Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Really looking forward to armada. Though the lack of variety for wave 1 ships looks annoying.

Weeeell… it's rather similar to how X-Wing started: X, Y, TIE, TIE-A, two of which were the same as the base set but with different cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
True, but I wasn't interested in those since no star destroyers! So its new to me! Though from what I recall about playing tie fighter, a swarm of rebel starfighters is a legit threat to any capital ship.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Really looking forward to armada. Though the lack of variety for wave 1 ships looks annoying.

I think they could've sold a lot more people on it if they included Imperial Class Star Destroyers and Mon Calamari Star Cruisers. I understand that they want to make it a wave based game like X-Wing, but the price point for the core set and the prices on the expansions doesn't excite me if I'm not getting Cool Ships.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

alg posted:

I think they could've sold a lot more people on it if they included Imperial Class Star Destroyers and Mon Calamari Star Cruisers. I understand that they want to make it a wave based game like X-Wing, but the price point for the core set and the prices on the expansions doesn't excite me if I'm not getting Cool Ships.

Eh, victory class is close enough, and I would say the nebulon b and the blockade runner are way more iconic than the mon cals. Also there's a question of balance. Gotta save the ship that can actually go toe to toe for the expansions!

The assault frigate though... I guess it shows they're digging deep?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Eh, victory class is close enough, and I would say the nebulon b and the blockade runner are way more iconic than the mon cals. Also there's a question of balance. Gotta save the ship that can actually go toe to toe for the expansions!

The assault frigate though... I guess it shows they're digging deep?

There really isn't much out there from the films beyond what's in Wave 1, especially if they don't want to compromise too much on scale. From the films for the Imperials, you've got ISDs, which would be gigantic, and the Executor, which would be a table to play on, not a ship. All the Rebels have left from the films are transports and MonCals (also too big). Everything else is around fighter scale.

Presumably there will be a lot of EU stuff due to this issue, though I'm not sure how the new Disney policy will affect that. I'd expect to see Carracks, Lancers, and Dreadnoughts most likely for the Imperials and stuff from video games mostly for the Rebels since even the books don't give them a lot of unique capital ships. I do wonder if it was a mistake to go at Victory scale since there's a lot more big ships out there than medium ships, probably because writers think they're cooler to write. ISD-MonCal would have been a solid, recognizable starter set and you could include Victory's and Nebulon-B's as small ships to round out a force.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I think you'll run out of ships soonish at Imperial scale too, but idk

I wonder if we'll get some bigger small craft, think blast boats and idk... YT-XX00? as a single ship, to use to screen fighters, be torpedo boats

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Welp, I think I got a faulty AT-ST in my Imperial Assault. The legs don't fit on it and fit on the base. The right foot is way off. Gonna send in a request now so I can hopefully get good parts to play after the holidays.

edit: Hot water trick worked :unsmith:

alg fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 18, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Goddamn, I wish it was in Australia!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Leo Showers posted:

Goddamn, I wish it was in Australia!

Yep :smith:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Take comfort that you can walk outdoors without all the flora and fauna trying to kill you, while you wait patiently for ImpAss

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

blackmongoose posted:

There really isn't much out there from the films beyond what's in Wave 1, especially if they don't want to compromise too much on scale. From the films for the Imperials, you've got ISDs, which would be gigantic, and the Executor, which would be a table to play on, not a ship. All the Rebels have left from the films are transports and MonCals (also too big). Everything else is around fighter scale.

Presumably there will be a lot of EU stuff due to this issue, though I'm not sure how the new Disney policy will affect that. I'd expect to see Carracks, Lancers, and Dreadnoughts most likely for the Imperials and stuff from video games mostly for the Rebels since even the books don't give them a lot of unique capital ships. I do wonder if it was a mistake to go at Victory scale since there's a lot more big ships out there than medium ships, probably because writers think they're cooler to write. ISD-MonCal would have been a solid, recognizable starter set and you could include Victory's and Nebulon-B's as small ships to round out a force.

