Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't know who I dislike more, Regina or Ben/Trilo. I mean, Regina's naivete and *~such beauty~* is really grating and she never really realizes what she did wrong, but Ben Woodman Is A Literal Pedophile.

Edit: At least Regina wasn't bad in Investigations 2.

If you'll hearken back to the 'Dahlia is a dirty teenage slut' chat you'll recall the Japanese age of consent is 14, putting her two years in the clear. It's still incredibly skeezy but I think Trilo was meant to come off more as a law biding cradle snatcher, like a dude in fourties dating an 18 year old, than an actual paedophile. And Nick and Maya are both like 'gosh she's do darn cute I kinda want to marry her too!', I just write it off as something that just didn't work at all in translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't know who I dislike more, Regina or Ben/Trilo. I mean, Regina's naivete and *~such beauty~* is really grating and she never really realizes what she did wrong

Regina paralyzed one guy for life and put another in a coma.

Did Ben even do anything in that entire case?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Everyone in that case was an rear end in a top hat except for Moe. Acro (related case spoilers) was the worst, since he planned this really elaborate way to murder a guy for revenge, and then when he's confronted with it he cries a little and basically goes "sorry, but I'd do it again". And everyone treats him like he's this tortured and tragic figure, but he's just a murderer who murdered the wrong person on accident and felt bad. Because he wanted to murder someone else.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
It's a bit of a point he acted out of grief and having festered in a room for far too long. Definitely a villain, yeah, but a more understandable one than many.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah you aren't meant to think he's right, but there's an understandable aspect to his motive. The fact that Regina didn't even realize what she'd done wrong frustrated me as well :shrug:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
He shows remorse, I doubt a case like that would give him the death penalty in most states.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

If you'll hearken back to the 'Dahlia is a dirty teenage slut' chat you'll recall the Japanese age of consent is 14, putting her two years in the clear.
I really don't wanna make this a debate, but while that may indeed be the case by Japan as a whole, each prefecture has its own ordinance, which is generally 18+. It's common in romance manga for there to be a 17 year old heroine, and a 20+ guy, with the guy going "Nope nope nope, she's a minor." Stopping any real romance from happening, but free game for the mushy stuff.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
2-4 Spoilers I feel Matt Engarde makes up for everything Acro isn't. He's a huge rear end in a top hat who just kept trying to one up his rival and just eventually pays a guy to kill him and then he takes his defense attorney's friend hostage for leverage. And when he finally reveals his hand, he pulls a wine glass out of nowhere. He's just such a dick about everything and then claws the poo poo out of his own face when he loses. Matt Engarde is a great AA villain.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Where did that glass come from and what is that brown stuff in it? Why is the guard sleeping? I think that he should be awake so he could say something about this. Of course he never does anything anyways.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It looks like a brandy glass so probably brandy.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Jazama posted:

Where did that glass come from and what is that brown stuff in it?

It's chocolate milk and he kept it in his pants leg. When asked about it, he just told the guard, "It's all me, dude. :smug:"

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Second appearance of the demon judge cutscene. Just as cool as the first time.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
I don't trust baseballs. They have those suspicious stitches. I don't trust footballs either. That menacing leather.

Jazama fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 19, 2014

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I love 2-4, it's one of Nick's most ham-fisted defenses ever. If it was any other prosecutor on the other side of the courtroom he'd have been done faster than one of von Karma's whip beatdowns.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

nftyw posted:

I love 2-4, it's one of Nick's most ham-fisted defenses ever. If it was any other prosecutor on the other side of the courtroom he'd have been done faster than one of von Karma's whip beatdowns.

To be fair he had someone looking out for him that would've made very sure that didn't happen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't know who I dislike more, Regina or Ben/Trilo. I mean, Regina's naivete and *~such beauty~* is really grating and she never really realizes what she did wrong

Well that's deliberately a character flaw, and Moe makes her watch the final part of the trial so she gets it.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
They actually animate the phone spinning.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
The judge believes that Pheonix wants to kill him.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Phoenix Wright's ancestor was actually a ninja assassin. I mean look at this guy's hair:

(yes I know Strider takes place in the future not the past shut up)

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Last minute help!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Terper posted:

I really don't wanna make this a debate, but while that may indeed be the case by Japan as a whole, each prefecture has its own ordinance, which is generally 18+. It's common in romance manga for there to be a 17 year old heroine, and a 20+ guy, with the guy going "Nope nope nope, she's a minor." Stopping any real romance from happening, but free game for the mushy stuff.

