Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Excelzior posted:

...why is that a problem? you don't need to *personally* hold the titles for either achievement.
Because it means that restoring the imperial borders is less imperial-y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is north korea mode completely nerfed?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Did ancient Rome have no praetorian prefects? No vicarii? A kingdom-level viceroyalty is totally legit.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Volkerball posted:

Is north korea mode completely nerfed?

NKorea mode will not work for anything past MAYBE grand duke status. The extremely harsh oversized demesne penalties will bleed you dry very quickly since you ALSO no longer can banish people for fast gold.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I kind of miss the Cluny piggy bank :saddowns:

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Strudel Man posted:

Why would it be? You'd still have Imperial administration, and the viceroys you appoint very probably would be able to use it. Hell, it would actually be MORE like the Roman Empire if you gave out kingdom titles, since the original Roman provinces that Governors were given are roughly the size of CK2 kingdoms.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I meant in the sense that the "imperial administration" crown law no longer meaningfully functions when most of your domain is under vassal kings, given that it's only operative with revoking duchies. But probably that's different with the charlemagne expansion anyway. I haven't felt like dropping the money on it, for what it offers.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Strudel Man posted:

I meant in the sense that the "imperial administration" crown law no longer meaningfully functions when most of your domain is under vassal kings, given that it's only operative with revoking duchies. But probably that's different with the charlemagne expansion anyway. I haven't felt like dropping the money on it, for what it offers.

You could always have viceroyalty kingdoms, though. Post Charlemagne the Byzantine's Imperial Administration is just represented by having all of the duchies be viceroyalties to start with and getting a +25 vassal limit law.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Cantorsdust posted:

You could always have viceroyalty kingdoms, though. Post Charlemagne the Byzantine's Imperial Administration is just represented by having all of the duchies be viceroyalties to start with and getting a +25 vassal limit law.
Okay. But without the expansion, you have to hand out hereditary kingdoms, so.

edit: ughhh, the knights hospitaller have eight castles in my territory. Hate those guys so much.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 21, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Excelzior posted:

NKorea mode will not work for anything past MAYBE grand duke status. The extremely harsh oversized demesne penalties will bleed you dry very quickly since you ALSO no longer can banish people for fast gold.

You can still banish people, you just have to revoke their titles first.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Cantorsdust posted:

Oh so that's why my first character kept inheriting duchies out of nowhere.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

SeaTard posted:

You can still banish people, you just have to revoke their titles first.

You can, but you don't get their money anymore.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The CK2 wiki doesn't really seem to to be up to date on Charlemagne. Centralization and Imperial Laws have a decent enough explanation, but usually you get a little better info out of that site. Is there a good source for more in depth explanations of the changes brought in that expansion anywhere? The internet seems to be the Wild West right now when it comes to info on that DLC.

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
I keep getting a warning about titles that may pass out of my realm when the vassal (my second son) dies. Is this because my grandson will inherit the county in my realm and also a duchy outside? When this happens will the county leave my realm?
I'm really enjoying this game but there's a lot to learn!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Wait, I can't assassinate my own sons under gavelkind? Ugh. How do I deal with the imminent splitting-in-half of my lands? Will the youngest son remain a vassal of the eldest, or will he go totally indepedent?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Wait, I can't assassinate my own sons under gavelkind? Ugh. How do I deal with the imminent splitting-in-half of my lands? Will the youngest son remain a vassal of the eldest, or will he go totally indepedent?

if your ruler is about to die, and your grip on the realm is firm, imprison and execute the unworthy heirs. it's the only way - no one can plot against their own children under any crown law.

e: this will cause MASSIVE opinion penalties to your ruler, so hope to kick the bucket quickly

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Question: I know that universities and schools increase technology spread. Is that technology spread to the province from its neighbors, technology spread from the province to its neighbors, or both? I want to know whether to focus on building them in high tech provinces to spread tech from them, or in low tech provinces to catch them up, or what.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

It depends what your current ruler owns. If you highest titles are two duchies, they'll be split among the sons, and since they are equal titles, they'll both be indepedent. But if you have a king title, the son who gets that will be the liege of the others.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Ugh okay, gotta kill my own son then. Got it.

