Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

computer parts posted:

Tyrion being a bastard ruins all of his characterization with Tywin.

It hurts my head when people eagerly theorize that Tyrion isn't Tywin's son, as if all the cool characters should be Targaryans.

The best aspect of Tyrion is that he is unquestionably Tywin's son and heir, only instead of Twin's outwardly stoic and honorably appearance contrasted with his inner ugliness, Tyrion is outwardly ugly yet inwardly moral and honorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Professor Shark posted:

It hurts my head when people eagerly theorize that Tyrion isn't Tywin's son, as if all the cool characters should be Targaryans.

The best aspect of Tyrion is that he is unquestionably Tywin's son and heir, only instead of Twin's outwardly stoic and honorably appearance contrasted with his inner ugliness, Tyrion is outwardly ugly yet inwardly moral and honorable.

Well, to a point. He directly prefers kiddie-diddling priests to ones that disrupt the status quo.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Well he still has most of Tywin's traits for the most part, practicality being the main one.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Tyrion is literally described by Tywin's sister and the coolest female character in the novels as 'Tywin writ small', if he's discovered to be Aerys' bastard son it will be one of the worst and most pointless twists in fantasy literature.

Seriously what purpose would it serve, The tension between Tywin and Tyrion requires no further twists, it's interesting because it seems like a real relationship, "All dwarves are bastards in their father's eyes" etc. Would Tyrion riding a dragon be such a cool underdog moment that people would be ok with undermining one of the most interesting relationships in the novels? For me it wouldn't, I really don't know why some people are so hot on this theory, it's awful.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Secret targ theories are the worst kind of theory.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Tyrion is literally described by Tywin's sister and the coolest female character in the novels as 'Tywin writ small', if he's discovered to be Aerys' bastard son it will be one of the worst and most pointless twists in fantasy literature.

Seriously what purpose would it serve, The tension between Tywin and Tyrion requires no further twists, it's interesting because it seems like a real relationship, "All dwarves are bastards in their father's eyes" etc. Would Tyrion riding a dragon be such a cool underdog moment that people would be ok with undermining one of the most interesting relationships in the novels? For me it wouldn't, I really don't know why some people are so hot on this theory, it's awful.

I don't think I'm hot on it, but I can certainly see the argument that there's some light evidence/foreshadowing for it. It would still be bad.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

It hurts my head when people eagerly theorize that Tyrion isn't Tywin's son, as if all the cool characters should be Targaryens.

I honestly love the theory that Tywin's other children are secret Targs. It makes the "rightful heir" situation more complex, too, since Cersei's incest children would arguably have a better claim to the throne than any of king Robert's descendants. But as far as authorial intent goes, I'm pretty sure that Tywin's children's paternity is not going to be important to the plot.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

He is the ice to Dany's fire, though. Like, their position in Dance is almost the same: Reluctant ruler of a place in shambles, army of "free people" they can't really utilize in a meaningful way, pet monsters, and both have the most boring chapters this side of Bran.

Dany's pooping in a desert and is never going to accomplish anything either.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tyrion is Tywin's only legitimate child.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hakkesshu posted:

It would have been truly poetic had Jon peed off the Wall before getting shanked.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

PresidentBeard posted:

Tyrion is Tywin's only legitimate child.

what?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

There are two major clues that Jamie and Cersei are Targaryans. One is the hair color and I'm sure you can figure out the other one for yourself.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

There are two major clues that Jamie and Cersei are Targaryans. One is the hair color and I'm sure you can figure out the other one for yourself.

cmon son

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

so every blonde character is a targ?

also the incest thing is more likely due to twin perversion rather than the targaryen inbreeding ways.

I thought targaryens were described as having silver hair anyways.

also, wouldnt there be a million logistical issues with the twins being targs?

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

computer parts posted:

He asked the creators of the show who Jon's parents were and they answered correctly.

