Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I just bought issue one on Comixology based on that post. It's only two bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Now I just have to find out if I still have Nonplayer #1 somewhere.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Just Offscreen posted:

So far, the story of nonplayer is it's the near future where VR tech has become so integrated into like that people can go about their daily lives superimposing whatever they want over reality. Some people live in a fantasy adventure, some live with hovercars and robots, all the while going about normal life like any other schmuck. Heavy undertones about escapism, obviously, but being only one issue, there isn't much to tell other than the setting.

It is very pretty.

It is crazy how Oculus Rift managed to be funded through kickstarter, developed and sold to Facebook since the first issue of Nonplayer had come out.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

As someone who is anxiously waiting the next issue of Orc Stain I would have bet good money that NonPlayer just wasn't going to continue it at all after he got a well paying job. But good for him, I'll gladly buy another issue of it whenever it eventually does come out.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 15, 2014

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

New issues of Orc Stain or Multiple Warheads are my holy grail.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Mahler posted:

New issues of Orc Stain or Multiple Warheads are my holy grail.

Multiple Warheads is chugging along. Graham's posted a fair number of pages on his Tumblr over the last few months. Think he's approaching it like he did the last one, where he has most/all of it in the can before going to print.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Oh wow, for some reason I thought it was just that he'd underestimated what it took to be a one man show while treating it like a hobby.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Campbell posted:

Oh wow, for some reason I thought it was just that he'd underestimated what it took to be a one man show while treating it like a hobby.

Not sure where you got that idea from, but he's been pretty clear about Multiple Warheads from the moment Image put out the book. He'd probably do about one mini every year or so among other projects.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Holy crap thank you for recommending Nonplayer. I thought I was done with MMO scifi books but I'm totally sold after that first issue. And it's GORGEOUS. I'm gonna have to reread Ready Player One while I wait for issue 2.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Unmature posted:

Holy crap thank you for recommending Nonplayer. I thought I was done with MMO scifi books but I'm totally sold after that first issue. And it's GORGEOUS. I'm gonna have to reread Ready Player One while I wait for issue 2.

I haven't read it yet, but the Cory Doctorow/Jen Wang IRL is supposed to be pretty good too while exploring some similar ideas (albeit in a different way)

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Has anyone read Six-Gun Gorilla? I love Jeff Stokely's art and I'm looking to get into series with his work.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Martello posted:

Has anyone read Six-Gun Gorilla? I love Jeff Stokely's art and I'm looking to get into series with his work.

Six-Gun Gorilla is really excellent -- the neatest futuristic Weird Western setting I've seen in ages. And yeah, the art is great. Totally worth it.

onefish fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 18, 2014

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Six-Gun Gorilla was a pretty entertaining short comic. The character was pulled from an old pulp magazine seemingly randomly, but they actually sort of use that as a plot-point in the comic itself which left me with a huge grin on my face.

Neat little bit of world-building, the story was good but not mind-blowing, and the art and character designs were pretty killer. I'd recommend it for sure, especially as a one-shot TPB.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Yo, read Rumble #1 by the BPRD team of James Harren and John Arcudi , out this week. Not much plot at this moment, but the art is gorgeous and Harren is easily in th top 10 of modern action artists, so it is going to be an awesome, high-octane book.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Southern Bastards continues to be pretty amazing. The art is just bananas, and while the storyline is a bit less interesting in flashback, I can't wait until we return to the present and dude's daughter re-enters the picture.

I'm really interested in where Birthright is headed as well, although I feel like it's gonna fizzle hard after a few issues.

I loving love Supreme: Blue Rose.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Finished the first volume of Letter 44. I'm surprised there isn't more buzz surrounding this series, it's great! Like a neat mashup of the West Wing and 2001/Alien

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Any thoughts about The Midas Flesh? As soon as I heard about it, I asked my boyfriend for the first volume for Christmas. It's Ryan North, dinosaurs and space opera! Looks incredible.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Finished the first volume of Letter 44. I'm surprised there isn't more buzz surrounding this series, it's great! Like a neat mashup of the West Wing and 2001/Alien

