Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Most of what they call math in grade or high school is really just numbers. It's like instead of English you took "words" classes for 12 years.

Unless you went to a particularly good high school it tends to leave you horribly unprepared for any higher math.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Desuwa posted:

Most of what they call math in grade or high school is really just numbers. It's like instead of English they you took "words" classes for 12 years.

Unless you went to a particularly good high school it tends to leave you horribly unprepared for any higher math.

This is absolutely true. What most schools teach as mathematics is really just tedious clerical busywork. It's a shame, because mathematics is really loving interesting. If we taught it closer to how we might a course on philosophy, students would a) be more engaged, and b) do better at university level.

I encourage anyone who hasn't to read "Lockhart's Lament". I found it to be very cathartic.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The Evil Thing posted:

This is absolutely true. What most schools teach as mathematics is really just tedious clerical busywork. It's a shame, because mathematics is really loving interesting. If we taught it closer to how we might a course on philosophy, students would a) be more engaged, and b) do better at university level.

I encourage anyone who hasn't to read "Lockhart's Lament". I found it to be very cathartic.

Of course, a flipside to this is that there's a lot of basic stuff that everyone uses that really is tedious clerical busywork. There's only so many ways to do arithmetic, and it's a vital skill that absolutely everyone has to master because it's used every day. Furthermore, because schools have to cater to the lowest common denominator, most school math involves making absolutely sure that everyone understands these basic, fundamental operations. And that requires repetition and rote memorization.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I think the response to that in the aforementioned mathematician's lament is that you may as well just use a calculator if that's all you're going to use math for.

Teaching math "correctly" is just an impossible scenario. There aren't nearly enough qualified teachers to pull it off, and it'd require restructuring the entire curriculum (and all associated subjects like physics) and changing the public consciousness. The current system is staggeringly awful and perpetuates a constant stream of students who finish their education despising the subject, but at the very least it's feasible.

EDIT: "It sucks, but at least it's possible" is the basis behind any sort of standardized institution, really.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 20, 2014

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Of course, a flipside to this is that there's a lot of basic stuff that everyone uses that really is tedious clerical busywork. There's only so many ways to do arithmetic, and it's a vital skill that absolutely everyone has to master because it's used every day. Furthermore, because schools have to cater to the lowest common denominator, most school math involves making absolutely sure that everyone understands these basic, fundamental operations. And that requires repetition and rote memorization.

I quite agree. Obviously, we need to teach people the basic skills to operate in modern society, and learning addition, subtraction etc. is no different from learning how to read, to use Desuwa's analogy. Multiplication is not something that naturally explains itself to us, so we genuinely do have to learn times tables by rote. Similarly, by the time we get to subjects usually covered in English, students already know how to read and write the alphabet, how words are spelt and basic to intermediate grammar.

I don't expect a 10-year-old to do bracket expansion, but neither do I expect them to understand semicolon use. Equally, I'm struggling to think of examples where I'd actually need bracket expansion for just about any non-STEM occupation. Learning matrix multiplication was a PITA, and I doubt I'll ever encounter it again without seeking it out. SOH CAH TOA? Carpentry could be fun I guess. Secants? Unless you're planning on navigating a ship by the stars... Anyway, I dare say that's the core of most people's objection to modern mathematics education.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Maths is pretty interesting but the boring clerical step-following does put all but the more motivated people off. That being said maths isnt for everyone. Its one of those subjects that requires real passion out of the person in question when you do get to the higher end of it all.

Any ways what 'intelligence' is representing in the gamer seems more like intuition than anything else. The speed at which you can process and get the gist of information. Like when super fast arithmetic is mistaken for a true grasp of mathematics or some nebulous definition of intelligence.

The difference between it and wisdom is that wisdom comes with forethought and hindsight.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 20, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Desuwa posted:

Most of what they call math in grade or high school is really just numbers. It's like instead of English they you took "words" classes for 12 years.

