Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Oh hey cool, they essentially gave us the Lancer, only made it not stupid-looking. Everyone wins.

(...except Rebel fighters)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Strobe posted:

This is the most pedantic objection I have ever seen, bar none.

I'm guessing you've never played a game of 40K.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I a, dumb but can someone describe the difference between standard, cinematic and epic?

Does this mean you couldn't use this ship in just a normal game? I'm confused :(

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The lack of pedantry is actually what makes 40k bad. It doesn't define terms anywhere and plays fast and loose with everything. Contrast to magic where everything is defined and you don't have that sort of argument.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CelestialScribe posted:

I a, dumb but can someone describe the difference between standard, cinematic and epic?

Does this mean you couldn't use this ship in just a normal game? I'm confused :(

Correct. There's standard (skirmish) play with 100 points and tournament rules and there's epic play with the large ships.

E: there's also tournament rules with the epic play but hardly any tournament ever does them. Maybe this changes that.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

CelestialScribe posted:

I am dumb but can someone describe the difference between standard, cinematic and epic?

Standard would be your regular, normal, standard-issue 3' x 3' 100 point tournament game. Epic is the format that allows Huge ships and is 3' x 6' with more like 150-200 points. Cinematic games are the campaign book type scenarios where specific rules and ship builds are laid out in the manual and where the outcome of one battle determines which one comes next in the series.

Obama 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 19, 2014

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

CelestialScribe posted:

No idea what Cinematic is, but Epic is basically a game where the squad points are really high (200? 250?, I can't remember). Huge ships like this and the rebel transport can't be used in normal games, just Epic (and I assume Cinematic).

I actually find Epic games to be really boring and overly long, and I hate that nearly essential upgrades for a small ship are included only with the Epic Ships. Sometimes, all I want is a few of the small ship pilots and upgrades, but no way am I spending all that money on the Huge ships.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Wow, the Raider is a completely original ship. FFG has just managed to add to the (presumably Legends) EU, and that's pretty cool.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

Wow, the Raider is a completely original ship. FFG has just managed to add to the (presumably Legends) EU, and that's pretty cool.

They worked with Lucasfilm Ltd., and it's coming out post Canon purge. Does that make it not Legends?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

They worked with Lucasfilm Ltd., and it's coming out post Canon purge. Does that make it not Legends?

I think its "safer" to assume anything from FFG is Legends until specified otherwise. There hasn't been any official announcement on whether or not FFG's stuff is Legends or Story Group/Disney Canon, but so much of their source material is Legends only. All the pilot names that aren't film characters, all of Wave 4 and a bunch of Wave 5 are Legends ships, etc. I think it'd be amazing if the Raider was Story Group Canon and popped up in a novel or comic somewhere, but I'm not holding my breath.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Carteret posted:

It's not in a movie. It's not a big deal if it's Legends. 99% of the EU is bad and not canon so I don't understand why people got upset when the already unofficial EU was rebranded. It wasn't demoted in canon lore or anything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chill la Chill posted:

It's not in a movie. It's not a big deal if it's Legends. 99% of the EU is bad and not canon so I don't understand why people got upset when the already unofficial EU was rebranded. It wasn't demoted in canon lore or anything.

Well it kinda was demoted. It literally is no longer canon anymore. The only things that are canon now are the 6 films, the Clone Wars, Rebels, and two novels that have come out so far.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

jivjov posted:

I think its "safer" to assume anything from FFG is Legends until specified otherwise. There hasn't been any official announcement on whether or not FFG's stuff is Legends or Story Group/Disney Canon, but so much of their source material is Legends only. All the pilot names that aren't film characters, all of Wave 4 and a bunch of Wave 5 are Legends ships, etc. I think it'd be amazing if the Raider was Story Group Canon and popped up in a novel or comic somewhere, but I'm not holding my breath.

There's nothing saying the Raider couldn't be snuck into one of the new movies in the background somewhere, thus making it a retroactively canonical film ship. With enough pressure, we can make that happen. Write your Congressman and Senator today!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

jivjov posted:

Well it kinda was demoted. It literally is no longer canon anymore. The only things that are canon now are the 6 films, the Clone Wars, Rebels, and two novels that have come out so far.

Well, strictly speaking, it's not "no longer canon" it's "when contradicted the old EU is wrong".

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
It looks like a pretty cool ship

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Strobe posted:

Well, strictly speaking, it's not "no longer canon" it's "when contradicted the old EU is wrong".

That's not how the agreement worked at all. Everything got jettisoned other than the handful of sources I listed. None of he old EU (now called Legends) is canon at all, even if it never gets contradicted. One can make the argument "if it doesn't get contradicted, it can still count", and that's all well and good, but it isn't how things actually went down.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jivjov posted:

EU was never canon. It was just a way for Lucas to get licensing fees. The movies were only ever the only canon and the line between Infinities and EU was thin if not nonexistent. I guess you could say that they were all demoted to Infinities. Practically speaking when you spoke to someone about it there was some implicit understanding that you were already talking about what-if scenarios. At least in my experience. Nobody ever treated it as gospel. I suppose it's like the apocrypha and how Catholics vs Protestants treat it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chill la Chill posted:

EU was never canon. It was just a way for Lucas to get licensing fees. The movies were only ever the only canon and the line between Infinities and EU was thin if not nonexistent. I guess you could say that they were all demoted to Infinities. Practically speaking when you spoke to someone about it there was some implicit understanding that you were already talking about what-if scenarios. At least in my experience. Nobody ever treated it as gospel. I suppose it's like the apocrypha and how Catholics vs Protestants treat it.