Doubtful that the Disney thing will affect them at all. FFG has put out books that bear the Disney logo on the back, but still have old Legends EU stuff in them.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

jivjov posted:

Doubtful that the Disney thing will affect them at all. FFG has put out books that bear the Disney logo on the back, but still have old Legends EU stuff in them.

Pretty much. The only time I've ever been told "no" on putting something in a book is when my editors want it for a different book.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

blackmongoose posted:

They're playing fast and loose with scale (the frigate would be twice the size of the corvette, otherwise, and the fighters mere specks), so the ISD model might very well not be perfectly to scale with the Victory. The rebel transports showed up at Endor in some kind of fleet capacity, so they're probably eligible, too. And there's this thing, which was on screen in ROTJ, too, but hasn't been in any game property since.

Given FFG's dedication to EU material, I'm betting that yes, we'll see Dreadnoughts and Carracks and Interdictors and whatnot before any prequel or sequel content.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm honestly just surprised the newer supplements don't have a Legends banner on the cover. Maybe Disney is making all those species and planets part of the new canon? Since it's mostly plot points that would get overwritten by new stuff. Or maybe I'm just thinking too hard about it?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

jivjov posted:

I'm honestly just surprised the newer supplements don't have a Legends banner on the cover. Maybe Disney is making all those species and planets part of the new canon? Since it's mostly plot points that would get overwritten by new stuff. Or maybe I'm just thinking too hard about it?

For an older example, see how long they got away with making Star Fleet Battles based on a loophole in Paramount's Star Trek copyright.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Madurai posted:

For an older example, see how long they got away with making Star Fleet Battles based on a loophole in Paramount's Star Trek copyright.

Star Fleet Battles... I always just stare at that game at my FLGS, have trouble accepting that it's a real thing I am seeing with my own eye

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Star Fleet Battles... I always just stare at that game at my FLGS, have trouble accepting that it's a real thing I am seeing with my own eye

That game is loving nuts. Giant hex map with tiny chits and 3" binders for rule books. Every player is a 60+ year old ornery Republican.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

jivjov posted:

There's no real harm in having a bunch of vaguely-defined ships added, it seems like only major plot/setting-changing stuff would really be a problem. Even stuff like the StarViper just has 'Prince Xisor was a crime lord', none of the specifics that might get in the way made it in.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Picked up ImpAss yesterday and aside from one of the probe droids coming broken and the front guns for the AT-ST refusing to seat onto the model, I am utterly salivating to play this game. I've tried to keep holiday family gaming to a ground-floor entry level in recent years, but I may just say gently caress it and try to force people to play this with me on Christmas. :wookie:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Can people who bought Impasse confirm whether the models take kindly to primer or not? That might actually be the big decision maker for me.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Chill la Chill posted:

Can people who bought Impasse confirm whether the models take kindly to primer or not? That might actually be the big decision maker for me.

Its the same material as Descent they take it just fine, got my copy on Monday.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
If it's anything like Descent plastic they'll be horrible.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So Vallejo paint-on/spray primer: good or bad for it?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Imagine resin models that have release agent caked in so badly that it persist after soaking/scrubbing with IPA and industrial-strength soap, that's pretty much what Descent minis are. If you're willing to go very very slowly with more layers so it can bite in properly (yes it needs primer for primer :v:) and are OK with weaker paint coats, they're doable but definitely not my preferred kind of plastic.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 20, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's terrible. I'm probably gonna skip out then. I was looking forward to nicely painting that ATST.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Pierzak posted:

Imagine resin models that have release agent caked in so badly that it persist after soaking/scrubbing with IPA and industrial-strength soap, that's pretty much what Descent minis are. If you're willing to go very very slowly with more layers so it can bite in properly (yes it needs primer for primer :v:) and are OK with weaker paint coats, they're doable but definitely not my preferred kind of plastic.