Do you have a cite for this? I recall reading about the meeting between the show creators and GRRM, and read that GRRM asked if they knew who the father of a "popular character" was, that D&D gave an unspecified answer and that GRRM did not confirm or deny it but just smiled at them. If there is an account that has more specific information I'd love to read it, because I assumed that the accounts that GRRM confirmed R+L=J to the show creators was the typical spin that the posters at asoiaf.westeros.org gave to the same account I read. They are really obsessed with that theory over there, and I agree it seems likely, but there's lots of other interpretations of Jon's parentage that fit the text exactly as well. Oddly, until TWoIaF came out, the A+J=T theory was considered to be totally crackpot and people who proposed that on the forums were usually mocked. When TWoIaF revealed that Joanna left the Westerlands and came to Kings Landing right before Tyrion was conceived, some people take it more seriously but the majority there still say it's impossible that Tyrion has Targaryan blood.

Different ways the meeting could have gone down:

GRRM - Who are Jon Snow's parents?
D&D - Rhaegar and Lyanna.
GRRM smiles because he knows it was Ned and Ashara Dayne

or

GRRM - who are Tyrion's parents?
D&D - Umm, Tywin and Joanna?
GRRM smiles because he knows it was Aerys and Joanna

The thing is, if one of the other theories about Jon's parentage turns out to be true, a lot of the fans are going to accuse GRRM of changing the story because they were smart enough to guess, based on that account of GRRM finding a theory that was accurate about the ending of the series on a message board in the 90s, they are convinced he is talking specifically about Jon. I have my doubts - for one thing, he said the fan theory was about the ending of the series - I could see how maybe he might end it with Jon discovering who his parents are, but that seems more like something revealed in the second to the last book, why have Jon die, come back, accomplish everything he is going to do in the series, and THEN find out he is a Targaryan?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

also the incest thing is more likely due to twin perversion rather than the targaryen inbreeding ways.

I'm positive there is at least one line in the books where Cersei's and Jamie's hair was described to be "so blond as to be almost white". For the record, I do not believe that incest is inheritable, but it would be pretty GRRM to make it an inheritable feature in his magical Aryan super-race.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TommyGun85 posted:

Same source as for the 'Tyrion is a targ' rumours: Aerys shagged Mrs Lannister at some point.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

How does the "incest is an inherited trait" thing keep on coming up :confused:

Two things:
a) They started loving because they are both huge pathological narcissists and oh hey here's a person who looks exactly like beautiful beautiful me, let's do this
b) Incest is not genetic what even the hell

e: Oh and a third thing, yellow and white are not the same color hth

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

loquacius posted:

How does the "incest is an inherited trait" thing keep on coming up :confused:

Two things:
a) They started loving because they are both huge pathological narcissists and oh hey here's a person who looks exactly like beautiful beautiful me, let's do this
b) Incest is not genetic what even the hell

e: Oh and a third thing, yellow and white are not the same color hth

Yes, I said something like that in my second post :)

On the other hand, this is still a fantasy novel and the Targaryans are a fantasy-as-gently caress family/bloodline/whatever, so if GRRM wanted to make the Targs inherently incestuous there is absolutely no reason why he couldn't.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Technically they started loving cause after Joanna died Tywin had such a huge blind spot for his golden twins he ignored all signs of their incestuous relationship.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm pretty sure the reason for Targaryen incest was to keep the blood of Old Valyria *~pure~*; really the only magical thing about it is that they managed to last that many generations without turning into sterile mutated inbred freaks

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Technically they started loving cause after Joanna died Tywin had such a huge blind spot for his golden twins he ignored all signs of their incestuous relationship.

No, that's why they didn't stop loving, not why they started :eng101:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

loquacius posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason for Targaryen incest was to keep the blood of Old Valyria *~pure~*; really the only magical thing about it is that the Targaryens lasted that many generations without turning into sterile mutated inbred freaks

They didn't really keep up with the custom for that long, and there were always other houses with Valyrian ancestry they mixed around with, Aerys had been the first targaryen to have married his sister after almost a century iirc.

quote:

No, that's why they didn't stop loving, not why they started :eng101:

They were eight when she died and she figured out what they were up to before that, had she still been around she wouldn't have let them keep it up.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 21, 2014

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I'm sure you could discover all kinds of fascinating psychological justifications for why other Targs banged their sisters, should Martin ever choose to write about it. Thing is, it doesn't really change a thing about Cersei and Jamie. They are siblings, blond, and they have sex with each other. Also, one seems to go crazy, and one seems to turn out alright. All this can be explained away, but it could also be because they are Targs. That's the beauty of these kinds of theories, and I certainly find this particular theory more compelling that the one about Tyrion being a Targ.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Same, Tyrion being Targaryen would be ridiculous when it's thematically set up (and more interesting) that he's Tywin's real slash only heir.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Apoplexy posted:

Same, Tyrion being Targaryen would be ridiculous when it's thematically set up (and more interesting) that he's Tywin's real slash only heir.

