Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know the Scum and Villainy stuff is coming out and now we have the huge Imp ship, but have they discussed anything else for the future? It seems like every miniatures game I get into eventually loses steam and dries up after a year or two.

Another faction and an Imperial huge ship should keep things going for awhile. I am curious to see the direction they head into after that though. Do they have another wave of all Scum? or split it up between each faction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
With 3 factions now I can see them getting away with 3-ship waves, 1 per faction.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I hope they handle it that way rather than an entire wave for one faction.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I wonder if there's a market for selling huge ships without the little ship and the related upgrades / pilots / etc.

Tempted to grab this big 'un but only if I could claw some of my cash back :v:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CODChimera posted:

I hope they handle it that way rather than an entire wave for one faction.

Yeah I wouldnt worry too much. Not even wizkids is stupid enough to do that sorta thing

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

This game is one of the best released and balanced I've seen in a long time. I don't feel like any list sucks if I fly well. Its a good time to get in the game minus availability of popular models. X-wing kicks all the miniature rear end.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

gninjagnome posted:

So I ended up with some miniatures for x-mas. My friends aren't into miniature games, but most are into board games. I was thinking of setting up two armies, and basically treating it like a board game. I could use some advice on what would be a good set up for people that aren't going to play that often. Besides the starting set, I have:

1 x-wing
Rebel aces
Imperial Aces
1 TIE Bomber
2 TIE Advanced
1 TIE Fighter
1 Imperial Shuttle

I'm willing to buy a few more ships if needed to make a better play experience (and plan to get a falcon and slave 1 whenever they come out again).

Get the normal interceptor if you can just for Sontar Fel, he is one hell of a pilot and a normal a-wing will get you a few more options for them as well.

Apert from those play for a bit and find out what you like.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tekopo posted:

I'm gonna be taking part in my first couple of tourneys around January/February actually. Probably gonna fly Defender/Soontir/Shuttle. I'd probably do better with a phantom, but I've always wanted to try that list in a competitive setting, so I'll see how it goes. I think as you said, things will pick up when S&V are out.
Gonna quote myself because I did a couple of sparring matches with one of my friends that could join me at the tourneys I'm going to.

First of all we went for a game in which I had Dash/Outrider/HLC with Jan/Blaster Turret and a Bandit Z, against a 2 defender/1 tie fighter list. The Z and TIE were lost early on, then I lost Jan and Dash got ripped apart by the Defenders, taking one out first. The Dash/Jan list is interesting but it feels gimmicky and there is a lot that could kill the list really easily. Not sure how I feel about the 2400 now, tbh.

The next two matches were outright training matches for the tourney. We decided to discuss our decisions during asteroid placement/ship placement etc and it actually really helped me to slow down and think about my decisions. I went with the following list:

Colonel Vessery (35)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Targeting Computer (2)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Advanced Sensors (3)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

First match I went against a Fat Han List: Han with Predator, Millenium Falcon, C-3PO, R2-D2 and engine upgrade with 3x Talas. This went really well for me! Throughout the match I kept thinking 'ignore the Talas, go for Han' and I was able to get a lot of shots into the Falcon. I was the first to lose a ship with the Defender, but the 1300 (along with a Tala) was destroyed soon after, leaving two Talas, my shuttle and soontir on the field. I stupidly flew my shuttle out of the map after I forgot it was stressed and did a red sharp two, but soontir was able to take out both Talas (or, in a tourney, I would have just ran the clock out). Of course my opponent doesn't fly fat han as often as an actual opponent in a tourney, but it showed that the list didn't do too badly, as long as I focused my firepower on Han.

Second match was the same list for me against my friend's competitive list: Ten Numb with VI and Advanced Sensors, Etahn with Predator (IIRC) and two A-Wings Prototype Pilots with Chaardan refit. This one went well for me as well: Ten tried to go for Soontir and got a direct hit, but wasn't able to find him again as I made sure that the TIE Interceptor steered clear of the b-wing, while my Shuttle and Defender picked apart the B-Wing which was soon destroyed. I lost my shuttle after getting swarmed, but Soontir and the Defender picked apart the remaining A-Wings and Etahn. A good match overall.

