Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

LordAba posted:

Well, the elite slot generally sucks, minus some tricks with the snipers.
Solution: Bloat the Elites slot like there's no tomorrow. See Codex: Blood Angels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PeterWeller posted:

I doubt either will happen. They like to give every faction at least two choices in the troops slot. Sisters are the only exception.

In a hypothetical situation where Sisters are fully supported with plastic models, what should they even get as an alternative troops choice? Neophytes in carapace armor? Battle pilgrims?

There's apparently more Sisters artwork in the Exterminatus book. I want to believe. :gbsmith:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
The dynasty from IA:12 can take flayed ones as troops, and the immortals cannot count as the mandatory troops choices. I can't really see that getting folded into the regular codex, but you never know.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It would be perfectly in keeping with the Blood Angels release if they moved Immortals and Warriors to Elites, Flayed ones to Troops, and then released Pariahs as Troops. That way you could choose between the objectively worst unit in the entire game, or the new plastic kit.

The perfection of their marketing strategy.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 20, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Thanks for making up for the last page of awesome stuff with a poo poo post.

Safety Factor posted:

In a hypothetical situation where Sisters are fully supported with plastic models, what should they even get as an alternative troops choice? Neophytes in carapace armor? Battle pilgrims?

There's apparently more Sisters artwork in the Exterminatus book. I want to believe. :gbsmith:

They used to be able to take brothers fraternicus, which where pretty much cultists with the options for executioners (aka chainfists). From chapter approved.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I'd absolutely buy a sister squad, canoness, rhino and one of the 4x heavy flamer squads if they had plastics. Just such a cool anti infantry ally.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

LordAba posted:

^^^ Thanks for making up for the last page of awesome stuff with a poo poo post.

You're welcome.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Safety Factor posted:

Those both seem like plausible options. Another likely option, if we're talking one or two multi unit plastic sets, would be some kind of CC sisters with pistols and CCWs

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Hollismason posted:

I doubt they'll move Crypteks to a HQ slot unless they see a significant buff in stats or abilities.

Counterpoint: Sanguinary Priests. Got worse, moved to HQ slot, lost options. But that's not a nerf, because there's a formation that you can take with four Captains and a Librarian Dreadnought, amirite?

Safety Factor posted:

I'm not saying that I've got an alternate SoB codex 80% finished, but if I did have such a thing laying around, I would tell you that Neophytes and Zealots/Frateris Militia would be the obvious additions to give them some illusion of choice in the Troop slots.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

Counterpoint: Sanguinary Priests. Got worse, moved to HQ slot, lost options. But that's not a nerf, because there's a formation that you can take with four Captains and a Librarian Dreadnought, amirite
Counterpoint: BA tactical marines got a really nice kit with loads of cool bits and loads of nipple armour. That totally makes up for all the nerfs :v:

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
I've converted 10 Crypteks using necron warriors with Deathmark heads and Triarch Praetorian staffs, they even got some paint on 'em.

All of which guarantees that Royal Courts are going away in the next codex. :(

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Necrons own. I just ruined a game with that C'tan formation plus the new relics. Re-rolling ones to save is bonkers and so is a S/T 8 C'tan shard.

panascope fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 20, 2014

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

panascope posted:

Necrons own. I just ruined a game with that C'tan formation plus the new relics. Re-rolling ones to save is bonkers and so is a S/T 8 C'tan shard.

T8 is immune to S4 isn't it? That's pretty crazy.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It took two of my castellax and an archmagos to keep them bogged down in combat. That formation is silly good.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Sorry, Broken Loose, work sucks, didn't have a lot of time to time to post. Wanted to know if you want my nids if I die. I'm working on my will. Because why the gently caress not.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Well we know for at least their getting the new Necron Lord as that's been heavily featured and possibly a new Warrior box with different bases, but honestly , the models really don't need new models. The entire line is really close to just well excellent. As is the Codex.

Plastic Lord is cool, but didn't every necron player end up with a whole bunch of plastic lords when they built their annihilation barges?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

ghetto wormhole posted:

T8 is immune to S4 isn't it? That's pretty crazy.

