Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pointers
Sep 4, 2008

vodkat posted:

I'm the 23 - 66 % of women.
this but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

super smart and funny post here guys !!!!!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

meanwhile companies in other industries are happy to scoop up people who are too qualified for the tech sector but intimidating to fragile male technologist egos

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

super smart and funny post here guys !!!!!

please dont praise my posts bumpkin stymie youre ruining my brand

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FamDav posted:

bumpkin stymie

o_O

oh it's on now

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

from the d&d eastern europe thread

vegaji posted:

Facebook banned Russian internet users from seeing a pro-Navalny/anti-Kremlin protest in Manezhka for January 15: https://www.facebook.com/events/417200101767938/

(If you are in Russia--you cannot see this
If you have recently been in Russia or registered your FB account in Russia--you probably cannot see this, but can see it if you log out of Facebook)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nuclear power is good

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Captain Foo posted:

nuclear power is good

that's not possible, everything is bad

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

that's not possible, everything is bad

actually,

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

FamDav posted:

rotor raped and killed a woman in 1880

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

FamDav posted:

rotor raped and killed a woman in 80

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
has anyone posted about how amazon is the new kozmo.com yet?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

has anyone posted about how amazon is the new kozmo.com yet?

kozmo had a profitable retail and merchant business that subsidized a series of embarrassing product flops?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
no mostly the one hour nyc delivery.

my waifu runs the backend of that system so i'm pretty chuffed actually

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

no mostly the one hour nyc delivery.

my waifu runs the backend of that system so i'm pretty chuffed actually

it would've been funnier if you had said "managed the devs" because that would've been really small world right there.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

o_O

oh it's on now

lol

i guess now we are all sons of bitches stymies

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I was reading about the dot com bubble and lol

there's a penny stock company that has no products

they've been in business since the 80s and hadn't made a profit ever, the only revenue coming from designing various technical gizmos over the years nobody's ever heard of

they changed their name to e.Digital Corporation in 1999 and the stock price went from .06 to 25 dollars in January 2000 and back to .07 a month later

they're still in business and still have no products. I think they're a patent troll these days.

at least pets.com et al purported to have a product at some point

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*saved to wedding_ideas_pics*

itll go well with the plantation wedding

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

uber in the news again, this time because a driver tried to sexually assault a famous South African singer in her own driveway in Los Angeles

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i am taking uber to the train station tomorrow morning. pray for me

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i am taking uber to the train station tomorrow morning. pray for me

stay safe satan :ohdear:

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

reading about interviewing for tech jobs (http://lizmrush.com/on-interviewing/ thanks to tef's blog for the link) and wondering how the gently caress you would address something like 'i left this position because my manager hit on me' or 'i left this position because it was near impossible to be productive when my only coworker didnt take me seriously as a woman'
not that i really want to go back into computers but lol how do you even address that without raising "red flags" for being 'over-sensitive' or something like that

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pointers posted:

reading about interviewing for tech jobs (http://lizmrush.com/on-interviewing/ thanks to tef's blog for the link) and wondering how the gently caress you would address something like 'i left this position because my manager hit on me' or 'i left this position because it was near impossible to be productive when my only coworker didnt take me seriously as a woman'
not that i really want to go back into computers but lol how do you even address that without raising "red flags" for being 'over-sensitive' or something like that

hope you're interviewed by someone who isn't sexist

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

pointers posted:

if you think it's going to be a problem just give the standard we had different goals excuse for leaving and leave it at that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hell for startups just say they ran out of runway

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

it's pretty ridiculous to say that instead of saying sexual harassment you should lie about why you left

basically, tell the truth. if they think it's a problem they were a poo poo company in the first place

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its more about deflecting the question and not going negative. you're trying to sell yourself, keep stuff positive just like in any other sales environment

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i take questions on the breast

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

EVGA Longoria posted:

it's pretty ridiculous to say that instead of saying sexual harassment you should lie about why you left

basically, tell the truth. if they think it's a problem they were a poo poo company in the first place

True story: They're all poo poo companies

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

EVGA Longoria posted:

yeah you should be completely honest with everyone all the time

by all means, when the interviewer asks you about how your day is going, tell her about your hemorrhoids

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah you should be completely honest with everyone all the time

by all means, when the cashier asks you about how your day is going, tell her about your hemorrhoids

I may not have read your posts that day though?

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
never bad-mouth your previous company in a interview imo
frame it in terms of what you're looking for in the new job

if your previous boss smoked crack at work and held klan meetings in the lunch room, maybe you're looking for a professional work atmosphere with good management to help you grow as a professional, and you feel your interpersonal skills are better applied at a more diverse workplace

if there was a huge public scandal you can add meaningful pauses for the interviewer to nod sympathetically in

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

suffix posted:

the hardest for me was when i interviewed once and the interviewer started talking about how they loved epic megasystems

i managed to avoid saying that job quite literally nearly killed me but it was a close one

definitely didn't take that job though

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I have let negativity slip in interviews but it was more "startups, amiright?"

followed by sympathetic nods and a hug while I start weeping right there in the interview

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
then you roll over on your back on the conference room table and urinate a little to show that you accept their dominance

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

then you roll over on your back on the conference room table and urinate a little to show that you accept their dominance
ugh i hate 1x1 meetings with my boss

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

not before I timidly sniff all they butt holes though

text me at 1-800-need-pizza

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

suffix posted:

if your previous boss smoked crack at work and held klan meetings in the lunch room, maybe you're looking for a professional work atmosphere with good management to help you grow as a professional, and you feel your interpersonal skills are better applied at a more diverse workplace

if there was a huge public scandal you can add meaningful pauses for the interviewer to nod sympathetically in

this is a good post

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
the most fun you can have interviewing is when you already have a job you like

then you just go to the interview and basically say "ok, impress me"

also free lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Avenging Dentist posted:

the most fun you can have interviewing is when you already have a job you like

then you just go to the interview and basically say "ok, impress me"

also free lunch

I do this, but with unemployment and an over-inflated sense of self-worth.

• Locked thread