Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
That Tallarn player is putting your kids through college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BuffaloChicken posted:

Someone's commissioned me to make the Taurox into a 6-wheeled Tallarn vehicle. Here it is right before priming. Probably 2-3 more of these on the way soon, for a little fleet of them.

Okay that's pretty drat rad. :allears:

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That Tallarn player is putting your kids through college.
I think I'm charging like $40 for the unboxing, clipping out parts, trimming mold lines, assembling, converting, materials costs, painting, and boxing for shipping... so not really. :smith:

Just enough for me to get a few minis for myself every now and then. I only buy hobby things with money I make from commissions, to keep my spending in check and separate my "fun money" from work work salary "real life" money. It's a good budgeting strategy!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That Tallarn player is putting juice in your kids hands

:v:

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
The world needs more Squiggoths.

Can units in formations buy dedicated transports that aren't otherwise part of the formation? I'd be more interested in "Anrakyrs Strategic Decurion" if I could buy a 2nd Ghost Ark for the 2nd unit of Warriors, and a Night Scythe for the Immortals.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Tequila Ranger posted:

The world needs more Squiggoths.

Can units in formations buy dedicated transports that aren't otherwise part of the formation? I'd be more interested in "Anrakyrs Strategic Decurion" if I could buy a 2nd Ghost Ark for the 2nd unit of Warriors, and a Night Scythe for the Immortals.

They have to follow the formation's restrictions, but otherwise they can take any options available to them. I believe you can.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
One last thing while I'm on a progress spree. Long time ago I made these on commission:

Was allowed to keep the extra Tyranid and Plague Drone bits, and decided to use them to make a Dimachaeron. Was not thrilled with the official FW model, and decided to make mine more of giant Lictor.

Primed the main body to get a sense of it so far - still need to smooth a lot and fill some gaps, but I'm really happy with it so far. All I needed to buy for it was a base and some Sculpey - rest was digging in the bits box!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

That looks pretty awesome as far as I am concerned. A well executed tyranid kitbash or conversion is a rare and beautiful thing.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, that looks suitably terrifying. Nice work!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

These are rad as gently caress, man. Keep up the good work!

One of these days I'll have to actually play against your tyranids

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

panascope posted:

Also, Castellax are baller-tier with cyber theurgy buffs. Giving them an extra D3 attacks every turn is loving sweet.

Castellax are just baller, period. They're not only insanely tough for their points, they still hit fairly hard (wounding on 2s, two attacks and Rage) and come with fantastic guns- there are very few pinning weapons in 30K armies and BS5 with -1 to cover saves will rock most things pretty hard. Mechanicum easily gets the best troop choices of any of the Heresy armies.

Mango Polo posted:

Somewhat less baller when they turn on you.

If you're already locked in close combat, there's actually very little disadvantage to rolling the "Maelifica" result- the unit counts as destroyed, but it will keep right on bashing away at the other guy's stuff (since it's effectively now considered an enemy unit by both players) and even if it manages to break out of combat, it's probably closer to all of the other guy's units than yours.

Cyber-Theurgy... doesn't really do what FW thinks it does. The "attack" one you use on an enemy unit is especially funny, because if you gently caress up and roll a mishap, it still happens to the unit you were targeting and thus will almost always screw it over. Even when it fails, it succeeds!

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I finished my oath thread tyranid model tonight:

I'm really happy with this guy, and I'm looking forward to doing a carnifex or high tyrant next month. All of the giant models seem like they will be fun, but the thought of doing all of the gaunts and gargoyles is depressing :(

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yesssss there's that goop. Great job drgnvale

The only thing i'd suggest would be to consider doing a couple extra drops of goo running back through the snow. It would suggest he's advancing, and make it a little more dynamic.

edit: there is also a cool technique you can do with hot-glue, if you're interested. Am I remembering correctly? I feel like someone on here had some dripping goo effects at one point, but maybe i'm forgetting how he accomplished it.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 21, 2014

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Oh man, that is gross as hell. Good job!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hahaha, what the poo poo is this thing?

30k :allears:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Safety Factor posted:

Its rad as hell. Im glad they keep coming out with cool poo poo, but where the hell are the reductor war machines?

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 21, 2014

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

There can never be enough wacky baneblade variants.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

20pts to go to BS4, hrm what a tough call there.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Or 10pts to replace 7 Multi-lasers with 7 Heavy Flamers :getin:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Anyone else had trouble getting the pilot of the ghost ark assembled? I cannot for the life of me make the chair and the torso line up so that the spine cables connect to the arch behind him. It's the worst plastic design I've seen in years.

FoE
May 1, 2005
nothing really

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Anyone else had trouble getting the pilot of the ghost ark assembled? I cannot for the life of me make the chair and the torso line up so that the spine cables connect to the arch behind him. It's the worst plastic design I've seen in years.

I had to snip the spine cables a bit, glue the rest of the guy in and then kind of force the spine to line up.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
I finally finished painting my two troops choices for my Black Legion army, and now I can start fielding them! I've posted some WIP shots of these guys before, but here are the completed squads:

The Hounds of Abaddon
These guys are CSM with the Mark of Khorne and Bolt Pistol + CCW. I am making an Icon bearer as well, but I think I'll just put a Beserker head on him so he can swap in and out between these guys and the Berserker squad I'm working on. I'm also using the DV Chosen models as the Aspiring Champions for all my squads, and I'm already working on mods for the plague marine and noise marine champions.

