Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Cactus posted:

That's also on my to-watch list, how is it overall?

Well, I think literally everything on Syfy is complete garbage and this was not as garbage as what I was expecting from Syfy, but still not good. Take that how you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I love me some Z-Nation.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Tomahawk posted:

Well, I think literally everything on Syfy is complete garbage and this was not as garbage as what I was expecting from Syfy, but still not good. Take that how you will.

That's kinda how I might have described the 100 last year. I'll check it out regardless because it's sci-fi, but it's nice to know I'm probably not wading into a total 100% shitfest.

e: I say this as someone that couldn't even bring myself to hate-watch Falling Skies this year. Goddamnit where's my Culture series?! Or Tripods re-imagining...

Cactus fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 20, 2014

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Michael Pitt has been replaced on Hannibal, once again bringing forth the idea that Michael Pitt is probably a oval office.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

James Woods Fan posted:

Michael Pitt has been replaced on Hannibal, once again bringing forth the idea that Michael Pitt is probably a oval office.

Michael Pitt is a hell of an actor and quite disturbing in the role. They better pick a suitable replacement.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Deadpool posted:

Michael Pitt is a hell of an actor and quite disturbing in the role. They better pick a suitable replacement.

Joe Anderson is his replacement.

But yeah he acted the gently caress out of his episodes. So not sure exactly why he isn't coming back.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Deadpool posted:

They already announced his replacement and showed off the make up.

It's the son from The River.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sober posted:

But yeah he acted the gently caress out of his episodes. So not sure exactly why he isn't coming back.

Joe Anderson is a fantastic replacement. That makes me happy.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Sober posted:

he was fired from Boardwalk Empire for "reportedly" but actually being chronically late, forgetting his lines repeatedly, walking off set randomly, getting into a fistfight with William Forsythe during the filming of a major scene, amongst other things. probably more of the same

e: and they also referred to it as Pitt's decision to leave back then

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 20, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

he was fired from Boardwalk Empire for "reportedly" but actually being chronically late, forgetting his lines repeatedly, walking off set randomly, getting into a fistfight with William Forsythe during the filming of a major scene, amongst other things. probably more of the same

Wasn't a lot of that stuff completely discredited?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Wasn't a lot of that stuff completely discredited?

his own talent agency fired him at the same time and released a quote saying something like "he is too difficult on set," so it would be strange if it were untrue

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

By "replace" do they mean replace the character with a similar one that fulfils the same role, or do they mean the soap opera version of that option, which is to just replace the actor, keeping the same character?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cactus posted:

By "replace" do they mean replace the character with a similar one that fulfils the same role, or do they mean the soap opera version of that option, which is to just replace the actor, keeping the same character?

Same character as the character is kind of important to the story going forward. Visually it probably won't be much different since there's a ton of prosthetic work involved.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I could see him not wanting to come back because he doesn't want to deal with all those prosthetics.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Aye Doc posted:

This can't be true. No one can get in a fist fight with Forsythe and walk away from it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

Probably. It just irks me when ignorant little twerps spout off about how bad America is when there are huge regions of the world enjoying peace and prosperity as a direct result of our intervention. Oh no, we tortured a piece of poo poo terrorist in a secret prison :ohdear: Well, that guy's buddies are playing soccer with the severed heads of the innocent people they kidnapped. Seriously, who's side are you on, society's or barbarism's?

Stick to trolling about tv duder, that at least catches some people.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ok, I hosed Homeland off to watch Ascension. I am now being invited to believe in the possibility that the crew that was responsible for the moon landings, with the technology they had then, built this:

I mean fuckit, it's friday night I have nowhere else to be and a fridge full of beer I'm gonna watch this poo poo until my eyes close.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cactus posted:

Ok, I hosed Homeland off to watch Ascension. I am now being invited to believe in the possibility that the crew that was responsible for the moon landings, with the technology they had then, built this:

I mean fuckit, it's friday night I have nowhere else to be and a fridge full of beer I'm gonna watch this poo poo until my eyes close.

I watched half an hour of Ascension earlier this week and decided it was best left for day drinking Saturday.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Deadpool posted:

Michael Pitt is a hell of an actor and quite disturbing in the role.

Seriously. His take on Mason Verger was creepy as poo poo despite looking like a homicidal Thomas Dolby.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

IRQ posted:

I watched half an hour of Ascension earlier this week and decided it was best left for day drinking Saturday.

I can confirm it is exactly that kind of show.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I saw this nice and ... colourful comment while on the internet today w/r/t Canadian television.

Honestly I think it's been getting better but there's a kernel of truth to that as well. Any other Canadians care to comment? (Or even watch Canadian scripted shows to begin with?)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool, I'm sorry, but in context you would appreciate this. I just watched the finale of Korra, and all I can say is :golfclap: to the creators for trolling the everloving gently caress out of the weirdo shitlord fanbase in the last 30 seconds. I can only imagine the glorious bullshit going on. Knowing how unrelentingly terrible that fandom is you should really watch at least that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IRQ posted:

Deadpool, I'm sorry, but in context you would appreciate this. I just watched the finale of Korra, and all I can say is :golfclap: to the creators for trolling the everloving gently caress out of the weirdo shitlord fanbase in the last 30 seconds. I can only imagine the glorious bullshit going on. Knowing how unrelentingly terrible that fandom is you should really watch at least that.

Goddammit IRQ. Stop.

KORRA FREE ZONE. I'm going to start giving out probations now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Canadian TV is super bad but they also produce stuff like Fargo and Hannibal over there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

Canadian TV is super bad but they also produce stuff like Fargo and Hannibal over there.

