Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's the bloated corpses of billions of little tiny bacteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

why the hell would you put all your gear in a tub of water you people are weird

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Finally got to play again last night after a really unfortunate 6-week hiatus. Sometimes it feels like I know where I should be, or what areas to cover, and other times people are just whipping by and I have no clue what's going on.

I'm going to be contacting the rink to set up some private lessons so I can work on my skating (particularly transitions forward/backward and weak-side stops), but more than anything I look forward to the return of stick time, where I don't feel like a complete plug on the ice and can work on whatever skills I want to.

At least this time I managed to take two shots on goal which is a 2-shot improvement over my other scrimmages!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Man, sometimes an awesome pass is better than the resulting goal. Retrieve the puck from behind the net, escape move to my right, and dish some incredibly lucky backhand sauce through another player's legs to my waiting teammate just outside the crease. He hammers it home.

But hey, a point is a point!*

Also, for anyone looking for a new stick, the Bauer Nexus line is super fun. Pretty sure I'm done with Easton for a good while.

It was drop-in

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nitramster posted:

I do love that you have a cup full of those little pill/sponge toys though.

Bro. Bro. Those are MUSCLE men, straight from the 80s. I have epic battles with them when I take baths.

I can't believe you made me google them. I've been reading that page for like 15 mins now, re-living my childhood.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This is literally the worst.
That moment when you get back to the bench and whip ice off your blade, only to discover an imperfection (tear/gash) on your stick you literally taped 20 minutes ago. Might as well pack my poo poo up and go home.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Quit tripping dudes and that won't happen.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Gio posted:

why the hell would you put all your gear in a tub of water you people are weird

no, seriously this is just weird to me.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Gio posted:

no, seriously this is just weird to me.

Are you lumping yourself in with the (objectively wrong) "stinky gear is a hilarious and desirable tradition in hockey" caucus or are you just questioning why they'd clean them in that manner?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i don't wash my equipment. i air it out--that's it. i assume most people do, too.

i also find soaking your equipment in a bathtub to be weird, yes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Airing it out doesn't mean they don't smell. I hang mine in my garage after every game, yet my gloves (and everything else) smelled like the inside of a tauntaun after 3 years of not washing it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Airing it out doesn't mean they don't smell. I hang mine in my garage after every game, yet my gloves (and everything else) smelled like the inside of a tauntaun after 3 years of not washing it.

3 years? I hang all my stuff up on a pegboard in the garage immediately after every skate and not 8 months later, my gloves still managed to acquire an odor not unlike death itself. Everything else is actually pretty inoffensive, though (except the skates, but they're nowhere near as bad as the gloves). In fact, I am actually looking for some clearance gloves right now to replace mine solely because they make my hands smell like I've been fondling corpses.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i'm gonna have to ask people i skate with if they care about the smell as much as you guys. not airing your stuff out creates a really bad stench but otherwise it's just...relatively inoffensive.

e: relative to playing hockey. i obviously don't want to smell like hockey outside of hockey.

Gio fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 19, 2014

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Gio posted:

i'm gonna have to ask people i skate with if they care about the smell as much as you guys. not airing your stuff out creates a really bad stench but otherwise it's just...relatively inoffensive.

e: relative to playing hockey. i obviously don't want to smell like hockey outside of hockey.

I only air out my gear, too, arranging it all near the electric baseboard heater on my third floor for added drying power. As others have said, my gloves and skates don't smell great when they're wet, but they're fine dry, and the rest of my stuff seems to be just fine.

I used to spray it with a water alcohol mix before setting it out to dry, but I ran out and haven't replaced it.

I think letting stuff actually dry is the important part. If it's being aired out but never gets dry, there might still be stink issues.

Also, people sweat different amounts, and/or have different sweat chemistry, which can impact offensiveness level.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 19, 2014

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I'm having a crisis right now because with the advent of actual weather in California my husband has been smoking cigars in the garage...which is also where I air out my gear when it isn't sunny out. For the moment the gear gets stowed in the car (he doesn't want it in the house because oh no hitchhiking garage bugs) when a cigar is in progress, but I think the day when I unpack a delightful stale cigar stench into the locker room to is coming soon.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
The tub thing is weird. Get it all out of the bag and hang it up. Occasionally letting it bake outside in the sun also helps. Has anyone had their gear ozone cleaned? Like that fresh gear cyclone thing. They have one near me, and I have always been tempted to give it a shot.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I pump ozone into the small sealed area where I dry my gear. I think it helps a little but not as effective as the pro systems I am sure.

I might take mine this weekend to be cleaned. If so I will report back.

Also I guess we get our names engraved on the championship cup which is pretty cool. With playoffs we got 4 games of hockey for free between first round and finals, with 2 games going to shoot out. Great value.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

sellouts posted:

I pump ozone into the small sealed area where I dry my gear. I think it helps a little but not as effective as the pro systems I am sure.

I might take mine this weekend to be cleaned. If so I will report back.
If it smells like thunder, it has been effective. I used to work somewhere that shared warehouse with a sanitation(?) company, and whenever they took stuff out of their ozone chamber it used to smell like it just been a thunderstorm

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I only tub-soaked my gear (with soap) because one of my cats pissed in my bag during a health episode. Normally I just hang it on the little hockey tree thing as soon as I get home. One time I had it ozone-cleaned in one of those big machines but I gotta say I didn't really notice any tremendous difference.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I've run my stuff through the washer in the past, but over the last few years I just spray it with febreeze and hang dry it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I've tub washed my gear a few times but it seems to start smelling again really fast, like 2 weeks (and I air it out after every use too). One of the rinks around here has a Sani Sport machine and will clean your gear for $20, I might try that once and see how well it works.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I'm having a crisis right now because with the advent of actual weather in California my husband has been smoking cigars in the garage...which is also where I air out my gear when it isn't sunny out. For the moment the gear gets stowed in the car (he doesn't want it in the house because oh no hitchhiking garage bugs) when a cigar is in progress, but I think the day when I unpack a delightful stale cigar stench into the locker room to is coming soon.

