Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

stillvisions posted:

I've sorta come to the conclusion that cheaper gear/more funds can be detrimental to making music if you're not careful, because it's more likely to lead to the cycle of deciding whatever you have isn't enough, buying another piece of gear, barely scratching the surface with the easy stuff it does, then deciding another piece of gear is the thing that will make it all work, repeat.

Yeah but the price isn't the real decider here. Something like a Juno 60 has about three interesting noises and costs way too much for what you get out of it. Where some cheap thing like a Morpheus is an endless voyage of 'what the hell were E-Mu thinking'. Barely scratching the surface of something is the main sin, it's usually after you're tired and disappointed in something that extra effort finds that really nice technique.

Totally agree with Flipperwaldt that the rule is A PET IS FOR LIFE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Anyone know of any similar bands to Kraftwerk, what with the all-electronic, kinda minimal approach? I honestly have no idea what to even search for, it's something I've always been interested in but never really.. found. The quirky kind of "futuristic" bleeps and bloops but with a melody. Last.FM, Spotify and Wikipedia has failed me and I don't know where else to look. The less vocals the better (vocoders allowed.) It's the kind of music I wanted to make when I got into synthesizers, it's certainly got a special place in my heart...but I only just remembered because of bonerjamz :downs:

And uh, here's some more bonerjamz inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNyG-xu-7SQ

There's also the rather new Metroland. Can't say I like them, not a huge fan of direct soulless ripoffs

Alternatively, if you fancy something you can't really classify as a ripoff because he was literally there to define the sound, you could try Karl Bartos's solo stuff, it's pretty good. Linking the whole album because the music video cut off that particular album is probably my least favorite song on the album and Communication doesn't seem to be on Spotify. What is on Spotify is his newest album which is apparently partly stuff he made back in his Kraftwerk times.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Basically the entire extent of proper electro and coldwave is dervied from Kraftwerk. Anthony Rother's stuff from the late 90s and early 00s, Dopplereffekt, Boris Divider, I-F, Aux 88, Silicon Scally, Rude 66, Scape One, Black Spider Clan, Experimental Products, Alek Stark, Electronome, The Consumer, Cold Cave, Le Syndicat Electronique, hardly even getting started here. This list is on the darker side of things I guess. The more upbeat side turned into Afrika Bambaataa et al. Some of that stuff is vocal heavy and some of it isn't. The coldwave type stuff certainly has vocals everywhere.

Obviously don't bother searching for "electro" since that will just get you a bunch of electrohouse garbage.

I'll add, maybe just look through youtube user DroidLife's videos.

breaks fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 20, 2014

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Your Computer posted:

Anyone know of any similar bands to Kraftwerk, what with the all-electronic, kinda minimal approach? I honestly have no idea what to even search for, it's something I've always been interested in but never really.. found. The quirky kind of "futuristic" bleeps and bloops but with a melody. Last.FM, Spotify and Wikipedia has failed me and I don't know where else to look. The less vocals the better (vocoders allowed.) It's the kind of music I wanted to make when I got into synthesizers, it's certainly got a special place in my heart...but I only just remembered because of bonerjamz :downs:

And uh, here's some more bonerjamz inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNyG-xu-7SQ

All of the mentioned artist, plus DREXCIYA
Can't do electro without mentioning them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN5ffrlBPrA

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm quite partial to YMO, although a lot of their stuff uses non electronic instruments (bass, drums). The compositions and soundscapes are fantastic though.

E: Michael Jackson covered them (behind the mask), so there's definitely value in their melody and composition. Also, there's a shitton of vocoder use in their works.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 20, 2014

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Sjoewe posted:

All of the mentioned artist, plus DREXCIYA
Can't do electro without mentioning them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN5ffrlBPrA

Yes! Drexciya owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E6EeyOkaRc

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

MockingQuantum posted:

Guys, I think I found the best GAS cure: Stop buying sub-$500 synths
Also because you take quite a hit on them if you want to sell them and getting rid of cheap unwanted stuff takes ages.

quote:

Alternatively, spend a day on Gearslutz. Never been on the site much before, but my god, nothing will make me want gear less than reading through people's $10,000+ pissing matches.

There is a studio pics thread there and every time I see a picture I think "am I willing to do a full swap?" and in the vast majority of cases the answer is "no", which makes me feel pretty good about how things are now.