It's really more about the teachers. Some math teachers really want you to understand what and why math is, others just want to herd this particular group of shitheads through another semester. Same with every class, really. I nearly failed my last English class because the teacher wanted to do a creative writing class but kept marking down my papers because I had "awkward sentences" when I was trying to write natural dialogue.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

The Evil Thing posted:

So...any suggestion for learning non-clerical math for the fun of it?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Soylentbits posted:

Seconding this. I multiply large numbers in my head when I have nothing else to do and I've still never really gotten into the whole "greater beauty of math" thing.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
I'd recommend cryptography as a math thing that's fun, I just finished an elective in it and it was full of "oh wow, that makes a lot of sense!" moments. Learning how RSA encryption works is surprisingly entertaining.

EDIT: gently caress am I a nerd. This is a thread about a comic about a korean high schooler who gets video game powers, and I'm recommending recreational math.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Soylentbits posted:

Check out Khan Academy. No matter what level you are at, from grade-school to early-mid undergraduate there is a lot of great stuff on there presented in a way that's both easy to follow, and interesting.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Less a suggestion for learning math and more for learning to appreciate it: read Math Girls. It captures part of what I enjoy about math better than any other work I've consumed. I suppose it might be the only I'm aware of that tries.

Also apparently there's more than one volume? I'll have to look into that.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Soylentbits posted:

I guess it depends on your sense of aesthetics and fun. Decision theory and game theory explore some interesting problems about human behaviour; mathematical analysis is all about making numbers and more abstract ideas do neat stuff; geometry is all about shapes and how they interact.

A common analysis problem in a university first year exam would be "prove that the set of real numbers is uncountably infinite in size". Yes, proofs exist that you could memorise by rote, but it's not solvable by an algorithm students just plug numbers into.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Soylentbits posted:

Grab something about "Discrete Math" or "Computational Geometry". Both have quite a few direct and interesting applications without requiring high mathematical theory.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

So, like the integral of one over cabin d cabin is log cabin, right?

That was actually on a kinematics exam I had a VA Tech. The grad student teaching the course had gotten his MS at UVA and was getting his PhD at VA Tech. One of the questions involved a "roll of toilet paper" UVA diplomas set against a wall with graduation about to start. How much force at what angle is required to start the graduation process.

So, I guess math can be fun. I like simple things like calculating the formula for converting degrees C to F and such, calculating the formula for the volume of a cylinder, and how far a baseball thrown at such and such an angle with some initial velocity would travel.

Anyway, maybe an increased Wisdom would help solve word problems like "If Bobby has 5 apples and Rebekah eats 3 apples, how many apples are left?"

Hard to tell with game statistics because it's primarily all made-up poo poo anyway. Like really? Increased INT means a larger mana pool? Where is this actually proven in real-life? As far as I know, there's no such thing. For all we know, increased fat in your body means more mana (I think Robin Hobb has a book series that has this theme, really).

Each game tends to treat stats different per type -- although they all generally follow the same basic set of rules -- probably established by the first MMO's out there.

Maybe for The Gamer, it's that the rules existed via Gaia and game developers followed the "rules" without really knowing why.

This manhwa is highly entertaining, but I could do with less training and more action. This last chapter seemed to indicate that Han Ji Han was more or less a complete physical bum prior to getting his Gamer ability and didn't do any martial arts or real physical training. He has zero fighting experience -- except for now he's practiced against undead and ogres. His best friend is rightfully concerned about Han Ji Han going out into the PvP world. We all know that's a completely different story all together too. Usually, when starting PvP you get your rear end handed to you by who have been doing it for a while before you catch on.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Dan7el posted:

Anyway, maybe an increased Wisdom would help solve word problems like "If Bobby has 5 apples and Rebekah eats 3 apples, how many apples are left?"

I've heard INT and WIS described as analogous to Strength and Dexterity, so a high INT lets someone memorize things quickly and then apply those things, while WIS is more linked to being clever and lets someone think through problems that aren't just solvable by a known formula.