Does raiding count as 'war' for purposes of the Germanic Pagan prestige penalty?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Volkerball posted:

It depends what your current ruler owns. If you highest titles are two duchies, they'll be split among the sons, and since they are equal titles, they'll both be indepedent. But if you have a king title, the son who gets that will be the liege of the others.

I like how elective gavelkind works better than normal, I much prefer the crazy murderdrome it creates. Basically in elective gavelkind you just conquer your brothers and kill them on the battlefield.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 21, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ugh okay, gotta kill my own son then. Got it.

Does raiding count as 'war' for purposes of the Germanic Pagan prestige penalty?

Yes.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If you've got Way of Life (and you should!!) you could probably just set the Intrigue focus and spy on your unworthy children. At some point you'll get some kind of event that gives you a reason to imprison them, the ability to assassinate them in an event, or simply outright kidnap them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oh man, sucker punch. I had gobbled up all of Norway, Sweden and Denmark, made myself king of Denmark and started handing out a few duchies to keep the vassal count down. Now CK2+ introduces a prestige cost to increasing tribal organization so I was 1200 prestige short of absolute and going feudal when my king caught pneumonia and died. Then his three sons split the thrones between them, even CREATING the kingdoms of Norway and Sweden. I hadn't seen that coming.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cantorsdust posted:

Question: I know that universities and schools increase technology spread. Is that technology spread to the province from its neighbors, technology spread from the province to its neighbors, or both? I want to know whether to focus on building them in high tech provinces to spread tech from them, or in low tech provinces to catch them up, or what.

It increases the technology spread TO the province with the university/church school. It's better to build them in the lower tech counties.

Demiurge4 posted:

Oh man, sucker punch. I had gobbled up all of Norway, Sweden and Denmark, made myself king of Denmark and started handing out a few duchies to keep the vassal count down. Now CK2+ introduces a prestige cost to increasing tribal organization so I was 1200 prestige short of absolute and going feudal when my king caught pneumonia and died. Then his three sons split the thrones between them, even CREATING the kingdoms of Norway and Sweden. I hadn't seen that coming.

Yes, Paradox decided that gavelkind wasn't punishing enough, it will create kingdom titles that you have enough land to form and hand them out to your children to split up your lands this way.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Torrannor posted:

It increases the technology spread TO the province with the university/church school. It's better to build them in the lower tech counties.

I've always understood that tech spread means "stupid provinces learn faster, most learned provinces gain nothing." But how does the most learned provinces gain any tech at all? Is it purely from investing tech points?

quote:

Yes, Paradox decided that gavelkind wasn't punishing enough, it will create kingdom titles that you have enough land to form and hand them out to your children to split up your lands this way.

gently caress gavelkind. Does that mean you want to make sure you don't have 50% of a kingdom's de jure counties so new independent kingdoms are created on your death? Besides your capital kingdom obviously.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

To be honest, I find the creating new kingdoms easier to deal with because you get claims and can take them back fairly quickly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Excelzior posted:

if your ruler is about to die, and your grip on the realm is firm, imprison and execute the unworthy heirs. it's the only way - no one can plot against their own children under any crown law.

e: this will cause MASSIVE opinion penalties to your ruler, so hope to kick the bucket quickly

Or save and reload as your son and start a Me For King faction. If necessary, you could even swap back and forth to accept the demands.

Weird thing happened to me the other day. I was playing Haesteinn (and managed to stay in and hold Brittany - becoming Breton seems to work). I'd just taken most of Ireland and my demesne was too large, so I retired my two oldest concubines to temples in the hope that it would prevent 1100 years of wrangling about women bishops. I then replaced them with a couple of promising Irish women in my dungeon for a bit of social integration. Two months later, my wife had me executed.

Before you ask: it was not "killed on the orders of", it literally said "was executed by Queen Vigdis". I wasn't imprisoned first, either; I was leading troops in Connacht when the popup came up. There was no accompanying event, and my wife had no title beyond "Woman Married To The King". What happened, and why?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Node posted:

I've always understood that tech spread means "stupid provinces learn faster, most learned provinces gain nothing." But how does the most learned provinces gain any tech at all? Is it purely from investing tech points?

