Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm pretty sure the way John's retconning powers work is that he is the one, authentic Alpha John and that the timeline changes around his actions. He, and when I say he I mean the John we are currently following, cannot become a retroactive John, he is always the true John. Doc Scratch once said that he defines the Alpha Timeline as the one that has the exclusive rights to his birth and death, but that is no longer strictly speaking true. The Alpha Timeline is now the one that John Egbert inhabits. It's as simple as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

There isn't a single set chronology anymore, but there is a narrative. As of Act 6 Act 6 Caliborn gained control of the narrative and the regular characters all got shunted out of the main story and have only appeared in intermissions while the main acts (or act acts or act act acts) have been about Caliborn/Homosuck. They need to use the cartridge (which John has now cleaned) to put the narrative back in Hussie or someone else's hands so the story can be finished.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

thanks alot assbag posted:

I honestly feel like I figured this poo poo out, so I'm going to spoiler tag this

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008178 This is going to be the page where they escape, via the meteor or by some other means, out of Act 6 Act 6 Act 6 and back to the regular timeline. The glitches will clear to reveal this via the flash, and end with the link to the page that shows all of the characters escaping back to the real timeline. John will gather everyone on LOWAS, which is the planet that Jade is targeting, which is evident now that it canonically isn't covered in oil anymore.

The reason why the password is REUNION for this last branch is because it's when everyone hops back into the main storyline. Everyone right now is keeping their yaps shut because John doesn't know this yet.

The instant you decided to spoiler tag speculation (lol come on) is the instant you guaranteed yourself to be wrong.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I honestly feel like I figured this poo poo out, so I'm going to spoiler tag this

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008178 This is going to be the page where they escape, via the meteor or by some other means, out of Act 6 Act 6 Act 6 and back to the regular timeline. The glitches will clear to reveal this via the flash, and end with the link to the page that shows all of the characters escaping back to the real timeline. John will gather everyone on LOWAS, which is the planet that Jade is targeting, which is evident now that it canonically isn't covered in oil anymore.

The reason why the password is REUNION for this last branch is because it's when everyone hops back into the main storyline. Everyone right now is keeping their yaps shut because John doesn't know this yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXm6F-K6Ffo

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

They already explained the planet. It's the flooded future Earth-2. Jade hopped through a Skaian defense portal and nabbed it before it got hit by Jack's Red Miles. The Condesce ordered her to do this because she intended to continue her empire there in the universe the kids would have created if the session hadn't been derailed. We don't know if she succeeds in this, but due to the presence of Dirk's Bro's lovely Statues of Liberty, we do know that it's also the planet that Calliope and Caliborn grew up on.

And I don't even slightly understand what you're saying about the kids in this scene being future kids who "escaped from Homosuck." Disregarding the fact that the crude approximations of the kids that appear in Caliborn's comic are brainless to the point of being inanimate objects, we've seen this before! The John standing on the monolith is the past self of the John who zapped in, from immediately after he fell in the magic hole. The others are the ones that Evil Jade teleported off the meteor at the end of Act 6 Act 5, and they're not speaking because they're confused and disoriented. It's simple! There's no secrets here!

Note to Self fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 20, 2014

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Yeah, you're right, that's the flooded earth. LOWAS doesn't have clouds anyway. I've probably got some of the details wrong anyway

This honestly gets kind of too hard for me to be able to articulate, so here's a choice:

A) I am insane and accidentally thought too much about a webcomic,

B) The Reunion split is one of the central events of the comic, wherein everything down the ==> path is a doomed narrative owned by Caliborn that John and friends all get forced into, but eventually will manage to escape via other branching paths and retcons; and everything down the password path is actually an entirely new timeline that they move to, maybe created by Calliope, with the specific purpose of progressing the narrative independently of Caliborn. I'm thinking maybe the meteor crew DOESN'T have knowledge of what's happening, because narratively, if you read the entire comic but take the password branch at the reunion, none of the characters are SUPPOSED to know anything. John's the only one who gets to have knowledge because of his ability, which is why he's remarking at himself in the parenthetical statements (laughing at himself for being unaware of the retcons to come, and then being embarrassed that his other self just winked). But there's more to be seen, so we'll see!

