Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Blue Flame +5 is 130/180, Raw Blue Flame +5 is 146/207, Magic Blue Flame +5 is 72/187 (plus scaling, obv). Going magic tanks the physical damage way harder than other weapons for some reason, and you can't make it up with RoBFlynn as easily. Wearing both rings, at 40 Int you'll have ~40 more magic damage on the Magic version compared to Raw, but ~130 less physical damage. 90 AR difference is a lot.

I thought you meant much higher base damage compared to regular, not magic infused. I'd say take the middle option and use a magic one in your right for spell damage, and a raw one in left. Dual Blue Flames is a lot more fun than a single one anyway.

Fargin Icehole posted:

That is why whips are bad in this game, particularly the old whip, which I want to do a playthrough of. If you play on the PC though, it will break if it hits anything more than one person.

I've done (part of a) whips only run and didn't have issue. Old Whips wears down quickly but that happens on console too. Using a Bloodied or Notched Whip for normal enemies and Old Whip for bosses I never ran out of durability (did come close in a few areas tho).

straight jerkers posted:

What's good among hexes? Most of them just look like darker versions of easy to dodge sorceries.

Scraps of Life, Dark Dance, Recollection, Affinity. Probably some others but those are pretty much the four best (for PVP). For PVE I use Scraps of Life and (Great) Resonant Soul.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I bougth the game in the sale and I'm liking it so far, one problem I'm having though is that the jump attack/guard break doesn't work a lot of the time, I can do them in Dark Souls 1 but not in this, internet seems to think there's a problem with it but nobody is giving a concrete answer or workaround, is it a known issue? If so is there a fix?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
welp, powerstance rapiers + RoB + Old Leo Ring is certainly some poo poo in the early game. Oneshots most things that are in the process of taking a swing at you along the way to Lost Sinner (doesn't work so great on Lost Sinner herself for some reason) and Mytha (I'm currently in Earthen Peak), and clowns most of the bosses along the way too.

I should see if I can get to Dragon Sanctum nice and early and pick up Flynn's Ring in order to really activate beast mode on this build.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I bougth the game in the sale and I'm liking it so far, one problem I'm having though is that the jump attack/guard break doesn't work a lot of the time, I can do them in Dark Souls 1 but not in this, internet seems to think there's a problem with it but nobody is giving a concrete answer or workaround, is it a known issue? If so is there a fix?

Some controllers do have an issue. A legit 360/Ps3/ps4 controller should be fine tho. Even if it is the input timing is a lot tighter than it is in Dark Souls.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

A massive batch of poise testing has been recently done on reddit. The system is more convoluted compared to DS1's poise.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2n8aqd/everything_you_ever_wanted_to_know_about_poise/

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

White Phosphorus posted:

A massive batch of poise testing has been recently done on reddit. The system is more convoluted compared to DS1's poise.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2n8aqd/everything_you_ever_wanted_to_know_about_poise/

Not really. It works pretty much the same aside from only partial poising through hits if you're not attacking when you get hit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Some controllers do have an issue. A legit 360/Ps3/ps4 controller should be fine tho. Even if it is the input timing is a lot tighter than it is in Dark Souls.

Drat, my offical one is on the other side of the planet at the moment.

Guess I'll just have to get through the game without using them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The basic dark buff spell for weapons is pretty nice since it's not really weaker than the other one but has more casts.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

OwlFancier posted:

If you're playing with m+kb, the best solution i've found is an autohotkey script that emulates the required button sequence (that's somehow impossible to do manually) and lets you bind it to a dedicated button. It also lets you remove the vanilla "wait for doubleclick" delay on attacks.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Isn't the strongest weapon in the game a staff anyway?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

If you're playing with m+kb, the best solution i've found is an autohotkey script that emulates the required button sequence (that's somehow impossible to do manually) and lets you bind it to a dedicated button. It also lets you remove the vanilla "wait for doubleclick" delay on attacks.