Yes, if you have the most advanced county it can only gain new techs through spending tech points.

Node posted:

gently caress gavelkind. Does that mean you want to make sure you don't have 50% of a kingdom's de jure counties so new independent kingdoms are created on your death? Besides your capital kingdom obviously.

Yes, if you don't own more than 50% of an unformed kingdom it cannot be formed on death and all your brothers will remain your vassals.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
What the hell.

I just tried to upload a new version of Jarls of India to the workshop but the "Manage" option to do so is greyed out!

Stop sabotaging me Paradox!

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
If I wanted to restore the roman empire from londinium, and wanted to get english longbowmen at some point from the old gods start, how do you trigger that culture flip? I'm not sure I understand the wiki page correctly.

Do I just force myself into a norsemen down there, then conquer, say, brittony? Is there a timeframe you have to be in for that to happen? Do you have to be catholic at some point for it to culture flip?

e; And I recall a discussion about the character creator and traits to pick. Anyone know what page that was on? I usually just dump genius onto my guy and call it it day if I bother at all, but I was thinking perhaps wounded/lustful/cruel and I dunno what else.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 21, 2014

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Just culture flip to Welsh it'll make more sense narratively.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
If my Half-Brother gets elected king (hooray gavelkind) is it game over? He's got the most support, and I'm desperately trying to raid Scottish churches to get pagan moral authority up so I can go feudal before my character dies.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

If my Half-Brother gets elected king (hooray gavelkind) is it game over? He's got the most support, and I'm desperately trying to raid Scottish churches to get pagan moral authority up so I can go feudal before my character dies.

1. Is he the same Dynasty? Because if no, then you should be worried.

2. Is he your primary heir? Because if no, you should be worrying about your primary heir.

3. If not, is your primary heir still inheriting something? Because if yes, you'll still be playing.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
He is my primary heir, I think. He's the one showing up in the little 'heir' bubble under my picture anyway. How do I tell if he's part of my dynasty?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

He is my primary heir, I think. He's the one showing up in the little 'heir' bubble under my picture anyway. How do I tell if he's part of my dynasty?

The Dynasty name/shield is on the character screen. I think you should be playing as him if he's the primary and the same dynasty. I got to check myself.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Oh thank god. He's the same: blue pig on a white field. House af Munso. I managed to create The Kingdom of Sweden, so everybody will have to be his vassal. Should be okay.

Okay, still gonna try to gun for feudalism. I have the stone fort set up, I have three Germanic Pagan holy sites, I have High Tribal Authority. Is raiding poorly defended Irish/Scottish monasteries the way to go? It gets a lot less money, but it's safer than hitting France or England.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If the word "Heir" is red on your character page, you will lose when that person inherits. Otherwise you are fine. There's also a pop up warning at the top of the screen. Don't worry - the game makes it pretty easy to tell when you are at risk of losing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I browsed through the CK2 wiki and found out that there is a "Reincarnation" trait. I find India rather boring so I never played there, has anybody experience with the trait? When do you get it and what does it do?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Weird thing happened but a good thing and I don't understand why. I pressed a claim that I had fabricated and not only did I take the county, I took this guy's entire realm of Mercia in england. How come it let me do that? I did press it on his capital but I didn't think that made a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Kawalimus posted:

Weird thing happened but a good thing and I don't understand why. I pressed a claim that I had fabricated and not only did I take the county, I took this guy's entire realm of Mercia in england. How come it let me do that? I did press it on his capital but I didn't think that made a difference.

If your chancellor is good and/or you get very lucky, you can sometimes fabricate a claim on an entire duke-level title, not just a county. Petty kingdoms are this rank, so that seems like tbe most likely thing. It's not always immediately obvious as you have to read the success letter carefully to see whether it's a ducal claim or a county one, and as they often share names it's quite possible to end up warring for one or the other without noticing.

• Locked thread