Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm getting the impression that Lego made a new batch and they're restocking everywhere. I ordered one from the Lego store (UK) last week and it arrived the next working day; everything I hear of it is it coming back into stock at some store or other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus
Jul 22, 2007

My girlfriend actually bought one first without me there and then told me to go get another. The benefits of splitting up while Christmas shopping

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah all signs point to a huge run being pushed to stores, I doubt it will be rare after Christmas.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
For GTA people, Lasting Toys in Mississagua has 5 or so Research Institutes on the shelf. And maybe 1 or 2 EXO Suits.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Welp, I just sold almost all my Classic Space :cry:

I decided a motorcycle was more important than a box in the closet I never have time to open.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.

Sloppy posted:

I decided a motorcycle was more important than a box in the closet I never have time to open.

mods

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Sloppy posted:

Also, I got some classic space as a christmas present for myself..

Sloppy posted:

Bullshit. There is no loving way both of these posts are real.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Well, the Mobile Rocket Launcher and the Alien Moon Stalker stayed.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sloppy posted:

LOL if you don't do both :smugdog:

Also you should have sold it to me.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Sloppy posted:

They... They went to a good home, right? Where they can be built in the sunshine and played with all day? Tell me about the brick farm, Sloppy...

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Sloppy posted:

I have a motorcycle along with 60 Lego sets, so live the dream and get both, you will be much happier.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

They... They went to a good home, right? Where they can be built in the sunshine and played with all day? Tell me about the brick farm, Sloppy...

Don't build them in the sun where they will get sun damaged, you monster. Lego must be stored and played with only in the deepest, darkest rooms. Possibly the laundry room so you can get the cum off your jorts while you're there.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Thrift store hunting paid off decent today, managed to find set 8086 Star Wars Droid Tri-Fighter, minus the three droid mini-figures the set was 100% complete and only cost me $1.50. Kind of a repetitive build due to the wings but over all a pretty neat little set, especially for the price.

On another note does anybody like to collect the Bionicle sets? I found a sealed 8941 Rockoh T3 set awhile back and have been meaning to trade it off.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Yeah, they went to this super cool guy who has an ADU just for Lego in his backyard and he's building a giant Lego mural for his baby's room and stuff. The good life.

Rythe posted:

I have a motorcycle along with 60 Lego sets, so live the dream and get both, you will be much happier.

Play Lego, they said. Grow up to be an architect, they said. I did, it doesn't pay poo poo. (edit: but it's still pretty cool)

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
I went out yesterday to the Lego shop and picked up 2 Research Institutes to hold on to for my girls for when they are older. I have no idea if this set is coming out in full swing, but I'm not going to miss my chance again haha.

The message on Lego's website is so vague: This set was overwhelmingly popular and is no longer available for purchase. Limited quantity is expected at LEGO® Brand retail locations the week of December 14, 2014. Please check back for the new LEGO® Ideas set in January!

So it sounds like it's not coming back at all. When it says Lego Brand retail locations, I'm not so sure if that only means Lego Shops or things like Target/Toysrus. From what I am reading it was available to purchase for a short time at Amazon, and according to this slick deals thread (http://slickdeals.net/f/7535588-lego-research-institute-21110-19-99-target-on-ebay?v=1) you can get it from Target on Ebay, but not everyone has been successful. Target's website has it up for "Pre Order" to ship 1/1/15 ( http://www.target.com/p/lego-ideas-...gt_adv_xasd0002 ) but you can't actually Pre-Order it. So stores other than Lego stores are getting limited inventory. Looks like Walmart does have it in stock for shipping at this time: http://www.walmart.com/ip/42119959

So it's really hard to tell if it is just another limited release wave, or if they really do plan to flood the market with the sets?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Rathina posted:

When it says Lego Brand retail locations, I'm not so sure if that only means Lego Shops or things like Target/Toysrus.

Lego Brand Retail locations means the Lego stores.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Just a heads up for anyone in the Los Angeles area that is still looking for the Research Center, the Lego store in Glendale had at least a dozen when I went in yesterday.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Well, my girlfriend and I were victims of the old 'tear open the side of the box and snatch minifigs' theft. She had bought me Benny's Spaceship x 3 from Wal-Mart's site-to-store pickup and when we opened it tonight we found the minifigs and the instructions missing. The instructions had been replaced with a stack of stapled white copy paper.

We noticed the re-glued box after we saw the theft. This sucks :(

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

So there was this time when I was unemployed where I tried making money off of selling minifigs and the rest of the set separately and this went well for a little bit but I didn't end up selling everything so I just broke even when all was said and done but I did manage to buy a lot with a dreamliner in it and sell that for a profit which was cool, but anyways one of the sets I didn't sell was some dumb star wars thing that I realized I still had from that period when I moved a couple weeks ago so I put it together because I couldn't be assed to get on ebay to offload it, which reminded me of how cool lego was, which got me thinking about lego, which got me into a lego store and walking out with an eiffel tower and that crazy expensive xwing and aaaaa what the gently caress is happening I used to be so good with money now I'm buying this poo poo when I should be saving for Real Important Adult Things like retirement or something

Anyways that's my story, thank you for listening lego thread.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
So what's the best way to deal with yellowing/aging bricks? My 787 is eight years old and it's starting to age pretty badly. The white pieces are all turning to a grayish yellow.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also does lego just invent half the star wars ships out now or something?

kefkafloyd posted:

So what's the best way to deal with yellowing/aging bricks? My 787 is eight years old and it's starting to age pretty badly. The white pieces are all turning to a grayish yellow.

