Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
On that note, I hope that Yuuma has a chance to sit down and talk with his teammates about what just happened in this episode here... and then at least one of them points out that there was no way he was gonna be strong enough to take the guy down on his own because he stopped battling for two whole years over his previous loss to the guy. Doesn't matter how many times you replay the battle in your head, Yuuma, unless you actually go out there and train, you're not going to get strong enough to beat a guy who's apparently been battling every day nonstop for years.

Probably not going to happen, but it's a nice thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
The entire thing would have been tolerable if it were less predictable, given last season's tendency to at least break the most basic of expectations for what it was going with. When I saw Yuuma launch I basically started listing off quotes in my head and ended up seeing them being used. It's hard to actually care when the thing is a literal giant cliche meeting, right down to the dialogue. Though, kudos to Yuuma for at least maintaining a level of nerddom (something solely lacking) and quoting Gyunei when the Fangs were being ridiculous.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Srice posted:

Sekai seems like he worked his rear end off for his martial arts and has some mysterious awesome person that trained him. If he lost to someone in a martial arts competition or w/e it would be a similar circumstance and he would probably not mope about it and act cold towards his friends for 2 years.

Christ it's a bit of leap to say that he was constantly moping about it I can see losing that bad killing someone's drive to play a game. He just didn't want to do gunpla battle anymore, which is the only reason that he avoided Fumina, because he knew he was letting her down.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Monaghan posted:

Christ it's a bit of leap to say that he was constantly moping about it I can see losing that bad killing someone's drive to play a game. He just didn't want to do gunpla battle anymore, which is the only reason that he avoided Fumina, because he knew he was letting her down.

Avoiding your closest friend for 2 whole years because of shame seems like constantly moping to me!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I could forgive a lot of stuff about how they've handled Yuuma if they took it in a compelling direction mind you, but his character is incredibly aggravating most of the time because he has a lot of angst for the sake of angst. That's dull and he honestly feels like a one-note character that in most sports anime would just have his moment for a few episodes and then fade away to the background so that the more interesting characters can have the spotlight back.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Ka0 posted:

I like the Victory. Is it because it has katoki-barbie legs and a peanut for a head?

The height is hosed, the elbows are completely wrong, the thighs are warped, the torso is stretched out, the neck doesn't exist, and the backpack is hosed. The head is actually one of the few things not wrong with it, believe it or not.

On the left: 15.2 meters tall. On the right: 15.5.

EDIT: The majority of the issues come from them reusing Katoki's lineart, which was heavily redesigned to make the transformation physically possible. This did not scale down well.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 19, 2014

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I can't believe Yuuma's been writing revenge fanfiction in his mind for two years.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Imagine a boot jigen hou-ing on your face forever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Level Slide posted:

I can't believe Yuuma's been writing revenge fanfiction in his mind for two years.

Don't forget that the Lightning was entirely designed around countering the guy's Gundam. Which makes no loving sense in hindsight considering he built it before he started playing Gunpla Battle again.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Having had some time to think about it, I'm actually pretty pleased with how the fight in this last episode turned out, because it highlighted pretty much all of the problems the team still has:
  • Yuuma, despite being childhood friends with Fumina, tries to do everything on his own, and when it's revealed he's not good enough on his own, he gives up and withdraws into himself. "We can take it seriously because it's just for fun," but Yuuma's problem is that he takes it too seriously and forgets that it's supposed to be for fun.
  • Fumina's gone from being a decent fighter in her own right to being barely competent when she's on her own, and is little more than a glorified power-up dispenser for Sekai and Yuuma. She needs to figure out a way to get those two to work together so that she doesn't have to be the only one on the team who's capable of actual team work. She also needs to learn how to fight with her own strength instead of relying on Sekai and Yuuma to do all the heavy lifting in the fights.
  • Sekai's first instinct was to rush in and start spamming Jigen Haoh finishing attacks. When Saga managed to dodge or no-sell each of them, Sekai's response was to turn to Fumina for a power-up, turn on the Build Burning Gundam's super mode (which he still doesn't really know how to use or grasp the full implications of) and try to keep on beasting. Which once again failed spectacularly, and in the process injured his arm due to the feedback from the super mode. Given Saga's penchant for ruthlessly destroying his opponent's Gunpla even after he's already won, Sekai's lucky Gunpla Jesus intervened in the fight when he did.
  • As soon as they realized Yuuma was in there fighting by himself, both Sekai and Fumina should have jumped in there to support him. Instead, they waited until he got owned before they made their move. All three of them don't really fight as a team; they fight as three individuals, or as two powered-up individuals and a core fighter that occasionally gets a lucky kill.
The team still has a lot of problems they've got to work on. I'm hopeful that they'll actually show them working on them and growing as characters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

