Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Rime posted:

$500 invested in Husky Energy on Monday would have returned $5500 today. Ffffffffuuuuuuuck me for not jumping on that wagon.

I shouldn't do math while hungover on deathwish.:doh:

Forget about Husky - did you see what happened to Talisman last week : )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Ironically the people we like to imagine as mouth breathing cro-magnons who barely passed highschool should, in theory, be better equipped in terms of financial education than the kids who took advanced mathematics in highschool. The "dumb-kid" math classes are largely about things like compounding interest, loan management, and fiscal responsibility. While I am illegible for entry to any higher education without redoing three years of highschool math, I've still a greater net worth than anyone I graduated with. :shrug:

So it's not that schools don't teach these topics, it's that they only teach them to the students which they view as utter failures. There's no room in the curriculum to teach stuff like this to the smart kids after all, too busy prepping them on the calculus and physics entrance requirements for their BA in the ethics of pottery.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
My high school of 650 kids per cohort had a single grade 12 class of calculus. And they could only find 20 students to take it - of which I was one.

Calculus class is not the reason for a generation's financial failures.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I think y'all are full of poo poo. Kids don't need better financial education. They need to be raised not to be greedy and materialistic pieces of poo poo. How about sitting these little motherfuckers down a couple hours a day having the fear of God driven into them on the evils of usury, greed and covetousness? Is it any wonder the most materialistic shithead in the canpol thread is a militant atheist?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Cultural Imperial posted:

I think y'all are full of poo poo. Kids don't need better financial education. They need to be raised not to be greedy and materialistic pieces of poo poo. How about sitting these little motherfuckers down a couple hours a day having the fear of God driven into them on the evils of usury, greed and covetousness? Is it any wonder the most materialistic shithead in the canpol thread is a militant atheist?

The Children's Crusade is here to save the day.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Yet I live within my means and have no debt, personal or corporate, so why don't you think about what you're saying, or better yet, just gently caress off?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
the bulldogger awakens

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Rime posted:

Ironically the people we like to imagine as mouth breathing cro-magnons who barely passed highschool should, in theory, be better equipped in terms of financial education than the kids who took advanced mathematics in highschool. The "dumb-kid" math classes are largely about things like compounding interest, loan management, and fiscal responsibility. While I am illegible for entry to any higher education without redoing three years of highschool math, I've still a greater net worth than anyone I graduated with. :shrug:

So it's not that schools don't teach these topics, it's that they only teach them to the students which they view as utter failures. There's no room in the curriculum to teach stuff like this to the smart kids after all, too busy prepping them on the calculus and physics entrance requirements for their BA in the ethics of pottery.

Here in BC, everyday I regret taking Principles Math 11 and 12 where I learned such amazingly useful things like quadratic functions, meanwhile, the "idiot" Math class (Math Essentials) learned all the useful mathematics.

I later went to university for liberal arts before I eventually jumped ship on that. Genius I was.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Am I too late to post a case-example of a money moron in Her Majesty's Canadian Armed Forces? Because I totally have Tuyop's thread from the finance forum bookmarked.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

swagger like us posted:

Here in BC, everyday I regret taking Principles Math 11 and 12 where I learned such amazingly useful things like quadratic functions, meanwhile, the "idiot" Math class (Math Essentials) learned all the useful mathematics.

I later went to university for liberal arts before I eventually jumped ship on that. Genius I was.

If only it were possible for one to learn arithmetic-based PF concepts outside of the setting of a high school math stream.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I don't know what it's like now but when I started undergrad they made all the BC students take a remedial calculus class before letting us take the big boys math class. Also, BC used to be the only province in Canada where linear algebra wasn't on the curriculum. loving lol

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I don't know what it's like now but when I started undergrad they made all the BC students take a remedial calculus class before letting us take the big boys math class. Also, BC used to be the only province in Canada where linear algebra wasn't on the curriculum. loving lol

I learned recently that BC essentially scrapped the concept of provincial exams, in effect removing the one equalizer for university admission.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Still waiting for the good old Calgary crash readjustment so I can start looking at buying. :smith:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Parents can't teach financial literacy if they are financially illiterate.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

cowofwar posted:

Parents can't teach financial literacy if they are financially illiterate.

