Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

FutonForensic posted:

Yeah but you can't make your civ out of dicks can you?

But you do have Gandhi, king of the dicks, so that's usually good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I just noticed the URL for voting is
code:
http://store.steampowered.com/#summersale_communitychoice
If it ain't broke, don't fix it I guess.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Asmodai_00 posted:

Are you talking about the Long War mod? It's that good?

Personally I don't like Long War that much. I enjoy the new customization options and the map variations and the ability to retake lost countries, but the new classes and weapons feel too bloated to me, like they just there so you can perfectly min/max everything. That's really cool for people who like that, but I thought the base game and expansion were just complex enough for my liking.

Rookersh posted:

It was already on sale for a whole bunch cheaper the day before the sale, and then again when Endless Legend went on sale.

It may come back for the end of day repeat sale though? Either way, I'll probably start streaming runs over the next few days just to get people to check it out and get some ( terrible bad ) Easy strategies. I can reliably hit floor 8-10 on Too Easy now, so I'm basically banging my head against the Easy wall, trying to get a run mobilized and moving forward. So far my biggest bane seems to be those ignore steles, as I build my runs around heavy firepower/chokepoints with runners drawing everything back into a killzone. Becomes a bit of a problem when the enemy mobs ignore the killzone and just wander through it though. :v:

I'd be down for setting up some goon runs on my days off if anyone is interested. I'll ease people in with Too Easy and move up from there when people get a few more heroes under their belts. Only problem is multiplayer doesn't have saves yet, so as the host I'll need to stick around for the whole thing ( other people can drop out when their hero dies/they need to go to work and the rest of us can take over for them. But on those first 3-4 floors they can grab a few new heroes for their game and unlock them. ). So yeah, days off runs only. If we do end up getting 4 interested people at a time, it'll keep people from getting new heroes, but it'll still be useful to show people good strategies they can take forward into their single player games, even with the basic hero setup.

I'll probably write up a strategy post if enough people end up getting the game/are interested in such a thing.

e: e: and i'm off to work! that was a lot of fun, although it made me realize too easy is a bit too easy for me now. i have 3 high wit heroes, a bunch of wit boosting items, and almost everything unlocked at this point. outside of a really bad level layout, i'm not sure anything going forward can hurt me. either way, i'll be jumping back in at the end of the day to finish it off.

I think I might grab it now anyway. I'd rather have it to play on my time off than wait until it (maybe) goes on sale again just to save $2. Is the crystal version worth it for the extra character and dungeon mode?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Asmodai_00 posted:

Are you talking about the Long War mod? It's that good?

The Long War mod is pretty good but since its a mod and not a commercial product its made for a very particular niche of people. It makes it very, very hard, though it also adds ways to recover from that difficulty (for example, if a country leaves XCOM there are missions to get them back), and greatly expands the scope of both of the ground combat game and main base game. As a very casual enjoy-er of strategy games it is way, way beyond the level that makes them enjoyable to me. I did find the original Enemy Unknown a bit lacking but Enemy Within added more than enough stuff to satisfy me.

But hey, its free to try so do what I did and see what happens.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 21, 2014

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Mr E posted:

Is Grim Dawn worth it at 12.50?
It's still in Early Access.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CSM posted:

It's still in Early Access.

I don't think you realize that I don't care if it's already a good game. Which it is, from what I just played. It's also 12 bucks, I think I can deal with it if the developers run off into the night with my money.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Mr E posted:

I don't think you realize that I don't care if it's already a good game. Which it is, from what I just played. It's also 12 bucks, I think I can deal with it if the developers run off into the night with my money.

Man don't make me feel like a cheapskate for still holding out on some indie games that are only 33% off now :smith:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Morter posted:

Man don't make me feel like a cheapskate for still holding out on some indie games that are only 33% off now :smith:

its ok dont fall for his peer pressure. 75% or bust

that extra 50 cents you save can be like 3 other lovely games

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Prison Architect devs are a cool bunch who regularly update the game and are well on their way to creating a finished project. This isn't like most other early access games which are probably going to end up running off with people's money.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Morter posted:

Humble bundle or bust

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

And make sure you check your unclaimed Humble keys before buying anything! I almost bought* NEO Scavenger before I found out I already bought it.

*- Yes, I was going to make sure it was a daily first.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Ddraig posted:

The Prison Architect devs are a cool bunch who regularly update the game and are well on their way to creating a finished project. This isn't like most other early access games which are probably going to end up running off with people's money.

Speaking of which, Spintires is a daily and either the dev has done that or his publisher has boned him, reports are mixed, but either way it seems the current state is all you're getting.

