Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
The lacking story holds it back for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

TheRealestMatt posted:

The lacking story holds it back for me.

I really liked the story in Revengeance, but I was looking at it like it was a dumb action movie story and not a Metal Gear story, so that might be why I enjoyed it more than you did.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I also liked the story of MGR, but I also hated what I played of Wonderful 101 so what do I know?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nothing, that's what you know.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Al-Saqr posted:

Let's first see how keiji Inafune handles mighty number nine, if he succeeds he deserves megaman again, if he fucks up, Reggie's body gets to have it.

Inafune hasn't made a good game in a decade I don't see why he would suddenly start now

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

It says Metal Gear on the box though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh it's a Metal Gear story, maybe even the most Metal Gear story.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Metal Gear Rising probably wouldn't be improved by 45-90 minute cutscenes though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Commissar Ken posted:

A) I'm pretty sure he gets poo poo here and there on his like of Killer Instinct, hence the big giant check schtick (SHILLING PURPOSES)

B) If you really dig Asura's Wrath and don't wanna watch a video of 4 guys just making GBS threads all over it you... don't watch it? I lucked out that they're normal people most of the time and liked RE4 but if it was a video of Matt making GBS threads all over it I wouldn't watch that. I'd just run him down with my car or something.

C) Link Between Worlds was fun and good.

A) I wasn't really specifically meaning KI exclusively. Just in general if you're gonna poop on a game someone likes make sure you don't get fussy when someone does it to you

B) Never said I would if it came out (I totally will though). The only thing I stopped watching from the channel was Season 2 and that's because that playthrough was abysmal. Not because they didn't agree with what I thought.

C) I said in my post it wasn't a bad game so I agree? I can still think it's okay even if it's way too easy and toothless. I just don't get the boundless praise for it when it's probably the most mediocre Zelda in awhile.

Then again after Skyward Sword anything would look like a masterpiece

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

A) I wasn't really specifically meaning KI exclusively. Just in general if you're gonna poop on a game someone likes make sure you don't get fussy when someone does it to you

B) Never said I would if it came out (I totally will though). The only thing I stopped watching from the channel was Season 2 and that's because that playthrough was abysmal. Not because they didn't agree with what I thought.

C) I said in my post it wasn't a bad game so I agree? I can still think it's okay even if it's way too easy and toothless. I just don't get the boundless praise for it when it's probably the most mediocre Zelda in awhile.

Then again after Skyward Sword anything would look like a masterpiece

That's the thing, it's not the most mediocre Zelda. Not even by a long shot, the vast majority of people felt it was the best one in a long time...especially coming off the last two handheld Zeldas, which I struggle to think of any positives for.

Just curious, what do you think rank as the top Zeldas? I also wonder when "being hard" was a Zelda trope that needed to be followed? Aside from Zelda NES and Adventure of Link, none of the Zelda games have been particularly challenging.

TheRealestMatt fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 21, 2014

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

gently caress, double post.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh it's a Metal Gear story, maybe even the most Metal Gear story.

Yeah, sorry, this is true. It's Metal Gear Abridged and Distilled. No need for 5 hours of talking cutscenes when you can can do it in 1.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

TheRealestMatt posted:

We started a full LP of it a year ago, but Capcom gave us a copyright strike for uploading it as an unlisted video. We might return to it someday (maybe on the website) to properly explain to the dozens of people that like the game why their opinions are wrong.

I'd love a single video of that, or a podcast segment, but please don't do a full LP. There's not much to say beyond it's a bunch of cool ideas with no gameplay, boring writing, and bad pacing, and I think you'd end up repeating the same points over and over, or just talk about nothing, interrupted every 20 minutes by "OK, that thing WAS pretty cool. Now back to the bullshit".

Also, best Zeldas are, in no order, the NES original, Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess, and Link to the Past, and I will fight anyone who says anything different.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah, sorry, this is true. It's Metal Gear Abridged and Distilled. No need for 5 hours of talking cutscenes when you can can do it in 1.