Nah, third party controller, works fine for most things but doesn't make a lot of sense with DS2.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The timing on the guard break is different than DS1's kick for sure. I don't know how it's different or what the timing is or has been changed to, but I know it's not as easy to consistently do. The one, SINGLE redeeming feature of the guard break is that it homes in on enemies if you're locked on, so if someone tries to roll out of the way it will still hit them unless you break your lock-on or they get out of range of it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Gologle posted:

Isn't the strongest weapon in the game a staff anyway?

It has the highest total attack rating in the game, but the moveset means that the damage doesn't reflect that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Highest DPS and highest AR are two completely different things. The strongest AR weapon probably isn't sniffing close to an Estoc with Blade Ring+Flynn's Ring.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Finally beat Zallen and Lud, albeit with the help of a (human) summon buddy. :toot: A buffed Magic Ice Rapier was OP enough to make the trek to the boss actually not that hard, although still a little tedious.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just :darksouls: things: murdering the same few players over and over with +10 dark rapier on belfry sol, and coming back an hour later to find they've all added rapiers to their loadout. :3:

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
And so my the tragic tale of woe that is Leyburn vs Fume Knight finally comes to an end.

I went and bought myself Velstadt's Helm and beat him on my 3rd attempt. It was fairly easy in the end. I don't know why I was having so much trouble with his second phase, I think it was just the transition between the first and second parts that was tripping me up.

Edit: So what is this Sir Alonne area meant to be done co-op or are you just meant to tediously slog through about 20 Alonne knights everytime you attempt to boss?

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 21, 2014

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Leyburn posted:

Edit: So what is this Sir Alonne area meant to be done co-op or are you just meant to tediously slog through about 20 Alonne knights everytime you attempt to boss?

It is a co-op area. But you can just run through it. Once you reach the boss fog gate the enemies will leash back and you can heal and buff up if necessary.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Leyburn posted:

The Sunken King and Old Iron King "co-op" areas are actually better handled by sprinting through alone.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Sunken King coop area is by far the easiest and you're better suited to bring people along for the boss. If you don't honor duel Alonne with your own hanzo steel you've made some seriously questionable life choices.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Manatee Cannon posted:

The Sunken King coop area is by far the easiest and you're better suited to bring people along for the boss. If you don't honor duel Alonne with your own hanzo steel you've made some seriously questionable life choices.

I specifically killed him with the zwei in a display of western superiority.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I don't like how most of the enemies seem to have an attack combo that, if you miss the first block/parry, they will hit you 2 or 3 more times and you are in a staggered animation meaning you can't roll/attack out of it. Is there a stat to fix this or is it a case of don't get hit?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Poise is the stat you want. It mostly comes from heavy armor, but you also get a tiny bit based on the lesser of END or ADP. Poise makes you less likely to get staggered by hits. It won't completely prevent you from getting staggered, as a really big hit or a lot of small hits will stagger even the highest poise, but it helps a lot. Although, yes, the better to solution is to just not get hit.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm kinda sad that I went through the DLCs on a new character - on one hand it was an awesome challenge, on the other hand I had zero luck getting either summons or summoned :( Fume Knight is probably my favorite boss so far, like I said in that other tread I love how he starts out light to kinda let you learn the roll timing, and when he's cool with your moves he'll start punish you for real and one-shotting you. Although Sir Alonne was hilarious - I hate the Alonne knights' weird attack windups and I can never dodge them reliably, and making a boss with the same awkward roll timing is just cruel.

The DLC so far has been absolutely awesome. Halfway (?) through the icy one, done with the rest. Strength build with right-handed greatsword and offhand estoc. Man, I'm having so much fun :iia:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Manatee Cannon posted:

The Sunken King coop area is by far the easiest and you're better suited to bring people along for the boss.
Only if you can find real people who know to keep running rather than get tangled up fighting.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's still easy even in that event and it's still better to have people for the boss because it's dumb.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
So I spent the good part of an hour + about 13,000 souls trying to get to the Shaded Woods early so I can buy a Claymore, and failed horribly.