This is a load of BS. I painted my Descent miniatures with one 30 min soak in water with dish soap, and 1 coat of primer.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Oh my God! It's almost like you guys didn't have the same box set to share! How horrifying. Everyone knows that the contents of one box are identical in the composition of everything to another. There's no such thing as product variance. :rolleyes:

It's probably not as bad as that first guy said. If you're unsure, or have any other fans of the game in the area, I suggest asking to take a look at the minis to see if they're worth it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I did. However, it's not like you can feel how well it'll take primer by just rubbing it. And if the QC is poor enough to have a drastically different result to priming, well..

I'll just have to see if anyone lets me borrow a figure or two to test. I just hope QC isn't as highly variant as I'm imagining.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So far every post I've seen about ImpAss seems to be about the models, the quality of, etc. Not one person is talking about the game itself. Is this worrying?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

So far every post I've seen about ImpAss seems to be about the models, the quality of, etc. Not one person is talking about the game itself. Is this worrying?

People haven't had a chance to really play yet, outside of those who got it early. Opening the box and looking at the minis is the first step.

I've run the tutorial on my own and I love the new mechanics like activating groups after each hero and defense dice causing misses, not attack dice.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I played the first mission in the campaign on Friday, its very similar to Descent 2nd Edition, its fast and pretty enjoyable, one of the major changes is that the turn order is switched up, the heroes activate one character, then the Imperial player activates one deployment card, then they alternate like that until everything is deployed, this makes things a lot more interesting. I think the game should be played with four heroes for sure though, playing with only two gives each heroe a legnedary item to start with (which is way OP and and if they get say a really good gun, they wont be looking forward to upgrading ever) and if there are three each player gets a heroic item.

The missions are fun, and they have a lot of events similar to the way the campaigns are written for Edge of the Empire.

Everyone that played had fun and we cant wait to play again, this time with a full group and a dedicated campaign.

I can see the skirmish system beign enjoyable too, each side gets 40 deployment poitns to build their force then they play a skirmish scenario.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Just a nitpick, you don't get a legendary/heroic item for starting with 2/3 players, you get a specific award card called Legendary/Heroic, which gives you extra HP and activation tokens to make up for not having 4 heroes in the game.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

SilverMike posted:

Just a nitpick, you don't get a legendary/heroic item for starting with 2/3 players, you get a specific award card called Legendary/Heroic, which gives you extra HP and activation tokens to make up for not having 4 heroes in the game.

Oh that makes much more sense! Obviously I misunderstood that.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I'm actually quite interested in the skirmish game. Are there any overwatch or reaction mechanics, and/or cover?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Nope, it's mostly the same basic rules as the normal game.

MisterEff
Sep 24, 2008

Blamestorm posted:

I'm actually quite interested in the skirmish game. Are there any overwatch or reaction mechanics, and/or cover?

There are specific characters with those kinds of abilities. Jyn Odan, for example, has an ability where she can interrupt an enemy's turn to make an attack, similar to overwatch.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm just glad that apparently Imperial Assault is close enough in scale to WotC's Star Wars Minis I can just use those instead/ sub them in for tokens (aside from the AT-ST-drat them for having a different size base between the systems). Finally my obsessive collecting will pay off!

Now if only I actually had a copy of ImpAss and enough friends living close enough to play it.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
We played our first game of ImpAss last night. My group loved it, even though I crushed them in the first scenario.

They couldn't destroy the locked door for the life of them.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
There is cover but not the way you are thinking. They changes the way you do line of sight, You have to trace a line from a single corner of your units / figures square to TWO of the targets corners. The lines CANNOT overlap. This means that you can be in a position where your figure has LOS on a target, and it does NOT have los on your figure.

This is taken from pg 26 of the Rules Reference.

Which can be found here.
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=271&esem=4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Nothing in the rule book says this: Can you move diagonally? Is it 2 movement points?