Well, that's what I expect when I play a Metal Gear game...but that's besides the point, as you'll notice I never said, "It needs 5 hours of cutscenes" in the reasons why I think MGR's story is not great. It's flat, and not all that interesting. I didn't even go into the problems with Raiden turning into Jack at the 40% mark of the game and then just...everyone...kinda...slowly forgets about it? Sometimes he does the Ripper voice, sometimes he doesn't? It's super inconsistent and unfocused. That was so weird, and broke alot of the pacing and tension for me. The rest of the Zaibatsu feel the same in regards to that particular flaw.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I like the part where the elected official shoots a power geyser.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TheRealestMatt posted:

Well, that's what I expect when I play a Metal Gear game...but that's besides the point, as you'll notice I never said, "It needs 5 hours of cutscenes" in the reasons why I think MGR's story is not great. It's flat, and not all that interesting. I didn't even go into the problems with Raiden turning into Jack at the 40% mark of the game and then just...everyone...kinda...slowly forgets about it? Sometimes he does the Ripper voice, sometimes he doesn't? It's super inconsistent and unfocused. That was so weird, and broke alot of the pacing and tension for me.

I feel like those complaints can kind of extend to most of the Metal Gear Games though? All of them are full of flat uninteresting poo poo for the vast majority of their run time and kind of just forget characters and plot points whenever and for whatever ever reason to make the current scene make more sense.

And inconsistency/tonal whammy bars are kind of the franchise's bread and butter at this point. You go from fight men covered in bees and Angry Space Wraiths to serious discussions about Nuclear Geopolitics and then back to really dumb metaphors about characters' visions and beliefs occasionally watching a Ghost right down things on a ghost chalkboard to give you hints. And that's just a few hours in one game. You spend a lot of your time just fuddy-dudding around just getting from A to B and then the game has one or two amazing segments where everything's great, and then you go back to kind of just meandering "Get to here." It's also why 4's kind of the worst in terms of story because it's the one that's trying the hardest to be serious so all the jokey poo poo feels shoehorned in, like they're just call backs for call backs sake, or just painfully un-funny.

I LOVE MGS games but Pacing and tension are not exactly their strong suits. Hell, ground Zeroes has you going from chocking out a traumatized child to ripping a bomb out of a living girl to vagina bombs to Rescuing Hideo Kojima himself.

Beef Waifu posted:

I want HIdeo Kojima to hold me in his strong arms.

Hideo does not have strong arms. He can hug you with his strong heart, though.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 21, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Beef Waifu posted:

I want you to know that I was looking for that picture of Troy Baker and Kojima where they look like old lesbians but I could not find it so instead I will concur with this

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

by saying that metal gear revengence isnt the best game ever made ever, you have brought this upon yourself matt!! now you'll have to argue with platinum fans over a game you enjoyed for the rest of your life!!!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

by saying that metal gear revengence isnt the best game ever made ever, you have brought this upon yourself matt!! now you'll have to argue with platinum fans over a game you enjoyed for the rest of your life!!!

Rising is the best Metal Gear game but it doesn't even rank in the top 5 Platinum/Clover games :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's hard not to be better than Madworld and Okami, so yeah it beats those pretty easily.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Okami is cool and good. 3rd act is a bit weak and gently caress stray bead hunting though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okami's good, it's just way too long and the gameplay is not good enough to justify it.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Okami's good, it's just way too long and the gameplay is not good enough to justify it.

I always wonder if a PS4 rerelase could just disable the fight barriers or if that's like wholly fused to the game engine's DNA.