That or survived crippling poverty or war.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rime posted:

This has been my experience- the students who they feel are going to NEED to know how to manage a chequebook, bank balance, bills, etc are always the low level, non academics, and the academic students are next door doing harder math that has fewer real world applications.

What they really need to do is add a new class or two of Lifeskills, maybe by eliminating "Family Studies" which still exists in 2014 (Family Studies being the class where students learn how loving annoying sewing machines are and 1 or 2 gifted or experienced students do all the work for their classmates).

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hey just to poll everyone, how many of you know at least one 'event planner'? Is this like the only viable career for a vancouverite with a psych major?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

This has been my experience- the students who they feel are going to NEED to know how to manage a chequebook, bank balance, bills, etc are always the low level, non academics, and the academic students are next door doing harder math that has fewer real world applications.

What they really need to do is add a new class or two of Lifeskills, maybe by eliminating "Family Studies" which still exists in 2014 (Family Studies being the class where students learn how loving annoying sewing machines are and 1 or 2 gifted or experienced students do all the work for their classmates).

Alberta has a mandatory grade 12 class that nominally is supposed to be like this called CALM (career and life management? I think?) But its not taken seriously at all, and most people do it as a module, and basically share answers with everyone just to get it over with. It was basically the class everyone would use as a homework period.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Browsing mls.ca and discovered demographic data!

That's $1000/sqft. 1 million dollars for a 2 bedroom 1000sqft ~condo.

:negative:

What gets me is the tendency to build 600 to 1,000 sq ft two-bedrooms ... with two bathrooms. Like, I get that in a real house you might want an en suite for the main bedroom, but for a tiny condo? I even saw an ad in the UBC alumnus magazine for a three-bedroom with three bathrooms.

It's like the condo equivalent of a McMansion.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Mederlock posted:

Alberta has a mandatory grade 12 class that nominally is supposed to be like this called CALM (career and life management? I think?) But its not taken seriously at all, and most people do it as a module, and basically share answers with everyone just to get it over with. It was basically the class everyone would use as a homework period.

When I did it a decade ago, it was grade 11, and you had to more or less never turn in anything, or never show up, in order to fail. And yeah, Career and Life Management, your period for lazy video watching or the like. Some stuff was good, but, you could easily slack through it like it was Art 10 or Cooking 10 (which had more written work than CALM did tbh).

And what do people figure rents will do, when poo poo finally crashes? No one has covered that really that I have seen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hey just to poll everyone, how many of you know at least one 'event planner'? Is this like the only viable career for a vancouverite with a psych major?

I know a few in Vancouver. Not psych major but a few of my vancouver friends moved there to further their jobs in media or marketing and just like hype events and marketing poo poo. To be fair most of them have careers in media, either radio hosts or work for tv/radio and "event planning" is just one of the many hats they have to wear.

Actually a friend who works for a local station in Victoria was dreading having to move to Vancouver to advance his career but he just got promoted to hosting the evening rush hour slot so they are so so super pumped to not have to move away like most of their other radio/media friends. They have an amazing big 2br apartment in the 2nd floor of a wonderfully restored turn of the century house for really low rent.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lead out in cuffs posted:

What gets me is the tendency to build 600 to 1,000 sq ft two-bedrooms ... with two bathrooms. Like, I get that in a real house you might want an en suite for the main bedroom, but for a tiny condo? I even saw an ad in the UBC alumnus magazine for a three-bedroom with three bathrooms.

If the condo is planned well it's awesome. I shared an 800ft 2br2ba and it was the perfect amount of space for two people in school.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Moinkmaster posted:

When I did it a decade ago, it was grade 11, and you had to more or less never turn in anything, or never show up, in order to fail. And yeah, Career and Life Management, your period for lazy video watching or the like. Some stuff was good, but, you could easily slack through it like it was Art 10 or Cooking 10 (which had more written work than CALM did tbh).

And what do people figure rents will do, when poo poo finally crashes? No one has covered that really that I have seen.

