Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That would have been...ooh, I want to say early-mid 2000s. Like 2002-2003ish? They were definitely responsible for getting me back into the game big-time (I think the first one I read would have been the IA on the Night Lords), because I loved how they expanded upon the fluff presented in the army books.

I am not a financial expert, so I'll just hazard a guess that this is not a good sign of things to come.

You should have seen the curve this year. January 15th: 743. January 21st: 545.

The biggest drop was in 2005, though. Starting with 880 I think, and dropping to 400 something in half a years, 300 point drop happening over a week between March and April. The gently caress happened then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JcDent posted:

You should have seen the curve this year. January 15th: 743. January 21st: 545.

The biggest drop was in 2005, though. Starting with 880 I think, and dropping to 400 something in half a years, 300 point drop happening over a week between March and April. The gently caress happened then...

Lord of the rings bust. Been very well documented if you want to search for it, but basically GW were literally drowning in money and customers that one day just disappeared. Left them with loads of staff they didnt need, and the overheads caused by such a rapid expansion.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Yeah, a 15 point drop doesn't seem like anything to write home about.

As an aside, you would have thought that having that gigantic slap in the face in 2005 would have taught them some lessons about not going for short-term numbers pinned on an increasingly smaller customer base, but I guess nine years is practically an eternity when it comes to corporate memory.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

JcDent posted:

Kind of. Went from 520 to 505 (whatever that means) in two days.

Not much - it's normal fluctuations.

The only significant drop was on the 8th with the profit announcement.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Can anybody expand on the 2005 busts? Googling it leads to mostly, well, busts. Of elves.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

serious gaylord posted:

Lord of the rings bust. Been very well documented if you want to search for it.

I've searched for this and cannot find it. Any good ideas on places to start?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

JcDent posted:

Plus, when they update poo poo, cool stuff happens, like the new Lost and Damned (they also released free updates for them when new 40K editions came out). FW is a cool guy who just happens to sell miniatures at twice the GW prices.

Unless you live in Australia, in which case its about the same :suicide:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Loxbourne posted:

I've searched for this and cannot find it. Any good ideas on places to start?

As I understand it, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, basically they had a big influx of cash from getting the rights to, and selling, the LotR strategy battle game. Then they stopped making LotR movies and it all went down the pan lightning fast because no-one cared any more. Especially not about all of the extended universe and appendices stuff they were released to prop up the SBG which would otherwise have only really been 'orcs vs men and elves'. E: it's a shame actually because, as with the Hobbit, they actually made some pretty nice minis I wouldn't have minded owning for the right price. Shockingly enough, GW's was not the right price.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Didn't that also overlap with the unprecedented (even for GW!) hike in LotR minis cost? I remember something like a $75 box of three human-sized figures, for example.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, a 15 point drop doesn't seem like anything to write home about.

As an aside, you would have thought that having that gigantic slap in the face in 2005 would have taught them some lessons about not going for short-term numbers pinned on an increasingly smaller customer base, but I guess nine years is practically an eternity when it comes to corporate memory.

To be fair, this is nothing like what happened with Lord of the Rings.

During the biggest part of that, between two towers and the return of the king releases, they literally couldn't keep up with demand. One manager told me that no matter what was released, there would be the same people outside his shop who would come in, buy it and go home. Once the movies ended, and they ran out of things from the films to make that well just vanished. It wasnt a gradual dwindling of customers over several years like GW are experiencing now, it was like a switch was flipped and (one store I can remember) went from making 30-40 grand a month to 20.

They had to expand so quickly that it left them with a lot of company bloat, plus an excess of sales staff that were just not required anymore.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

They were even doing that crazy LotR partwork thing in partnership with DeAgostini when that was at its peak.

It was one of those dumb "build this model clockshipaircraft replica in only 500 weekly parts, first issue 99 pence (regular price 99 pounds)" magazines, except it was a LotR mini or bits with a little rules/scenario/fact file/painting/hobby thing every issue. I can't remember what the price was like but they appeal to the sort of obsessive collectors that will not cancel a subscription for years in the best case, but add hobby gaming to that mix? Probably raked it in to start with, especially since lots of the bits were exclusive to the magazine at the time.