Thing is that he's already Tywin's sole heir, Jaime is a kingsguard, Cersei a woman and all her children are bastards. Since the first book the reader knows that Tyrion is Tywin's only legitimate heir, that conflict is already there even without a superfluous discovery that the twins are secret bastards, what would it even add to the story at this point when Tywin is already dead. Not to mention that it would ultimately be very similar to the discovery of Joff's parentage, only with less consequence.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Speaking of theories, Watchers on the Wall talked a bit about the Valonqar prophecy, which WILL be introduced in the show.

It's mostly stuff we've covered before, but one novel theory I hadn't heard that I found rather enticing is this:

The Valonqar is Tommen. How could it be her lil' tubby king if he's supposed to die before she does? Simple: he dies during a white walker invasion of King's Landing, turns into a wight and chokes the life out of her with his new-found wight strength. I like.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Do you have a cite for this? I recall reading about the meeting between the show creators and GRRM, and read that GRRM asked if they knew who the father of a "popular character" was, that D&D gave an unspecified answer and that GRRM did not confirm or deny it but just smiled at them. If there is an account that has more specific information I'd love to read it, because I assumed that the accounts that GRRM confirmed R+L=J to the show creators was the typical spin that the posters at asoiaf.westeros.org gave to the same account I read. They are really obsessed with that theory over there, and I agree it seems likely, but there's lots of other interpretations of Jon's parentage that fit the text exactly as well. Oddly, until TWoIaF came out, the A+J=T theory was considered to be totally crackpot and people who proposed that on the forums were usually mocked. When TWoIaF revealed that Joanna left the Westerlands and came to Kings Landing right before Tyrion was conceived, some people take it more seriously but the majority there still say it's impossible that Tyrion has Targaryan blood.

Different ways the meeting could have gone down:

GRRM - Who are Jon Snow's parents?
D&D - Rhaegar and Lyanna.
GRRM smiles because he knows it was Ned and Ashara Dayne

or

GRRM - who are Tyrion's parents?
D&D - Umm, Tywin and Joanna?
GRRM smiles because he knows it was Aerys and Joanna

The thing is, if one of the other theories about Jon's parentage turns out to be true, a lot of the fans are going to accuse GRRM of changing the story because they were smart enough to guess, based on that account of GRRM finding a theory that was accurate about the ending of the series on a message board in the 90s, they are convinced he is talking specifically about Jon. I have my doubts - for one thing, he said the fan theory was about the ending of the series - I could see how maybe he might end it with Jon discovering who his parents are, but that seems more like something revealed in the second to the last book, why have Jon die, come back, accomplish everything he is going to do in the series, and THEN find out he is a Targaryan?

in the time it took you to write this post out you could have googled it and found plenty of articles/interviews where grrm or d&d literally say that they guessed jon snow's parents correctly. here is one http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/george-r-r-martin-outtakes-from-the-rolling-stone-interview-20140428

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hakkesshu posted:

She's actually not in a desert.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Yeah she's more pooping in a grassland so at least her pooping will lead to something productive, plant-growth wise.

Bonesnap
Oct 9, 2007
If Tyrion is a Targaryen, then Jaime and Tyrion are half-brothers who each killed the others' real father, though neither realizes it. This adds weight to "Tyrion is your only true heir" or however Tywin's sister said it as a metaphorical statement, because she could be saying that despite not coming straight from Tywin, Tyrion was the one who understood his lessons and took them to heart, a nature vs. nurture situation.

If Jaime and Cersei are actually Targaryens, then Jaime and Tyrion are half-brothers who each killed their own father, though neither realizes it. This adds weight to "Tyrion is your only true heir" as a literal statement, and says the opposite about nature vs. nurture.

