Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
TAKE PICTURES OF YOUR drat ENGINE BAY ALREADY THIS IS LIKE THE AI SLOW MOTION THREAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 222 days!)

Sperg, tell me your next car will be an early 80s SAAB 900 Turbo. :allears:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

TAKE PICTURES OF YOUR drat ENGINE BAY ALREADY THIS IS LIKE THE AI SLOW MOTION THREAD
Quoting for support.

Just give us nice, focused shots of stuff so we can help you diagnose this poo poo.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm gonna try to head out his way with a nice camera today.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Safety Dance posted:

I'm gonna try to head out his way with a nice camera today.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Viggen posted:

Sperg, tell me your next car will be an early 80s SAAB 900 Turbo. :allears:

Hoping for 1990s euro, with biodegradable wiring looms.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Fo3 posted:

Hoping for 1990s euro, with biodegradable wiring looms.

Nah. wrapping looms isn't big deal. Whats a little short among friends? v:v:v
My suggestion has a backwards motor, slightly slanted. Mated to the trans easier, you see.. even if replacing the belts confuses the gently caress out of anyone not privvy.

Also, if he gets old enough, it is an oil (only) cooled turbo..

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Quoting for support.

Just give us nice, focused shots of stuff so we can help you diagnose this poo poo.

Cue vague out of focus shots, "I tried to get the camera to work but my mom won't help me."

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

leica posted:

Cue vague out of focus shots, "I tried to get the camera to work but my mom won't help me."

Nah, Safety Dance is taking pictures.

Including some cringe-worthy recording of my driving, because I am terrible at driving manual. :<

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
you may be terrible at driving now but give it time. I once SUCKED at driving a manual. Then I spent a few days driving my dads truck to a work site down 290 in morning rush hour..so what im saying is get a cup of coffee grab a smoke of choice and drive that bad boy around the Chicago highway in rush hour....you will learn how drive stick....or wreck the car...

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

SouthsideSaint posted:

a cup of coffee

No cupholders. :<

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Okay, so it's quite a nice looking car. Way more powerful than I expected.

Hood pins!

Custom hood prop

It's got a couple of problems from what I saw:
- One of the belts/pulleys squeals sometimes
- Problems idling. The engine will sometimes stop running when you take your foot off the clutch. Idle RPMs bounce up and down a little bit.
- Weak clutch. In third, I was able to make the clutch slip pretty dramatically.
- Dash switch that controls the radiator fan. We definitely need to get a thermal switch wired up.

Fortunately for winter driving, it has massive turbo lag. It's really easy to drive sedately. We went to Autozone and picked up a set of battery terminals like kastein recommended (I picked up a pair for myself). I'm going to order some crimp-on ring terminals, then I'll head over with a crimper and we'll get his battery buttoned up.

I haven't uploaded the video of Mr. Firecock driving yet because there's a cat sleeping on my arm and a wife sleeping on my leg. I'll try to take care of that later tonight. My critique is that he's afraid of the friction zone, so he revs the car really high and then jerks his foot off the clutch. We did a small reverse burnout in the Autozone parking lot. I explained to him how clutches work, and suggested he find a big parking lot and practice making the car roll without using the gas.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 21, 2014

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
yeah that was exactly what it was like when I drove it. my big rear end boots accidentaly held the gas pedal and I thought that was the cause of the squeaking belt. But this was also before the mechanic "Replaced it" so it could be the belt they didn't replace for you is now squeaking. If you can drive that thing to by my house at a location I will PM you. I can look at it sometime tomorrow during the day??? just pm me

Edit: after further review of the pictures and me not being outside in the freezing wind I realize your missing a mechanical fan. And im guessing the PO removed it in order to have that hella sick turbo pipe run across the front of the engine. WE NEED TO GO JUNKYARDING!!!!!

clam ache fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 21, 2014

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

If I dint suck at Photoshop I could circle things but Ill just try to explain. SO first the belt in the rear of this picture looks old the one on the front looks new due to the paint not being poo poo. Also those four bolts on the pulley should be holding a mechanical fan to that water pump. And the little relay that is ziptied has the wires all twisted like some P.O. Fuckery so if your fans are electric that may help control them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That fan setup looks better than I thought it would but I would still it for an OEM fan/clutch unless there was a thermoswitch on it.