I kinda like it (read to about issue 8) but it needs to get where it's going and while it partly got there (avoiding spoilers) once it did I stopped caring about the West Wing stuff because it's irrelevant.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Finally read Alan Moore's Crossed: Plus 100 #1 yesterday, and it was really good. Can't wait to see where the story goes. I've never read Crossed before-- my local shop actually gave me a lot of grief when I said I wanted to add this to my pull list, tried to make me feel like a creep or something. There was nudity in the book, and violence, obviously, but it wasn't exploitative trash or anything.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

chime_on posted:

Finally read Alan Moore's Crossed: Plus 100 #1 yesterday, and it was really good. Can't wait to see where the story goes. I've never read Crossed before-- my local shop actually gave me a lot of grief when I said I wanted to add this to my pull list, tried to make me feel like a creep or something. There was nudity in the book, and violence, obviously, but it wasn't exploitative trash or anything.

gently caress that store. How are you going to give someone poo poo for ordering a book with Alan Moore's loving name on it.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

There is a little thing called Lost Girls that I would totally give anyone grief for purchasing.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dr. Hurt posted:

There is a little thing called Lost Girls that I would totally give anyone grief for purchasing.

Then don't work in a store.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Hedrigall posted:

Any thoughts about The Midas Flesh? As soon as I heard about it, I asked my boyfriend for the first volume for Christmas. It's Ryan North, dinosaurs and space opera! Looks incredible.

If you're a fan of Ryan North then you should like it. It's very consistent with his usual tone, which I guess isn't surprising as its premise is based on a Dinosaur Comic joke. The characters are all likable and it's a very enjoyable read.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Senor Candle posted:

gently caress that store. How are you going to give someone poo poo for ordering a book with Alan Moore's loving name on it.

I ended up buying it from another shop that I use as my backup for situations like this. I have a love/hate relationship with my main local-- they do a lot of things very well, and in general they have very personalized customer service, but there are people who work there (including the owner and the manager) who can get a little too into their roles as arbiters of taste. Sometimes they do it to cover their asses because they underordered something ("oh, that book is garbage, we aren't getting any shelf copies,"), sometimes it's like the Crossed thing where the guy told me "you don't wanna buy that."

edit:

Dr. Hurt posted:

See, that's hosed up to me. If I want to read Lost Girls (and indeed, I kind of do), I don't need someone projecting THEIR hangups about art or sexuality or whatever onto me.

chime_on fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 21, 2014

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
"You don't want to order that"is over the top, but shops should feel free to tell people getting into Crossed "Do you know what you're getting into?"

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

StumblyWumbly posted:

"You don't want to order that"is over the top, but shops should feel free to tell people getting into Crossed "Do you know what you're getting into?"

And sadly many comic shop employees lack anything resembling tact.

chime_on posted:

See, that's hosed up to me. If I want to read Lost Girls (and indeed, I kind of do), I don't need someone projecting THEIR hangups about art or sexuality or whatever onto me.

Also, as someone who owns Lost Girls and is mildly embarrassed by explaining to people what it is when they ask about the purple slipcase next to my absolutes, the story is basically poo poo, but Melinda Gebbie's art is really beautiful. But I also haven't cared for Moore's writing in a long time, so, you know, you might love it! Who knows!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

chime_on posted:

Lost Girls is bad, but I'm glad that I was able to decide that for myself without anyone laughing in my face for merely thinking of looking at it. This forum actually inspired me to check it out from talking about it so much. I finally read a tiny little plot synopsis and it sounded like a neat concept to use those classic characters. I only made it a few issues in before thinking it was terrible. I thought it would at least have gorgeous art going for it but that actually didn't impress me much either, just not my style at all.

But it's mostly just a poor comic with an over-reliance on "sexy" moments, I can't even muster up enough energy to feel offended or indignant about it.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

chime_on posted:

Grief is taking it a little far but folks should probably know what they are getting into going into it. I was more responding to Candle's "How can you judge someone for getting something written by Alan Moore" which I feel totally overlooks some of his lesser works.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Senor Candle posted:

Some people don't blindly support whatever snake deity Moore worshiped that took over his body years ago and has consistently published crap while wearing him like a very hairy suit.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

Some people don't blindly support whatever snake deity Moore worshiped that took over his body years ago and has consistently published crap while wearing him like a very hairy suit.