But I'm gonna put this theory down for a while, since it seems unpopular. Let's come back to it in three years when more plot progression happens.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Yeah, you're right, that's the flooded earth. LOWAS doesn't have clouds anyway. I've probably got some of the details wrong anyway

This honestly gets kind of too hard for me to be able to articulate, so here's a choice:

A) I am insane and accidentally thought too much about a webcomic,

B) The Reunion split is one of the central events of the comic, wherein everything down the ==> path is a doomed narrative owned by Caliborn that John and friends all get forced into, but eventually will manage to escape via other branching paths and retcons; and everything down the password path is actually an entirely new timeline that they move to, maybe created by Calliope, with the specific purpose of progressing the narrative independently of Caliborn. I'm thinking maybe the meteor crew DOESN'T have knowledge of what's happening, because narratively, if you read the entire comic but take the password branch at the reunion, none of the characters are SUPPOSED to know anything. John's the only one who gets to have knowledge because of his ability, which is why he's remarking at himself in the parenthetical statements (laughing at himself for being unaware of the retcons to come, and then being embarrassed that his other self just winked). But there's more to be seen, so we'll see!

But I'm gonna put this theory down for a while, since it seems unpopular. Let's come back to it in three years when more plot progression happens.

Dude, calm down. Theory-crafting isn't something to get all worked up overs

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

CJacobs posted:

I hope it ends like that Goosebumps choose your own adventure book where you get stuck on two pages where your character is in a maze, and the Page 75 says "You come to a fork. You take a left turn, then a right, then another left. The maze seems endless! [CONTINUED ON PAGE 168]", and then Page 168 says "You take third left, then another right, then come to a dead end, so you turn around and go the other way. The maze seems endless! [CONTINUED ON PAGE 75]"

There was a Choose Your Own Adventure comic where you couldn't get to the "good" ending by following any of the paths. The only way to find it was to read through the book linearly, and it was on a page that there was no route to. It said "congratulations for thinking creatively! You found the true ending!"

I wonder if we won't get something like this, where Caliborn controls the narrative, and the only way out is for the player to manually enter the URL. In fact, I think this already happened once, but I wonder if it will be more important.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Who What Now posted:

Dude, calm down. Theory-crafting isn't something to get all worked up overs

Not worked up, more just excited to see if it actually happens this way

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Im gonna go with A.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I tease, Assbag, but I do agree with you about one thing: whenever the newly revised narrative does resume, it will probably be at that reunion point.

Reasons:
- Hussie stated we missed out on 'four minutes of footage' when [S] ACT 6 ACT 6 INTERMISSION 1 crashed. So we need to go back and see what we missed.
- By resuming it there, we still keep Evil Jade and Jane a thing, but this could still be alternate Jades and Janes. (After this, none of the Alpha kids interact with Roxy, so it would be easy to change the narrative to her having been dead a while, for example. )

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Am I missing something, or is there no way to solve this PXS? Only Rose, Dave and Terezi have gifts without bows, which means WV would have to have given his gift to Dave, but (unless the clues are intentionally not giving out all the information about what they are) only Karkat or Rose could be giving Dave a gift.

EDIT: Unless the gifts in their hands are the gifts before they all give them to their recipients, I guess.

…Yeah, that works out perfectly, in that case, and then it's Dave->Terezi->Kanaya->Rose->WV->Gamzee->Karkat->Dave.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 21, 2014

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

frozentreasure posted:

EDIT: Unless the gifts in their hands are the gifts before they all give them to their recipients, I guess.

This. That is how I read it and you can tell from Terzei's present that she's wrapped the one in her own hands.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Agreed. The Mayor is holding a gift with a bow, which can't be his.

E: Also, the human's boxes are a callback to John's birthday.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So, show of hands, who else broke out the old Matrix Logic Grids from elementary / middle school to quickly solve that gift puzzle?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Bobulus posted:

So, show of hands, who else broke out the old Matrix Logic Grids from elementary / middle school to quickly solve that gift puzzle?

*high five*

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Bobulus posted:

actually thats my shipping grid.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
How the gently caress does that grid work, I feel like a 50+ year old person looking at lattice multiplication.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

curiousTerminal posted:

How the gently caress does that grid work, I feel like a 50+ year old person looking at lattice multiplication.

Well, not that exact grid. That grid is for five people who have eight [characteristics], but it's the same idea. You make a chart with 'gift giver' on one side and 'gift reciever' on the other. If the gift giving won't work (like someone with a bow giving a gift to WV), you mark that square with a O. Correct gift-givings are marked with an X. If you do it right, you should have exactly one X per row and column, so you can solve the chart quickly by looking for row or columns in which there's only one non-O space left.

edit: like this:

Right away, you can see that only Rose is capable under these rules of giving WV a gift, only WV can give Gamzee a gift, and Karkat's gift has to be for Dave. Filling Xs for those solutions (and filling the rest of those rows and columns with Os) will reveal new solutions.

