Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dick Trauma posted:

My second boss just got promoted to Director. :shepicide:

gently caress them DT. Forget you ever worked there and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Congrats on getting another job. Strange that you are already tense about this one though. Usually there is a grace period where everything is great.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Dick Trauma posted:

Seriously, if you don't stop watching your old job then that emote is going to come true. I haven't been following this thread long enough to know all your history at that job (other than it was horrible) but I can still say you absolutely need to let it go and not look back.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
If you're going to appeal the unemployment thing, fine. If you're going to take some other kind of action against the company, fine. But if you're not going to do anything about what they've done to you, why are you torturing yourself? Tell whatever friends you have at the company (I'm assuming that's where you're getting your news) to stop talking to you about the company. For gently caress's sake.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Dick Trauma posted:

Is everyone in that place a manager or director? Feels like it... And please take care of yourself. I know it is tempting to follow what happens at the old place (wife works at my old place, so I get all the info. I left on a good note however), but that place is toxic for you. I am sorry if I offend you, but I care more about you then I should for a internet man I have no idea who is, have never and will never meet.

Please, watch your health, both physical and mental.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

nThing the appeal the unemployment thing but simply because gently caress them. they sound awful and you should make them miserable because its always fun.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Crowley posted:

In Denmark they go by the name Accidenture. They hosed up the City of Copenhagen's migration to a new (Accenture driven) payroll system so bad it cost them $millions to fix, and in the end they had to roll back several months' of pay for a thousand people that for some reason or other just didn't show up as having been paid or not. Some people got $0 for months while others got quadruple pay. The City had to make emergency bank transfers to cover the affected people and wound up publicly begging all their employees to go over their pay stubs and accounts carefully and transfer any extra pay back voluntarily, because no one knew who got too much.

The company still exist in Denmark, but they haven't gotten any big clients since that stunt, and most of their employees are fresh out of college because anyone with a reputation doesn't want them on their CV. :v:

As someone who works in government payroll how the heel do you not know how much you paid someone?

I can see how having the wrong salary or hours if it gets cocked up but no output files? No record of what was paid? How did this get past testing?

No wonder they are shunned.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
This pisses me off and it didn't even happen to me.

http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/2pycdd/my_first_day_was_my_last_day_would_like_some/

Please unfuck our entire IT infrastructure literally from top to bottom by yourself in a month. You will be paid 15 an hour and you have no budget. :catstare:

Luckily bro just straight up bailed on them before he touched their garbage fire and became their scapegoat when it inevitably falls on their heads.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

skooma512 posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/2pycdd/my_first_day_was_my_last_day_would_like_some/

Please unfuck our entire IT infrastructure literally from top to bottom by yourself in a month. You will be paid 15 an hour and you have no budget. :catstare:

Luckily bro just straight up bailed on them before he touched their garbage fire and became their scapegoat when it inevitably falls on their heads.
It's reddit, so it's about as believable as The Daily WTF.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

21" CRT sounds pretty cool though.

I wonder how they make money, presumably a captive market.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

MrMoo posted:

21" CRT sounds pretty cool though.

I wonder how they make money, presumably a captive market.

Healthcare Applications Company.txt

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I would have asked for a blank check before walking out the door. $15/hr is straight bullshit but if they'd sign over a mil for some horseshit "Infrastructure modernization project" that's a hell of a resume builder. Oh wait what's that noise it's my alarm going off, time to stop dreaming

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Reading it, it looks like they weren't even aware what was actually broken. WinXP still runs, and we can still get on the completely unsecured WiFi with shares with private information available without any form of authentication - but we can still work, so what's the issue?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

anthonypants posted:

It's reddit, so it's about as believable as The Daily WTF.

You honestly don't think that would happen? It sounds believable to me.

Even if it's not true for some reason; I guarantee it's true at some company.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 22, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

"For password reset requests, please log in to the helpdesk application."

Hey, anyone wanna guess what you need to log in to the helpdesk application?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

psydude posted:

Your direct extension?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

psydude posted:

A functional brain?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Your password, you need your password.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

psydude posted:

Your password, you need your password.

Obviously not, since you need to reset it :colbert:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The workaround is to ask someone else for their password, then log in as them to submit a password reset request for your account, duh.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Manslaughter posted:

The workaround is to ask someone else for their password, then log in as them to submit a password reset request for your account, duh.

poo poo pissing me off today is just how drat full the office is. Was really looking forward to a calm quiet day with a half empty office and was instead greeted with an office full of marketing execs yukking it up and causing trouble.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Manslaughter posted:

probably how Sony was hacked

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Not IT related at all, but still pissing me off more every month: Companies crying wolf in snail mail. Since "Return Service Requested" and "Important Information Enclosed" on an envelope are both code for "this is unsolicited junk mail, no need to open ever," what is the code phrase for something that I actually need to look at? My ISP sends poo poo all the time like this, and lately my loving BANK has decided to start, which I find rather vile considering how important it would be for me to not miss something from my bank that pertains to my actual accounts.