I don't believe either of these situations will happen, but to say it completely ruins the dynamic between Tywin and his kids is dumb, if anything it adds more depth and dramatic irony to the situation. In one situation Tywin has to cope with his two beautiful children being unrelated to him while he only managed to produce a disfigured dwarf. In the other situation his two real children are nothing like him and can't inherit, while the child who actually takes after him and can inherit isn't actually his. Both of these situations go a lot further in explaining why Tywin was such a dick than "people made fun of his dad". We've also been told multiple times that Aerys was into Joanna and I believe World of Ice and Fire confirmed they had an affair to some extent.

I could possibly see GRRM putting more into the next books that confirms this for the readers, but I doubt Tyrion or Jaime will ever find out.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

romanowski posted:

in the time it took you to write this post out you could have googled it and found plenty of articles/interviews where grrm or d&d literally say that they guessed jon snow's parents correctly. here is one http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/george-r-r-martin-outtakes-from-the-rolling-stone-interview-20140428

See, I had read an account of the meeting from the perspective of D&D, and it said that they were asked a question about a "certain characters" parentage and when they answered GRRM did not confirm or deny but only smiled. I did not realize GRRM had given his, more detailed, account to Rolling Stone. So, we have confirmation that D&Ds guess was correct. Do we have a cite of what their guess was?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There's also the story of GRRM telling Alfie Allen who Jon's real parents were in return for meeting his sister or something, and he said "it involves a bit of a Luke Skywalker situation". (Ned is Obi-Wan in that analogy, I guess?)

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm positive there is at least one line in the books where Cersei's and Jamie's hair was described to be "so blond as to be almost white". For the record, I do not believe that incest is inheritable, but it would be pretty GRRM to make it an inheritable feature in his magical Aryan super-race.
It is actually Tyrion who is described like this.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

loquacius posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason for Targaryen incest was to keep the blood of Old Valyria *~pure~*; really the only magical thing about it is that they managed to last that many generations without turning into sterile mutated inbred freaks

You're forgetting Maelys the Monstrous here.

Also Aerys had that King Charles of Spain thing going on. One of my favorite bits in World of ice and fire is hearing all his half baked but massively grand ideas. Irrigate all of Dorne! Reclaim the true North from the wildings! Build a new wall!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

See, I had read an account of the meeting from the perspective of D&D, and it said that they were asked a question about a "certain characters" parentage and when they answered GRRM did not confirm or deny but only smiled. I did not realize GRRM had given his, more detailed, account to Rolling Stone. So, we have confirmation that D&Ds guess was correct. Do we have a cite of what their guess was?

no but seeing as how the prevailing theory for a decade and a half has been R+L=J i think we can be reasonably certain that that's what their guess was. anyway why does this matter again, i forgot

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Wallet Inspector posted:

It is actually Tyrion who is described like this.

Are you sure? I've done a quick search to refresh my memory and only found Tyron described as something I always imagined to be dishwater blond. That may very well be me mixing up the descriptions with Peter Dinklage's hair color though.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Grendels Dad posted:

Are you sure? I've done a quick search to refresh my memory and only found Tyron described as something I always imagined to be dishwater blond. That may very well be me mixing up the descriptions with Peter Dinklage's hair color though.

Yeah, you're thinking of Peter Dinklage. Tyrion's hair in the books is pale blond.

quote:

Then he saw the other one, waddling along half-hidden by his brother’s side. Tyrion Lannister, the youngest of Lord Tywin’s brood and by
far the ugliest. All that the gods had given to Cersei and Jaime, they had denied Tyrion. He was a dwarf, half his brother’s height, struggling
to keep pace on stunted legs. His head was too large for his body, with a brute’s squashed-in face beneath a swollen shelf of brow. One green
eye and one black one peered out from under a lank fall of hair so blond it seemed white.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

My bad, then. Theory retracted, mostly. Thanks for looking that up.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe Tyrion finally meets his end when he learns that there's a chance that he could be a Targ, and so he tries to ride the third dragon only to be casually tossed thousands of feet to the earth on his first dragon ride. That would satisfy both theories: he's the third head of the dragon and a huge factor in the series's resolution right until the very end but even from the grave Tywin gets the last laugh by being his true father after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
HBO is running promos previewing next year's program line up and it includes some very brief clips of next season.

Around the 1:38 mark.
http://youtu.be/EeoTrEKBC_k

• Locked thread