The 20K synth dude is actually a pretty humble guy and he posts sound demos, it's the "well I have a vintage synth and you don't so you are literally subhuman filth but lol at expecting one second of music" types that are insufferable.

You are not a goddamn professional if you can not whip up a demo in 10 minutes. Either you can't play, or everything is in shambles, or nothing is hooked up, or you are hilariously incompetent at the internet because even eight-year olds know how to upload videos to Youtube.

Your Computer posted:

Anyone know of any similar bands to Kraftwerk, what with the all-electronic, kinda minimal approach?

Xeno and Oaklander?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CxUqzytLX4

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Still a poor metric. The only synths I have that cost more than 500$ are my microwave xt and my fizmo. Neither of which cost all that much more than 500. What I've used the most is my tg-77 which was -well- sub 500, what I used the absolute most are the rm-1x which was sub 200 and the gameboy which was sub 100. Equating cost with value is loving stupid.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Perhaps Im browsing the wrong (or right) forums, but I have never once read anyone making GBS threads on someone else because that person cannot afford a $10,000 synth.

If anything, Ive seen ALOT of the opposite - people making GBS threads on someones expensive gear, saying it was a waste of money, how they cant make music with it, how its not worth it, they cant write songs with it, they got ripped off, etc... basically jealous haters. Now THAT Ive seen in abundance.

However that being said if anyone has a link to where some poor broke musician is being mocked, post it on up.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sizone posted:

Still a poor metric. The only synths I have that cost more than 500$ are my microwave xt and my fizmo. Neither of which cost all that much more than 500. What I've used the most is my tg-77 which was -well- sub 500, what I used the absolute most are the rm-1x which was sub 200 and the gameboy which was sub 100. Equating cost with value is loving stupid.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that cost was a metric of a synths worth, I guess the focus should have been stop buying synths entirely, unless you absolutely need a change. Also I was trying to be funny in the fact that I've fallen in love with a synth I probably can't afford, and now don't want anything else. But I suck at humor on the internet.

On another note, my Korg ER-1 came in yesterday, and I can already tell it was a good choice for me, because I royally suck at using it. I think I may spend the next month trying to write "music" on this box alone.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Cleaner posted:

If anything, Ive seen ALOT of the opposite - people making GBS threads on someones expensive gear, saying it was a waste of money, how they cant make music with it, how its not worth it, they cant write songs with it, they got ripped off, etc... basically jealous haters. Now THAT Ive seen in abundance.

It is weird to me that I see a ton of mocking towards my friends who've dropped $3000 on a modular setup that they genuinely try to make music with, but nobody mocks the guy that spent upwards of $10,000 worth of guitars and amps that get touched maybe once a year. This is more an observation of my friend group than anything, but drat do people not take fart boxes seriously.

Edit: sorry for double post

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that cost was a metric of a synths worth, I guess the focus should have been stop buying synths entirely, unless you absolutely need a change.

Yeah it's true, I should spend more time with what I've got, I mea... oh man :circlefap:
I should cancel my internet access until well after NAMM.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

Your Computer posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_School_of_electronic_music
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%BCsseldorf_School_of_electronic_music

Then continued in early Detroit techno. The early Warp Records stuff feels like a continuation of this. Things like Bochum Welt, early Aphex Twin/Polygon Window, Autechre, and everything else in the Artificial Intelligence series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_Intelligence_%28series%29

Also, definitely check out Yellow Magic Orchestra for Japan's take on it.

renderful fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 21, 2014

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I've been reading over Korg's terrible electribe documentation:

http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=717

I don't see any way to set it up to sequence another device as part of a pattern. there is a global MIDI channel setting, but I don't see any way to transmit only 1 part, or assign a channel to a part. let along different channels to different parts. Of course, I could be wrong, Korg manuals never tell you all you need to know.

But if it could work it would be great to incorporate Volca sounds into my noodling/jams with better sequencing.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

I've been reading over Korg's terrible electribe documentation:

http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=717

I don't see any way to set it up to sequence another device as part of a pattern. there is a global MIDI channel setting, but I don't see any way to transmit only 1 part, or assign a channel to a part. let along different channels to different parts. Of course, I could be wrong, Korg manuals never tell you all you need to know.

