Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Odobenidae posted:

This is completely anecdotal, sadly enough, because In my recent Abyssinia game the Abbasids, Umayyads, and the Sultan of Africa/Mauretania are all under 15% decadence and stable as all hell.

It's me. I'm the poo poo out of luck Abyssinian king. I fought like hell grow my little friendless Jewish duchy, seize the kingdom from my infidel king, and then devour Nubia. Now it's just shy of 900 AD and everyone south of Egypt is one big Yahweh-loving family. But what now? Rise of the Shia has fired 4 times with nary a rebellion in sight. The Abbasids span the map and have 4-5 times as many troops as I do, not to mention the Umayyads. I have no idea how to progress and I live every moment in fear of Jihad. Maybe I should build some boats expand into India? I just want to make it to the Promised Land :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Monopthalmus posted:

It's me. I'm the poo poo out of luck Abyssinian king. I fought like hell grow my little friendless Jewish duchy, seize the kingdom from my infidel king, and then devour Nubia. Now it's just shy of 900 AD and everyone south of Egypt is one big Yahweh-loving family. But what now? Rise of the Shia has fired 4 times with nary a rebellion in sight. The Abbasids span the map and have 4-5 times as many troops as I do, not to mention the Umayyads. I have no idea how to progress and I live every moment in fear of Jihad. Maybe I should build some boats expand into India? I just want to make it to the Promised Land :(

I'm in the same boat, but I'm a Miaphysite. I have ~10k troops while The Abbasids have ~40k , and they're only at 10% decadence. I've kinda sorta got a plan: I'm going to train my sons so they're good with intrigue and attempt to stab my way through the clown car. Now that I think of it, murdering only the non-decadent dynasty members sounds like it might work, rather than trying to eradicate them completely. India could work if you managed to get there, but I'm not even sure you can fabricate claims that far away. I suppose if you somehow made your way there you could holy war everyone and make gains fairly quickly.

The only way I survived in my last Abyssinia game is because it was the old gods start date and Egypt was independent, even though they had their own personal 10k strong mercenary company, those bastards. :argh:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jazerus posted:

I recall that at least in the early days he was an outspoken advocate of the "Islamic conquest was a historical fluke and shouldn't happen often in the mod, the superior might of the Romans would surely have put down Mohammed's rabble had the timing not been so bad for them :agesilaus:" school of, uh, "thought".

This is a topic being brought up on the "History of Byzantium" podcast right this moment actually. They brought Tom Holland onto the show and asked him a lot of things about that subject. He says its less like how the traditional story of the Islamic Conquest and more of a total devolving into lawlessness in the Levant and a Warlord named Muhammad comes to the forefront and later becomes the center piece of the Islamic faith.

http://thehistoryofbyzantium.com/2014/11/06/episode-57-why-did-the-arabs-win-part-2-in-the-shadow-of-the-sword/

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Monopthalmus posted:

Fabricate a claim on the Jain place, you should have just enough diplo range to get there. It's a hassle and a goddamn half to reign them in but it's possible, especially if they fractured a bit and Jewish MA is OK-ish. If you don't have Diplo range, well. You might reach that independent sultanate, then get the others, though if you get holy warred and the Abbs join in...

Same with Miaphysite I suppose, though they probs have less MA problems than the Jewish faith does.

There's always swearing fealty and breaking it from within though, especially if you convert, make some friends with other powerful vassals, then press for independence, but unless you're very rich and have the best duchies in Nubia&Abbysinia you're gonna have to hope that the Abbs haven't destroyed Egypt or have been forced to create at least some kingdoms.

It still irritates me so much. Every time I get wrong culture counties, I get liberation revolts out the wazoo but an empire controlling several dozen kingdoms gets none? The gently caress?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
My elderly king absolutely refuse to die until well into his 70s, which mean his son was over 50 by the time he inherited the throne. 50 years entirely set on Seduce, with the AI Prince marauding around loving everything that moved. 8 sons, and every single one a bastard. I had to go through and legitimise some of the more capable ones to prevent my line from dying out. That's when I noticed this poor guy.