Apparently soaking them in hydrogen peroxide was the hot tip when I looked into this a few years ago.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
That makes sense, though I am not looking forward to disassembling most of it to do that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Uh, it's lego, it's designed to be disassembled. :v:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

xzzy posted:

Uh, it's lego, it's designed to be disassembled. :v:

Well, yes, but the way the 787 was put together to simulate the Boeing house paint scheme was a very tiring and tedious build. It's a long series of 1x1 and 2x1 plates of alternating colors. It's just going to take a long time to take it apart and put it back together. :v:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Control Volume posted:

It's all crazy EU poo poo. Or it was. I dunno, I don't watch the cartoons.

I'd suggest you call the Lego customer support line and tell them what happened. They're really awesome about resolving this kind of thing I'm told. Assuming you're in the US, their number would be 1-800-835-4386.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Control Volume posted:

Apparently soaking them in hydrogen peroxide was the hot tip when I looked into this a few years ago.

And the key ingredient: Sunlight (UV)

(I am not a chemist):
AFAIK nothing will happen if you just soak the Lego in hydrogen peroxide and leave them in your basement.
This process apparently only works on white and light blueish gray pieces, since the boron in their coloring turns brown when exposed to sunlight. A red piece that has faded won't regain its redness with this process.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 22, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Neurion posted:

It's all crazy EU poo poo. Or it was. I dunno, I don't watch the cartoons.

I'd suggest you call the Lego customer support line and tell them what happened. They're really awesome about resolving this kind of thing I'm told. Assuming you're in the US, their number would be 1-800-835-4386.

Actually I'm pretty loving disgruntled with them right now. I got the Grand Emporium for Christmas and opened it early as both myself and the girlfriend are traveling to see family elsewhere, and it's missing an entire bag of Parts. I contacted customer service and they told me the only option was to exchange it at the store, but with it being a discontinued set I can't do that. I kept contacting them and explaining the issue and literally no one has told me any different now, so I'm poo poo out of luck and have had to order the parts on Bricklink.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Neurion posted:

We're going to try taking it back today to exchange it. The thing that pisses me off is that now someone could say we did it and were trying to scam the store and we'd have no way to prove otherwise.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Overemotional Robot posted:

We're going to try taking it back today to exchange it. The thing that pisses me off is that now someone could say we did it and were trying to scam the store and we'd have no way to prove otherwise.

WalMart has a pretty liberal return policy, you should be fine.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

PriorMarcus posted:

Actually I'm pretty loving disgruntled with them right now. I got the Grand Emporium for Christmas and opened it early as both myself and the girlfriend are traveling to see family elsewhere, and it's missing an entire bag of Parts. I contacted customer service and they told me the only option was to exchange it at the store, but with it being a discontinued set I can't do that. I kept contacting them and explaining the issue and literally no one has told me any different now, so I'm poo poo out of luck and have had to order the parts on Bricklink.
Ah, I'm sorry to hear that.. :smith: The only feedback I've really had is from customers I've recommended this to that have returned to tell me about it, so I suppose there is a sample bias towards the good experiences.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

WalMart has a pretty liberal return policy, you should be fine.

Yeah, they exchanged it with no problems. It sucks that whoever is doing that is basically getting away with it scott free due to their policy on returns and how they disguised the package to look like it wasn't open.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Overemotional Robot posted:

Yeah, they exchanged it with no problems. It sucks that whoever is doing that is basically getting away with it scott free due to their policy on returns and how they disguised the package to look like it wasn't open.

Wal-Mart's return policy is kinda retarded sometimes. Ever see a jug of Pennzoil with a broken seal and streaks of black used motor oil running down the side at Wal-Mart? It didn't come from the factory that way. :haw:

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Crotch Fruit posted:

Wal-Mart's return policy is kinda retarded sometimes. Ever see a jug of Pennzoil with a broken seal and streaks of black used motor oil running down the side at Wal-Mart? It didn't come from the factory that way. :haw:

That's less their return policy and more lazy employees not taking care of damages. I always check Lego boxes before I buy them to make sure the original tape that Lego uses is still on it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Control Volume posted:

They've only made up two I think, and those were in some Lego Star Wars specials. Everything is is from the movies, cartoons, or rarely, video games.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Doing handmade gifts for Christmas this year, so I started dabbling in minifig customization. The results were kind of mixed, but they're goofy and fun so I think people will like them.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Picked up 75038 today, and I noticed one side of the cockpit is just a little different than the other side. It kinds looks like the printer was starting to run out of ink, the detail is still there and opaque, but just less opaque than the other side. Should I contact Lego or is this standard quality for printed transparent pieces?

*loving mobile imgur site made it way more difficult than it should have been to link that image. . .

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 23, 2014

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I've got a 2.5 year old girl who is getting a handmade (by elves, of course) lego table from santa. I'm planning on using liquid nails to attach the baseplates to the ikea coffee table. Can I trust duplo blocks to get the spacing right between baseplates or should I buy some real legos for this?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

PuTTY riot posted:

I've got a 2.5 year old girl who is getting a handmade (by elves, of course) lego table from santa. I'm planning on using liquid nails to attach the baseplates to the ikea coffee table. Can I trust duplo blocks to get the spacing right between baseplates or should I buy some real legos for this?

Duplo is fully within the Lego System®. A 2x4 Lego brick will fit on two Duplo studs, and a 2x4 Duplo brick is as wide/long as a 4x8 Lego brick.

Why do you need to space them, though? Just butt them right up against each other.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Pyroclastic posted:

Why do you need to space them, though? Just butt them right up against each other.

You need to space them. If you butt them up against each other it will not end well. I suspect many people have discovered this the hard way.

This is specifically for base plates. Regular plates fit together fine.

You can see the gap here:

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."