I think it's T9 that becomes immune to S4, since it's traditionally been over double toughness before things become unwoundable. In 4th Carnifexen could be tooled to have immunity to IG in close combat unless they had a Powerfist, and then they needed 5s :getin:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

HiveCommander posted:

I think it's T9 that becomes immune to S4, since it's traditionally been over double toughness before things become unwoundable. In 4th Carnifexen could be tooled to have immunity to IG in close combat unless they had a Powerfist, and then they needed 5s :getin:

No its T8- that's one of the gimmicks of the wraithlord, being immune to bolters.

S4 v t4 = 4+
S4 v t5 = 5+
S4 v t6 = 6+
S4 v t7 = 6+
S4 v t8 = - -

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Cataphract posted:

I think it's a safe bet that Necrons will get the GK treatment; Some tweaks but nothing in the way of new kits.They got so many new models after their last codex release which really wasn't that long ago (Nov 2011).

If nothing has changed, then Darnok from Warseer has typically been on the ball with upcoming releases.

quote:

For now I don't have much but this:

Codex: Necrons to be released on the 31st of January
two clampack characters alongside the codex - nothing else

Which makes sense. Still would have hoped for an new Warrior kit, but hopefully Immortals remain a solid troop choice to avoid that horrendous warrior sprue.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

HiveCommander posted:

Yeah its not double, its 3 steps up for 5+, 6+, 6+.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

Yeah its not double, its 3 steps up for 5+, 6+, 6+.

Lord Twisted posted:

No its T8- that's one of the gimmicks of the wraithlord, being immune to bolters.

S4 v t4 = 4+
S4 v t5 = 5+
S4 v t6 = 6+
S4 v t7 = 6+
S4 v t8 = - -
Right, I kept thinking it was like WS in that regard

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

HiveCommander posted:

Right, I kept thinking it was like WS in that regard

Which seems dumb as hell to begin with. You have to be almost the best thing in the universe for a space marine to not hit you half the time, just like if you were only just a little bit better than them.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Also, Castellax are baller-tier with cyber theurgy buffs. Giving them an extra D3 attacks every turn is loving sweet.

panascope fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 20, 2014

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

panascope posted:

Also, Castellax are baller-tier with cyber theurgy buffs. Giving them an extra D6 attacks every turn is loving sweet.

Somewhat less baller when they turn on you. Speaking of which, Conquest's relic cyber-cortex (Cortica Primus) is unusable because there are no Mechanicus models with both cybertheurgy AND Independent Character status :bravo:

At least the other relic (Contagium Mechanica) will basically quickly devour anything with HP, especially squadrons.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 20, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Welp, decided I'm going to build a board today. Simple frame with plywood laid over the top in 3x4' sections with holes drilled in the connecting face to insert wooden dowels to keep them together when playing, or for easy seperation between the two.

Long term I might build a more robust frame around it, and probably stain it. Short term though I'm just going to keep the lightweight sections and use a Frontline gaming mat. For terrain I currently have:
- x2 GW Hill pieces
- x2 GW Forest pieces
- x6 GW Administratum pieces
- x5 GW Craters
- x5 GW City Barricades

If I get it all done up in the snow theme it should look pretty banging. Then I can take some hawt pictures of my Elrond's starchildren.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
All the formations etc.. are out for Shield of Baal Exterminatus.

Fleshtearers not Blood Angels get the 5 FA, 1 Troop detachment. Should I cross post all the info?

They got a pretty interesting rule with their detachment

Flesh Tearers Detachment Rules-

Can re-roll WL traits from FT warlord table
When a unit from this detachment charges, if the charge distance is 10 or more, before modifiers the unit gains rage, you don't have to move the full distance to gain the effect just if you rolled 10 or more

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 20, 2014

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

All the formations etc.. are out for Shield of Baal Exterminatus.

Fleshtearers not Blood Angels get the 5 FA, 1 Troop detachment. Should I cross post all the info?

Content is always worth posting.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I guess I mean it's pretty much a complete list of Blood Angels Formations, Flesh Tearers also have formations and the aforementioned detachment with 5 Fast Attack , 1 Troop. I edited this from another list as that one had like internet speak in it.