W.T. Fits posted:

Having had some time to think about it, I'm actually pretty pleased with how the fight in this last episode turned out, because it highlighted pretty much all of the problems the team still has:
  • Yuuma, despite being childhood friends with Fumina, tries to do everything on his own, and when it's revealed he's not good enough on his own, he gives up and withdraws into himself. "We can take it seriously because it's just for fun," but Yuuma's problem is that he takes it too seriously and forgets that it's supposed to be for fun.
  • Fumina's gone from being a decent fighter in her own right to being barely competent when she's on her own, and is little more than a glorified power-up dispenser for Sekai and Yuuma. She needs to figure out a way to get those two to work together so that she doesn't have to be the only one on the team who's capable of actual team work. She also needs to learn how to fight with her own strength instead of relying on Sekai and Yuuma to do all the heavy lifting in the fights.
  • Sekai's first instinct was to rush in and start spamming Jigen Haoh finishing attacks. When Saga managed to dodge or no-sell each of them, Sekai's response was to turn to Fumina for a power-up, turn on the Build Burning Gundam's super mode (which he still doesn't really know how to use or grasp the full implications of) and try to keep on beasting. Which once again failed spectacularly, and in the process injured his arm due to the feedback from the super mode. Given Saga's penchant for ruthlessly destroying his opponent's Gunpla even after he's already won, Sekai's lucky Gunpla Jesus intervened in the fight when he did.
  • As soon as they realized Yuuma was in there fighting by himself, both Sekai and Fumina should have jumped in there to support him. Instead, they waited until he got owned before they made their move. All three of them don't really fight as a team; they fight as three individuals, or as two powered-up individuals and a core fighter that occasionally gets a lucky kill.
The team still has a lot of problems they've got to work on. I'm hopeful that they'll actually show them working on them and growing as characters.

A lot of this just highlights why it was a bad fight though. We're halfway through the series now, and they're in the nationals. It's pretty bad to drag out the whole "oh they don't work well together yet" thing when they've been playing and hanging out together for months already. And we already know Fumina's perfectly capable of fighting with a wide variety of weaponry competently, as well as being capable of tactical planning. That got scrapped for making Sekai look badass instead. As for the problem with Yuuma's big serious emo bouts, it's a real damper in a series that's built on having fun. When it turns up, it just drags down everything else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it would help if Fumina's idea of teamwork wasn't taking herself out of the fight. I mean it is teamwork in a MOBA Support kind of way but that doesn't really make sense in 3 v (x) battles where losing a single member should be pretty serious.

This could be alleviated if Fumina's Core Fighter didn't have a strange habit of vanishing into the ether once she Winning Roads. It may not be a serious combat wombat but everyone seems to forget it exists which should at least allow her to shoot guys in the back instead of hovering around offscreen until Sekai shoves his fist into it. The original Core Fighters in Mobile Suit Gundam were significant fighters. Amuro took down Zakus and once a Gouf in his. (And that was prior to the Core Booster existing which made the Core Fighter equivalent to the Gundam in power output and firepower.) The EZ-8 fight made more sense for that than anything.

Edit: Actually, that would be a pretty sweet trick for Winning Gundam. Let it become a Core Booster for itself.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 19, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think Lady might knock some sense into Fumina in the next episode because she really hasn't been acting like the teams leader in a long time. You can also have a support unit that doesn't automatically take you out mostly of the fight, like Suga's g-bomber is considered a support unit in-universe. Although they winnings head fighter could probably be integrated into fights as it is, they dont seem to want to have to go through the trouble of actually having to animate it. Which is probably why you dont actually scenes with more than two suits at any time on screen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think Lady might knock some sense into Fumina in the next episode because she really hasn't been acting like the teams leader in a long time. You can also have a support unit that doesn't automatically take you out mostly of the fight, like Suga's g-bomber is considered a support unit in-universe. Although they winnings head fighter could probably be integrated into fights as it is, they dont seem to want to have to go through the trouble of actually having to animate it. Which is probably why you dont actually scenes with more than two suits at any time on screen.

Yeah, I honestly feel like the Winning and Lightning suffer from writing, choreography, and budget problems combining.