But if it could work it would be great to incorporate Volca sounds into my noodling/jams with better sequencing.

i don't have my electribe yet (c'mon guitar center :argh:) but i've seen several people mention that each part is assigned to a different midi channel (1-16).

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Your Computer posted:

Anyone know of any similar bands to Kraftwerk, what with the all-electronic, kinda minimal approach? I honestly have no idea what to even search for, it's something I've always been interested in but never really.. found. The quirky kind of "futuristic" bleeps and bloops but with a melody. Last.FM, Spotify and Wikipedia has failed me and I don't know where else to look.

http://somafm.com/cliqhop/ ..IDM seems to be an umbrella label for modern kraftwerkish all the way to the most abstract of nonmusic microtonal blip blorping.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man, you guys are awesome. So glad I asked in this thread :neckbeard:

Panda Time posted:

IDM seems to be an umbrella label for modern kraftwerkish all the way to the most abstract of nonmusic microtonal blip blorping.
Intelligent Dance Music? That's gotta be the most pretentious genre name I've ever heard :shepface:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Your Computer posted:

Intelligent Dance Music? That's gotta be the most pretentious genre name I've ever heard :shepface:

You have no idea.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Is IDM still a thing? I'd hoped it would have died ages ago. Is the term "electronica" still being used non ironically somewhere? Are we still living in the future of late 90's?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Where's that interactive chart relating all the myriad subgenres of electronic music? You know, the one where I have every single album used as examples of the various genres that fall under industrial and have never heard any of the examples that fall under anything else.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sizone posted:

Where's that interactive chart relating all the myriad subgenres of electronic music? You know, the one where I have every single album used as examples of the various genres that fall under industrial and have never heard any of the examples that fall under anything else.

This is my favorite chart:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sizone posted:

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

e: jesus christ dat audio quality on those samples

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

e: jesus christ dat audio quality on those samples

I'm listening to the stuff in the Hardcore section now and laughing my rear end off. It's literally just distorted noise :downsbravo:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It's also interesting to note that "Speedbass" was apparently the precursor to "Soundclown"

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
EBM is where it's at. Just hard to decipher and recreate the magic behind it.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I don't know, I kind of gave up on the whole genre thing when someone told me there was a legitimate drum'n'bass subgenre called 'clownstep'.
There's no recovery from that.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sjoewe posted:

'clownstep'.

Well, I think we all know what the next synthgoon challenge will be after bonerjamz.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Sizone posted:

Well, I think we all know what the next synthgoon challenge will be after bonerjamz.

clownbonerz?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Sizone posted:

Clownerjamz :hf:

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sjoewe posted:

I don't know, I kind of gave up on the whole genre thing when someone told me there was a legitimate drum'n'bass subgenre called 'clownstep'.

"witch house" was my "goddamn kids" moment.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sjoewe posted:

My understanding was just that clownstep was jump-up turned to 11 and was more a joke name for it?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

W424 posted:

I can't tell if microgenres are supposed to be tongue in cheek or if just every hack music journalist wants to be the dude who coined a name in case one blows up. They definitely make me feel crotchety regardless.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

net work error posted:

My understanding was just that clownstep was jump-up turned to 11 and was more a joke name for it?

My dogs died because of clowns. It's not something to joke about.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

W424 posted:

Then there's donk music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukAb-ymiiY0

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Donk, New Nrg, Stupid House, HardTrance, it's all pretty obnoxious.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

net work error posted:

Yeah that's what I thought, too. Stranger names for genres have been legitimized though, I mean look at Big Room House.

You want to see some stupid loving subgenres, check out the Trap music thread in NMD.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I listened to HardTrance in 1998 or something. Can't argue with the obnoxious part, but it hardly qualifies as "kids these days with their nonsensical labels" anymore.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Trap music? Is that like when it begins like genre X and then switches into genre anti-X?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZJt6Gv4XPk
:v:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Then you haven't heard Mensacore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

EBM is where it's at. Just hard to decipher and recreate the magic behind it.

Fat bouncy basslines, metallic percussion and shouting. There you go!

edit: By the way MrLongHair, you can get just the perfect fat EBM bass out of a Korg Volca Bass. I'd post a demo but right now a friend has my unit

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 22, 2014