened. Even if now those things no longer matter in the grand scheme, the fact that we did not know that and that at one point in time it was not that way means that for us, the readers, it wasn't a waste of time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

thanks alot assbag posted:

Yeah because eventually this dead, irrelevant timeline will have to be shown and resolved. in the end, the point is going to be that a bunch of the comic is irrelevant, and it will be the part with caliborn stuck in control of it. so really, anything that is act 6 act 6 act 6 is just wasting our time

hussie is loving trolling us, god drat it

Are you saying that Homosuck had been bad to read?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm pretty sure the entire comic is relevant even if it gets retconned, at least because of the Alpha John's memories of it which led him to his current situation. So no pages will be fully removed or changed.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
It's not a waste of time really you're right, because they need to happen in order to complete the overall story. It's going to end up being a story about stories and narrative arcs, so by nature it has to actually end for it to be complete.

Also, consider the star/black hole imagery. The outline of the big star is Homestuck's true narrative arc, with Act 6 Act 6 Act 6 being the part that spirals off into a black hole. That part is Homosuck and it is terrible, but the black hole has to actually happen, probably by becoming a mess of branching paths forever but then eventually becoming an endless loop of two pages. And Homestuck will have to continue and either end at some point, or loop back into itself. Not sure if it really matters which one happens.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I honestly feel like I figured this poo poo out, so I'm going to spoiler tag this

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008178 This is going to be the page where they escape, via the meteor or by some other means, out of Act 6 Act 6 Act 6 and back to the regular timeline. The glitches will clear to reveal this via the flash, and end with the link to the page that shows all of the characters escaping back to the real timeline. John will gather everyone on LOWAS, which is the planet that Jade is targeting, which is evident now that it canonically isn't covered in oil anymore.

The reason why the password is REUNION for this last branch is because it's when everyone hops back into the main storyline. Everyone right now is keeping their yaps shut because John doesn't know this yet.

thanks alot assbag fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 20, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You're forgetting that there is no "regular" timeline anymore. Or to be more accurate that what you think to be the "regular" is no longer the regular thanks to John's new abilities. Whichever timeline he is currently in is the Alpha and his actions have already permanently changed it and will continue to do so, so long as he continue to retcon zap himself around the place.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 20, 2014

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
But everyone is sitting there being quiet because they're the actual characters after they escaped from Homosuck. There is an overall predestination, and right now in this timeline, the John that we're currently following will eventually become a Past John, while the one standing on the tablet is the 'real' one after having just escaped. They're just posing and being as passive as possible, because THEY'RE the ones who actually can't change any of this timeline while Past John is fooling around

vvv Yes, fine

thanks alot assbag fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 20, 2014

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

And so, Homestuck claims another reader's sanity.

(I'm saying your theory is gibberish and you should get some sleep)

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
I don't know about all these theories.

I just thought this was a good opportunity to use one of my favorite quotes from the comic.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm surprised so many people are fixating on the faces when this is not even the first time those characters have looked like that in the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Alternate timelines are just a rule that the story voluntarily follows most of the time in order to be more entertaining. They're useful for us to understand what we should understand as "happening" off-panel, and why what's happening in one panel follows from what happened in previous panels.

John is changing the story itself. There is no off-panel for what he's doing. What you see is what you get. The branches he creates still follow the same general rules, because Hussie is still competent, but that's all.