In some way it also seems like the hobby gaming "induction" that GW's core line up seems to be missing now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
THe lotr magazine that gave a away a figure with every issue was the most popular DeAgostini magazine they've ever made.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I had a sub for a while I think. Got a bunch of old lotr dudes in my loft

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Im not surprised. The first issue had 12 orcs for $3.99NZ (£1.50). Thats probably the cheapest minis GW has ever released.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i'm sure this is old news to everybody here but i stopped playing 3 years ago at the tail end of 5th and just checked the store today. is there a reason other than the usual GW gouging why the most popular codex in the game increased in price 100%, and additionally is $10 more than every other codex, because lmao

also the GW website by default sorts by high-to-low pricing. subtle.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Hog Inspector posted:

Literally every online store does this by default

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

enri posted:

amazon sorts by new and popular

JcDent
May 13, 2013

enri posted:

Lol, I wish. That would have been majorly helpful when I was looking for my Infinity starter (normally, the starter is the most expensive poo poo in every faction, except for maybe giant stompy robots). It's really not that popular and some don't even give you the option.

Man, Hobit minis just have some sort of appeal I can't put my finger on. The only thing I know about the rules comes from 1d4chan and the game seems to be so unpopular, the rules aren't exactly :filez: and it doesn't a general neither here, nor in 4chan (is that a double negative?), and I'm not too terribly excited about playing LOTR. But I look at them, and maaaan, they look sweet.

Oh, and maybe a stupid thing I thought about : Forgeworld is extremely happy to show their minis unpainted, while GW has them done up to a level that is out of league for most buyers. It's somewhat interesting.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

JcDent posted:

Man, Hobit minis just have some sort of appeal I can't put my finger on.

The Perry brothers sculpted all/most of the Hobbit and LotR line, and they're some of the best sculptors in the business. So that's probably why.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

JcDent posted:

Oh, and maybe a stupid thing I thought about : Forgeworld is extremely happy to show their minis unpainted, while GW has them done up to a level that is out of league for most buyers. It's somewhat interesting.

Yeah, I think that there's something to be made of the apparent idea that Forgeworld customers are appealed to by an excellently sculpted blank slate for them to work their (presumed) artistic mastery on, while regular GW customers are better appealed to by a fantasy image of their toy soldiers already completely painted. It's a stereotype with all the pitfalls that a stereotype carries when you try to apply it broadly, but there does seem to be something there.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

The Perry brothers sculpted all/most of the Hobbit and LotR line, and they're some of the best sculptors in the business. So that's probably why.
After a quick google search I am now aware that the Perry brothers only left GW this year. I thought they left several years ago :shrug:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah they didn't leave in like a huff or anything they finished the product line. They now make their own miniatures as they've been doing and I guess are supported by crazy rich man Peter Jackson who commissions them to sculpt models from what has been said.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Hog Inspector posted:

i'm sure this is old news to everybody here but i stopped playing 3 years ago at the tail end of 5th and just checked the store today. is there a reason other than the usual GW gouging why the most popular codex in the game increased in price 100%, and additionally is $10 more than every other codex, because lmao

The failure on GW's part to correctly price their products for their market is still pretty much a constant as you noticed; what's changed is the codices are now made in hardback with embossed covers, and with much nicer quality paper, than the old softback books. Codex Space Marines is a fair bit thicker than the other ones, which would explain but not justify the $10 difference.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The problem is that nobody asked for for deluxe and super-deluxe versions to become the only options.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Well how else do you expect them to justify increasing their prices by 100%? They can't just say outright that they want you to fork over all your cash for their jewel-like books of magic and wonder.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

moths posted:

The problem is that nobody asked for for deluxe and super-deluxe versions to become the only options.