He's far-and-away the least capable person in the history of the realm. I've never seen anybody with 0 in every stat before. He's like an actor in an informercial.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
For the 2:1 Skirmisher:Light Skirmisher retinue, I should be sticking all 3 of those in the middle right? If I have a retinue with 6 skirmishers and 3 light skirmishers, is it ok to split them up so that a 2:1 composition covers each flank? Or is part of the "gimmick" that they all stay in one column to inflict as much damage as possible?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Unless I've long been hilariously wrong about how battles work, you definitely want troops on all three of your columns.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
When I played as vikings, I just abused retiunes to give myself nothing but heavy infantry, which was utterly, utterly broken.

The early fight would see my guys lose a little bit since they had poo poo for range but once the fight proper started, anyone they were up against just utterly crumbled. Went mano-a-mano with the Aztec and the Mongols that game and sent them both packing.

Then again the viking heavy infantry had some ridiculous bonus to them on top of being heavy infantry.

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
I'm pretty new to this game, I've started out in Ireland, created the kingdom of Ireland and now want to press on into mainland Britain. One of my kinsman has a claim on the Duchy of Kent, but when I go to declare war on the King of England to press the claim, it only allows me to press two different claims for someone in my court but not of my dynasty. The option was there earlier but it now seems to have disappeared. Am I missing something?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

mark-p87 posted:

I'm pretty new to this game, I've started out in Ireland, created the kingdom of Ireland and now want to press on into mainland Britain. One of my kinsman has a claim on the Duchy of Kent, but when I go to declare war on the King of England to press the claim, it only allows me to press two different claims for someone in my court but not of my dynasty. The option was there earlier but it now seems to have disappeared. Am I missing something?

Yeah...a clue.

seriously tho, you probably only have a weak claim, which can only be used against females & regencies.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Unless I've long been hilariously wrong about how battles work, you definitely want troops on all three of your columns.

It's...sketchy. The enemy will always deploy it's army on all three flanks without fail, given enough numbers. It basically uses the auto-balance option.

On the one hand, deploying to all three means you're not taking flank damage yourself.

On the other, crushing a weak flank can help the other parts of your army more.

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yeah...a clue.

seriously tho, you probably only have a weak claim, which can only be used against females & regencies.

That's it thanks. The Duke is now 17 so I done hosed up here!

Is there any point to pressing claims for people outside your dynasty? I have a few I could press but as I understand it they won't become part of my realm if I win the war?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

mark-p87 posted:

That's it thanks. The Duke is now 17 so I done hosed up here!

Is there any point to pressing claims for people outside your dynasty? I have a few I could press but as I understand it they won't become part of my realm if I win the war?

Don't bother. You could breed those claims into your line if you wanted & they were juicy enough.

If the claimant is your vassal & the target title is below your highest title, the land will come into your realm.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
What's with the rancid meat? I keep getting this event where the food at my table is rancid and covered up with spices to disguise the smell. I pay 5g to find out who did it, then I never find out who did it. It just keeps happening. Is somebody trying to poison me in a really lame and lovely way?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Ofaloaf posted:

Franklin noooo

Kicking on CK2 after a couple months off in order to try out After the End- pretty stoked.

Are you guys looking for input from locals on regions/local heroes? I noticed you're right up to where I live, west of Kansas City. Gotta have John Brown kicking around there, and maybe a religious conflict that parallels Bleeding Kansas in general? Haven't played yet, so I don't know how well something like that could be modeled, but it's pretty much the only Larger Than Life lore we have around here.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Oh my god your dog can cure your depression cause dogs fuckin' rule. :3:

GOTY 2015, as well

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

YouTuber posted:

Since Charlemagne dropped I've been getting CTD here and there. I've been unable to pin down what the heck is causing it either. loving Linux :( I'd really love to try out the two new DLC. I've been playing EUIV instead which is in a really good place right now.