However, I am not sure what the clearance is going to be like with that pipe there. Where is it going? The turbo and all the plumbing should be on the drivers side. Does it have an intercooler?

Safety Dance posted:

It's got a couple of problems from what I saw:
- One of the belts/pulleys squeals sometimes
That should be easy enough to track down. The PS pump is the thing driven with the belt closest to the rad. These cars were infamous for bad racks which, gone unchecked, could eventually cause issues with the pump.

I'd make sure the belts are sized properly (not just length, width too).

Alternatively, the thing is almost 30 years old and the belt sheaves/pulleys could certainly be worn, or you know, bearings.

quote:

- Problems idling. The engine will sometimes stop running when you take your foot off the clutch. Idle RPMs bounce up and down a little bit.
Did it stumble or run rough like a vacuum leak? OP really needs to get the manual and learn how to run codes on the old ECU though. It's not difficult.

quote:

- Weak clutch. In third, I was able to make the clutch slip pretty dramatically.
That's not terribly difficult but beyond the OPs reach based on what he's saying. OP will want to be careful on the clutch so you don't start hurting the flywheel with it slipping all the time.

I am glad that there doesn't seem to be an actual overheating issue other than the fan.

I would be curious to know if this car started life as a Turbo or was converted. The "3000" on the intake plenum cover is actually the cover they used on the non-turbo models, although it's possible he just swapped it for some reason.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah looks like even if he did put a mech fan back in it wouldn't work with that piping in the way.

Or just re route the piping....That's what I'd do or get a better E fan if that one isn't sufficient.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

However, I am not sure what the clearance is going to be like with that pipe there. Where is it going? The turbo and all the plumbing should be on the drivers side. Does it have an intercooler?

Did it stumble or run rough like a vacuum leak? OP really needs to get the manual and learn how to run codes on the old ECU though. It's not difficult.

It does have an intercooler.

Honestly, I can't diagnose the idling issue very well. My first thought was "idle air control valve", but I don't know enough about Z cars to know if this one would have one.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
That is a sharp looking car.

Quite a few issues from what I can see.

First, the car is still running the factory efi. There is a few issues with this, the open to atmosphere bov would cause running issues, especially on a clutch in. Second, the AFM is just passed a bend, which can cause turbulence and as such, poor running. Also the filter is right behind the fans, further causing turbulence. Look up z32 flower pot mod. The z32 had a huge issue with turbulent flow at the maf when cone filters are added, causing all sorts of weird running issues.

There is also an alarming amount of chinesium parts on it. The "nitrous" brand gauges are harbor freight/eBay, the fuel pressure regulator is also an eBay unit.

Stock z31 turbos are not very fast, I'm pretty sure this is an NA-T car, since all the gauges have been replaced and the top plate on the engine isn't the right one. The turbo clutches can also hold a pretty decent amount of power, this is probably running the stock NA clutch. These cars done right are very quick.

The biggest issues I have with this car is the fueling. If it is not running the turbo efi and upgraded injectors, the motor is not long for this world. Hell, I would hope it has been chipped or nistuned for reliabilities sake, but the cost to do that easily eclipses the cost of all those Chinese parts.

In all honesty OP, sell the car. You are multiple levels outside your capabilities. If that's not an option, it is time for a beater and a lot of time doing research and unfucking the cheap PO's doing.

That weird thing on the core support with the cheap looking metal bracket is a thermostatic relay. It is sold at parts stores but shouldn't be used for directly powering OEM fans due to crap current capacity. It has probably burnt out which is why you have to use the switch to control it. I prefer the Hayden 3647 ( I think that's the number) as it has a replaceable automotive relay on it. Also sold at all parts stores.

mafoose fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 21, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

mafoose posted:

In all honesty OP, sell the car. You are multiple levels outside your capabilities. If that's not an option, it is time for a beater and a lot of time doing research and unfucking the cheap PO's doing.

I wouldn't go quite that far. Yes, there's a buttload of PO fuckery, but Firecock told me he'd be willing to dump about $5K into getting this car running well once he starts working. Reading the plugs would tell us if the fuelling is way off. Once that's sorted and he has a new clutch in place, then it would be pretty good.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Funny thing is, people that would actually know how to fix the car would never have even bothered with it to begin with.