Lightning is created in such a way that it can reasonably 'stand back and snipe' which allows them to avoid animating it doing the cool high-speed tricks you'd expect of a transforming sniper unit. The latest episode was really the closest we came. Winning is designed so they can remove a unit from the field as soon as possible to avoid animating it. Even when it is in Winning mode they barely animate it (and it being an SD Gundam helps with that since it just being kinda still-dragged across the screen looks a bit less awkward.)

And I think they're not making an entirely wrong decision there. The fight quality and fight choreography take a really noticable leap upwards when they're down to two units. Everyone on the staff just feels more comfortable with 1v1 battles it seems. I feel like in a perfect world it wouldn't be an issue but with foreknowledge of potential problems they crafted the show in such a way to minimize the budget issues at the cost of protagonists. Hopefully they have a plan in mind for the second half and the first half way just them treading water.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A lot of this just highlights why it was a bad fight though. We're halfway through the series now, and they're in the nationals. It's pretty bad to drag out the whole "oh they don't work well together yet" thing when they've been playing and hanging out together for months already.

So your complaint is that even though we're just now approaching the halfway point of the series, all three of them should have already finished their respective character arcs and had all their development. Even though we've still got, what, 14 episodes left to go?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget that the Lightning was entirely designed around countering the guy's Gundam. Which makes no loving sense in hindsight considering he built it before he started playing Gunpla Battle again.

I thought Yuuma said that he put basically his best efforts in the lightning, not that he built it specifically to beat that suit.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

W.T. Fits posted:

So your complaint is that even though we're just now approaching the halfway point of the series, all three of them should have already finished their respective character arcs and had all their development. Even though we've still got, what, 14 episodes left to go?

I'd rather the character arcs be short and sweet and we can get (back?) to the cast being goofballs and goons at each other interspersed with miniature giant robots fighting.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I'd rather the character arcs be short and sweet and we can get (back?) to the cast being goofballs and goons at each other interspersed with miniature giant robots fighting.

Heck that's what the first season did. I feel like the main reason Try is running into this problem when the original avoided it is because it's showing the weakness of spending too much time on a single shallow character. The first season's characters didn't exactly have a whole lot of depth to them but they made up for that by having a fairly sizable group of fun, diverse characters. And any time they were truly serious it didn't last long. I am pretty sure at this point they have spent more time on Yuuma's generic angst than the first season did with Sei being crappy at gunpla battles (and considering how they awkwardly wrapped that plot point up real fast at the very end, I'm glad they didn't dwell on it too much).

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
The problem with teamwork issues is why have them now? What would the actual payoff be? Why couldn't have team issues come up during the tourney where it would have made sense and not where its clear they've been together long enough to win something on the district level? They've been hanging out enough that Sekai knows something gundam related despite his clear lack of interest in the franchise.

Teamwork problems would have made Winning Road feel a little more special! Like if they actually needed to have a certain level of sync to use it. Having these sort of problems now pretty much devalues the qualifier round, which should have been the first major shonen hurdle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair, it seems like the Gunpla world as a whole is completely full of scrublords and BF classic was just an unusual situation where there were a boatload of unexpected skilled players.

Since then nobody (including Sei and Fellini) has been able to defeat the Gunpla Academy students and we have dudes who win by having a shitpile robot 3v1 their enemies or who win only as long as the random field gets them a water match. Seems like as of Try the average skill level in the Gunpla Arena is rock-bottom.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, it seems like the Gunpla world as a whole is completely full of scrublords and BF classic was just an unusual situation where there were a boatload of unexpected skilled players.

Since then nobody (including Sei and Fellini) has been able to defeat the Gunpla Academy students and we have dudes who win by having a shitpile robot 3v1 their enemies or who win only as long as the random field gets them a water match. Seems like as of Try the average skill level in the Gunpla Arena is rock-bottom.

Gunpla Academy dudes seem to focus mostly on the National level tournaments. The World Tourney's a more open field, although Tatsuya is apparently three-time consecutive champion.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

S1s nationals levels was grade A scrublord material (If you remove Tatsuya). There's was more competition in the regionals at west tokyo than there, and west tokyo apparently has a poo poo gunpla battle scene when compared to other regions.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Back in the golden days of BF, everyone who played Gunpla battle was a real Gundam fan who went above and beyond to get into the role. But now, now it's all just a bunch of whippersnappers messing around with crappy builds in this newfangled "Model Damage B" craziness. You don't even see people cosplaying anymore, just the occasional perfect clone. It's all a sign that this sport is going to hell, you mark my words. :corsair:

Really though, a lot of the changes to the sport do make sense in the scope of "once niche thing massively expanded in popularity".

KoB
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Sei fought against full on adults, literally anyone. Try is all about middleschoolers.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

KoB posted:

Sei fought against full on adults, literally anyone. Try is all about middleschoolers.