Same. It's a pain on Iron Man, since I can only get a day's worth of playtime out of it before it reliably segfaults.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
There any consensus on what the proper retinue setup is for HIP? I know they change up the battle tactics in that mod, so I'm not sure if I should be following the vanilla template

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My demonspawn daughter got murdered aged 17 - I know not how, with an Intrigue of 31 - and my super-soldier King died four years later in battle while snipping Aragon from the Umayyad Revolt. How disappointing.

So I bade my Nobble Button a sad farewell and installed 2.3. Is it any easier to keep Haesteinn on the continent? I've only tried once and got one of those ridiculous Catholic uprisings with three times my muster, which I thought they were supposed to have fixed. Would a culture swap to Breton make that any more stable, or am I stuck with having to beat up the Taffs for 30 years?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the only proper haesteinn playthrough is norse india :colbert:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
So what's up with this? I pressed my son's claim on the duchy I was in, intending for him to inherit my county. Of course the bishops and barons refuse to vote for him (I was elective), and thinking I'm clever I switch back to gavelkind - but for some reason the kid who should be second in line to inherit will take my counties:

(Ignore the oldest son, he's an idiot I sent of to the monastery) Is the duke-son not allowed to inherit because he's my vassal? Is there no way around this except murdering my innocent younger son? :(

EDIT: Just checked, the duke-son is indeed second in line to inherit. Curious.

Covski fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 20, 2014

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Covski posted:

(Ignore the oldest son, he's an idiot I sent of to the monastery) Is the duke-son not allowed to inherit because he's my vassal? Is there no way around this except murdering my innocent younger son? :(

He's not innocent. He's guilty of being an extra son. Get to stabbin'

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Doctor Schnabel posted:

There any consensus on what the proper retinue setup is for HIP? I know they change up the battle tactics in that mod, so I'm not sure if I should be following the vanilla template

Iirc the biggest difference in HIP is that they made they added "levels" to the tactics that depend on the martial score of your generals. Like a guy with a high martial can pull of a "brilliant charge" or whatever, and a guy with a low martial will get an "inept charge". The quality levels make a huge difference in how well your guys fight.

Bear in mind that, due to CK2 having the ability to despise the player hardcoded into the game, your 20 martial wunderkind general will decide to completely gently caress up his attack at the worst possible moment and make you lose a huge pitched battle.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

The best part is when you don't realize the 20 martial Welsh commander has a lisp, which makes him utterly gently caress up his Volley tactic.

:argh: "THOOT drat YOU, THOOT"

:confused::confused::confused:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Honestly my feeling on the matter is that if you're at the point where retinues make up a significant portion of your army, you're probably one of the bigger kids on the block and would be better served by focusing on strategic movement moreso than fiddling with troop dispositions beyond "are my flanks more or less equal in size".

On that note, boat bombing is still enormously powerful if you use it to create massive local numerical superiority. I had a Byzantine game where the mongols came storming into Georgia, and was able to turn a fair fight into a series of 3-1 curbstomps by keeping about 20k guys on boats out in the black sea and sailing them into whatever battle broke out. It's not like back in the good old days where you could wipe out an entire mongol invasion in one go, but its still worth doing if you get the chance.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 20, 2014

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

I wish I could seduce my own wife, it would make her hate me less after all those affairs. Alas, I'll have to find comfort in the arms of another *bones half of Christendom*

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

VDay posted:

For the 2:1 Skirmisher:Light Skirmisher retinue, I should be sticking all 3 of those in the middle right? If I have a retinue with 6 skirmishers and 3 light skirmishers, is it ok to split them up so that a 2:1 composition covers each flank? Or is part of the "gimmick" that they all stay in one column to inflict as much damage as possible?