Dante's Avenging Host

Commander Dante
Mephiston
1 librarian
1 Sang priest
1 unit of Sang guard
Blooded Demi-company formation
3 storm ravens

Rules- storm of angels- reroll reserves for units with DS, DS d6 less than normal,

All non-vehicle units in this formation have objective secured

Formation-

Blooded Demi-Company

1 captain/chaplain
1 command squad (only if captain taken)
3 Tactical Squads
1 Assault squad
1 Devastator squad
1 Dread
1 furioso dread (only if chaplain taken)

Reroll WL trait,
Red Thirst (+1 Initiative when charging)

Formation

The Archangels

1 captain
1 chaplain
4 Furioso dreads
10 squads of any combination of terminators, assault terminators, Sternguard or Vanguard Veterans

Stubborn, ReRoll reserves, scatter d6 less, roll for reserves turn 1, can reroll warlord trait

Formation

Archangels Demi Company

-Captain (must be in termy armor)
2 Furioso dreads
5 squads in any combinations of terminators squads, assault termies, sternguard, or VV

-stubborn, reroll failed reserves, scatter d6 less than normal, if formation is chosen as primary can reroll Archangel WL traits

Archangels Sanguine Wing
2 Vanguard Veterans
1 Sternguard
1 Stormraven

The Vanguard Veterans get a lightning claw or power weapon free on every member
The Sterngaurd get either a Storm Bolter or Combi Weapon Free on Every Member

Strike Force Mortalis

1 Chaplain
3 Death Company
2 Death Company Dreadnoughts
1 Stormraven

Rules - Crusader , anyone who doesn't have rampage get's +1 attack at the beginning of the subphase if they are outnumbered

Archangels Orbital Intervention Force
3 Terminator Squads
No Restrictions
Must be in Reserve on turn 1, 1 Reserve Roll, Can run and shoot when they arrive

Archangel Warlord Traits

WL has fearless
counter attack for WL and unit
WL rerolls to hits in challenges
WL and his unit have objective secured
choose to reroll failed morale and pinning tests for your warlord and friendly units wihtin 12 inches
WL has preferred enemy

The one that sticks out is that Vanguard Veteran and Sternguard Veteran , that's basically 450 points of free poo poo. It's a expensive formation at a base of around 800 points but if you max out the squads, you get a tremendous bargain. 10 Combimeltas, 20 Guys w/ Power Weapons or Lighting Claws, multiple ways to start the game with basically nothing on the board and arrive on turn 1.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 20, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I wish orks got formations that consisted of models they might conceivably already own. Every single ork formation either sucks complete donkey balls [Ork Warband] or has an unreasonable unit composition that you probably don't have [5 battlewagons, 3 dakkajets, 20 flash gitz, 6 bike mobs, etc.]

Seeing other armies get reasonable formations like one character, two assault squads, one veteran squad makes me really salty, especially when people talk about formations as the new big thing that you have to get with the times or be left in the dust.

Like, look at that post above me. Almost all of those formations are made of a collection of units which would have been legal and/or reasonable to field in a single FOC at some point. Almost NONE of the ork formations look like that. :smith:

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 20, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah that's my main complaint about the formations , some armies have a massive amount of formations now that inherently give them advantages others don't have. Then you have Orks who got such a half handed set of formations. Like how is there not a Speed Cult Formation or a formation with 5 Dreadnoughts forming one unit etc.. etc..

That's the only problem I have with formations, I like them it's just unfair to all the armies that don't have them.

For example,

1 Sternguard w/ 10 Combimeltas (320)

1 Vanguard Veteran w/ jump packs, power weapons (370)

1 Vanguard Veteran w/ jump packs, power weapons (370)

1 Storm Raven (200)

Normal Cost : 1260
Formation Cost : 860

Yes, that makes sense. I mean it's a crazy good formation, but seriously no one just has a formation that gives them 400 points of Wargear. I mean go nuts and give them all storm shields you're getting a free power weapon.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 20, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

There is a kult of speed formation, but it's a biker boss and 6 units of bikes and 2 units of buggies and I think also a biker nob squad? It's the kind of thing that unless your army only did ONE loving THING you can't use it.