Also wanted to add that Grim Dawn is pretty good - I don't even like ARPGs that much and I enjoyed it. I need to find time to replay it now Chapter 3 is out.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Ddraig posted:

It's still a dumb idea to buy if you're not looking to beta test a game.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
As the kind of guy who finished C/I without too much trouble but thought some stuff on impossible mode was kind of bullshit, where should I start on long war?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Normal. Also, the Xcom thread here is pretty much all Long war talk if you need any tips.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Why didn't anyone tell me that the Batman: Arkham <whatever> games were THIS good? :argh:

I kid, everyone told me that. I'm finally playing through Asylum and I love it. A friend of mine prefers Asylum over City, whereas if I remember from when it came out, City was touted as pretty much the definitive Batman game. Thoughts?

I'm thinking of maybe picking up City if it goes on some ridiculous sale, I don't mind waiting until I beat the first one.

Is Origin(s?) any good?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
City is worth the money, but it comes with its own set of problems, including having a stupid amount of collectibles that are also tied to a side-quest (400 and 440 for completionists). Catwoman's sections are underwhelming since she has a severely limited skill set, but she does have cool animations. The story is fine; Joker is excellent. The sound quality isn't polished in some areas for the voice acting. There are also the terrible augmented reality missions which are done in the style of Superman 64.

Asylum is more focused and provided me with a better overall experience. City is still good, but it drove me crazy a lot.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is Origin(s?) any good?
It's a very much a sequel that is just treading water and more of the same. It was apparently buggy as gently caress on launch but I didn't find many of them in the bit I played of it so far.

How I understood it from people that actually beat all 3:
Asylum: the most focused and polished.
City: The most diverse and probably ambitious one.
Origins: If you want more.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Why didn't anyone tell me that the Batman: Arkham <whatever> games were THIS good? :argh:

I kid, everyone told me that. I'm finally playing through Asylum and I love it. A friend of mine prefers Asylum over City, whereas if I remember from when it came out, City was touted as pretty much the definitive Batman game. Thoughts?

I'm thinking of maybe picking up City if it goes on some ridiculous sale, I don't mind waiting until I beat the first one.

Is Origin(s?) any good?

I didn't like Arkham City as much as Asylum

Asylum was very tightly constructed. The Asylum itself is pretty iconic and it's very well put together in terms of progression and design.

Arkham City felt sloppy in comparison. They decided to go to for quantity rather than quality, so you get a loving ton of riddler puzzles but they're all very lazy and rushed, and navigating around the city is just a chore in comparison.

The only really memorable thing is the fight against Freeze which is possibly one of the best boss fights in recent memory.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Is Origin(s?) any good?

Asylum has a much tighter focus and feels almost like a Metroid game while City is a sprawling open-world game stuffed with collectibles and side-activities, so there's plenty of people who prefer the former to the latter and vice versa. I would only recommend Origins only if you didn't get enough out of City, and even then I found it to be less fun.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Is Origin(s?) any good?
I preferred Asylum to City as well, I felt it was a more tightly designed game and it didn't go as badly overboard with its storytelling as City did, which is saying something because Asylum still has some trite, dime-store comic book poo poo going on. City has the cool novelty of open-world to it, but I think the gameplay was vastly overinflated and a lot of the added content felt directionless and tacked-on. You're given excessive amounts of upgrades and stuff in order to chain combos, but the henchmen are so easy to beat anyway there's not really much point to using any of it. I just didn't really give a poo poo about what I was doing in City after a certain point.

I've heard mixed things about Origins, but it sounds to me like basically a refinement on City's concepts?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Is Origin(s?) any good?

The game got a bad rap when it first came out for being buggy and just being more of the same (it's a prequel, but it's largely based on City), but I found it to be a pretty solid title (also the bugs have been mostly ironed out). It's not flawless by any stretch, but I liked it better than City for the most part.

City and Origins basically go off in their own directions, resulting in different strengths and weaknesses. City fine tunes the melee combat to near-perfection, but stumbles on the writing, the collectibles, and arguably the stealth sections to an extent. Origins messes up the melee combat to a degree and some of the other related systems like upgrades, but I think it beat City on writing, the collectibles are numerous without being overwhelming, and the stealth maps felt more interesting and involved.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 21, 2014

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Are any of the Survival games any good? I have Don't Starve and This is My War (which I found too hard)

knob
May 25, 2005

knob

A friend of mine prefers Asylum over City

That's how I felt. Asylum was loads of fun and City felt like it could have been just as fun, but big open worlds were (and still are, to an extent) the next big thing. Unfortunately, nothing in the open world was all that fun for me it just felt like an annoying delay before getting on with the next mission. Never played Origins, hadn't heard great things.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Much like Assassin's Creed Revelations, Origins suffers from being the third game in a trilogy released fairly quickly with fairly similar gameplay. If you really want to play all three I'd say give yourself some time between City and Origins.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Zedd posted:

This is the most objective description so far and I can't but agree. I'm not even particularly into Batman but they are one my favorite games, definitely.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

You can play as loving Deathstroke in the Origins challenge missions.