Well it doesn't really matter that much if you're deploying them as part of an army made up primarily of levies or mercenaries unless you have a lot of them. In such a case then yeah you might want to concentrate them in one column, and fiddle with your army composition. It heavily depends upon the commander of the flank, the enemy commanders, and your troops as to how exactly you do it, but if you're fighting a battle that you feel you need to have every little edge in to win then it can be worthwhile to tweak things. For example, you always know the commander of the central column of an army due to the army's name, so if (for example) their low-martial king was leading the center, then you might want to shore up the center with your more damaging troop types, or the ones that you have a cultural tactic for or whatever so as to quickly blitz the enemy's center. If you do it right then you can take out 1/3 of the enemy's army quite quickly and be able to turn even a moderate numbers advantage against your enemy.

In practice, most of the time this is too time-consuming to do on a regular basis, but you can win against the odds through smart army composition sometimes.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 20, 2014

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Why are so many adventurers harassing me? I've already beaten off another 3-4, and now I've got three at once. I've got so many adventurers coming after me you'd think I was a demi-lich or a dragon or some poo poo. :mad:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Getting cucked is the greatest thing ever. I'm playing a merchant republic, and my chaste, gay doge is constantly popping out children with his wife, nearly one child a year. It's because she has 4 lovers, only one of my 8 children is mine, but I just keep choosing the "I trust my wife!" option, and thus get all the future adult males in court that I need. Who needs concubines when you can get cucked?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's just loving impossible to plot to kill anyone without it being found out. It's ridiculous. Even if you have 400% plot power the deed will get done quickly but it's still like 80% that it'll be found out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

Why are so many adventurers harassing me? I've already beaten off another 3-4, and now I've got three at once. I've got so many adventurers coming after me you'd think I was a demi-lich or a dragon or some poo poo. :mad:

People with claims will become adventurers, so the more people with claims on titles in your realm, the more trouble you're going to have with adventurers. I'm assuming you're Jerusalem in that image, so you've probably got a LOT of pissed off displaced Muslims looking to reclaim their territory. Or at least some of their many, many sons.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
If you're a feudal ruler, is there any advantage in conquering tribes? I'm assuming they don't provide much income or troops.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fintilgin posted:

Why are so many adventurers harassing me? I've already beaten off another 3-4

I'd harass you too for that :haw:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Disillusionist posted:

If you're a feudal ruler, is there any advantage in conquering tribes? I'm assuming they don't provide much income or troops.

You would be right. It's not a huge deal as you can just upgrade their holdings yourself, but if you have the choice to invade a feudal duchy or a tribal one, take the former every time.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's just loving impossible to plot to kill anyone without it being found out. It's ridiculous. Even if you have 400% plot power the deed will get done quickly but it's still like 80% that it'll be found out.

I think there's been too much emphasis on making sure plots aren't "overpowered." A lot of people just want to mess around in this game and have cool stories to tell. They don't want to be banging their heads against a wall, which is what the game feels like sometimes.

It'd be a lot better if we could tweak the difficulty a little more than we can right now.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Paradox cares more about making sure everything is balanced rather than fun. Balancing stuff around multiplayer made me lose all faith in them.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I really love the new Iberian portraits, I think this might be the best-looking character I've ever seen CK2 cough up.

He's so dreamy :allears:

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

cheesetriangles posted:

Paradox cares more about making sure everything is balanced rather than fun. Balancing stuff around multiplayer made me lose all faith in them.

We don't really have any alternatives, so they can pretty much do what they want.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I've got something like 200+ hours lifetime in CK2 despite the fact that the game is built around horrid random chance and MTTH mechanics. It's probably just as well (for me) that nobody's made a game with the same overall premise but with mechanics that actually involve player choice and execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so I can't use the workshop. I add a mod and then nothing happens. What the heck is going on?

edit: nevermind, figured it out. needed to enable cloud whatever

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 21, 2014

• Locked thread