We had Careers in Ontario, where we did a quiz about what career we were suited for and they made everyone choose the "requires a college or university degree" button after one person got "Waste Truck Driver." (Who apparently make really good money?)

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

bartlebyshop posted:

We had Careers in Ontario, where we did a quiz about what career we were suited for and they made everyone choose the "requires a college or university degree" button after one person got "Waste Truck Driver." (Who apparently make really good money?)

I think of the maybe 3 or 4 of those I did in class time in high school, none of them were in CALM. :iiam:

And yeah, a friend of mine did it for a few years, and said that the pay was magnificent, but the hours were poo poo :j:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Moinkmaster posted:

I think of the maybe 3 or 4 of those I did in class time in high school, none of them were in CALM. :iiam:

And yeah, a friend of mine did it for a few years, and said that the pay was magnificent, but the hours were poo poo :j:

We had to write resumes as well, but we never did any "how to not gently caress up a job interview" or financial planning stuff. You'd think a class like this would have mentioned TFSAs or RRSPs or mutual funds or whatever, but nope. We did have one module that was about how to respond to depressed coworkers or other students, where your options were to tell them to "sleep more" or "reduce their stress".

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Moinkmaster posted:

I don't think rents will change much unless there's a significant reduction in population. In London UK, we saw rents remain relatively stable in 2009 even though the borough I was living in (Hammersmith and Fulham) experienced a mass exodus of Polish immigrants. Marginal shitholes in the Tar Sands are going to see a nice reduction of white trash and thus, rents.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Rime posted:

swagger like us posted:

As far as I know, compound interest is covered at some point in the Principles of Math sequence, and there's more time spent on things like probability and statistics. It is definitely not the case that we need to teach students less 'useless math' like quadratic functions -- having taught at the university level in BC, I don't think that spending less time on math is a viable solution (although this country isn't exactly awash in attractive STEM careers). IMO personal finance should be taught in what was called 'CAPP' (career and personal planning) when I was in school, and most of the important lessons are behavioral rather than mathematical at their core.

If you are a highly skilled worker in a quantitative field you can work just about anywhere in the world, often for a lot more money than you would make in Canada. That's definitely not something you can say about a lot of the careers that have been 'hot' in Canada over the last 10 years, and it's something that's probably going to be a lot more relevant in the next 10 years.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

In a 1000 square foot condo I would certainly want 2 bathrooms.

I know exactly one, but she's a college (not university) dropout. I unfriended her on Facebook when she started filling the whole thing up with MLM bullshit.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

blah_blah posted:

If you are a highly skilled worker in a quantitative field you can work just about anywhere in the world, often for a lot more money than you would make in Canada. That's definitely not something you can say about a lot of the careers that have been 'hot' in Canada over the last 10 years, and it's something that's probably going to be a lot more relevant in the next 10 years.

Totally agreed but not without lament. In the UK it's completely viable to have a successful career with a humanities degree from oxbridge (imo, even when you control for all the class system bullshit) because if you get a degree in latin or classics or the much vaunted combination of politics, philosophy and economics, you would have proven yourself as intellectual capable of completing difficult tasks, meeting a very high standard of academic rigour.

You can't prove yourself unless you've completed a degree in engineering or math from a Canadian university because the humanities are rife with loving idiots (cf Tsur Sommerville holding a professorship). I sure as gently caress would think twice about hiring a Canadian economics grad from anywhere other than U of T.

And it sounds like this is getting worse. How the gently caress is the province dumping provincial exams?? Is this some sort of measure aimed at proliferating private schools?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Totally agreed but not without lament. In the UK it's completely viable to have a successful career with a humanities degree from oxbridge (imo, even when you control for all the class system bullshit) because if you get a degree in latin or classics or the much vaunted combination of politics, philosophy and economics, you would have proven yourself as intellectual capable of completing difficult tasks, meeting a very high standard of academic rigour.

I think that the main thing is signaling (you can say the same thing about most Harvard or Princeton or Stanford students, for example). For better or worse, Canadian universities are generally fairly large and have a fairly high acceptance rate, and even the high end (U of T, McGill, UBC) still admit a bunch of really mediocre students. This means that the degree on its own provides almost no signal, especially if it's paired with an 'easy' major.