/argument over

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Yaws posted:

Are any of the Survival games any good? I have Don't Starve and This is My War (which I found too hard)

7 Days to Die is really good. It was just on sale yesterday but has that bonus 24 hours so you got 19 hours to still jump on it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Origins is City but (when I played it) really buggy and with a little worse combat. I liked Asylum the most because it just felt like a tighter and smoother experience. I didn't really like City's open world much but Origins was just not very good, at least at launch.

So yeah basically this:

quote:

Also man this sale's been a bummer for me so far. Nothing is really all that deep a cut on my wishlist. I guess they're all relatively new games though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Is Origin(s?) any good?

Shadow of Mordor is Arkham w/decapitations and warg-riding and you should play it too.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How finished is Grim Dawn and what kind of pace have they been on as far as updating?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Eonwe posted:

How finished is Grim Dawn and what kind of pace have they been on as far as updating?

They've implemented the five classes they aimed to (You choose two) and there's plenty of content to dick around in. In gameplay terms it doesn't feel like a beta, it feels like a game whose remaining levels and monsters are being implemented, which is exactly what it is now. Actual full-blown huge new area content updates are fairly slow to arrive, but what's there is already well worth the asking price, and they've been at this for a long rear end time so I doubt they're going to run off to Vegas with your money.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

sebmojo posted:

Shadow of Mordor is Arkham w/decapitations and warg-riding and you should play it too.

Don't think my pc could handle it at this point.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Don't think my pc could handle it at this point.

What are you running? I have an i5 3750 with a GTX 660. I can max out the game and I haven't seen it stutter once. It seems to be really well optimized.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kibayasu posted:

The Long War mod is pretty good but since its a mod and not a commercial product its made for a very particular niche of people. It makes it very, very hard, though it also adds ways to recover from that difficulty (for example, if a country leaves XCOM there are missions to get them back), and greatly expands the scope of both of the ground combat game and main base game. As a very casual enjoy-er of strategy games it is way, way beyond the level that makes them enjoyable to me. I did find the original Enemy Unknown a bit lacking but Enemy Within added more than enough stuff to satisfy me.

But hey, its free to try so do what I did and see what happens.

My biggest issue with the Long War, is right in the title. I think a standard run through XCOM is just about the right length, and even with the "not so long war" flag enabled, LW still requires a staggering number of missions to finish. The side effect of this, is that instead of playing a couple missions between upgrades, you may play half a dozen or more depending on where you are in the game, and so it becomes a lot (more) of doing the same thing over and over again. I like the other stuff they added, especially the new gear, even though a fair bit of it is poorly balanced. The classes are kind of meh; it feels like they had enough inspiration for about six, but needed eight to fit the structure they wanted.

I would never recommend playing LW before the base game, but it's worth checking out for a change.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Yaws posted:

Check out NEO Scavenger. It's a hex turn based thing but it does have a demo so if it's too hard or not your thing, no skin off your nose. Also you can do this in it:

I bashed a deer in the head with a crowbar then proceeded to threaten it by yelling at it. After that I dive-tackled it to the ground and kicked it until it died.
Then I carved it's body up into meat, cooked and cured the larger pieces and made some gloves out of it's hide.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/248860/

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Croccers posted:

Check out NEO Scavenger. It's a hex turn based thing but it does have a demo so if it's too hard or not your thing, no skin off your nose. Also you can do this in it:

I bashed a deer in the head with a crowbar then proceeded to threaten it by yelling at it. After that I dive-tackled it to the ground and kicked it until it died.
Then I carved it's body up into meat, cooked and cured the larger pieces and made some gloves out of it's hide.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/248860/

Get this. It is absolutely fantastic and very very detailed. Lots of fun.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Does the Spies versus Mercs game mode in Blacklist live up to Pandora Tomorrow/Chaos theory? gently caress I want to play that poo poo again

Orv
May 4, 2011

WYA posted:

Does the Spies versus Mercs game mode in Blacklist live up to Pandora Tomorrow/Chaos theory? gently caress I want to play that poo poo again

No, but it's still pretty good. No clue if it's still being played on PC though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Maybe if the older games go on sale I will buy a bunch of copies and try to get some gaming happening w

• Locked thread