Also, if Vanquish had had that Robotic Dog-shaped Buddy all along, and if Kojima had made MGR like he had planned on doing at first, then none of us would have anything left to fight over.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I love Okami, it is a game I have played multiple times, but gently caress the walls, gently caress THOSE WALLS

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If there were like a top 5 Clover/Platinum list I were to make, I don't see any reason why I wouldn't put Revengeance in the top 5 since it has everything I want from both a Metal Gear and Platinum game. Also Vanquish is so loving good and if we could get it in 60FPS where Sam zooming around the god drat screen looking smooth as hell, then that would improve the game even more.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think all the video games are top ten.

e: Except civ 5. gently caress that game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hahahaha the Fisticuffs was so loving good

Aside from what's already been mentioned, the

"Putting a weapon inside a bigger version of it is the best way to improve it"

"Yeah, like putting tacos in lobsters."

"Exactly!"

"...WHAT?"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If anyone's really hankering for a playthrough of Asura's Wrath, Toddy finished a complete runthrough earlier this year. It's got handy timestamps in case you want to skip the gameplay bits, which I tended to do after the first showing of each enemy type. I'd agree I'd like to see a single video on Asura's Wrath by the Best Friends, but not an entire series. The "just don't watch it" argument falls flat since a full LP would take a good chunk of time and it would replace other, probably better video series. I've never actually played Asura's Wrath, but after watching that LP I'd have to say the gameplay looks like total garbage with a few exceptions(the fights against Wyzen at least had lots of style) while the cutscenes were usually at least entertaining. I also really, really, really love the artstyle and the futuristic take on ancient designs.

TheRealestMatt posted:

We started a full LP of it a year ago, but Capcom gave us a copyright strike for uploading it as an unlisted video. We might return to it someday (maybe on the website) to properly explain to the dozens of people that like the game why their opinions are wrong.
Please don't LP games you actively hate. It's almost never an entertaining watch, and especially if you've got a chip on your shoulder because of Capcom's bullshit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Invictus posted:

Please don't LP games you actively hate. It's almost never an entertaining watch, and especially if you've got a chip on your shoulder because of Capcom's bullshit.

I dunno, the Silent Hill: Downpour playthrough was pretty funny and I'm fairly certain you have to be the type that's in a straitjacket in a padded cell to enjoy that game.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Captain Invictus posted:

What about the Sadness trilogy? Pretty sure they hate those games.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I watched the entirety of Asura's Wrath on YouTube and I really enjoyed it but I'm sure playing it live wouldn't have made my experience any different at all.

Also if your favourite platinum game isn't God Hand what are you doing near video games?

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Here, let's change the language a little.

Don't LP games you are bored of when playing.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Captain Invictus posted:

Honestly the LP's of games they hate at least somewhat are some of the funniest ones to watch.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Intense disdain can certainly lend itself to good material. I thought the Walking Dead 2 LP was hilarious because of the (absolutely justified) dislike of Kenny. What spoilt it somewhat in hindsight was finding out that so many people actually like Kenny and think he's sympathetic. poo poo's frightening.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Well, at the very least, we try not to LP games that bore us, obviously.

There's games that we hate, like Prison Break, that are of the kinda hate that produces funny results.

Then there's stuff like Murdered Soul Suspect that are not terrible but also not very good at all, and it kinda results in a "meh" watch.

Then there's the hate for David Cage games.

THAT'S SPECIAL

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I am torn between wishing that David Cage retires and stops sucking Sony money and that he continues to work though this console generation just to provide you guys with high-quality batshit material for LPs.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Intense disdain can certainly lend itself to good material. I thought the Walking Dead 2 LP was hilarious because of the (absolutely justified) dislike of Kenny. What spoilt it somewhat in hindsight was finding out that so many people actually like Kenny and think he's sympathetic. poo poo's frightening.

But MAH FAMILY/THE BABY!

Anyway, it's a fine line I think. There were a few points where I genuinely wondered if they'd finish Evil Within just because they seemed to be hating parts of it so much. But then you have stuff like Prison Break and the David Cage Sadness Trilogy. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Prison Break was one of the best LP's because it's everything that suits Pat's strong points which is being completely baffled at basic gameplay mechanics completely gone and even ignored by the developers.