Note to self: save crazy sequence breaking shenanigans for when its not your first time playing a Souls game. :shepicide:

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

So I spent the good part of an hour + about 13,000 souls trying to get to the Shaded Woods early so I can buy a Claymore, and failed horribly.

Note to self: save crazy sequence breaking shenanigans for when its not your first time playing a Souls game. :shepicide:

What part of the route did you get stuck on?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also why are you so dead-set on getting a claymore? I mean, it's a decent weapon, but there are a load of better options that don't require as much trouble that early on. You can get a bastard sword much earlier which is nearly identical.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Drangleic sword is pretty good and simple to get as well, but regardless you aren't sequence breaking by going to the Shaded Woods as soon as possible. It's not any more difficult than the Lost Bastille.

Actually, now that I think about it it's probably easier.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

double nine posted:

I don't like how most of the enemies seem to have an attack combo that, if you miss the first block/parry, they will hit you 2 or 3 more times and you are in a staggered animation meaning you can't roll/attack out of it. Is there a stat to fix this or is it a case of don't get hit?

Don't get hit. Dark Souls relies on enemies being dangerous to be an interesting game. There are places in the game where an error leads to death, sometimes that death comes by way of getting stunlocked to death. These early guys that hit you several times are doing you a favor because they do it and don't kill you. Take it as a warning.

Poise can help but only against some foes and only so much.

Neo_Crimson posted:

It gets easier to do that sequence break but learn the game first. That fire longsword you find early on will easily carry you to the claymore without sequence breaks if you upgrade it. Or buy a mace or an estoc and upgrade them. They're all top tier weapons for PVE IMO.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 21, 2014

baroqueasfuk
Jul 9, 2007
baroque as fuk
fyi, the command for guard breaks and jump attacks is forward, not up. this is important because up is the direction your camera is facing and forward is the direction your character faces. I imagine this is one of the reasons a lot of people find it unreliable because they try to press straight up on the stick at a slightly diagonal enemy, although I wouldn't be surprised if the input was just buggy too.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neo_Crimson posted:

Get a great club. You can survive the fall as an explorer then you can just suicide until you can pick it up at the bottom of the gutter.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

Why are you trying to sequence break on your first playthrough, there's absolutely no reason to minmax if you aren't doing PvP or trying to beat the game without dying.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That's not even sequence breaking since the game is designed to be more open.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
You know invading people became a lot more fun once I realized that I need no weapons but the Silver Talisman.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I've been playing for a while and with a variety of different builds but I'm coming to the conclusion that wielding some combination of Rapiers and Estocs (and perhaps a bow as a secondary weapon) is goddamn broken. What are the downsides to this loadout? PvE is a joke and PvP is going much better than any other loadout I've tried so far.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

I've been playing for a while and with a variety of different builds but I'm coming to the conclusion that wielding some combination of Rapiers and Estocs (and perhaps a bow as a secondary weapon) is goddamn broken. What are the downsides to this loadout? PvE is a joke and PvP is going much better than any other loadout I've tried so far.

PVE, not much, beyond the fact that they wear down quickly enough that you may need to carry Repair Powders if you go long enough without resting at a bonfire.

For PVP, the lack of move varieties. Rapiers are all pokes, which makes them easy to predict. And since they're all pokes, you can literally just strafe to the left or right and avoid them if you got the timing/positioning down. Estoc has it a little better thanks to its one sweep, but not by much.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

baroqueasfuk posted:

fyi, the command for guard breaks and jump attacks is forward, not up. this is important because up is the direction your camera is facing and forward is the direction your character faces. I imagine this is one of the reasons a lot of people find it unreliable because they try to press straight up on the stick at a slightly diagonal enemy, although I wouldn't be surprised if the input was just buggy too.
Huh, i never considered that. I should give this a try!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Started a new game because my original 20-hour save was lost when my old computer died. In the eight months that have passed since the last time I played a Souls game, I may or may not have forgotten that skeletons can parry and riposte you. :downs:

Why yes, I almost got killed by that one skeleton in the Majula mansion's basement. That would have been the most embarrassing bloodstain.