Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This last page makes me realise we should institute a Bleed for the Dole scheme.

It would be the culmination of the LNP's life's work of bleeding this country dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Gorilla Salad posted:

This last page makes me realise we should institute a Bleed for the Dole scheme.

It would be the culmination of the LNP's life's work of bleeding this country dry.

Would also be easier, less painful and more productive than anything else proposed.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Fruity Gordo posted:

He's a narcissistic Cold War Tory who got elected and ran a government whose raison d'etre was getting reelected while loving people over as much as they would tolerate, and thusly set the tone for Hawke. So, already a capital offense. He apparently regrets the shithouse trajectory his government put us on and so in the early 2000s he started suggesting that maybe it was uncool for us to put refugees in concentration camps/ Because he used to be a Prime Minister who ran concentration camps which were less poo poo, <snip>

There was no mandatory detention under Fraser. That was introduced by Keating (Although for a maximum amount of time of around 200 days)

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

duck monster posted:

There was no mandatory detention under Fraser. That was introduced by Keating (Although for a maximum amount of time of around 200 days)

It wasn't mandatory detention but we still had 3 onshore detention centres and did offshore processing of people in camps in Malaysia and Indonesia.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
But yeah obviously Fraser's approach was the best we've done, but it doesn't mean it was great and he wilfully appealed to rednecks when it was convenient and put people in jail for political reasons. Mandatory detention has been liberal party policy just as long as the ALP and if he honestly cared he would have left the party during the Howard years, not in 2009 or whenever he finally bailed.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Use a Bleed For The Dole scheme to correctly identify how many people on welfare are off chops at all times.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fruity Gordo posted:

He has no friends left in conservative politics. He sniffed the wind 20 years ago, looked at his bank balance and took a risk because he rightly guessed that he would be vilified in death if he didnt come to jesus
But the wind isn't blowing left, it's blowing right. He'd be better off/make more money doing the right-wing circuit. Nor do I think he feels that much guilt, there are plenty of ways to mitigate that that are employed by people like bolt (I also don't believe is likely that someone is distressed by their own beliefs, that's kind of unusual human behavior). I think it's more likely that he hasn't changed. After all, detention centers have been outsourced to private companies, because the new liberal party doesn't like civil servants for some reason. That's not a 'traditional' belief. He hasn't changed, the world around him has, and he doesn't really like it.

Now whether that belief is shared by an important slice of the population is another question. If it's not, it's just him rambling right? I think it's plausible, but obviously polling would be a better source.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 20, 2014

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't want dole-bludger fluids polluting the hard-working purity of my veins.

superkinetic
Jul 22, 2007

WHEN?

ewe2 posted:

All that fits well with my anecdotal experience as a blood donor. Going by your early posts, I'm guessing the public sector Green/Left doctor fraternity wouldn't be well pleased with the government's proposed new Medicare scheme? It does look like a new front in pitting the private against the public systems. I'm aware that the junior staff are already under pressure from other policies, what are they projecting as to the future should this pass?

Forgive my opinion for being brash, but nobody with their head screwed on right is happy about the proposed changes. Reviewing the medical literature (even in a fairly cursory way) will reveal that:
a) copayment schemes for primary care are not justifiable from a health economic point of view and,
b) primary care interventions are probably the best value investments you can make in a health system

We should be increasing funding for the GP and primary care sectors, not decreasing it. I mean, it's not even controversial. The evidence has been there for years and years. The fact it's even being argued at all only goes to show that it's a political issue and not a practical one.

My colleagues are worried about the load on emergency departments increasing, the increase in chronic disease burden on the health system, that it will spiral health system costs ever upwards (in turn decreasing the quality of secondary and tertiary care, hospitals, etc), and in many cases, people have expressed the opinion that the concept of a "price signal" for primary care treatment is somewhat malicious.

The problem is that the rammifications for this policy will be rather insidious. Unlike when someone dies in an emergency department corridor because of inadequate staffing, or when an ambulance is late getting to a medical emergency because of bed block, where you can show the direct link between the policy and its outcome, the GP copayment (or proposed reduction in medicare rebate to GPs) will have a horrible, creeping effect on the health system. It'll take years to recognise (...politically- the data will be clear as it always has been), and even longer to fix.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah, given the way public system hospitals are being run these days, it makes for some nasty administrative decisions.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

MichaelCusackDrinkingCultureVideo.mpeg4 PART 3

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Cairns stabbing: Mother arrested for murder after eight children found dead in Manoora home
Sat 20 Dec 2014, 7:52pm

Mersane Warria, the 37-year-old mother of seven of the eight children found dead in a Cairns home yesterday, has been arrested for murder.

Cairns Detective Inspector Bruno Asnicar said the mother, who was found yesterday with chest and neck wounds, was lucid and awake and speaking with police.