This car was destined to end up with the OP and break his heart.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

mafoose posted:

The biggest issues I have with this car is the fueling. If it is not running the turbo efi and upgraded injectors, the motor is not long for this world. Hell, I would hope it has been chipped or nistuned for reliabilities sake, but the cost to do that easily eclipses the cost of all those Chinese parts.
The original EFI is a really good point, especially with it likely not being factory Turbo car. This can be confirmed with the VIN.

quote:

VIN Number Arrangement: JN1 C Z 1 4 S * G X 000101

JN1- Nissan Pass Vehicle
C- Engine Type: C=VG30ET(turbo) H=VG30E(non turbo)
Z- Nissan 300ZX
1- Model Change:(0-9)
4- Body Type: 2=seater 6=2+2seater
S- Restaint System: S=standard
*- Check Digit: (0-9 or X)
G- Model year: E=1984 F=1985 G=1986 H=1987 J=1988 K=1989
X- Manufacture Plant: Hiratsuka, Japan
A really nice unmolested Z31 is a decent enough car but not really super reliable, and to be honest wasn't super reliable even when brand new. Nissan was definitely below Toyota and Honda in the day. I question if this thing would ever be a reliable DD without non insignificant investment.

Cutting losses is not a crazy thing to do.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

I wouldn't go quite that far. Yes, there's a buttload of PO fuckery, but Firecock told me he'd be willing to dump about $5K into getting this car running well once he starts working. Reading the plugs would tell us if the fuelling is way off. Once that's sorted and he has a new clutch in place, then it would be pretty good.

He'd be better off putting 5k into something else honestly. I'd get it running halfway decent and sell it. Then buy a Miata :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Safety Dance posted:

I don't think $5K would do it, especially if he has to pay people to do a lot of it. The clutch alone is not a $500 job at a shop, it'll be closer to $1k, and that wouldn't have done a thing to make it more reliable.

If the PO did convert a NA motor in a Turbo, I'd be really curious to know what he did to the internals, in particular pistons and compression.

Cutting losses is a reasonable course of action. He isn't comfortable working let alone have the knowledge. It'll always be parked.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqDR2sWtEho

How to explode a manual transmission.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

:lol:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

quote:

Ok, slooowwwly come up Ay%#% the clutch

Good thing it has enough torque to not stall out. :lol:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

What the gently caress is up with those pants? Did the bolt come free with a purchase of two McCalls patterns?*

*I only expect Motronic and meatpimp to get this reference.

(I don't want to hit anyone by accident, either.)

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Those pants are the ugliest pants I could find on short notice.

Now, to address everyone saying to cut my losses and sell it:

I'd really rather not do that. This car feels like something special, like something that I want to keep and cherish and have fun with.

I understand that it has issues, and I pretty much came into this car expecting to have issues, and having to resolve those issues. If I didn't think it had issues, it'd probably be a catastrophically boring car, and that is exactly the kind of car I don't want.

I get kind of a perverse thrill out of, "oh god the car's not working again, what's wrong with it this time".

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty sure he bought the pants and got a free bowl of soup.

[edit] It's admirable that you want to deal with the car's issues, but what we're saying is unless you have the knowledge to do it yourself you might as well be flushing money down the toilet. If you plan on learning on the car, and committed to do what it takes then go for it, but if you have any reservations about the task at hand whatsoever, you really need to cut your losses or it will end in tears and the car being worth less than what you paid for it after draining your account to get it to run and drive like it should.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 21, 2014

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

leica posted:

Pretty sure he bought the pants and got a free bowl of soup.

Bought them at a thrift store. Hell of a deal. :D

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
If you're serious about wanting to keep the car, get the cheapest, worst beater that won't leave you stranded, unless you're OK with not having a car while you learn how to do something on. This isn't the best car to learn on, but neither was most people's first project car. Just treat it like a growth experience and be careful, if you're capable of following directions and can reason about problems, you can do anything that you want to that doesn't require tools you don't have; then you just need to get the tools.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Those pants are the ugliest pants I could find on short notice.

I kinda figured those were your pajamas and I'd just woken you up.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Safety Dance posted:

I kinda figured those were your pajamas and I'd just woken you up.