Soontir got a ridiculous amount of work done in both matches, even if he ended with only one hull point left at the end of each match. He's probably the ship I find the most fun to fly currently.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know the Scum and Villainy stuff is coming out and now we have the huge Imp ship, but have they discussed anything else for the future? It seems like every miniatures game I get into eventually loses steam and dries up after a year or two.

I'd just assumed by 2016 they'd be releasing ships from Episode VII, with the next two movies every subsequent year to keep things moving. Has FFG ever made any official statement on whether or not they plan to embrace the new films? I never expected them to release any of the prequel trilogy clone wars crap, but that's more because it's a dark patch of history I think we'd all rather forget.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
This is going to sound stupid, but how do you fly defenders? I have one but everytime I've used it I feel like I would have been better off spending the 30-40 points on 3 tie fighters. I suppose I'm used to arc dodging with interceptors and defenders obviously can't do that as well so I'm probably not flying it right. What do ya'll that use defenders regularly do with them? Like how do you try and position them, what do you have them shoot at, do you keep them close or separated from your other ships, etc.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Obama 2012 posted:

I'd just assumed by 2016 they'd be releasing ships from Episode VII, with the next two movies every subsequent year to keep things moving. Has FFG ever made any official statement on whether or not they plan to embrace the new films? I never expected them to release any of the prequel trilogy clone wars crap, but that's more because it's a dark patch of history I think we'd all rather forget.

I think currently they only have licenses for the original trilogy and legacy EU stuff, but with the new Imperial Raider, I'm not really sure what else their license entails. It'll probably depend on what Disney wants to charge them to license out the new stuff.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

This is going to sound stupid, but how do you fly defenders? I have one but everytime I've used it I feel like I would have been better off spending the 30-40 points on 3 tie fighters. I suppose I'm used to arc dodging with interceptors and defenders obviously can't do that as well so I'm probably not flying it right. What do ya'll that use defenders regularly do with them? Like how do you try and position them, what do you have them shoot at, do you keep them close or separated from your other ships, etc.
In my list the defender and shuttle stick together and attempt to concentrate fire on the biggest threat. I usually don't try to arc dodge with them at all. You have to remember that defenders are 3 hull/3 shield/3 agility fighters, so they can take a surprising amount of firepower that comes their way.

Obviously it depends on your list, but in the one I gave above, the defender's aim is to get free target locks (thanks to Vessery's ability) from the Shuttle, which should help the HLC do damage if you focus with the defender. I don't have to keep the defender close to the shuttle, but it helps when I want to focus fire on something specific.

Usually what you generally want to do with the defender is be able to k-turn back and forth with an enemy, because then you are able to take advantage of your action/no stress on the k-turn. This can be tricky because your opponents will obviously avoid this situation, so it really depends on what you are facing. Deciding what to shoot at depends on what you face, usually, but focusing fire is always better than spreading it around due to how focus/evade tokens work, so generally you want the defender to stick with your main group of ships rather than trying to flank around.

Attempting to make defenders arc dodge is in my opinion a non-starter. They need engine upgrades and they can't really take PtL because they are ridiculously vulnerable to stress.

tldr Defenders are pretty resilient to 6 overall HP and 3 agility, just tank some shots and make sure they deal enough damage back

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Next game I get, I'm going to proxy the new TIE Adv cards and see how they go. I think they are going to be sweet.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Played my first games of X-wing last night. poo poo's rad!

My previous TT games have pretty much been soley GW products, and god drat was this game a breath of fresh air in comparison. I particularly like how quick games are to setup, and how a game can be as complex or as simple as you like really. Can't wait to sell off my warhams poo poo to fund a fleet.

That is my x-wang story.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Moola posted:

My previous TT games have pretty much been soley GW products

I particularly like how quick games are to setup

:iceburn:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Moola posted:

That is my x-wang story.

It's the best X-wing story.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Moola posted:

Can't wait to sell off my warhams poo poo to fund a fleet.
That's going to be a huge fleet…

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

People complain about all the chits and poo poo but I'd much rather that than dice that were meant to track HP and stunned results being rolled for shooting. Pro tip: put aside a couple focus, evade, shields, and target lock tokens for easier setup. Don't parse out and try to match target locks right before the game.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Not having to roll 100 dice for every loving result is really god drat neat.