High schoolers, too; remember, they were in the "under 19" tournament, and Sudou said it was his last year to try and make it to nationals.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

I thought Yuuma said that he put basically his best efforts in the lightning, not that he built it specifically to beat that suit.

He actually says he's put the last two years into mentally rehearsing how to beat Saga's attacks. :emo:

W.T. Fits posted:

It worked for Sei and Reiji :shrug:. Working together as a coherent team should not be the end-point of a series about team-based combat. It's something that should be done and over ASAP because otherwise it just makes no sense as a story arc when they've been crushing more experienced tournament teams in consistent 3-0 victories.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 20, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

My fondest wish right now is that Lady turns out to be a Fellini for a new generation, because Fumina needs a mentor the way Fellini was to Reiji, and because Fellini was by far the best character in BF1 and Lady being as big of a drunk (well, not, because I guess she's somehow in high school) and gundam-obsessed goony goon would be hilarious.

I just want more Fellini, drat it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

No but seriously, when was the last time somebody came dressed up for their kit? Build mkII wrecking the Double X wouldn't have been nearly as funny if the pilot and his buddies hadn't come in Jamil Neate cosplay. And I'm sure we all remember the glory of movie Tieria.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
That's honestly the shows greatest weakness right now. The only way people seem to enjoy Gunpla is through making them fight. It wasn't until the race we got a little "I forgot how fun it was just to build them!" line from Yuuma. Even the guy who is a dedicated builder just wants to do it to beat someone else (and get girls.). I mean, the show is still goofy when it wants to be but they're pushing Gunpla Battle more than Gundam in itself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There needs to be a team that's Judeau and Roux and Elle in horrible clusterfucks gunplas, like the Zeta-Zaku but worse. And they're complete trolls all the time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BlitzBlast posted:

No but seriously, when was the last time somebody came dressed up for their kit? Build mkII wrecking the Double X wouldn't have been nearly as funny if the pilot and his buddies hadn't come in Jamil Neate cosplay. And I'm sure we all remember the glory of movie Tieria.

The Doggorla V Gundam Mobile Armor team were dressed up in scuba suits(because the Doggorla in V was originally deployed in the ocean) and of course Team Free were in swimwear.

I don't recall any really specific character cosplays in Try, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The sad thing is though, we're probably not going to get anything nearly as fun as the World Tournament with BF-Try's National Tournament. They broke up the fights with some fun gimmick matches (Baseball :allears:), but I'd bet good money we're looking at straight fights all the way this time.

Yosuke posted:

That's honestly the shows greatest weakness right now. The only way people seem to enjoy Gunpla is through making them fight. It wasn't until the race we got a little "I forgot how fun it was just to build them!" line from Yuuma. Even the guy who is a dedicated builder just wants to do it to beat someone else (and get girls.). I mean, the show is still goofy when it wants to be but they're pushing Gunpla Battle more than Gundam in itself.

And it's probably all the worse when you've just had your fanbase go through the first series being told it's a hobby and all about fun. But whoops, no, now it's super-serial you guys!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Sunrise needs new executives

Quad Cape
Dec 24, 2012
with winning knuckle defeated and winning launcher useless its finally time to channel another sunrise property

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwLg4tYvg0k&t=36s

winning hammer, plavsky ni narrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Honorable warrior Sekai would kill himself before he used a weapon as uncouth as a hammer.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I still don't know what to think about those early quotes from the writers saying that they understood there were complaints about Build Knuckle in S1 and that Bloodhounds was one of the most popular episodes.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

BlitzBlast posted:

I still don't know what to think about those early quotes from the writers saying that they understood there were complaints about Build Knuckle in S1 and that Bloodhounds was one of the most popular episodes.

It means the executives learned to use 3 different finishing moves instead of 1 and that they shouldn't pay any attention to the hobby aspects of gunpla in favor to over-focusing on fights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Bloodhounds fight had awesome poo poo with that though. It was the fight where they sent out *tiny plavsky army men* to plant bombs on their enemies and Yuuki defeated it by greasing up his Gunpla before. That's the kind of poo poo we need to have come back!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

The Bloodhounds fight had awesome poo poo with that though.

The flamenco stinger at the climax of that fight is one of my absolute favorite moments in the entire first series. Yuuki babbling some overdramatic nonsense followed by doing something awesome while flamenco kicks in is basically Peak Build Fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

"He named his Astray Sengoku, but he fights with chinese martial arts!"

*nobody else cares*

• Locked thread