That could have just as easily been a biker boss and 3 or 4 units of bikes, maybe with buggies AND/OR deffkoptas? Or maybe swap out some of the bike squads for trukkboyz! I don't know, it just seems super unlikely that anyone can use ANY of the ork formations without buying 2-5 more boxes of stuff on top of the supplement.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 20, 2014

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Wait where is this Biker formation from? I've never heard of it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm pretty sure he means the Apocalypse formation.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Idk, the list says it's from "warzone armageddon"? or maybe "apocalypse", it's a little unclear. I'm just referring to the list I got when I googled "ork formations 7th edition"

edit: If I were writing formations I would put out stuff like

Ork Convoy
5+ transports
troops retain ObSec, all open topped vehicles in the formation deal S3 hits to the passengers instead of S4 when they get destroyed.

See? That poo poo's not unreasonable or difficult.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 20, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Those Blood Angels formations are pretty boss, especially if you want to just use the Flesh Tearers detachment instead for your Blood Angels, to get the 5 FA slots. The things that stand out are those formations that allow you to have zero deployment, something that's pretty powerful when mixed with Drop Podding alpha strike. That and of course the formation that gives you 400 points of free poo poo and makes Vanguard and Sternguard totally loving worth it.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 20, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Free combi weapons. What the gently caress. That's so incredibly good. Give sternguard ten of whatever loving weapon you want plus a drop pod, and loving delete units with precision. Don't get me started on free ap3 reroll wound weapons or free ap2 weapons even if they strike last.

Good lord. No extra cost for these formations??

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

None that has come up, it sure as poo poo makes them super viable. Considering that you can just invest 100 points into each Vanguard Squad, make them 320 and they'll all have 3++ from Stormshields. 32 ppm for a unit with a 3+ 3++ with ST7 power mauls on the charge aint to shabby. Mix and match with Power Axes, Power Mauls, Lighting Claws, and then throw in 1 or 2 powerfists because why the gently caress not.

I guess the Storm Raven is actually a extra cost , but I don't call that thing "extraneous".

The Flesh Tearers formation and Detachment type is actually super good. Roll a 10 or more? Get Rage. Although I don't think that's better than the +1 INI that the Blood Angels get.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 20, 2014

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Those Blood Angels formations are pretty boss, especially if you want to just use the Flesh Tearers detachment instead for your Blood Angels, to get the 5 FA slots. The things that stand out are those formations that allow you to have zero deployment, something that's pretty powerful when mixed with Drop Podding alpha strike. That and of course the formation that gives you 400 points of free poo poo and makes Vanguard and Sternguard totally loving worth it.
Don't have this be the new Daemons for you.

Vanguard are cheaper, but they're still essentially Assault Marines, with all that entails. They're an assault unit that still hits the "dies to a Battle Cannon, Exocrine, Knight, or Riptide instantly, before making back any of its points due to being a CC unit" wall. Give them Stormshields, and its 320 points for a unit that gets chewed up by Bolters as easy as a Tactical Marines. The issue isn't Vanguard or Assault Marines being crap in close combat - it's making it there alive, and the solution of handing out Stormshields hits the second issue of not making a unit so expensive it can't recover its points. It's less exciting the more I think about it, because even with free Combi weapons, you still have to spend points on Vanguard.

That being said, if you already run Assault Marines or Vanguard, go hog wild. This is the formation for you, since you get a decent perk towards something you were trying to do anyways.

Hollismason posted:

The Flesh Tearers formation and Detachment type is actually super good. Roll a 10 or more? Get Rage.
Orks have a similar rule on one of their formations, but it instead grants Hammer of Wrath. It is considerably less relevant than you might think, even with the Ork ability to reroll a charge die.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Free points are free points, giving the unit free power weapons and then only paying 22 ppm, is pretty awesome. I agree they're still assault marines though. I think the biggest thing out of the formations are the ability to do Alpha Strikes on turn one really well. Although probably not as good as a Centurion squad dropping in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Someone's commissioned me to make the Taurox into a 6-wheeled Tallarn vehicle. Here it is right before priming. Probably 2-3 more of these on the way soon, for a little fleet of them.

I'm thinking that an identical one, with a Catachan out the hatch, might make a nice addition to my personal army...

EDIT: Also, a while back my brother finished painting that converted Squiggoth I made for him. Don't remember if I ever posted the final product, so here it is.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 20, 2014

• Locked thread