The bodies of eight children were found following what was believed to be a multiple stabbing on Friday morning.

Four girls aged 14, 12, 11 and two, and four boys aged nine, eight, six and five were found in Murray Street, Manoora, where the 37-year-old woman was also located.

Acting Assistant Commissioner Paul Taylor said charges would be laid when it was "appropriate and everything's completed".

He said there were five fathers to the children, and police had been in contact with all five men.

"Overnight we had the forensic people in the house. The deceased have been removed from the house," Detective Inspector Asnicar said.

"Today we will have our coroner and pathologist conducting their investigations with the assistance of the family."

Detective Inspector Asnicar said police were not looking for anyone else in relation to the deaths and were comfortable the community was safe.

He dismissed speculation the Manoora house had been the subject of calls from the Department of Social Services.

"It's not a problem house, as has been speculated," he said.

"This is an ordinary neighbourhood, a lot of good people, a lot of kids in the area. This is something that has caught everybody by surprise."

Australians share community's grief: Nicholls

Acting Queensland Premier Tim Nicholls said the police service had made contact with authorities in the Torres Strait.

"Certainly we are aware of the family links to the Torres Strait and to the Cape and actions are being taken to ensure those communities are informed and provided with support," he said.

Mr Nicholls said he knew the incident was coming at a "terrible cost" to many of the community.

"As a father myself with three children under 15, I can only imagine the grief this family is feeling as they come to grips with the events over the last few days," he said.

"I'm sure I speak on behalf of all Queenslanders and indeed all Australians when we say we are with you, we are here to support you and we feel with you the grief this community feels."

Investigations were continuing throughout Saturday and police said autopsies on the children would also occur today.

Police said a number of possible weapons including knives were located in the house.

Seven of the children found dead are siblings and the eighth child is a niece of the woman arrested, police said.

Police said the suburban Cairns home would be locked down for several days while forensic officers conducted their work.

Acting Chief Superintendent Russell Miller said the investigation would take time and officers from Brisbane and Townsville arrived on Friday afternoon to assist with the complex investigation.

Relationships Australia has set up an office close to the murder scene.

Spokeswoman Debra Bennett said the organisation was inviting people in the community to seek counselling there if they felt they needed to speak to someone.

"There'll be a whole range of support services so we encourage people to take advantage of that and to encourage other members of their family and the community if they feel they're struggling with this experience. It's really important that people don't try to do this on their own," she said.

:(

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014
Too early to be sure, but is this going to be another great argument for reducing spending on the 'unprofitable' mental health sector?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I sure hope not. I've had to pay full price to see my psychotherapist a couple of times and holy gently caress is mental healthcare expensive.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Just as a side note to anyone that has ongoing mental healthcare costs, if you have extras cover with your insurance provider (assuming you've got one) they'll cover roughly 75% of the cost of seeing your shrink.

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014

Endman posted:

I sure hope not. I've had to pay full price to see my psychotherapist a couple of times and holy gently caress is mental healthcare expensive.

In neo-liberal parlance, this is an 'externality', with absolutely no meaning to profit. The idea that society is, both economically and socially, better off with mental healthcare does not factor into a bottom line - it is a cost absorbed by the tax payer, and therefore something that business should not be burdened with. Just like business profiting by an educated work force, or the infrastructure of roads, ports and communication. They want all the benefits of government spending, but none of the responsibility. The commonwealth provides them with a fertile ground - a relatively healthy, educated workforce - but they still like to pretend that they built the log cabin they were born in, and all their success is a function of their initiative.

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014
gently caress! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Endman
May 18, 2010

Pudding Space posted:

In neo-liberal parlance, this is an 'externality', with absolutely no meaning to profit. The idea that society is, both economically and socially, better off with mental healthcare does not factor into a bottom line - it is a cost absorbed by the tax payer, and therefore something that business should not be burdened with. Just like business profiting by an educated work force, or the infrastructure of roads, ports and communication. They want all the benefits of government spending, but none of the responsibility. The commonwealth provides them with a fertile ground - a relatively healthy, educated workforce - but they still like to pretend that they built the log cabin they were born in, and all their success is a function of their initiative.

Pretty much this.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Pudding Space posted:

true neoliberals would actually just stick their fingers in their ears and deny the existence of externalities at all, because once you start considering externalities you have to come to terms with the idea that a consensual transaction between parties can affect parties not involved in the transaction and then your whole system comes tumbling down.

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014

Gough Suppressant posted:

a consensual transaction between parties can affect parties not involved in the transaction and then your whole system comes tumbling down.

1/ Do you want fracking? We will pay you for the land we frack on.
2/ Do you want fracking? It's beneath the land we have to pay you for.

Democratic conclusion: the people want fracking - they love fracking!