In my experience, the stench of stale cigars could only improve the locker room atmosphere - and I don't like the smell of cigars. But you bring up an interesting point: my gloves survived a good five months of being hung up to air out without incident. It was only when we hit like late September and my garage no longer averaged 90 degrees+ that they began to acquire an odor, and I'm pretty sure it was because they weren't drying out fast enough, and their stench has probably quadrupled over the last month as we've had rainstorms and cold weather that has conspired to keep them damp for a week straight.

To combat this, I just got a small space heater that I can set up across from my pegboard and blast that poo poo dry, so hopefully that helps.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

lizardking posted:

The tub thing is weird. Get it all out of the bag and hang it up. Occasionally letting it bake outside in the sun also helps. Has anyone had their gear ozone cleaned? Like that fresh gear cyclone thing. They have one near me, and I have always been tempted to give it a shot.

I religiously hang everything when I get home and point small fans for a few hours and my gear is ready for use after about an hour or two, depending on weather. It smells like exercise equipment but nothing that scares my wife or anything.

If the palms feel stiff, there is probably a lot of dried salt and skin. I'll run boiling/close to boiling water through my gloves to rinse dried sweat and gunk out, maybe 3 times a year. I rinse out my goal mask sometimes as well but that's mostly an off-season thing.

I have never soaked my gear in a tub but I think not letting it sit damp prevents the need to.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Found some of Sean Skinner's stickhandling instruction videos posted in their entirety on youtube. The first two videos are really just drills, but the third one is definitely worth watching since it's where he demonstrates fakes and dangles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWlRwodWTBE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tz7RtQqou0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUzxI2ATUOA

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Loqieu posted:

Found some of Sean Skinner's stickhandling instruction videos posted in their entirety on youtube. The first two videos are really just drills, but the third one is definitely worth watching since it's where he demonstrates fakes and dangles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWlRwodWTBE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tz7RtQqou0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUzxI2ATUOA

These are my favorite drill videos. Ridiculously good poo poo and the music is so 90s it's almost hipster.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Habibi posted:

To combat this, I just got a small space heater that I can set up across from my pegboard and blast that poo poo dry, so hopefully that helps.

Rapid drying is definitely the best way to cure stink, it prevents the bacteria from having a chance to grow.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Habibi posted:

It was only when we hit like late September and my garage no longer averaged 90 degrees+ that they began to acquire an odor, and I'm pretty sure it was because they weren't drying out fast enough, and their stench has probably quadrupled over the last month as we've had rainstorms and cold weather that has conspired to keep them damp for a week straight.

This same reason my roller hockey gloves smell fine after 2 or 3 seasons, because my gear sits on my balcony to dry and in the summer when I play roller it gets tons of sun and is nice and warm out there.

My ice gloves I think probably never dry because theres so much moisture in the air and almost no sun in the winter.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

xzzy posted:

Quit tripping dudes and that won't happen.
You play your game and Ill play mine. NO ONE GETS TO THE GOALIE!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Almost there, the thing is flooded just need it to freeze.

Unfortunately it's not Illinois and I'm only here for a week and a half.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

Almost there, the thing is flooded just need it to freeze.

Unfortunately it's not Illinois and I'm only here for a week and a half.

Beauty. Looks gigantic. Most of the public rinks here in MN are now flooded, should be a week or two before they are ideal though

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, just by eyeballing I'd say it's about half NHL size.

Hopefully the temperature drops soon. :smith:

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
Had my third session last Tuesday and on Friday I Spent 3 hours with basically a whole rink to myself to just skate and work on handling the puck. It's really awesome in feeling the difference just those few hours of experience have me as to how much more comfortable I am skating with a puck and doing some stick handling. This week we're supposed to have a short scrimmage at the end of the session so it will be my first "game" scenario and I can't wait.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Played a pick up game yesterday. Somehow managed to take a puck off the inside of my right foot. Didn't really notice it in the cold, but right now the big toe doesn't like moving up and down while having nice yellow/blue color to it. Welp :( Just going to buddy it up with some tape and gauze to see how it feels in few days. Bit lucky my team got dumped out of the playoffs last week so no games until after New Years.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I had something like that happen to me. Foot was black and blue for a few weeks.

Speaking of skates what depth do people get sharpened at? I'm not sure how much I like a 1 inch cut. But never played with anything previously.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A 1 inch cut? Are you a goalie or Paul Coffey?

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
100/50 FBV

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

Well the shop here is not very good. Have to drive 2 hours to get a decent sharpening.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

I hardly know any goalies using 1" now. 1/2" is my standard on my goal skates.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Played a pick up game yesterday. Somehow managed to take a puck off the inside of my right foot. Didn't really notice it in the cold, but right now the big toe doesn't like moving up and down while having nice yellow/blue color to it. Welp :( Just going to buddy it up with some tape and gauze to see how it feels in few days. Bit lucky my team got dumped out of the playoffs last week so no games until after New Years.

The nice thing, if it can be called that, with your toes is that there is basically nothing you can do to them, short of severing them or shattering the bones into a million jagged pieces, that can't be fixed by taping them to restrict mobility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Thursday noon drop-in is canceled for the next two weeks what is this poo poo.