The only phrase that I've been able to trust is "Important Tax Information Enclosed" which tells me that there has to be a federal law involved, or companies would by lying about that poo poo too.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
The class of mail is usually a pretty good indicator. Bulk advertising garbage will be standard, statements and things you need to care about will be first class.

I just open everything, some companies like to use very nondescript envelopes for sensitive things.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

thebigcow posted:

The class of mail is usually a pretty good indicator. Bulk advertising garbage will be standard, statements and things you need to care about will be first class.

I just open everything, some companies like to use very nondescript envelopes for sensitive things.

My question was mostly rhetorical and sarcastic so as to portray my frustration, but that's actually a nice little tip; I hadn't noticed it before but a quick look at what I have in front of me bears you out. Otherwise, I tend to open the stuff that doesn't have messages; every bank statement for instance has nothing extraneous printed on it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

New guy, if I can stand behind you and smell your bad breathe, eat a mint.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Che Delilas posted:

My question was mostly rhetorical and sarcastic so as to portray my frustration, but that's actually a nice little tip; I hadn't noticed it before but a quick look at what I have in front of me bears you out. Otherwise, I tend to open the stuff that doesn't have messages; every bank statement for instance has nothing extraneous printed on it.

I just keep a paper recycling bin right next to my letterbox. It makes junk mail much less annoying to deal with.

I guess for you US types with your external mailboxes, you'd put it next to wherever you carry the mail to before looking at it?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Che Delilas posted:

If you're really bored you can look up the bulk mailing rules in the Domestic Mail Manual. http://pe.usps.com/

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

Just because we work at a medical facility doesn't mean you can put a jar of your kids piss in the IT minifridge.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

HalloKitty posted:

You honestly don't think that would happen? It sounds believable to me.

Even if it's not true for some reason; I guarantee it's true at some company.

Given some of the crazy poo poo I've seen here, I've started to believe just about anything. When you come into a startup and see the CTO has written code that reads data from a random internet-open port and then sticks that unescaped data onto a command line as root, you start to believe any horror is possible.

I had an interview for a place a few months ago that thankfully told me they were "really behind on projects" and were just looking for someone to help them catch their all-in-wonder business app up to schedule. Needless to say, uh, no thanks :stare:

Simpleboo posted:

Just because we work at a medical facility doesn't mean you can put a jar of your kids piss in the IT minifridge.

Did someone seriously do this? :stonk:

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

Yes.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Zamujasa posted:

I'd be horrified, but ever since The Tale of Sirotan and the Spec Bucket Laptop, these anecdotes just don't have the same kind of impact.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Che Delilas posted:

Spec Bucket Laptop

:barf:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

should have dropped some poppy seeds into it and watch him get busted for opium addiction

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

spog posted:

should have dropped some poppy seeds into it and watch him get busted for opium addiction

It was his two year old daughters urine. I don't think his two year old is going to get busted for opium.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Simpleboo posted:

It was his two year old daughters urine. I don't think his two year old is going to get busted for opium.

This would have made it even funnier.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

skooma512 posted:

If that is real I think the only viable course of action is to write a polite sort of resignation letter highlighting that with no budget to fix the numerous problems there is massive risk within their operation that you wouldn't go near with a barge pole. If you were really kind you could give them some sort of indicative plan saying I suggest to mitigate the risks you should spend X on implementing Y.

Then when the money man says no and it all goes wrong you can just say I told you so. In fairness when I was 22 I wouldn't have thought like that

Lum posted:

I just keep a paper recycling bin right next to my letterbox. It makes junk mail much less annoying to deal with.

I guess for you US types with your external mailboxes, you'd put it next to wherever you carry the mail to before looking at it?

I've only been at my job 9 months and either the people who dish out the internal post here are stupid (possible) or the general staff are too lazy to bin their junk mail so instead throw it in other random internal post thingys, as I quite often find random rubbish that is clearly labelled to other people all over the place.

My tactic was removing the label from my shelf as anything important gets given to me anyway... They've finally realised and and put my name on in pen... Thinking about it mischiviously I might turn the shelf around tomorrow :cool:

angry armadillo fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 23, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

angry armadillo posted:

My tactic was removing the label from my shelf as anything important gets given to me anyway... They've finally realised and and put my name on in pen... Thinking about it mischiviously I might turn the shelf around tomorrow :cool:

Hang onto it, sorted by recipient, and when enough builds up for one person, dump it haphazardly across their desk, keyboard and chair while they're at lunch or on vacation.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Simpleboo posted:

No, but she will be taken away by CPS together with SWAT agents if they're unlucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Simpleboo posted:

There's a story in here about how my wife almost got taken away from her then-guardian at the age of 5 because of a nutso bio-mom, an anonymous call to CPS, and a badly-timed poppyseed bagel, but suffice it to say that stranger things have happened.