Squad of Random Black Legion Joes
This other squad is just ten bolter joes with a Meltagun and Missile Launcher. I'm continuing my "2nd edition" color schemes trend here with the orange cabling and steel trim. I'm also working on a hierarchy that's visible in the trim: Standard joes get metal trim, elites get gold shoulder and helmet trim (or dudes with a mark), and Chosen/Champions get full gold trim.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 21, 2014

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Those look awesome. I really like them. It makes me want to do Black Legion.

I wish my friends would field armies that looked like that--our battles involve a lot of gray plastic fighting in gray plastic buildings on a dirty glass table. I've started offering incentives to get people painting ("finish 500 points by your birthday and I'll buy you a Broadside," that kind of thing) but even the finished models I see are orders of magnitude less badass than that.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sulecrist posted:

Those look awesome. I really like them. It makes me want to do Black Legion.

I wish my friends would field armies that looked like that--our battles involve a lot of gray plastic fighting in gray plastic buildings on a dirty glass table. I've started offering incentives to get people painting ("finish 500 points by your birthday and I'll buy you a Broadside," that kind of thing) but even the finished models I see are orders of magnitude less badass than that.

Thanks!

Something we've done a few times when hanging out (and plan to do next time) is spend a couple of hours painting/modeling before we play. It's a good way for us to swap advice on painting, and it's a great way to force ourselves to paint.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

TheChirurgeon posted:

Thanks!

Something we've done a few times when hanging out (and plan to do next time) is spend a couple of hours painting/modeling before we play. It's a good way for us to swap advice on painting, and it's a great way to force ourselves to paint.

This is definitely a fun option and a great motivator. Another fun option is to give painted models Preferred Enemy: Unpainted Models. It at least pushes people to get some basic painting done.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

I would love to know how this is done. Stencils around edges and such I struggle with...

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
freehand. Averland Sunset with Flash Gitz yellow overtop and some Abaddon black to clean up the edges/add the dots

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

TheChirurgeon posted:

freehand. Averland Sunset with Flash Gitz yellow overtop and some Abaddon black to clean up the edges/add the dots

drat you and your awesome freehand

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ghost Hand posted:

drat you and your awesome freehand

Ha, sorry. If something needs to be really precise, I sometimes just draw the shape in pencil with a 2H lead beforehand, and if I need really fine/straight black lines I'll use a Micron .005 black pen. Need to make sure you paint over the pencil markings though.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I'm amazed not at the freehand (which is baller as gently caress) but in how GOOD that yellow looks.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'm continuing my "2nd edition" color schemes trend here with the orange cabling and steel trim. I'm also working on a hierarchy that's visible in the trim: Standard joes get metal trim, elites get gold shoulder and helmet trim (or dudes with a mark), and Chosen/Champions get full gold trim.

I've always painted my Black Legion dudes in a similar fashion. Steel trim, gold shoulders on regular dudes. All gold for special dudes.

Great jobs on those Hounds of Abbaddon, by the way. It's been out for a while now and I don't think I've seen anyone do schemes from the Black Legion supplement. Or at least not this good. Love the rhinos too.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Yeah, that kind of yellow on that kind of black just blows my mind.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
TheChirurgeon, those Black Legion are so loving cool. The red/black halved scheme on the troops is awesome, and the yellow is mind blowing. Great color selections all around, and vibrant to boot!

Buffchix, that Taurox conversion is sweet. Seems like it'd be a great conversion for Gorkamorka trucks too.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

How did you get yellow paint on black that's loving witchcraft

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah it blows to put together. A lot of the Necron kits have one or two parts that are really complicated and have to go together just perfectly in the right order or they'll refuse to fit correctly. My favorite part of the hobby is assembling poo poo but I don't ever want to put together another Necron vehicle.

TheChirurgeon posted:

good poo poo

That rhino is disgustingly good.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Yeah it blows to put together. A lot of the Necron kits have one or two parts that are really complicated and have to go together just perfectly in the right order or they'll refuse to fit correctly. My favorite part of the hobby is assembling poo poo but I don't ever want to put together another Necron vehicle.

The Ghost Ark in particular can be nothing but the product of witchcraft most foul combined with a sadist's ingenuity- it is far and away the worst kit I have ever had to assemble, and I've built metal versions of the old Hive Tyrant, Lord of Change, Thunderfire Cannon, and Shokk Attack Gun. And it's really a shame, too, because it's a beautiful model with rules that are actually quite decent, even good, but it's a monstrosity to assemble and paint.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The worst kit ever created was the metal Landspeeder. There is nothing that will ever be worse than putting that thing together. At some point you just say gently caress it and go out and buy JB Weld and a Metal File.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hollismason posted:

The worst kit ever created was the metal Landspeeder. There is nothing that will ever be worse than putting that thing together. At some point you just say gently caress it and go out and buy JB Weld and a Metal File.

*cough metal scraplauncher cough bretonnian trebuchet cough sisters exorcist cough*

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Thunderfire cannon: here is a box of metal chunks that theoretically fit together back when the molds were new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

AbusePuppy posted:

The Ghost Ark in particular can be nothing but the product of witchcraft most foul combined with a sadist's ingenuity- it is far and away the worst kit I have ever had to assemble, and I've built metal versions of the old Hive Tyrant, Lord of Change, Thunderfire Cannon, and Shokk Attack Gun. And it's really a shame, too, because it's a beautiful model with rules that are actually quite decent, even good, but it's a monstrosity to assemble and paint.

The Ghost Ark is really miserable. I've built and painted two and both were totally miserable. I don't know who decided that there should be a hundred pieces of busted Necron warriors to fit into it but whoever did that: gently caress them.

• Locked thread