It always bugged me that people would buy the limited edition codices, completely ignoring the fact that, worst case scenario, in a few years the book would be obsolete and they'd be left with an effectively useless lump of paper, with some fake vale attached to it because it was a limited edition. From the conversations I've been party to, ordering a limited edition codex seems akin to nerd willy waving upon a new release ("Oh yes I'm going to buy twenty of those when they come out, and ten of those, it's the BEST new army in ages")

Funnily enough, I'm pretty sure it's the exact same people who end up on trading groups etc. advertising a "mostly unbuilt and unpainted army" a few months after the army's been released. I could just about understand it if the book had a bit more longevity to it but as it stands... eh... crazy fucks will lap it up.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
My beef is that the digital editions cost about the same as these super deluxe hardcovers.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Other company's digital offerings are such good deals. Most historical lists I've found just give them away since it promotes the core game, but oh no I had to pay $6 for a living, perpetually updating Khador unit list from Privateer Press. Every time there's an expansion, I just get the new stuff as added value.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

spacegoat posted:

My beef is that the digital editions cost about the same as these super deluxe hardcovers.

And look like absolute poo poo, too.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I don't mind having limited edition stuff and super boutique models, as others have said. It's nice for that to be an option for people who want it. PP does this well with special editions of models, 'extreme' versions, etc. Corvus Belli has the Bootleg range. It's really not hard to figure out how to do it without being a shitlord to regular armybuilders, presuming of course that not being shitlords is in any way your goal as a publisher of games.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

moths posted:

Other company's digital offerings are such good deals. Most historical lists I've found just give them away since it promotes the core game, but oh no I had to pay $6 for a living, perpetually updating Khador unit list from Privateer Press. Every time there's an expansion, I just get the new stuff as added value.

Yea this is what bugs me, I don't know how big Warmahordes really is in the industry but GW has to know OF them, right? They have to know OF people that do poo poo like this, where you can buy the rules and army lists and such for cheap because, ya know, the real money is getting us to buy plastic/metal barbies and paint and glue and whatever barbie dream house terrain they make and all that poo poo. The fact that GW seems to think their books are the big ticket items is kinda insane.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea this is what bugs me, I don't know how big Warmahordes really is in the industry but GW has to know OF them, right? They have to know OF people that do poo poo like this, where you can buy the rules and army lists and such for cheap because, ya know, the real money is getting us to buy plastic/metal barbies and paint and glue and whatever barbie dream house terrain they make and all that poo poo. The fact that GW seems to think their books are the big ticket items is kinda insane.

They know, they're just convinced that their competition will soon go out of business due to all the money they're losing from not having GW's impeccable business acumen.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hra Mormo posted:

They know, they're just convinced that their competition will soon go out of business due to all the money they're losing from not having GW's impeccable business acumen.

Don't worry, those short lived fads like Pokemon will die off soon enough.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

On a very strange note, I had the opposite problem several years ago when I was trying to get Privateer Press to let a Japanese company translate and release their rulebooks. At the time, Games Workshop had all the army books for free in PDF form on their Japanese website (they also sold print copies), to lower the barrier for entry. In a market as small and finicky as tabletop gaming is here, I thought it was a pretty good idea. Privateer Press didn't agree, and wanted to make sure they got a cut of that sweet rulebook money.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

S.J. posted:

Don't worry, those short lived fads like Pokemon will die off soon enough.
I remembered people telling me this when I was in primary school playing Blue version. Boy, did I show them :smug:
I still play them well into my 20s

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Hra Mormo posted:

Once the players awaken from their fever dream and realize that Warmachine minis aren't really all that jewel-like or wondrous

heh, the shoe will be on the other foot then :smaug:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Once the players awaken from their fever dream and realize that Warmachine minis aren't really all that jewel-like or wondrous

heh, the shoe will be on the other foot then :smaug:

Yes, the other foot of well-designed, competitive rulesets :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Pierzak posted:

Yes, the other foot of well-designed, competitive rulesets :v:

Well, yeah. If you're paying attention to the game, you'll forget about your tea!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

jigokuman posted:

Privateer Press didn't agree, and wanted to make sure they got a cut of that sweet rulebook money.

Had PP yet established distribution in Japan? The situation you're describing sounds more like they wanted to control their own brand, rather than gamble it in the hands of a fan translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

moths posted:

Had PP yet established distribution in Japan? The situation you're describing sounds more like they wanted to control their own brand, rather than gamble it in the hands of a fan translation.

The post specified a Japanese company, so not a fan translation. But yeah, can't blame them for not necessarily wanting to license it out. How did they eventually end up entering the Japanese market? (I assume they did.)

• Locked thread