All those little markers and poo poo are super cute and useful.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Moola posted:

My previous TT games have pretty much been soley GW products, and god drat was this game a breath of fresh air in comparison. I particularly like how quick games are to setup, and how a game can be as complex or as simple as you like really. Can't wait to sell off my warhams poo poo to fund a fleet.

That is my x-wang story.

This was my X-Wing story too. I played Imperial Guard in 40k, I could roll 90 dice for a single unit of guardsmen if they all lived long enough to shoot at something :negative:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
There is definitely something to be said for being able to buy a new unit and play with it the same day.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Oh man, I have been waffling about getting into this and that Imperial corvette is hot. Tie Interceptors are getting a re-release, right?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

There is definitely something to be said for being able to buy a new unit and play with it the same day.

Yup, opened up the HWK after playing a game with the core set and used it like 5 minutes after getting it out the box.

Super cool!

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Another stupid question: do you use damage decks per ship or just a single deck for each player?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Single complete deck per player.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

This a hundred times over. I love painting but sometimes I just want to play with cool poo poo straight away.

Speaking of which, it's almost Christmas and I haven't treated myself yet... oooh what's it going to be :v:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Moola posted:

That is my x-wang story.

Icon Of Sin posted:

This was my X-Wing story too. I played Imperial Guard in 40k, I could roll 90 dice for a single unit of guardsmen if they all lived long enough to shoot at something :negative:

'sup fellow GW refugees :shepface::hf::spergin:

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Icon Of Sin posted:

I've heard people complain about running a 6 strong TIE swarm and I just laugh at them and tell them about my foot slogging guard army.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think I'm going to paint an art nouveau piece on my YT 2400. I think a circle of birds and Leia would work.

Might try the same style for the decimator and fire spray later.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Potential BFF posted:

Oh man, I have been waffling about getting into this and that Imperial corvette is hot. Tie Interceptors are getting a re-release, right?

Yup!

This is your weekly reminder to bookmark this page if you are trying to track something down that is seemingly out of stock everywhere.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm getting a Decimator in a few days. How do people find it?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Leo Showers posted:

It's a Pretty Good Ship with lots of options. Don't fall for the ramming trap though.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

alg posted:

It's a Pretty Good Ship with lots of options. Don't fall for the ramming trap though.

This. The ramming build is hilariously bad, but they're excellent, if pricy and vulnerable to focused fire, patrol craft. Run them along the outskirts of the main dogfight while firing in with the turret, and use your other fighters to screen it and jam up the other squad.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

alg posted:

Dulkor posted:

This. The ramming build is hilariously bad, but they're excellent, if pricy and vulnerable to focused fire, patrol craft. Run them along the outskirts of the main dogfight while firing in with the turret, and use your other fighters to screen it and jam up the other squad.

Hilariously I had planned to run the ramming version of it. I'll rethink my list in that case, is the generic pilot good enough or should I really look at taking one of the two non-ramming ones?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Ramming may not be particularly competitive as a tournament list, but it's fun as hell.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Leo Showers posted:

loving solid. My friend was a bit disappointed at 0 Agility after I stripped his shields but his face lit up again when he saw the Hull value on it. Just make sure you put it on 1 or 3 pegs, its going to be encroaching on other people's space no matter what you do. Also,

Strobe posted:

Ramming may not be particularly competitive as a tournament list, but it's fun as hell.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Leo Showers posted:

Hilariously I had planned to run the ramming version of it. I'll rethink my list in that case, is the generic pilot good enough or should I really look at taking one of the two non-ramming ones?

The Rear Admiral plus Expose is my go to build when I'm trying to use it more competitively. Sometimes a Rebel Captive too.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Has anyone done well with the Decimator with Vader in it?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Tekopo posted:

Has anyone done well with the Decimator with Vader in it?

Yep, with gunner it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also, is Isard worth it? Four points is a lot, but one free evade per turn builds up to quite a lot of free HP, especially considering how many HP the decimator has. I guess it would be better against some setups as compared to others, but then again I struggle to think how a decimator can do well against a large swarm anyway.

• Locked thread