Canadian TV and shows that shoot in Canada are different things altogether.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You pretty much see the same actors and that same drat forest in Vancouver in all the shows.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

Goddammit IRQ. Stop.

KORRA FREE ZONE. I'm going to start giving out probations now.

Fine! Jeez we can't have any fun around here.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Continuum is pretty good and that one is legitimately a Canadian show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

Continuum is pretty good and that one is legitimately a Canadian show.

I have a feeling that anything that actually gets exported to other countries is probably not indicative of the average aired there. I remember watching the first couple episodes of that years ago and thinking it was about as Peak Canadian as anything I'd ever seen though.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Continuum is OK. I will eventually continue watching the second season sometime. But I hate how the show tries to make me root against the terrorists, who are absolutely right.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Finally got to watch Ascension, and holy poo poo was that a waste of what could have potentially been a good premise. A sci-fi drama set on a generation ship could have been a really goddamn cool series in good hands. Instead we got...that. I don't share the hate some people seem to have for it, I don't think it was completely awful, but it wasn't that good either. Particularly because it didn't loving resolve anything. It's clearly supposed to be a pilot for a TV series - which is never actually getting made, because nobody watched it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Spatula City posted:

Continuum is OK. I will eventually continue watching the second season sometime. But I hate how the show tries to make me root against the terrorists, who are absolutely right.
In that case, definitely continue watching.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mu Zeta posted:

You pretty much see the same actors and that same drat forest in Vancouver in all the shows.

I love when Vancouver shows have a scene at That One Bridge.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

It's clearly supposed to be a pilot for a TV series - which is never actually getting made, because nobody watched it.
The premiere drew 1.8 million viewers, on par with Helix.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Late Late show finale was pretty much what I expected, though watching it did make me feel guilty about not watching the show much recently because I always forget how much I enjoy the show until I'm actually watching it. As I predicted, all the cameos were part of a prerecorded video, save for a couple at the end.

So I guess it's time to start a betting pool for who the next host is going to be--my money's on John Mulaney, who I think would actually be a pretty good late night show host.

[Edit: I'm a loving idiot, I completely forgot that they already announced James Cordon, who I only know from his appearance in Doctor Who.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 20, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

James Corden is supposed to be the next Late Late Show host. Apparently all the Brits tell me this is bad.

Also yeah, I feel the same, but I also kinda wished Kristen Bell was his last guest. But apparently she just had her baby, and she did appear on Monday's taping.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Spatula City posted:

Yeah, one of my biggest issues with Continuum is that while I get the showrunner and writers have to make Liber-8 villains for the sake of the show, Kagame and Theseus are undeniably right about the Corporate Congress. At least they do address that a bit in the final parts of Season 3.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I checked out the Late Late Night finale just because I was on the Colbert high and I was kind of underwhelmed. I mean, that's probably not Ferguson's fault. Colbert was a hard act to follow and I've only seen a handful of episodes of Ferguson so I'm sure I missed recurring gags or stuff. Ferguson always struck me as interesting and kind of funny and I was enjoying him when he was doing his thing. But a long rear end Leno interview seemed really uninspired.

I mean, I guess it's late night so Leno is Leno and all but he's basically the reason I don't watch Late Night TV. And 30 minutes of bad old guy standup didn't really make me regret that life choice even if I imagine I might have gotten some laughs from Ferguson's weirdness.

I had a thought, has there been like ANY women late night hosts ever considered? I was looking over the list of people who will be guest hosting the show before the new guy takes over. And then the list of "finalists" who guest hosted before Ferguson. And then a quick look at the people they considered replacing Fallon with. Are ANY women ever considered? Chelsea Handler seemed to be the only name I saw which seemed weird. Like, none get guest hosting gigs or tryouts at least? I know the major obvious names like Tina Fey or Amy Poehler have been busy and people like Handler and Sarah Silverman are probably bad ideas on networks, but it seemed weird. There's gotta be female writers and stand ups and all those people on sketch shows and supporting roles on sitcoms.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Most female comedians are either super successful or not widely known by the general populace, I can't really think of any that have had middling careers that make them the sort of candidates that the networks are looking for when it comes to a late night show host.

If I had to guess I'd say that the most likely candidate for a female host at this point is probably Mindy Kaling or Aisha Tyler. I'd love to see Tina or Amy get a late night gig but they're too successful at this point for it to make sense to them.

Of course I also don't see any of the current late night hosts giving up their gigs voluntarily anytime soon, so barring an unexpected death I think we'll be stuck with the current lineup for at least another decade. Maybe when Letterman finally quits, we'll get a female host.

Or, you know, loving Jim Parsons or some poo poo :suicide:

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is a name really necessary for the 12:30 slot? I can understand 11:30. Those guys all seem to be tried hands and chosen successors. 12:30 seems to be a bit more of a crapshoot. Maybe I'm just out of touch but is Seth Myers a big deal or something? He's just the SNL Weekend Update guy, right? And the guy replacing Ferguson is that dude in the new Disney movie who I kind of recognize from Doctor Who? And did Ferguson do something after Drew Carey I missed? And wasn't Conan just a writer?

12:30 seems like more a crapshoot to me. And it's not that I expect a woman to get the job. It's a small pool of people who have gotten the gig so it's not weird they've all been dudes. But I thought it was weird that no women were getting token guest hosting shots these next few months or something. There's gotta be women on the same level as the Indian guy from Big Bang Theory and John Mayer.

I don't know, I just thought it was odd. But most of the transitional hosts seem to be CBS employees so I guess it's just a case of ladies like Alison Janney and Kat Dennings not being interested.

• Locked thread