Didn't know that. Well I guess it's weird as poo poo no matter how you look at it then, no idea what the dev team were thinking with that decision

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
I like the way the case ended. I chose not guilty, Engarde claws his face saying that he is guilty, Maya comes back safe, and Gumshoe shows up with brand new injured sprites. By the way, Gumshoe looks super buff without his coat.

Overall I enjoyed this game. One thing I noticed is that none of the cases are connected with each other. Case 2 and 4 of the first game has DL-6. Case 4 of this game is a strong final case, but it does not really resolve any major storylines. I guess it shows the return of Edgeworth.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The third game is a bit better about that, though there are still a few cases that are just kind of out there on their own (though still good). JFA is probably the worst overall game about it though. The absolute king in this regard is AAI2, where every case is deeply interconnected.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Investigations 1 is also pretty good about it. At the very least they try to connect all the cases together, though it becomes rather forced at times. That prosecutor from the first case was part of the smuggling ring all along!! Although, he never actually does anything. Out of the main series games have Cases 2 or 3 ever actually been relevant to the main story of the game?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Investigations 1 is also pretty good about it. At the very least they try to connect all the cases together, though it becomes rather forced at times. That prosecutor from the first case was part of the smuggling ring all along!! Although, he never actually does anything. Out of the main series games have Cases 2 or 3 ever actually been relevant to the main story of the game?

2-2 was the set up for 3-5. I can't think of too much else right now though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Case 1-2 was pretty drat relevant.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Case 2 in AA introduced Maya who was kind of important to the entire series, but that's probably not what you were looking for.

Outside of that, not really, though there are some strong thematic ties between Dual Destinies case 2 and the final case.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You could argue that 4-3 was tied to 4-1 and 4-4 with the overall theme of kicking Klavier when he's down.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah, i'm an idiot. I completely overlooked 1-2. The introduction cases of the first two games were the irrelevant one instead, at least in terms of large plot progression. They all at least usually have necessary character development or foreshadowing. 2-3 is the exception.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Even then 2-3 introduced a location mentioned again in 2-4 as a clue. Though that might be stretching it a bit in terms of relevance to the actual plot.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If you want a good connected storyline, go play Investigations 2.

In fact if you want good Ace Attorneying, go play Investigations 2.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It's hosed up that there are people who claim to be ace attorney fans but haven't played AAI2 yet

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I don't think there was a single song in AAI2 that I didn't enjoy, aside from when the characters burst into song in AAI2-3.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

FireWorksWell posted:

I don't think there was a single song in AAI2 that I didn't enjoy

I thought the same, then I remembered it had that circus music in it

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

mabels big day posted:

It's hosed up that there are people who claim to be ace attorney fans but haven't played AAI2 yet

Considering the only way to play it before the translation was via a japanese cart and that's it is it really that much of a goddamn surprise? :v:

And even after you want to either have a flashcart or a beefy enough computer with emulator.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zaa Boogie posted:

Considering the only way to play it before the translation was via a japanese cart and that's it is it really that much of a goddamn surprise? :v:

And even after you want to either have a flashcart or a beefy enough computer with emulator.

It really doesn't take much to emulate AA games.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

mabels big day posted:

Can I get partial credit for watching the youtube translation?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

and yet my lovely laptop can't do it, and my lovely flashcart can't run it

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Case 1-2 was pretty drat relevant.

Case 1-2 and 1-5 are also linked by some evidence that seems completely irrelevant but turns out to be important anyway it's the screwdriver :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Strange Quark posted:

Phoenix Wright games are meant to be played in bed before sleepytime, like a normal person would read a book or something.

• Locked thread