I shouldn't have even said anything about Moore because it's besides the point.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Somebody please defend Lost Girls because I think it's a pretty loving odious book with all the child sex and all-ages incest.

edit: yes I have looked at it, in fact I bought it without researching because I figured, Alan Moore can do no wrong, right? Wrong. Let my wife look through it to satisfy her morbid curiosity and then resold it on Amazon.

Martello fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 21, 2014

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Martello posted:

Somebody please defend Lost Girls because I think it's a pretty loving odious book with all the child sex and all-ages incest.

edit: yes I have looked at it, in fact I bought it without researching because I figured, Alan Moore can do no wrong, right? Wrong. Let my wife look through it to satisfy her morbid curiosity and then resold it on Amazon.

I mean, I kind of defended it? The art at least. And the conceit is an interesting one, that these three women's stories are all a way to look at their sexual coming of age. The framing technique of it being a group of old ladies reminiscing felt in tune with a lot of classic "story within a story" narratives, too. But it just wasn't very good.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Just got caught up with Low last night. Man, what a weird and beautiful book! Has the GRRM/McCarthy quality of ensuring that terrible things just continually happen to any character you care about.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I just read the first Bulletproof Coffin trade and enjoyed it, but wanted to understand the theme a bit more. Can someone provide a spoilery explanation of what it's about, including the meta commentary?

Being into comics and comics history, I think I get what they were going for as far as the limits of fetishizing the past, but wasn't sure I got everything.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

I just read the first Bulletproof Coffin trade and enjoyed it, but wanted to understand the theme a bit more. Can someone provide a spoilery explanation of what it's about, including the meta commentary?

Being into comics and comics history, I think I get what they were going for as far as the limits of fetishizing the past, but wasn't sure I got everything.

It imagines the world where the Comics Code never got any power, so the genre works became very openly violent and creepy, not unlike the actual pre-Code comics. So when a dude gets through the nostalgia trip reminiscent of the one in Flex Mentallo, it gets a lot more horrific.

Also it is mainly a vehicle for Shaky Kane do draw awesome and weird poo poo and for Hine to write some glorious pre-Code style captions.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Hurt posted:

When my girlfriend tried to buy that from an out of town store (knowing full well what it was) she got talked down to, in the creepiest way I've ever seen, by some old shop owner. It was the weirdest smirking loser tone and it really put me off to buying comics outside of Ann Arbor.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

When my girlfriend tried to buy that from an out of town store (knowing full well what it was) she got talked down to, in the creepiest way I've ever seen, by some old shop owner. It was the weirdest smirking loser tone and it really put me off to buying comics outside of Ann Arbor.

I am so happy to have Vault as my local comic shop. Staff is awesome, everyone's got good taste, and the pricing/sub system is just fantastic.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah!! And I didn't mean for that post to be so accusatory but I really have come to really really dislike that gatekeeping "let me fill you in here" mentality. Like being a shop owner entitles you to nerd-intimidate people about poo poo they want to buy.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Yeah!! And I didn't mean for that post to be so accusatory but I really have come to really really dislike that gatekeeping "let me fill you in here" mentality. Like being a shop owner entitles you to nerd-intimidate people about poo poo they want to buy.

As someone who worked in a shop for 3 years, there's a nuance to warning people about comics, and the nuance to Lost Girls is literally just telling them the premise and letting them figure it out for themselves. The nuance to Sex Criminals is saying "no, no, ignore the name, it's sweet and funny and they stop time when they orgasm and start robbing banks."

I think there's a fear that if a reader buys something they don't like, that they'll never return, and while that's possible, I would frequently find myself steering someone away from Dark Knight Strikes Again or ASBAR to Batman: Year One after they'd read Dark Knight Returns instead of just going "ugh, you don't want to read Frank Miller's lovely era until you've got nothing else left of his and even then..." Because then they leave with a good comic and an impression that maybe you give a poo poo about what they're spending their money on and have their interests at heart.

I really loving hate that so many comic shops are staffed by tactless idiots who drive folks away and then wonder why their shop suffers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'd say if you were at your wits end for Alan Moore stuff beyond the usual recommendations then Halo Jones and A Small Killing are both better and more aesthetically pleasing. A Small Killing in particular is one of my favorite illustrated Moore stories.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 23, 2014