The old EU totally had an entire hierarchy of canon. Sure the films trumped everything, but there was a whole canon arrangement.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Right. Like I said it's similar to the apocrypha. There wasn't anything lost if it got demoted to Infinities because that's how everyone I spoke to felt about it anyway. I would ask if there are people somewhere who are seriously upset that Admiral Thrawn is even more of a figment of the imagination than he already was but I know the answer. :ohdear:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Chill la Chill posted:

Right. Like I said it's similar to the apocrypha. There wasn't anything lost if it got demoted to Infinities because that's how everyone I spoke to felt about it anyway. I would ask if there are people somewhere who are seriously upset that Admiral Thrawn is even more of a figment of the imagination than he already was but I know the answer. :ohdear:
Still don't understand why some people are so hang-up on Thrawn. He's a Gary Stu if there ever was one.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tekopo posted:

Still don't understand why some people are so hang-up on Thrawn. He's a Gary Stu if there ever was one.

He was ok in TIE Fighter.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tippis posted:

He was ok in TIE Fighter.
As much as an alien who's a Vice Admiral in a racist, pro-human organisation can be 'ok'.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tekopo posted:

As much as an alien who's a Vice Admiral in a racist, pro-human organisation can be 'ok'.

He told you to go out and blow up rebel scum, and provided some decent:ish ships to do so. What more could a pilot want? :D

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I cannot understand why someone would care about it. Unless it's the same people that believe statements beginning with "it was always my vision..."
We're talking about a series where the novelization of the first movie (credited to the director/screenwriter) and the first non-movie novel were both contradicted by the second movie.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I find it odd\interesting that they're releasing new ships from the dead MMO Star Wars Galaxies. Sure all this EU stuff is non canon now, but at least it still exists. You can't play SWG anymore.

I'm guessing they're going to do Bossk's Hound's Tooth now that they're doing Slave I. Did Dengar, 4-LOM and Zuckuss ever get ships? They should do Jabba's space yacht from Dark Forces.

Now that they're doing the new scum faction, I wonder if\when they will ever do the Republic \ CIS factions from the prequels and Clone Wars. I suppose there probably isn't much demand for those, but there's some cool designs in there.

It'll also be interesting when episode VII comes out and we get the new X-Wings and stuff.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Right. People have already made decisions about the OT cut they prefer and it's almost unanimous. This is the same thing. The main problem is that unlike these books which you can choose to buy or not buy, you have to go out of your way to get the non-special edition or the SE without the added scenes.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

can we keep at least 1 starwars related thread on this site free of endless whogivesashit.txt posts about canon?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

zVxTeflon posted:

can we keep at least 1 starwars related thread on this site free of endless whogivesashit.txt posts about canon?

This.

I probably read 50 Star Wars books when I was a kid, Rogue Squadron and all kinds of other stuff. I remember quite a few characters and things that weren't in the movies or video games, but I don't give a gently caress who got cut from the list.

All I want is that Raider and an excuse to run Vader again.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

zVxTeflon posted:

Hopefully. I do like that FFG is using some of their own characters from the rpg though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

zVxTeflon posted:

This text isn't canon, so stop talking about it.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008
The adventures of Garven Dreis, Arvel Crynd, Jake Farrell & a Rookie Pilot (ie my self insert mary sue) in 5 completely non connected battles are totally non-canon but there going to happen tomorrow anyway.

Taking the following to a local tourney:

Jake Farrell
- Push the Limit
- Outmaneuver

Arvel Crynd
- Outmaneuver

Garven Dreis

Rookie Pilot
- R2 Astromech

The A-wings are both C.refitted test pilots natch but its still an A wing Heavy list and I know there not considered competitive. Still looking forward to boosting just to look cool though!

Will provide a (Legends C+ semi made up canon rating) trip report tomorrow night.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
I've been thinking of what to do with TIE Advanceds (that's a weird plural) all day and am feeling like 21 point Tempests with free Accuracy Correctors might be a good way to go. That way you could evade every turn and still be guaranteed 2 hits per ship. I'd want to combo these with a high damage ship like a Phantom so maybe a 37 point Whisper with VI and ACD and 3x21 point Tempests? Sounds fun to me!

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

So I ended up with some miniatures for x-mas. My friends aren't into miniature games, but most are into board games. I was thinking of setting up two armies, and basically treating it like a board game. I could use some advice on what would be a good set up for people that aren't going to play that often. Besides the starting set, I have:

1 x-wing
Rebel aces
Imperial Aces
1 TIE Bomber
2 TIE Advanced
1 TIE Fighter
1 Imperial Shuttle

I'm willing to buy a few more ships if needed to make a better play experience (and plan to get a falcon and slave 1 whenever they come out again).

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So I'm thinking of getting into this rad looking game but is the Falcon a ship that I'm really going to want but will be super hard to find and when I do find it will it be stupid expensive?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AndyElusive posted:

So I'm thinking of getting into this rad looking game but is the Falcon a ship that I'm really going to want but will be super hard to find and when I do find it will it be stupid expensive?

There's another production run of Falcons coming soon

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

AndyElusive posted:

You will want one. It is currently hard to find. If you find it on ebay (or being hawked by a goon) it'll be crazy expensive. If you can wait for the slow boat from China which is hauling a bunch at this very moment, you'll be able to get it for $20.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh man, just a day after I said "Imperials probably wont get a big ship."

I am wrong and dumb. Also this owns.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know the Scum and Villainy stuff is coming out and now we have the huge Imp ship, but have they discussed anything else for the future? It seems like every miniatures game I get into eventually loses steam and dries up after a year or two.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know the Scum and Villainy stuff is coming out and now we have the huge Imp ship, but have they discussed anything else for the future? It seems like every miniatures game I get into eventually loses steam and dries up after a year or two.

Something tells me they'll do just fine with upcoming content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Good news! We are heading into year 3, and they keep showing us awesome poo poo.

• Locked thread