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

ABC24 posted:

The Prime Minister is expected to announce a ministerial reshuffle this afternoon in Canberra #auspol

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

I'm gonna miss Joe, from Treasurer to Sandwich Chef is quite the demotion.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Wonder what Morrison is going to get.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Merry Christmas Joe, you're fired.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Prime Minister Morrison is slowly looking more likely as he will probably secure a shitload more power for himself. Such as getting Defense added or even Foreign Affairs if Bishop stirred the pot too much and Tony has to start firing warning shots.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
But if they fired Joe it would be like admitting the budget was a total pile of nasty poo poo!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Treasurer Morrison will cancel Medicare and ship all the poors to PNG.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Julie Bishop as Deputy Leader chooses her portfolio so it might be unlikely that she moves. So far the speculation is Josh Frydenberg taking Assistant Treasurer while Sussan Ley takes his spot as Parliamentary Secretary.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Nuclear Spy posted:

Julie Bishop as Deputy Leader chooses her portfolio so it might be unlikely that she moves. So far the speculation is Josh Frydenberg taking Assistant Treasurer while Sussan Ley takes his spot as Parliamentary Secretary.

Sussan Ley possibly might be taking Assistant Education Minister, because let's face facts; Pyne couldn't sell lemonaide on a hot day.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Prime Minister Morrison is slowly looking more likely as he will probably secure a shitload more power for himself. Such as getting Defense added or even Foreign Affairs if Bishop stirred the pot too much and Tony has to start firing warning shots.

No chance that Bishop will be moved.

People keep saying "Defence added" or including aspects of the Defence Department into a new Morrison-led homeland security superdepartment but I can't see it - even if there's a move to a US-style homeland security construct, it's much more likely to absorb the federal police or ASIO from the Attorney General rather than Defence.

And if Morrison goes to Defence he'll give up his current portfolio, I can't see a coalition government giving a Defence Minister additional portfolio responsibilities.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Even though the rumours have been circulating for months, a Morrison superdepartment probably makes some people here wake up in the middle of the night screaming.

Lets hope it doesn't actually happen.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Defence doesn't seem like that much of an added responsibility since judging by David Johnston it consists largely of hiding in your office apoplectic with rage.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Pyne or Joe losing their job would be a sweet Christmas present from Abbott. Might help soften the blow from the turd in the stocking that is the inevitable increase of Morrison's portfolio.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Though I can't remember where, I was reading a bunch of reshuffle reports late last week and one mentioned defence and specifically David Johnston enjoy the protection of Julie bishop herself. Morrison getting defence would probably cause her to background against the government even more than she is doing now.

Apparently Johnston is actually a competent manager and minister when it comes to the department, but he's just prone to gaffs. We'll see.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
I think integrating the immigration and intelligence portfolios would be for the best, possibly including defense. This would enable Morrison to be as efficient as possible in his stated goal of establishing the Fourth Reich.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Can someone make a Hearts of Iron mod with Scott Morrison leading the Forth Reich?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Murodese posted:

I think integrating the immigration and intelligence portfolios would be for the best, possibly including defense. This would enable Morrison to be as efficient as possible in his stated goal of establishing the Fourth Reich.

To be fair he should also have transport and infrastructure.

Maybe this is what makes the Liberals reconsider their roads not rail policy.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Les Affaires posted:

Apparently Johnston is actually a competent manager and minister when it comes to the department, but he's just prone to gaffs. We'll see.

Word from some mates in the department is that he at least has shown a passing interest in the portfolio, which puts him ahead of Stephen Smith.

The bigger problem is that Abbott's office is apparently showing Rudd-era levels of micromanagement of Defence issues that are often at odds with Johnston's wishes, and Johnston has given up fighting against it.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Tirade posted:

Word from some mates in the department is that he at least has shown a passing interest in the portfolio, which puts him ahead of Stephen Smith.

The bigger problem is that Abbott's office is apparently showing Rudd-era levels of micromanagement of Defence issues that are often at odds with Johnston's wishes, and Johnston has given up fighting against it.

Yeah I'd believe that. All the best intentions in the world won't make things go better than they are if the people running the show aren't in your employ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Les Affaires posted:

Yeah I'd believe that. All the best intentions in the world won't make things go better than they are if the people running the show aren't in your employ.
Yeah, considering how Labor ran with the submarines issue at the Fisher by-election and with another by-election next month, I can't see him staying on much longer.

My guess is that with the attempted narrative of resetting everything, it is likely that the reshuffling will be a way to resuscitate any remaining political capital for the senior ministers. My wild prediction is that this will be the second phase of this term, with the final reshuffle next year having fresh ministers with a completely different message. So we could see Turnbull moving to Treasurer today with Cormann replacing him eventually after one budget destroys his capital and Pyne in the 'third phase' moving towards the Federal Election moving to communications, his petition being a foreshadow to extra funding. We'll see a few females in assistant positions to be elevated later to soften Abbott's (or other leader) women's vote.

• Locked thread