And it sounds like this is getting worse. How the gently caress is the province dumping provincial exams?? Is this some sort of measure aimed at proliferating private schools?

It's ridiculous. The exams were not particularly well-written, but they at least provided some sort of barrier from rampant grade inflation. Now there is nothing standing in the way of that. I'd much rather have the US college admissions process, flawed as it is, than the Canadian one. If a US student has a 2300 on the new SAT and a bunch of AP exams with 4s and 5s I'm pretty sure I know what I'm getting. If a student from BC has a 92% average in their Grade 12 courses it's much less clear.

I don't think there's any connection to private schools, though.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 21, 2014

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The trend when I was graduating in 2008 was that Highschool was effectively elementary school, and impossible to gently caress up bad enough to fail unless you deliberately dropped out. You don't fail a kid, that might irreparably damage their poor fragile egos, so everyone graduates.

Removing the provincial exams also removes what was the one major barrier to ensuring that as many warm bodies as possible move on to University, where they can be milked like a money cow.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
All "personal finance" is just-world-fallacy bullshit opium for the masses, because you know the only reason poor people are poor and not bourgeois shitheels is because of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. Maybe you should just PERSONAL FINANCE harder next time huh?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

etalian posted:

Yeah basically the US real estate bubble is starting again since nothing was learned from the 2009 crash.
Starting? Its been going on for a while now.

At least a couple of years.

Without a corresponding significant increase in income + jobs for a huge portion of the population (ie. 10's of millions) you're not supposed to see housing prices go up like they've been doing. If anything home prices should be dropping further since most of the jobs being created are low paying service positions with little to no benefits. People have been getting poorer, not richer, during the 'recovery' while the cost of living (ie. housing, medical care, school/college) has been going up.

I've come to the conclusion that the US housing bubble has permanently damaged the rationality of most people in the US when it comes to housing.

And that the monied interests who benefited from the fallout of the last housing bubble are very well aware of it and expect to take another bite of the proverbial apple this time around too.

The really sad thing is they're probably right.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

They did this at SFU for sure

Also there wasn't linear algebra in high-school when I went through 2000-2004

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

In the UK it's completely viable to have a successful career with a humanities degree from oxbridge (imo, even when you control for all the class system bullshit) because if you get a degree in latin or classics or the much vaunted combination of politics, philosophy and economics, you would have proven yourself as intellectual capable of completing difficult tasks, meeting a very high standard of academic rigour.

This is true on the academic rigour, but on the class system end, something like 80% of Oxbridge students had private high school educations. Some of those may have been from poorer classes attending on scholarships, but
:negative:.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

JawKnee posted:

They did this at SFU for sure

They don't do quite this anymore, but UBC has different streams for calculus, and they try to separate students who have taken calculus in high school from students who haven't (Math 100/180 for students going into science-y majors, and Math 104/184 for students going into business-type majors). They converge in second semester (integral calculus). The 180/184 students (the ones who aren't supposed to have taken calculus previously) get the same exams but have slightly easier assessment criteria (more weight on easy parts of the course like homework or workshops).

Taking calculus in high school is definitely more popular than it used to be, I'd say that well over half of UBC students who enroll in a major which requires calculus take a calculus class in high school at this point in time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I only did math until grade 11, took the basic math, and barely got a C with heavy tutoring :(

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My school didn't offer calculus in high school because like three people would have taken it, so when I got to university I had to do the calc 12 equivalent course before I could do the university level course.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

The CF are just like the rest of any government bureacracy, a daycare for remedial adults.

Hahahahaha, get hosed. Nyiu have no idea what a government bureaucracy does despite having its hands tied.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

I like how my partner and I fall into the grey-coloured portion of the pie and yet don't dare imagine buying a house in Vancouver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Baronjutter posted:

I only did math until grade 11, took the basic math, and barely got a C with heavy tutoring :(

high school math teachers suck (at least the ones I and various people I know who went to school here in BC had). You build on a foundation, and if your foundation is crappy you won't do well; I went to SFU for my first degree (a BA) and during it I retook everything from math 100 on up - way way better to have someone competent teaching you.