Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol someone buy this and help put SA back in the black!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Last Chance posted:

:smilie:

that's 17kb

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
what the gently caress

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

max4me posted:

Is there any way to browse with out being tracked?

TAILS OS + tor browser

you didnt ask if there was a good way to browse with out being tracked

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Last Chance posted:

under what name?

:thiskillsthefishmech: ?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

prefect posted:

:smilie:

that's 17kb

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

is it the boobies? i bet it's the boobies.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:nsavince:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I just noticed that when you search for _____ wiki on google, it defaults to the unencrypted plain http link on wikipedia, even if you search for it on the https version of google. They should really fix that so it defaults to https. Because right now, if you search for something on google with https, the plain html link to wikipedia is going to have your search query in the referer which defeats the purpose. Really it should default to the https version of search and results should be https too. Fuzzy Mammal tell them to fix this please ty

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hail to you, friend

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

should have bought a couple of pizzas with that money

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BONGHITZ posted:

should have bought a couple of pizzas with that money

i'm already fat

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

lol

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
lowtax's children eat for another day

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Smythe posted:

Wear a mask

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
google pls don't buy tesla i actually wouldn't mind seeing tesla succeed

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I rode in my friend's tesla the other day and it's a nice car and all but definitely not $80,000 nice. the acceleration will break your neck, which is amazing for a car that heavy but the ride quality is poor and the interior luxury features are non-existent.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

I rode in my friend's tesla the other day and it's a nice car and all but definitely not $80,000 nice. the acceleration will break your neck, which is amazing for a car that heavy but the ride quality is poor and the interior luxury features are non-existent.

they've found a way to get rich nerds to buy a luxury car instead of a nerdmobile prius, that's all

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol now ask ur self which car manufacturer is gonna sign on to this and give up margin to google, especially when they're already developing their own semi-driverless features

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

lol now ask ur self which car manufacturer is gonna sign on to this and give up margin to google, especially when they're already developing their own semi-driverless features

lol cremnob has returned to posting giant photos of articles noone will read instead of quotes because of apple dying and google owning

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cremnob for worst gimmick 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

reminder that the LIDAR unit google uses costs $70,000

and that the system requires an inch-level manually curated 3d map of the roads the car is supposed to drive, which at the moment (after years of development) only exists for a few thousand miles of roads around the sf bay area

and that the cars have to be explicitly told where to expect stoplights and other traffic control devices or they'll ignore them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i suppose it's reasonable that in the next decade or so they could map out all of the interstates and controlled-access highways, since there are no streetlights and the situations are somewhat easier, and only enable automatic mode on those, where it's most useful anyway

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I would only trust an automatic car on a highway and by "trust" I mean "would still definitely avoid" because no way is a full automated car going to be feasible in general within the next several years

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Google is developing an at grade personal rapid transit system but doesn't want to admit it to themselves

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Google has literally no loving plan for how to commercialize their research. they don't have the patience for regulatory compliance or safety testing, they're trying to pawn it off on someone else

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i have a self driving car already its called take a few klonopins and get behind the wheel. totally afk driving.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Why bother researching self-driving cars when soon enough we'll have a massive underclass willing to chauffeur you around for scraps anyway

Uber is just the beginning

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Management posted:

Google has literally no loving plan for how to commercialize their research. they don't have the patience for regulatory compliance or safety testing, they're trying to pawn it off on someone else

Smythe posted:

i have a self driving car already its called take a few klonopins and get behind the wheel. totally afk driving.

google management on klonopin

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Management posted:

uh this is exactly how you commercialize a thing you're not equipped to build yourself

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
google: more of an ideas guy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i bet they literally have a lovely NLP bot going over the patents database make up lovely ideas for them

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

google: more of an ideas guy

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I wonder what happens if you cut a self driving car off? presumably it'd be set to slow way down if all of the sudden brake lights are in front of it. lol at the idea that the company that made your self driving car is going to be responsible when it causes an accident.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yeah, how does liability insurance work in the case of self-driving cars? cause ultra-lol if the consumer is the one held liable (they will be lol)

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
same way it does now for ppl whose digitally controlled car stops responding i guess???

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it doesn't, that's where the whole thing falls apart. we can make a car today that's totally autonomous on highways, but no car maker will let you take your hands off the wheel while the car drives. the minute there is no person as a backup the liability falls on the automaker and that's basically an impossible position for them.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
speeding down the road, mercilessly cutting off the robot cars because, hell, they're programmed to avoid collisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The Management posted:

it doesn't, that's where the whole thing falls apart. we can make a car today that's totally autonomous on highways, but no car maker will let you take your hands off the wheel while the car drives. the minute there is no person as a backup the liability falls on the automaker and that's basically an impossible position for them.

I dunno I guess you could have it be like in I robot or whatever movie where the car switches between manual and auto control, require hands on the wheel in auto mode in order to make the car go and have it pull over automatically if the hands are removed. it doesn't matter because autonomous cars are stupid other than possibly as a replacements to taxis, then have the taxi company be responsible for liability.

• Locked thread