Nah, I like dressing in homeless people clothes. :D

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
OP go for it. I had a shoe-horned M30 engine in an E30 named Oliver and it was equal parts horrifying and the best car ever. This is automotive insanity and we love this poo poo and damnit you will too.

The guy before you did a lot of stuff on the cheap to make power and that poo poo is going to break a lot in a lovely succession. You seem to be cool with this for now and worst case you cut your losses. Cool.

Here's the thing. We want to help, but you have to do some loving leg work or we're just going to berate the poo poo out of you. This is one big character building exercise that you'll eventually get to talk down to your kids about if you just put in some drat effort. Get a mechanics tool set ASAP and start asking us what you need to fix. Talk with us. Get a game plan going because right now you look like a sheep sitting on the 80/90 staring at one of those double trailer fedex trucks driven by equal parts 13 inch dick and a dude that's been on meth for 36 hours.

AI and the people in it are the best resource for crazy fucks like you and me and kastein and slow is fast and all these idiots on a tarp in sub zero weather swapping engines for fun. Some dumbass just spent his Saturday taking pictures of your car for us and trying to teach you how to learn manual. We aren't seeing much from you though. Start putting in effort. Proactivity. Own this poo poo. Break poo poo. Learn by doing. Help us help you or we'll just piss in the goon well.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Adiabatic posted:

OP go for it. I had a shoe-horned M30 engine in an E30 named Oliver and it was equal parts horrifying and the best car ever. This is automotive insanity and we love this poo poo and damnit you will too.

The guy before you did a lot of stuff on the cheap to make power and that poo poo is going to break a lot in a lovely succession. You seem to be cool with this for now and worst case you cut your losses. Cool.

Here's the thing. We want to help, but you have to do some loving leg work or we're just going to berate the poo poo out of you. This is one big character building exercise that you'll eventually get to talk down to your kids about if you just put in some drat effort. Get a mechanics tool set ASAP and start asking us what you need to fix. Talk with us. Get a game plan going because right now you look like a sheep sitting on the 80/90 staring at one of those double trailer fedex trucks driven by equal parts 13 inch dick and a dude that's been on meth for 36 hours.

AI and the people in it are the best resource for crazy fucks like you and me and kastein and slow is fast and all these idiots on a tarp in sub zero weather swapping engines for fun. Some dumbass just spent his Saturday taking pictures of your car for us and trying to teach you how to learn manual. We aren't seeing much from you though. Start putting in effort. Proactivity. Own this poo poo. Break poo poo. Learn by doing. Help us help you or we'll just piss in the goon well.

Understood. I'm getting a full tool set for Christmas, in addition for a few other neat nifty things and money.

Things I need to buy include:

- Wire Crimper from Harbor Freight.

- Metric Socket Set

- Maybe a jack? Might need to get under the car at some point.

- I have the service manual but that doesn't cover a lot of the more in-depth stuff, AFAIK.

- What else? I'm up for suggestions.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

- Maybe a jack? Might need to get under the car at some point.

Jack Stands and a wheel chock. Never get under the car with just a jack holding it up. That is what jack stands are for. The HF Racing jack is great, spend some time in the tools thread here on AI and you will find a lot of useful tools and ways to spend money.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

Here's the thing. We want to help....

Case in point. I was going to send the Op a FPR, and two different thermisters for his cooling fans.....

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Korwen posted:

Jack Stands and a wheel chock. Never get under the car with just a jack holding it up. That is what jack stands are for. The HF Racing jack is great, spend some time in the tools thread here on AI and you will find a lot of useful tools and ways to spend money.
Good advice.

I'm partial to the HF racing jack with the two wheels up from. The one with the steam roller front seems quite unstable when I used it.

If you plan on going ahead with this car, keep in mind that $5k will not do much if you're going to pay a shop to work on it (if a shop even agrees to work on it). $5k will go drat far if you're doing the work yourself and do things right (or else end up doing them twice).

The fact that it is still running means you have a decent base, it's just so much easier to learn when you're doing the mods yourself, not dealing with someone's half done project. Good luck to you.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Case in point. I was going to send the Op a FPR, and two different thermisters for his cooling fans.....

I reminded him to PM you his address today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

cursedshitbox posted:

Done. Sorry it took a while. Things've been complicated what with holiday prep and job search. But I got the interview for that Car Rental place literally a 3 minute walk from my house, so job soon, woo!

• Locked thread