That said in D&D it's pretty much the exact opposite so who knows.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Soylentbits posted:

I'd suggest taking a stab at mathematical logic, also known as symbolic logic. It's a way of turning ordinary sentences into mathematical symbols and equations that can be analyzed logically. I find it fascinating and really helpful for reasoning, and the nice part about it is that it kind of "contains itself" -- it has everything you need to learn it, from first principles, so you don't need to know anything else, like geometry or algebra or calculus, to get started on it.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Thanks for the options. I've been through law school so logic isn't really a huge issue for me. Kind of hard to argue with math in novel and game theory form. That's sounds fun. But will doing these things increase the amount of fireballs I can shoot?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Soylentbits posted:

Thanks for the options. I've been through law school so logic isn't really a huge issue for me. Kind of hard to argue with math in novel and game theory form. That's sounds fun. But will doing these things increase the amount of fireballs I can shoot?

No, you'll have to get an industrial economy degree for that.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Just found this thread, today, and marathoned all 66 chapters. Holy poo poo this series is awesome! How often does it normally update? I know someone mentioned on the last page that updates have been slow lately due to some family issues with the author. Is it normally like a chapter a month, or a page every couple of days, or what?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Captain Bravo posted:

Just found this thread, today, and marathoned all 66 chapters. Holy poo poo this series is awesome! How often does it normally update? I know someone mentioned on the last page that updates have been slow lately due to some family issues with the author. Is it normally like a chapter a month, or a page every couple of days, or what?

It's about once a week, so you won't have to wait long. However there's more of a focus on the powering up than plot, so it takes a while to get from point A to point B storywise sometimes.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Ice Phisherman posted:

It's about once a week, so you won't have to wait long. However there's more of a focus on the powering up than plot, so it takes a while to get from point A to point B storywise sometimes.

Gamers do love their power climb followed by power trips. :allears:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I just love the fact that he's the most realistic main character I've seen in a long goddamned time.

"Oh, I've got super awesome powers and poo poo? Well, I'm probably still going to need a job, but I'd kind of like to use this power I have to help people out some, since doing that is pretty easy actually."

Plus the way he works his powers to create new poo poo out of thin air really strokes the spergin' gland inside the D&D portion of my brain that's been dormant for so long. :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ice Phisherman posted:

Theres not going to be any plot. It'll be another 40 chapters of him grinding followed by 1 chapter of him beating everyone because he's so overpowered

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Jose posted:

Theres not going to be any plot. It'll be another 40 chapters of him grinding followed by 1 chapter of him beating everyone because he's so overpowered

Yeah, it's like the author knows that a story's supposed to have conflict, but hasn't quite figured out what that's supposed to mean.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
So far the only reason he hasn't been killed is because the two murder wizards are around.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Personally I feel like the plot is the grinding.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Personally, I feel like its the exact same as every other shounen thing ever, barring (good) exceptions, except it's more obvious. Every anime/manga ends up with a huge training arc that takes dozens of chapters and then the hero goes out and he's more powerful than anything else because he's the protagonist and that's just how it is. And if they aren't the most powerful in the world then it goes to another training arc after the current bit is done.

In this it's just literally grinding, instead of just 'training arc'.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
All of the stuff with numerical stats and stacking passives satisfies a shameful nerd itch.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There was a bit at the beginning where he was looking at different foods to see how they buff him and restore health. Later he was trying to quickly eat a loaf of bread and a carton of milk when he was damaged.

I want to see more of that stuff.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
There's a new one out: http://mangacow.co/The-Gamer/67/?all

In this episode we get a history lesson.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Well that was mostly indecipherable. I appreciate the translator putting out work quickly but I don't know poo poo about Korean mythology and all of those clan names just start running together when I have no frame of reference to differentiate them.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

At least Jee-Han's eyes were glazing over too, so we're not alone in getting lost. Cool to see a little more of the background.

And way to freely give out important and potentially dangerous information, Jee-Han! You'll feel terrible if you just called out another hit squad on Sung-Ah. :colbert:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah why the gently caress did that moron shout it out?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I think he still hasn't fully grasped the fact that his barriers are able to be easily entered by other people.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I like that France, Germany and Europe are considered separate factions.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Evil Thing posted:

To be fair, the French and Germans probably have similar feelings about the EU.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Poor Australia, South America, Africa, and Antarctica.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

The Evil Thing posted:

That's honestly kind of a clever political jibe. It's true in real life too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I kind of love how in Korean comics whenever some world spanning organization is brought up Korea is always one of or the strongest countries.