These were basically my favorite types of puzzles as a kid.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 21, 2014

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I used to love those things, I'd do them just for fun. Only type of puzzle we did in math class I was ever good at.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I had that in mind while I was solving it, but I couldn't be hosed to write one down and didn't think to search for a fill-in-the-blank one online. I like these holiday activities.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I just wrote it out with arrows on the actual page in Photoshop, after thinking it out the hard way.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Bobulus posted:

I tease, Assbag, but I do agree with you about one thing: whenever the newly revised narrative does resume, it will probably be at that reunion point.

Reasons:
- Hussie stated we missed out on 'four minutes of footage' when [S] ACT 6 ACT 6 INTERMISSION 1 crashed. So we need to go back and see what we missed.
- By resuming it there, we still keep Evil Jade and Jane a thing, but this could still be alternate Jades and Janes. (After this, none of the Alpha kids interact with Roxy, so it would be easy to change the narrative to her having been dead a while, for example. )

Evil Jade and Jane are pretty suspect. A lot of what happens at the beginning of the act is really questionable, since it's definitely written with John's eventual retcons in mind. Like, how did Roxy already know the contents of the Top Secret folder? Also, the way Rose and Terezi just sort of stroll out of the frame of the comic itself, seems to be a lot more important to the plot than just being an artistic choice. I've got more crackpot theories about these things, but we'll see!

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013

I interpreted the second hint as saying that humans had no restriction on gender, meaning Dave's could go to anyone. The solution's the same either way.

frozentreasure posted:

I had that in mind while I was solving it, but I couldn't be hosed to write one down and didn't think to search for a fill-in-the-blank one online. I like these holiday activities.

I just used Excel

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Evil Jade and Jane are pretty suspect. A lot of what happens at the beginning of the act is really questionable, since it's definitely written with John's eventual retcons in mind. Like, how did Roxy already know the contents of the Top Secret folder? Also, the way Rose and Terezi just sort of stroll out of the frame of the comic itself, seems to be a lot more important to the plot than just being an artistic choice. I've got more crackpot theories about these things, but we'll see!

Roxy already knew because she read it in Act 6 Act 5.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Assbag, as weird as your theory is, it's still better than BladeKindEyeWear's, who is convinced that, somehow, there is not only a Calliope and the Alternate Calliope where she beat Caliborn, but a third Calliope that will show up and help out the kids. Because that wouldn't be confusing or anything.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Bobulus posted:

Assbag, as weird as your theory is, it's still better than BladeKindEyeWear's, who is convinced that, somehow, there is not only a Calliope and the Alternate Calliope where she beat Caliborn, but a third Calliope that will show up and help out the kids. Because that wouldn't be confusing or anything.

To be fair, "it would be confusing" has never stopped Hussie before.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Oh hell yes, I loving love picross.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

like all good works of literature, homestuck requires a college course to understand fully

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I actually think there are 32 important Calliopes, because that's how many whistles a typical calliope has, and

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Roxy already knew because she read it in Act 6 Act 5.

Oh yeah, you're right. And I just reread that part last night!

thanks alot assbag fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 21, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

John can go back and change the story.... Which means that the parts of the story that Hussie just skipped over (and there were quite a few) are off-limits to him. I have a hunch this fact is going to be important.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Yeah, agreed. Like with Terezi's restored eyesight. Maybe John can 'initiate' these parts of the story by going back to some time around them, and forcing them to happen on-screen. Or something weirder, probably

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bobulus posted:

Bladekindeyewear thinks that Tavros is going to join Lord English and help him double murder ghosts, because he told Vriska off for being an rear end in a top hat and getting ghosts double murdered. I don't think he really cares about things making sense.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

How do you solve the new puzzle? I can't figure out how you even know where to start on the goddam thing.

e: nevermind I got it now.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 21, 2014

Poultron
May 26, 2006

sirtommygunn posted:

How do you solve the new puzzle? I can't figure out how you even know where to start on the goddam thing.

It's Picross and Nepeta gives you directions on the bottom you bozo.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Who is this mythical Bladekindeyewear the thread is always talking about, and why does he have such a stupid name?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Poultron posted:

It's Picross and Nepeta gives you directions on the bottom you bozo.

No poo poo, I was asking for advice on a possible first move not the rules. I figured it out though once I stopped being a lazy piece of poo poo and just tried it.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

sirtommygunn posted:

No poo poo, I was asking for advice on a possible first move not the rules.

It is a pretty hard picross I'll give you that.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Puzzle Solution:

I did it all in MSPaint. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Zoe posted:

Who is this mythical Bladekindeyewear the thread is always talking about, and why does he have such a stupid name?

He's a crazy person on tumblr